Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,529 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation (666 Views)

Egypt Devaluation To Test CBN Resolve On Naira / Egyptian Devaluation Backfires -- Nigeria, Be Thankful!!! / What Is Devaluation Of Naira? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by ponti93(m): 10:29pm On Feb 26, 2016
What has Nigeria ever benefitted from devaluation of the naira? I mean, in the late 70's, $1 equals 80kobo. When we decided to devalue our naira, making $1 to be equal to N190, what exactly have we benefitted from such exercise? Also, If we further devalue the naira as some people are advocating, what do we stand to gain? Or, let me put it this way. The first time we devalue our naira, what if we didn't do it? What would we have lost ? And now, If we refuse to devalue, what do we stand to lose?
I need economic education
@mrpounds93
Re: How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by iskuburi407: 11:24pm On Feb 26, 2016
I'm not economists but I have to write something, I don't know
Re: How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by Truth234(m): 3:12am On Feb 27, 2016
Devaluation was done based on Nigerian economic situation as at the time. For instance, prior to oil discovery, Nigeria was a huge exporting nation, we export timber, cocoa, rubber, etc. and our tourism was good, I mean tourists across the world travel to Nigeria and spend money that help sustained our foreign exchange but after independence and the war that lasted for over 3 years. Things changed but not that much as we've started increasing our oil export.

In 1973, Nigeria devalued naira for the first time by 10% because US had gone ahead and devalued dollar by 10% to boost their exports, so it is normal we do the same since naira was too strong and our exports was hurting. The result was satisfactory, our foreign reserves grew by 773.5% in 1974. One notable factor that contributed to such result was the Arab-Israeli war.

After which the government and private sector focus on increasing oil production, which skyrocket oil contribution to export from 32.7% in 1966 to about 94% in 1976, but because oil prices fluctuate depending on global market we were unable to maintain stable foreign reserves, hence, foreign reserves plummeted.

In 1982, in an effort to contain the situation and our love for import/finished goods. Shehu Shagari passed Economic Stabilization Act to restrict imports and encourage local manufacturers, but that didn't work as most Nigerians have started enjoying imported goods, because it was cheaper. Only few people capitalized on the situation and built Business Empire, one of them is Aliko Dangote.

Devaluation like every monetary policy is a tool to help sustain manufacturing/export dependent economy by lowering currency value to increase exports but because we don't really have much to export now, it may not be the right tool and I don't think it will ever be until we diversify and develop other sectors to generate multiple foreign exchange.

To your question, if we didn't devalue, market forces (scarce foreign exchange, lack of exports, etc) will devalue for us, like we are seeing now.

So devaluation was borne out of necessity due to lack of long-term strategy and foresight, it’s near impossible to build an empire on an unstable income.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by ponti93(m): 10:46pm On Feb 28, 2016
Truth234:
Devaluation was done based on Nigerian economic situation as at the time. For instance, prior to oil discovery, Nigeria was a huge exporting nation, we export timber, cocoa, rubber, etc. and our tourism was good, I mean tourists across the world travel to Nigeria and spend money that help sustained our foreign exchange but after independence and the war that lasted for over 3 years. Things changed but not that much as we've started increasing our oil export.

In 1973, Nigeria devalued naira for the first time by 10% because US had gone ahead and devalued dollar by 10% to boost their exports, so it is normal we do the same since naira was too strong and our exports was hurting. The result was satisfactory, our foreign reserves grew by 773.5% in 1974. One notable factor that contributed to such result was the Arab-Israeli war.

After which the government and private sector focus on increasing oil production, which skyrocket oil contribution to export from 32.7% in 1966 to about 94% in 1976, but because oil prices fluctuate depending on global market we were unable to maintain stable foreign reserves, hence, foreign reserves plummeted.

In 1982, in an effort to contain the situation and our love for import/finished goods. Shehu Shagari passed Economic Stabilization Act to restrict imports and encourage local manufacturers, but that didn't work as most Nigerians have started enjoying imported goods, because it was cheaper. Only few people capitalized on the situation and built Business Empire, one of them is Aliko Dangote.

Devaluation like every monetary policy is a tool to help sustain manufacturing/export dependent economy by lowering currency value to increase exports but because we don't really have much to export now, it may not be the right tool and I don't think it will ever be until we diversify and develop other sectors to generate multiple foreign exchange.

To your question, if we didn't devalue, market forces (scarce foreign exchange, lack of exports, etc) will devalue for us, like we are seeing now.

So devaluation was borne out of necessity due to lack of long-term strategy and foresight, it’s near impossible to build an empire on an unstable income.
thank you

1 Like

Re: How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by Emmyk(m): 11:10pm On Feb 28, 2016
Very explicit @Truth cool

1 Like

Re: How Has/ How Will Nigeria Benefitted From Devaluation by straneur(m): 5:05am On Feb 29, 2016
Emmyk:
Very explicit @Truth cool

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria To Start Producing Pencils By 2018 - Minister Of Science And Technology / Fiverr Funds For Sale / I Dont Know If It Is Just Me But Www.nairaland.com Does Not Open Directly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.