Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,538 members, 7,816,311 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma (1920 Views)

I Am Not The Father Of My 3-Year-Old 'Son' - Nigerian Man Cries Out (Photos) / I Didnt Like My Dad When I Was A Kid And Still Dont Like Him Now I'm Grown Up / See What A Mother Has Done To Her 7year Old Boy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by kinglekan: 1:00pm On Mar 11, 2016

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiaaisuj9D/

This story has been trending for sometime now on twitter/instagram but it didn't really get my attention till I overheard the same discussion on a radio station this morning.

Apparently a little 7year old boy asked his dad to get him an iPhone, to which the dad demanded 10 excellent grades from the kid. The little chap went on to surpass the target by bagging 15 excellent grades out of a total of 16.

The teacher's comment states and i quote "Gerrard has improved greatly in his spelling/reading skills. However,  he needs improvement in self esteem.  Kudos!" .

I was pretty amazed at some contributions made on the station this morning.  I thought this really wasn't so much to deliberate on or argue over. Perhaps i was wrong.

What really got me thinking and prompted me to put this up was the fact that I could connect the dots thinking through the answers some people gave and to why as a nation we haven't made so much progress in years.

I know that we are all entitled to our opinions and stuff but the level at which the majority pitch their reasoning is why things would probably remain the same for a long time to come.

For example some folks said he should get the little kid a China version of the iPhone (a chinco), one said he would get the kid the iPhone and steal it from the child in other to keep it safe.

A caller even went as far as saying the little 7YEAR OLD was a SCAMMER and that he wasn't doing so well in class on purpose in other to get the father to do his bidding. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS undecided

Others went on to say he should get the little kid a mobile phone but probably not as expensive as the iPhone. The one that really got me dazed was a comment saying the father shouldn't get the child anything and that its the perfect time to teach the child about disappointment.

Like seriously?  undecided

Following these line of thoughts we subconsciously train our kids that it is right to be dishonest, it is right to make a promise you cannot keep, people shouldn't be trusted, it is right to steal for the "greater good" and so many more. Then we look around and wonder why the nation is in a quagmire.

Sadly we are the architects of our future.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by bqlekan(m): 1:09pm On Mar 11, 2016
This story is a reminder, we can be whatever we want to be. All we need is a target, a competiton, a little appraisal and focus.

I think the father should not backdown on his promise. He can restrict the phone for home use alone.

As a parent, your children should have considerable trust in you.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by blank(f): 5:32pm On Mar 11, 2016
This is the part that gets to me, "Gerrard has improved greatly in his spelling/reading skills. However, he needs improvement in self esteem. Kudos!"

I think this will be a great time to boost the boy's self esteem. He has worked hard and feels he deserves a reward. I would use this as an opportunity to boost his self esteem and not dent it.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by lesbiangirl(f): 5:58pm On Mar 11, 2016
kinglekan:

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BCiaaisuj9D/

This story has been trending for sometime now on twitter/instagram but it didn't really get my attention till I overheard the same discussion on a radio station this morning.

Apparently a little 7year old boy asked his dad to get him an iPhone, to which the dad demanded 10 excellent grades from the kid. The little chap went on to surpass the target by bagging 15 excellent grades out of a total of 16.

The teacher's comment states and i quote "Gerrard has improved greatly in his spelling/reading skills. However,  he needs improvement in self esteem.  Kudos!" .

I was pretty amazed at some contributions made on the station this morning.  I thought this really wasn't so much to deliberate on or argue over. Perhaps i was wrong.

What really got me thinking and prompted me to put this up was the fact that I could connect the dots thinking through the answers some people gave and to why as a nation we haven't made so much progress in years.

I know that we are all entitled to our opinions and stuff but the level at which the majority pitch their reasoning is why things would probably remain the same for a long time to come.

For example some folks said he should get the little kid a China version of the iPhone (a chinco), one said he would get the kid the iPhone and steal it from the child in other to keep it safe.

A caller even went as far as saying the little 7YEAR OLD was a SCAMMER and that he wasn't doing so well in class on purpose in other to get the father to do his bidding. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS undecided

Others went on to say he should get the little kid a mobile phone but probably not as expensive as the iPhone. The one that really got me dazed was a comment saying the father shouldn't get the child anything and that its the perfect time to teach the child about disappointment.

Like seriously?  undecided

Following these line of thoughts we subconsciously train our kids that it is right to be dishonest, it is right to make a promise you cannot keep, people shouldn't be trusted, it is right to steal for the "greater good" and so many more. Then we look around and wonder why the nation is in a quagmire.

Sadly we are the architects of our future.

Nigerians grin grin grin we are so sad, frustrated and sorrowful; it's a shame we are passing it on to our children

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by KingTom(m): 7:29pm On Mar 11, 2016
Well i don't really know what to agree with. When I was in Pry 2 my father told me to get my act together you see I was not really interested in reading na normal fire brigade approach carry 7th rest. I told my father I wanted a radio which in the early 90's was equivalent to an iPhone today grin the man said ok, I came 2nd and Col. Gave me the radio with the condition that I'll only use it during the holidays. That means I was a scammer and I was doing badly on purpose according to the third school of thought grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by YourCoffin: 8:57pm On Mar 11, 2016
If I were the one, I would get him the Iphone.

As I'm giving it to him, I'll add a clause to our agreement. The Iphone will remain his as long as he continues performing. Once he slacks, it would be taken from him.

But being a seven year old kid, he would lose interest in the phone and if he's smart he will demand for something else, which will require him to invent s/th before I give it to him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by kinglekan: 11:41am On Mar 12, 2016
bqlekan:
This story is a reminder, we can be whatever we want to be. All we need is a target, a competiton, a little appraisal and focus.

I think the father should not backdown on his promise. He can restrict the phone for home use alone.

As a parent, your children should have considerable trust in you.

My thoughts exactly. The father probably didn't think his son would hit the target. To the father it was probably an unrealistic target to get the son off his back. Apparently the lil chap proved him wrong.

It's now the resposibility of the father to keep to his word, its what honourable men do. It shows integrity and reaffirms the lil chaps trust in the father.

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by kinglekan: 11:44am On Mar 12, 2016
lesbiangirl:

Nigerians grin grin grin we are so sad, frustrated and sorrowful; it's a shame we are passing it on to our children

So sad and yet we expect that things would miraculously get better someday while we keep doing the same things and expecting a different result.

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by FatPreek(m): 12:24pm On Mar 12, 2016
Why will i buy a 7year old an iPhone? Na toy? undecided angry
Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by byvan03: 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2016
I will keep my word if I was high enough to promise that. I promise them what I can easily whip out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A 7year Old Kid And The Father's Dilemma by bqlekan(m): 9:24am On Mar 17, 2016
kinglekan:

My thoughts exactly. The father probably didn't think his son would hit the target. To the father it was probably an unrealistic target to get the son off his back. Apparently the lil chap proved him wrong.

It's now the resposibility of the father to keep to his word, its what honourable men do. It shows integrity and reaffirms the lil chaps trust in the father.

100% on point bro, I wish all parents could understand this

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For A Matured Girl To Go Unclad In Presence Of Her Brother? / At What Age Does A Man Stop Loving His Wife ? / 52 Year Old Delivers Baby After 25years Of Marriage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.