Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,672 members, 7,823,898 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

The Wonder Of Seat Belts - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Wonder Of Seat Belts (39540 Views)

How To Check If Your Seat Belts Are Properly Working / The Origin Of 3-point Seat Belts / Why Do The FRSC Insists On Front Seat Belts Only? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Wonder Of Seat Belts by ademoladeji(m): 9:45am On Mar 07, 2016
With the way the Minister of State for Labour and Productivity, Hon James Ocholi (SAN) died in a fatal motor accident along Abuja – Kaduna road while travelling with his son and wife, I wondered why his Orderly and Driver were both spared. The answer I got was SEAT BELT

How Do Seat Belts Work?

When the brakes are applied sharply or when the car is impacting something, the vehicle may be stopped, but due to inertia, the passengers motion will keep moving forward. Seat belts can help restrain that motion. Inside, the retractor has a silver-colored bead that is slightly larger than a ball bearing. The movement of the ball due to the vehicle deceleration that is occurring (either brake application or vehicle impact), results in an actuator moving up to lock the spool rotation, locking of the seat belts.

What Is a Pretensioner?

To help increase passenger protection, the Pretensioner reduces the slack between the seat belt and the passenger’s body during a collision. When a collision occurs, the pretensioner is activated and the power generated by the micro gas generator instantly recoils some webbing back into its housing. This enhances the effectiveness of the seatbelt by bringing the passenger as close to the seat as possible.
The sequence for this is as follows: The signal from the sensors is transmitted to the ECU (electronic control unit) which determines if a collision has occurred. If this is the case, a signal is sent to the pretensioners in the seat-belt system initiating the webbing retraction. The Pretensioner in the belt almost instantaneously winds webbing back into its housing, removing all slack.
Pretensioners may be installed in various places. In some vehicles, the Pretensioner is in the retractor. In other vehicles, the Pretensioner is part of the buckle assembly. Additionally, some vehicle may have both.

How Strong Are Seat Belts?

The belt portion of the seat belt system is commonly called “webbing.” Approximately 300 polyester fibers are woven finely into a single belt. With this number of fibers, the strength of the belt has been measured to hold a weight of about three tons.

http://www.takata.com/en/around/seatbelt03.html

Either you're seated in the front seat or the rear, always afford to use your seat belt. It saves lives!!!

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by drstainlex: 9:49am On Mar 07, 2016
keke na pep (Tricycle) need seat bet too...

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by balash(m): 5:05pm On Mar 07, 2016
Affirmative!!

1 Like

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by timidapsin(m): 9:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
Sometimes i wish i was a seat-belt undecided

190 Likes 16 Shares

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by justmenoni: 9:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
Na hin u get?

quote author=drstainlex post=43550443] keke na pep (Tricycle) need seat bet too...[/quote]

1 Like

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Donmams(m): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2016
OP, the driver just died.

9 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by winkmart: 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2016
its well.
public bus nko
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Dollyak(f): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2016
I love the educational topics going on front page lately. Sadly it appears the minister's family might have survived if they had seat belt on.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing obviously, but majority of Nigerians don't seem to wear seat belts

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Gombs(m): 9:08pm On Mar 07, 2016
educative.

thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Nobody: 9:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
BOOKIN CODE
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by macino1(m): 9:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nice educative info. Trust Nigerians, they will only use seat belt whenever they sight FRSC

18 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Depot(m): 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
Only in Nigeria they remind people to use seat belts. Most times, only the driver and the person sitting in the front do use.

3 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by galarbagalapazy(m): 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
ina zuwa
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by alonzoiv(m): 9:10pm On Mar 07, 2016
OP, the driver has been reported dead. RIP to him also.

2 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by yemajiteru(m): 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
Rubbish...
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
drstainlex:
keke na pep (Tricycle) need seat bet too...
JUST AS YOU NEED BRAIN

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Nobody: 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
D driver don die oo grin

3 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by neejay1986(m): 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2016
The last time my car got stocked somewhere, it was the car seat belt at the back I was forced to cut to pulled it out.

The rope eye strong gidigan ni ooo
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by favour136: 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
timidapsin:

better wake up.

3 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by wolewolsz(m): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
RIP to the dead
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Flexherbal(m): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
A well composed write up.
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by hiz: 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
Informative. Thanks!
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by missKiffy(f): 9:12pm On Mar 07, 2016
Seatbelt saves life's, but in naija people only wear seatbelt so that they won't be caught by Road Safety officials

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Drinkwater(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
I wish the driver was spared
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by wiloy2k8(m): 9:13pm On Mar 07, 2016
Good... but they all died
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by timidapsin(m): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
favour136:

better wake up.
wasnt sleeping dear.

1 Like

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by Kelklein(m): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2016
when God decides that it's time ...seatbelt or no seatbelt you have to answer the call

Let's just pray for the peaceful repose of their Soul (the five of them)

angryangryangry

3 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by ademega(m): 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
hmmm
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by kay29000(m): 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
Okay.
Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by BE811APP: 9:15pm On Mar 07, 2016
ALl bcuz a Minister died yesterday...

we no go hear word...from tire burst to Seat belts..

we all know dis...

The common man dies everyday no one gives a flying fvck what dey use or the road dey use..

I sympathize with the family tho.

5 Likes

Re: The Wonder Of Seat Belts by holluwai(m): 9:16pm On Mar 07, 2016
Me too cry

But I'm worse grin

timidapsin:

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Buy This 2018 Toyota Century Car For N55 Million? / This Nigerian's Response To British Man's Tweet About Car Horns Is Hilarious / Check Out The Audi A8 5.5 With Rice Cooker, Exclusive Only For Japan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.