Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,573 members, 7,820,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

5 Android N Features You Need To See Know - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know (1513 Views)

Five Features You Must Disable On New Smartphones / 5 Features You Should Spot If You Like To Watch Movies On Your Phone / Latest Android N Features Users Should Be Crazy About (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by iliyande(m): 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2016
Google's newest software, Android N, has been released this morning, and with it comes a batch of new abilities for smartphones, tablets, and Android TV. We've combed through the developer bits and pieces to find the most relevant and experience-changing features that've been delivered with this software preview - not all of which might end up on your devices out in the wild by the end of the Summer.

1. TV Recording Support

Google has seen how traditional television has been stubborn - refusing to die in the face of an inevitable takeover by web-based streaming media services. As such, Google has included "TV Recording" in Android N.

With this functionality, developers will be able to enable you to record video from an input source (cable, more than likely) to an app. While we're not certain Google will enable this functionality within Android TV itself, it looks like apps will be able to make use of it before too long.

2. ICU4J Support makes files smaller

Many apps will be smaller in the near future thanks to Google's inclusion of ICU4J Android Framework APIs in Android N. ICU4J is an open-source set of Java libraries that many, many developers make use of. They include the code from these libraries in their app. This code makes their app larger.

Google now allows developer to call out to ICU4J libraries in their code rather than needing to include these libraries within their code.

Long story short: smaller apps in the future means more space for photos on your device. Or music. Or whatever you want to store there.

3. Work Mode

Within a set of "Android for Work" updates in Android N, this build allows for a Word Mode toggle. Like you'd toggle your communication features on or off with Airplane Mode, so too will you be able to turn on or off access to several things at once: "Work profile apps, background sync, and notifications are all disabled, including the profile owner app."

Also in Android for Work updates is a new ability to Remote Reboot. This is good for device users who have devices that are active but don't necessarily have all their buttons available with easy access. Like they're in a glass case - remote reboot will be helpful here in emergencies.

4. Wallpaper Lockdown

Also within a collection of Android for Work updates is a "Lock Down Wallpaper" feature. With "Disallow_Set_Wallpaper", only the owner of the device is able to set a new wallpaper. Apple would do well to use something like this for their devices at Apple Stores if they haven't already.

5. Direct Reply

Much like apps like Slack for Desktop, users are soon going to be able to reply to notifications directly - without needing to tap back into said apps.

6. Multi-Window Support

You may've heard rumors that Google would finally be enabling split-screen functionality in Android. The rumors were true. Here it is.

Expect to be able to run two apps at once AND see two apps at once in many Android devices in the near future.

http://www.slashgear.com/5-radical-new-features-in-android-n-plus-split-screen-09430844/
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by xreal: 6:26pm On Mar 10, 2016
Is this not a repetition of the features already on ground in Android?

This people will just do few changes to something already existing, and sell it at a very high cost to us.
Believe me, Nigerians will be among the first to buy this.
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by funshint(m): 6:59pm On Mar 10, 2016
Had to downgrade my phone from dat rubbish marshmallow; now comes Android N...anyway still licking my sweet lollipop tongue
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by ewizard1: 7:01pm On Mar 10, 2016
xreal:

This people will just do few changes to something already existing, and sell it at a very high cost to us.
Oga chill, Android N is not a phone, it just an OS! What would you buy an OS for?

4 Likes

Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by dasphinx1(m): 7:02pm On Mar 10, 2016
ewizard1:

Oga chill, Android N is not a phone, it just an OS! What would you buy an OS for?

cheesy
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by xreal: 7:09pm On Mar 10, 2016
ewizard1:

Android is also an OS.
The said Android N will eventually run on the same hardware as Android.
I never mentioned a phone, neither did I mention any device.
So wat's ur point?
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by parrotibaba(m): 7:22pm On Mar 10, 2016
ewizard1:

grin grin
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by parrotibaba(m): 7:25pm On Mar 10, 2016
xreal:

Android is also an OS.
The said Android N will eventually run on the same hardware as Android.
I never mentioned a phone, neither did I mention any device.
So wat's ur point?

But but... you said the bolded below.
grin grin

Are you not saying that Google will sell the Nutella OS in the market and that Nigerians will be the first to buy it? undecided

xreal:

1 Like

Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by dasphinx1(m): 12:15am On Mar 11, 2016
parrotibaba:

grin grin

Are you not saying that Google will sell the Nutella OS in the market and that Nigerians will be the first to buy it? undecided

grin
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by ewizard1: 8:40am On Mar 11, 2016
parrotibaba:

grin grin

Oh, so you sef read am abi? grin

Abeg, leave the guy, i no get time for e-argument!
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by parrotibaba(m): 8:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
ewizard1:
Oh, so you sef read am abi? grin
Abeg, leave the guy, i no get time for e-argument!
grin that guy na joker
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by joey150(m): 8:45pm On Mar 11, 2016
Rubbish..must there be upgrades every 9 months..why not take your time and make real changes...

Rubbish! I neva c d beta tin for marshmallow sef..dem go just change blue to green come suck all your battery life
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by investment247: 9:10pm On Mar 11, 2016
I seriously don`t understand the story this OP is really trying to tell.

He`s calling it a phone while ewizard1 is saying its an OS.. Who i wan believe amongst the two? Okay let me try http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com and hear their own version of the story
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by ewizard1: 10:07pm On Mar 11, 2016
investment247:
I seriously don`t understand the story this OP is really trying to tell.

He`s calling it a phone while ewizard1 is saying its an OS.. Who i wan believe amongst the two? Okay let me try http://bbs.tecno-mobile.com and hear their own version of the story
Please read the title... Android N is the next on line with Google's Android OS. All the information the OP posted was for an OS.

I wonder where that our oga read phone wey e say na Nigerians go first buy am! grin
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by parrotibaba(m): 10:38am On Mar 12, 2016
The Nutella is an android OS and not a phone people grin
Make una stop to de disgrace una selves in a public forum
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by dasphinx1(m): 12:17pm On Mar 12, 2016
I swear, this thread funny die grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by jidehis: 11:01pm On Apr 03, 2016
I just wonder
xreal:

Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by jidehis: 11:03pm On Apr 03, 2016
I dont see whats funny
dasphinx1:
I swear, this thread funny die grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by jidehis: 11:08pm On Apr 03, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: 5 Android N Features You Need To See Know by dasphinx1(m): 5:15am On Apr 04, 2016
jidehis:
I dont see whats funny

Well, if you dont see whats funny in the thread, thats your choice, not mine wink

(1) (Reply)

Nokia 808 2016/2017 / Sound, Neat And Sexy Samsung S4 For Sale / I Need Note 3 Neo N7502 Custom Rom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.