Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,544 members, 7,816,324 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Full Gist Of Graduate Selling Akara In Abuja - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Full Gist Of Graduate Selling Akara In Abuja (1238 Views)

BANTS: Full Gist On Daddy Freeze And Timi Dakolo's Beef / Where Can I Find This Beautiful Girl Selling Akara? / Checkout Chinese Man Seen Waiting To Buy Akara In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Full Gist Of Graduate Selling Akara In Abuja by UtakoCrescent: 4:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
DAILY TRUST: Meet graduate who prefers frying, selling Akara to white-collar job
It started like a joke, that is, a joke to the gentlemen.

Chinenye Sarah-Mary Odili was throwing enquiries at the Zangon Daura estate roundabout in Kado, Abuja. She looked dapper in a suit; her physique was cute; and she spoke Queen’s English. So it must have been a joke that she would be asking for space-where she could settle down to fry Akara (bean cake) for sale.

One day in January last year, Chinenye had left home with N3,000, chartered a Keke NAPEP and instructed the driver to driver her round some areas of Abuja metropolis. Her mission: scouting for a vantage location to start a trade, selling Akara.

Selling Akara? The gentlemen she approached would have been more bewildered if they had known right away that the figure before them was an accountancy graduate of the University of Abuja. Her appearance gave away substance-of sorts.

Your average Akara seller is not considered well educated or even literate. The stereotype is that of a woman, at best a secondary school dropout, without hope of landing a high-paying office job, without the finance and intellect to start a meaning small-scale business.

Intending entrepreneurs will first conclude selling Akara is dirty and degrading than ever consider its promise of profits. So this lady uttering impeccable English can only be a joke. But 26-year-old Chinenye is not. It was a career aberration, but she had it all figured out.

From 2010, the Anambra State indigene swotted for her accountancy degree, with time to spare for extracurricular activism. She was vice-president of the National Association of Anambra Students, director-general of the Nigerian Federation of Catholic Students and then a chapter vice-president before graduating in 2014.

After graduation, Chinenye, naturally hyperactive, began to dread life of boredom at home before youth service in 2015.

“When I finished my project, I felt I could not just stay at home doing nothing while I waited for my youth service to start. I could not really get full-time employment without the NYSC certificate, and November 2015 seemed too far away. I could not wait that long doing nothing,” she told Daily Trust.

She was unsure exactly what she wanted to do, but she knew she had to do something.

Read more at http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/encounters/meet-graduate-who-prefers-frying-selling-akara-to-blue-collar-job/136610.html#Wym64aWC8MMqicBz.99

Re: Full Gist Of Graduate Selling Akara In Abuja by greatbrian(m): 4:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
Hmmmm

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Elderly Woman Carries Her Generator On Head To Buy Fuel In Calabar / How To Start Mobile Marketing Business In Nigeria / Please Help :i Want To Join The Nigerian Army

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.