Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,415 members, 7,815,934 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:16 PM

Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? (1447 Views)

How I Was Defrauded By Zenith Bank Staff Or Firstbank Atm With Fake #1000 Notes / How I Was Defrauded By Abiodun, Badmus And A Chinese Merchant (paypal Funds) / How Bankers Defrauded Wema Bank, CBN – Witness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 8:10pm On Mar 09, 2016
I purchase some stuff on amazon today before making the payment I was given the total amount of my transaction in NAIRA, a function on Amazon which helps buyers to know the actual amount they are actually paying in their local currency.

After confirming how much I am to pay in NAIRA, I clicked on the Place your order in NGN button to complete the transaction, but to my surprise 1st bank deducted way more than I was advised by Amazon. I know they will deduct some charges but they deducted an additional N50,000 for a transaction worth just N113,000.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3478454_2nd_png7311bf52428eb097110d452fa64cd479

I placed a call to their help center and I was told that I was charged at an exchange rate of N315 per $, for Christ sake is that the official exchange rate or 1st Bank Black market rate. We all know CBN rate which is not up to N200 so I wonder where they got N315 from. I had to double check CBN website to confirm
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3478458_cbn_png30fde791739fa77503b5a69675cd639c

Is this normal or have I been defrauded by 1st Bank......if it is not normal what should I do to get my money back?

Cc:lalasticlala
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by missingrib(f): 8:13pm On Mar 09, 2016
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by gists: 8:15pm On Mar 09, 2016
Nigerian Banks are essentially round-tripping the FX in broad day light!
What they do is assume you are paying in dollars irrespective of you choosing to pay in naira and they just simply give you the black market rate.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by Eyop: 8:17pm On Mar 09, 2016
You were not defrauded. Amazon's rate is just an estimate but not the accurate calculation. Next time contact your Card issuer to confirm the current rate before placing your order.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by Agbaletu: 8:18pm On Mar 09, 2016
You are not alone in this, I had similar experience with Zenith Bank last week. When my order was shipped I got some money back from them.
OP, they will still credit you with some Naira.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2016
gists:
Nigerian Banks are essentially round-tripping the FX in broad day light!
What they do is assume you are paying in dollars irrespective of you choosing to pay in naira and they just simply give you the black market rate.

Is this right, are banks suppose to charge us black market rate for online payment.......if so what is the job of CBN then?
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2016
Eyop:
You were not defrauded. Amazon's rate is just an estimate but not the accurate calculation. Next time contact your Card issuer to confirm the current rate before placing your order.

But Amazon's rate is even higher than that of CBN ,so who determines exchange rate......our local bank or CBN?

2 Likes

Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by Eyop: 8:25pm On Mar 09, 2016
najoke:

But Amazon's rate is even higher than that of CBN ,so who determines exchange rate......our local bank or CBN?

Our local Bank determines the exchange rate that's why i said ALWAYS confirm from your card issuer the current exchange rate before carrying out any transaction online.

1 Like

Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 8:28pm On Mar 09, 2016
Eyop:

Our local Bank determines the exchange rate that's why i said ALWAYS confirm from your card issuer the current exchange rate before carrying out any transaction online.

So CBN is just a toothless Pit bull
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by Eyop: 8:33pm On Mar 09, 2016
najoke:

So CBN is just a toothless Pit bull

That's it my brother. So for 1st Bank to charge you #315 to $1 doesn't mean other banks will charge the same. Some might be slightly higher or lower. Recently GTB charged #299 to $1 another bank charged #304 to $1..etc.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 8:40pm On Mar 09, 2016
Eyop:

That's it my brother. So for 1st Bank to charge you #315 to $1 doesn't mean other banks will charge the same. Some might be slightly higher or lower. Recently GTB charged #299 to $1 another bank charged #304 to $1..etc.

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by toniok: 8:53pm On Mar 09, 2016
You. Were not scammed. Firstbank sold at high price maybe because they sourced the dollar at high price too. You can only get it at the official price if you are buying the dollar from CBN.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by jamex93(m): 9:06pm On Mar 09, 2016
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

50k, for this heat season

abeg no let 7am meet u for house tomorro

ensure say by 7am u don dey first bank, and please no do gentle man o....

if u no sabi para, i dey free, come hire me

2 Likes

Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by gists: 9:28pm On Mar 09, 2016
najoke:

Is this right, are banks suppose to charge us black market rate for online payment.......if so what is the job of CBN then?
I don't believe CBN doesn't know about it. I kind of understand why they do it anyway but it still doesn't make it right.
The country is short of foreign reserve. So, even though you chose to pay in Naira, FBN will still settle amazon in USD (at the official rate - that is why I said Nigerian banks are round tripping!). There is no way FBN will transfer Naira to amazon and even if they did, amazon will not accept naira from FBN. So the payment still has to be done in USD. And with the forex crisis, the only way banks can discourage people from exhausting our FX is charging black market. I can bet you will think twice about your next purchase online if the good is really necessary.

As I said, its not right, but this is the layman explanation that makes sense to me.

Experts can explain further.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by najoke: 9:33pm On Mar 09, 2016
gists:

I don't believe CBN doesn't know about it. I kind of understand why they do it anyway but it still doesn't make it right.
The country is short of foreign reserve. So, even though you chose to pay in Naira, FBN will still settle amazon in USD (at the official rate - that is why I said Nigerian banks are round tripping!). There is no way FBN will transfer Naira to amazon and even if they did, amazon will not accept naira from FBN. So the payment still has to be done in USD. And with the forex crisis, the only way banks can discourage people from exhausting our FX is charging black market. I can bet you will think twice about your next purchase online if the good is really necessary.

As I said, its not right, but this is the layman explanation that makes sense to me.

Experts can explain further.

Tnx...I have sent an email to 1st bank with CBN consumer protection in copy

I dey wait for the response, i need to know who run things.....CBN or 1st bank cool
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by gists: 5:04pm On Mar 12, 2016
najoke:

Tnx...I have sent an email to 1st bank with CBN consumer protection in copy

I dey wait for the response, i need to know who run things.....CBN or 1st bank cool
Any update?
Will like to read what their response is.
Re: Have I Just Been Defrauded By 1ST BANK? by layzie: 2:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
OP: banks don't use CBN rate for ur purchases abroad. The only way u get CBN rate for fx transactions is through approved forms M and A. Havent u been listening to your president? Lols. Pls be guided accordingly, ur card transactions are sourced from parallel market.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Help On How To Sell On Jumia Or Konga / Access Bank Are Charging #105 As Stamp Duties For Every Month / Click Power Uniquely Positions Consumers To Share Their Perspective With Busines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.