Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:57 AM

See The Top Food Superstitions Most Nigerians Are Guilty Of Believing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / See The Top Food Superstitions Most Nigerians Are Guilty Of Believing (586 Views)

9 Nigerian Superstitions That Will Frighten You / 10 Really Dumb Things Nigerians Are Fond Of Doing / "Nigerians Are Not All Scammers And Fraudsters" Swiss Woman Reveals (VIDEO) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

See The Top Food Superstitions Most Nigerians Are Guilty Of Believing by Fcortez: 2:31pm On Mar 03, 2016
The other day on social media, I shared how I was with friends and we got talking about food and superstitions. That conversation made me realize that though we are one nation, Nigerians from different parts avoid different foods, for different reasons.
Do superstitions hold water at all? I remember growing up as a child I saw other kids flap their hands whenever a white bird was flying across the sky and I started to do same. That gesture was believed to leave some beautiful white spots on the nails, but I never checked first before flapping to be sure the spots were not the ones I already naturally have. I guess that was the trick! Lol…
In this post, I have gathered and want to share some superstitions relating to food with you.
CAVEAT EMPTOR: If you choose to believe in any of the below listed superstitions, you do so strictly on your own.

• When you make a wish and blow out the candles on your birthday cake, the genie brings it to come to pass (Yeah right! You better work hard!)
• If you love eating egg as a child, you will grow up into a thief! (For where)
• While cooking, if you taste and find your food to be too salty, pour some salt into the fire and the food will lose the extra saltiness (super story!! Lol)
• Coconut water neutralizes poison (True but depends on seriousness/amount of poison)
• Eating snails make you slow; it could also make you spit (and there was this person I thought was pregnant all along!)
• Some states like Akwa Ibom and Cross river eat dog meat; most other states do not even believe it’s a meat to be eaten
• Spilling salt is considered a sign of ill luck (who isn’t guilty of this one)
• Garlic wards off vampires (I believe this one because I don’t even believe in vampires :-D)
• Gifting someone a knife is wrong, as it means you are cutting ties with them
• If you slice through a loaf of bread only to discover a hole inside, then someone you know or that is close to you will die soon (bakers, beware!)
• If you take bananas to the boat, you won’t catch any fish! (Are fishes scared of bananas now?)
• Do not talk about your bad dreams at the dining table, lest they come true. (Yeah right!)
• It is believed that ‘fuku’ (that soft, bloated meat part) has the tendency to make one angry, if eaten (my colleagues swear it’s true!)

Hope you found some, if not all of these superstitions, interesting? Now, share some of the food superstitions you know with us at http://grozzr.com/blog/no-thanks-im-not-hungry/
Re: See The Top Food Superstitions Most Nigerians Are Guilty Of Believing by Emmatdayo(m): 2:40pm On Mar 03, 2016

(1) (Reply)

Ambition / Someone Should Please Show This To NASS (picture) / BREAKING: Tunji Braithwaite Dies At 82.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.