Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,642 members, 7,809,412 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

'Fate' Of One's Child/Spouse Practicing A Different Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 'Fate' Of One's Child/Spouse Practicing A Different Religion (695 Views)

A different View on COZA Sex Scandal / What Makes You A Different Christian? / What Will Be The Fate Of Those Mentally Challenged on Judgement Day? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

'Fate' Of One's Child/Spouse Practicing A Different Religion by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 13, 2009
Sorry if this thread has already been created, I tried to search for any similar threads but I could not find any.

I have always wondered about couples (married or not) who practice different religions and have children. If it is the case in which the child/children are brought up on a religious foundation in the home, it would be impossible for the children to practice both religions and therefore in most cases will have to pick one, either their mother’s or father’s (I know in some cases children do not even necessarily practice any of their parent’s religions but I’m concentrating on those that do). I am of the impression that in both religions, it is believed that any unbeliever will perish in hell. The parents will know this and yet their children may not practice the same religion as them knowing full well the ‘fate’ of unbelievers, how do you know or think they cope knowing that their children or even wife/husband will not be joining them in ‘eternal life’ (heaven) when it is time for them to leave earth or are such things not even thought about/considered by the couples in question? I’m just curious.

Your input will very much be appreciated, thanks.
Re: 'Fate' Of One's Child/Spouse Practicing A Different Religion by JeSoul(f): 5:04pm On Jul 13, 2009
ibkaye:

how do you know or think they cope knowing that their children or even wife/husband will not be joining them in ‘eternal life’ (heaven) when it is time for them to leave earth or are such things not even thought about/considered by the couples in question?

I think that in a marriage where both spouses 'practise' different religions, they will probably not be dedicated, devoted, devout, faithful or serious practicioners of their supposed religion. That's the only way such a marriage can work.

I think the couple will only be of a religion by 'name' only as faithful and devout adherents of either religion (esp christian & muslim) cannot have a unified marriage.
Re: 'Fate' Of One's Child/Spouse Practicing A Different Religion by mnwankwo(m): 6:01pm On Jul 13, 2009
ibkaye:

Sorry if this thread has already been created, I tried to search for any similar threads but I could not find any.

I have always wondered about couples (married or not) who practice different religions and have children. If it is the case in which the child/children are brought up on a religious foundation in the home, it would be impossible for the children to practice both religions and therefore in most cases will have to pick one, either their mother’s or father’s (I know in some cases children do not even necessarily practice any of their parent’s religions but I’m concentrating on those that do). I am of the impression that in both religions, it is believed that any unbeliever will perish in hell. The parents will know this and yet their children may not practice the same religion as them knowing full well the ‘fate’ of unbelievers, how do you know or think they cope knowing that their children or even wife/husband will not be joining them in ‘eternal life’ (heaven) when it is time for them to leave earth or are such things not even thought about/considered by the couples in question? I’m just curious.

Your input will very much be appreciated, thanks.

Human beings should spend more time living according to the laws or commandments of God than worrying whether or not their spouse or child will follow their religion. Religion no matter what name it is called will not lead any man to God and it is strange that  so much emphasis is being put on ones religion. The nature of our words, thoughts, motives, action etc are the things that leads us to God or forms a wall of separation from God. The true nature of each individual is what is decisive for the laws of God and that should also be decisive for human relationships including marriage. Gold is gold whether it is in the hand of a prince or a begger. A truely honest man or woman will remain so whether or not he identifies himself as a christian, moslem, budhist, taoist, etc. Besides every child is a gift of God and will at a certain stage follow its own part which may or may not be in line with that of the parents. A husband or wife should love God with all his heart and soul and love his neighbour as himself. That is what is important. And if one is able to live both inwardly and outwardly this supreme commandment of love, then ones activities will be permeated with honesty, compassion, trutthfullness, kindness, chastity, selflessness, and all other virtues which comes from the power of God. Children growing up in such a home have the strongest spiritual support and the outward religion their parents identifies with is inconsequential. Parents who still secretly or outwardly wish that their children will follow them in their religious beliefs have not yet found God even when they think they have found God. He or she who have recognised God have no wish for his child or indeed any other person to follow his outward religious foot  steps. The duty of such a person is live inwardly as well as outwardly according to the laws of God so that in him or her, his or her child will have a faint reflection of what it actually means to serve God. Our activities (not our religion), especially the secret ones define what we are and vibrations from our activities (especially the secret ones) pervades our homes and children uncounsciously tap into it. It should not bother you whether your child becomes a catholic priest, a buddhist monk, a pentecostal pastor, a taoist etc but you have to be bothered if he or she lies, muders  and is engaged in evil activities either openly or surreptitiously. Stay blessed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

On Creating The World / If Wildone Can Be Banned, Then Abuzola Deserves Nothing Less / Church Again?!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.