Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,797 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. (21801 Views)

9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. / Dollar Scarcity: Banks Suspend ATM Card Usage Abroad / Top 7 ATM Card Safety Tips You Should Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by doofanc: 8:44pm On Mar 12, 2016
ollah1:
U would have been ripped more if there was more cash in your account. Don't pile up too much cash in an account which has an atm card or online access.

This has been my policy. My GTB account which I use for online, pos atm never has more than 20k.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by persius555(m): 8:45pm On Mar 12, 2016
Lamexx:

Permit me to say that the Op was very foolish. As soon as u lose ur ATM card, you call the bank customer care to block your account. You don't even need to go to the bank. Just go online and copy their customer care number and call them.

Back to your question, yes I don't need to know your pin before I make transaction with your card online. All you need to make purchases online on international merchant sites like Ebay is the name on the front of the card, the card number on the front of the card, the expiring date of the card and the three digit Security number behind the card. So if you are in the habit of doing "big man" and giving ur ATM card to someone else to make withdrawal, you are at risk of an online card fraud and trust me you cannot sue the bank then. They will simply deny you that's why you are asked to protect your card and card details
But do you have to insult him? Its comments like yours that discourage victims from sharing such experience on forums like this. I dont understand why we are quick to insult others just to prove a point.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by doofanc: 8:47pm On Mar 12, 2016
jomarick:
Security tip from me, memorize or write down ur CCV elsewhere and then scratch it off ur atm card.

This another beautiful advice. Without the ccv, online transactions cannot be done.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by tuscani: 8:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
ayokanmi3:

Wow... Thank you... best comment have got so far... just did that now
hmmmm, I am flattered
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Mar 12, 2016
VickyRotex:
Awwww. Sorry about that. Good thing you learnt your lesson.

Yes you can trace it. And next time, please dont put up all your details here. It's very risky.
Unethical Hackers can permutate to get your account number with that. You can delete the pictures or blur those sections out.
what if they get his acc number?
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Mar 12, 2016
Caracta:

Not all online transactions require the use of OTP or secure code. Especially when you have the card number and the 3 digits at the back of the card.
which of the online portal?? Dont tell lies o.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ifeanyi83(m): 10:07pm On Mar 12, 2016
The very first thing you do when you lose vital documents is act fast. Do a police report immediately and block what needs to be blocked. I'm sure the company you worked with didn't give you a refund besides Access Bank customer can be reached via various platforms. That money lost was needless and could have been avoided.

1 Like

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by VickyRotex(f): 10:52pm On Mar 12, 2016
ayokanmi3:

Wow... alright... Thanks... sure, but what happened to all those who post account details on social media for business transactions... dont they hack it?

I can't say if they hack it or not. But what I'm saying is, it's not a good idea to have all your details showing up there. It's a social media, different kinds of humans exist here.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by VickyRotex(f): 10:53pm On Mar 12, 2016
inplay:
what if they get his acc number?

Anything can happen!
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by ferdyferd: 11:02pm On Mar 12, 2016
Caracta:
You are really not smart. See all your details here.

Very easy to get other details about you. NL has your full name, your bank, few digits of your account (quite easy to figure out the rest). NL knows if it's a savings or current account. NL knows you are on Facebook. Smh.

Mr Ayokanmi Oyeyemi, you misplaced important items and it took you how many days to lodge a complaint? You could email facebook but you couldn't email your bank? You couldn't call the customer care line or send a short code to block your debit card(s).

Just be glad it's not your entire life savings. With the news going around about card theft and scams, I'm surprised someone could still be passive and not 'sharp' about it.
I read ur comment and even though am not the OP it annoyed me.

Why must you call him dumb? Coz if someone is not smart that's exactly what he is, and u said that just because he dropped a screenshot of the transaction details. So what's the big deal?

All the photo shows is just his full name. And if you actually think there's something wrong with that photo upload i.e his money could be withdrawn with that then you really not smart. (quite easy to figure out the rest? Pls do)

No insult intended though. Have a nice day.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by Nobody: 12:46am On Mar 13, 2016
ayokanmi3:
Sigh.... just want to share this as a way to help some of us to always take due precaution at all instance....

It all started last week friday when I travelled down to ibadan to attend a meeting on behalf of my work-place.. While in the city I misplaced my wallet via a taxi I boarded which contain(wallet) few thousands of naira, my 2 ATM cards, id cards, and my business cards..

Got back to lagos and continued work... Had intentin to visit the bank to request for a new card but I was still of the opinion that the supposedly "good samaritan" who will be in possession of the wallet will contact me to return it since I have all my details in it.. but it was the opposite; as on wednesday I got an alert of a debit of about 4k for a facebook transcation at first I thought it was from my personal facebook account; sent a mail to facebook but they told me it wasnt connected to my account.. so was supposed to go to the bank to make the complain but workload at work was heavy on me so I couldnt visit the bank not until thursday morning when I saw two consecutive debits that was when I realised I was been exploited; asked for permission and went straight ahead to the bank, on getting to the banking hall saw another about 5k debit, calmly told the customer care representative to block my account but she said I will have to write a letter to that effect first... chai, I yelled uncontrollably at her trying to explain what happened thats when she quickly blocked the account first which after I wrote the letter...

Now in all the supposedly thief got away with about 22k, could be more than that if I had waited even for few seconds all due to my negligence... So in all, lesson learnt for me already and lesson to everyone; always do well to BLOCK your ATM card(s) if misplaced for any reason...

Lastly, a freind was telling me that I can trace the facebook account.. Dont know if anybody knows how that work. Thanks......
Attached is the various alert debit(from my mail)
Thanks for sharing the bitter experience with us. People r wicked.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by lolaluv1(f): 7:10am On Mar 13, 2016
You are 1 of those who make things difficult for customer care reps. There you went shouting at her as if it's her fault that you were dragging your feet when you were supposed to have blocked your card.

Anyways, next time contact the bank asap. If not, its very easy to wipe out an account by using it to shop online. No pin needed....
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by bedfordng(m): 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
with foreign online payment, most don't require any pin or token code to complete the transactions. So one needs to be careful of their atm card because any one can use it to make payment online, it could be subscription or pay as you go without the marchant asking for pin or token code.

As for the op, they can trace the user if you contact facebook and provide proof that the card belongs to you.
Re: How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. by hugochuks60(m): 12:58pm On Dec 09, 2016
OP u made a mistake there tho. Wen u lose ur card or bank details, u r supposed to call ur bank n tell them to lock ur account till u either get new details or u open a new account. Pls keep ur atm like cheque book, dont go to all places with them, ur mobile app can help u.
A relative of mine had a similar experience wen she lost her diary which had her full details which she used to open n account, including d atm details n pin n after several months she saw a debit alert, i told her to close that account immediately n open a new one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CBN May Devalue Naira Steeply After 2023 Elections - Bloomberg / Nigerian Traders ‘under Attack’ In Ghana / MTN Nigeria Made ₦51 Billion Profit And Gained 4.2 Million New Subscribers In Q1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.