Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water (5003 Views)

CRUSHED NOODLES FOR Fishes And poultry / ... / The Biggest Fishes In My Fish Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by adeseun22(m): 10:34am On Mar 11, 2016
Does any one know about fish rearing? i just started this business. Recently, i noticed the fishes in my pond raised their head and open their mouths maybe for oxygen, i dont know. i changed the water thinking its dirty and does not contain enough oxygen for them to breath. but still, their heads are still up. what can be the course for that? pls, ur comment and advise is needed.
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by divineappo(m): 10:35am On Mar 11, 2016
adeseun22:
Does any one know about fish rearing? i just started this business. Recently, i noticed the fishes in my pond raised their head and open their mouths maybe for oxygen, i dont know. i changed the water thinking its dirty and does not contain enough oxygen for them to breath. but still, their heads are still up. what can be the course for that? pls, ur comment and advise is needed.
End-time question
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by adeseun22(m): 10:38am On Mar 11, 2016
divineappo:
End-time question
which needs an answer. if u cannot help, why comment?
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by Nobody: 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2016
Very normal...don't bother yourself...let's see pictures

1 Like

Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by janefarms2015: 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2016
adeseun22:

First thing, stop feeding them, the most likely cause is oxygen depletion but since the water has been changed, check the ph of your water it should be between 6.5 to 7.5, if its lower than the minimum quoted above, add soda ash to beef it up, then change the water again through perforated pipes showering to the ponds, if these fail, go and buy a very potent antibiotic, reduce your water to 1/4 of the pond, administer the drug with about 1 table spoon of salt ( though i dont know the size of your pond, neither the volume of water, nor the quantity of fish) leave for 30mins and drain completely before adding fresh water, with very good tonic and start feeding gradually, dont give them too much of feeds for d first 2 days, your problem should be over, if not consult TB JOSHUA on behalf of your fish grin grin cheesy

For "divineappo" please stock mocking someone whose investment is at stake, be matured or keep quiet!

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by BELEXYFARMS(m): 4:58pm On Mar 11, 2016
adeseun22:

Do u mean they stand upright in d water and gasp for air or do they just swim to the surface open their mouth and swim away actively? The second scenerio is normal and also fingerlings/juveniles tend to just stay in one spot as if upright after heavy feeding.
If ur fishes are sick and diseased or oxygen concentration is low or water severely polluted especially wt ammonia , they might just stand 'upright' in one place
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by adeseun22(m): 5:06pm On Mar 11, 2016
janefarms2015:

First thing, stop feeding them, the most likely cause is oxygen depletion but since the water has been changed, check the ph of your water it should be between 6.5 to 7.5, if its lower than the minimum quoted above, add soda ash to beef it up, then change the water again through perforated pipes showering to the ponds, if these fail, go and buy a very potent antibiotic, reduce your water to 1/4 of the pond, administer the drug with about 1 table spoon of salt ( though i dont know the size of your pond, neither the volume of water, nor the quantity of fish) leave for 30mins and drain completely before adding fresh water, with very good tonic and start feeding gradually, dont give them too much of feeds for d first 2 days, your problem should be over, if not consult TB JOSHUA on behalf of your fish grin grin cheesy

For "divineappo" please stock mocking someone whose investment is at stake, be matured or keep quiet!

thanks, this will do.
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by adeseun22(m): 5:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
BELEXYFARMS:

Do u mean they stand upright in d water and gasp for air or do they just swim to the surface open their mouth and swim away actively? The second scenerio is normal and also fingerlings/juveniles tend to just stay in one spot as if upright after heavy feeding.
If ur fishes are sick and diseased or oxygen concentration is low or water severely polluted especially wt ammonia , they might just stand 'upright' in one place

thanks, yes they stand upright, opened their mouth for more air. i think will just check the ph of the water as janefarms2015 has said
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by BELEXYFARMS(m): 5:14pm On Mar 11, 2016
adeseun22:

thanks, yes they stand upright, opened their mouth for more air. i think will just check the ph of the water as janefarms2015 has said

How old are ur fishes, whats ur pond size and how many are stocked in it?
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by kunleweb: 7:47pm On Aug 27, 2018
adeseun22:

How was this situation resolved i'm interested in finding out please
Re: Why Do Fishes Raise Up Their Heads In Side Water by naijanaso: 12:24pm On May 02, 2022
janefarms2015:

God bless you for this response.

(1) (Reply)

Modern Fish Farming Equipment / 450, 000 Farmers Benefit From FG’s Fertiliser Programme In Kano / Water Saving Irrigation Solutions For Millenial Farmers!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.