Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:43 AM

Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards (22118 Views)

Differences Between Debit And Credit Cards / No Limit On Naira Debit, Credit Cards Utilization On E-channels – CBN / Suspension Of International Transaction On Debit/credit Card. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by timidapsin(m): 8:17pm On Mar 12, 2016
Insightz:

mhh, pin it is. My bad
no prob, I actually thought they've changed it.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:18pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:
To protect your card is easy just be sure you are not on a fraudulent platform or where your card can be cloned.
Secondly you can intentionally hide your Security number as without it no dhopping can be made with ur card on konga or jumia. A friend of mine was careless with his card and gave to is staff to make Uk visa fee payment for a client the staff copied is card details and shop on jumia goods wot N500,000 but was later aprehended by the police!

Great tip. I think cloning and theft of the card is the main. But registering for mastercard secure and verified by visa could help a little
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by LydayBobo(m): 8:19pm On Mar 12, 2016
Nice one but the shortcut is when you see https or http. s stand for secured. Please don't go near http with your ATM card shikena
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2016
Benfaco:
This is very nice Op

Last shot:
Never keep your ATM card carelessly If you have an untrusted roommate.

You are welcome. Please transact safely

1 Like

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Praisemelody(m): 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2016
Thanks
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by SIRKAY98(m): 8:20pm On Mar 12, 2016
bamite:
What

My brother there r some websites that will not ask for even your OTP before your money is been removed for a particular transaction ,for example is canadian visa service online payment platform. If you like bring all your tokens it wount ask it will sucessfully remove your money! So be wise
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:21pm On Mar 12, 2016
LydayBobo:
Nice one but the shortcut is when you see https or http. s stand for secured. Please don't go near http with your ATM card shikena

Good tip. But the problem is tha not everyone knows about https and http and what it means. Thats why I used the little padlock. lol
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:

My brother there r some websites that will not ask for even your OTP before your money is been removed for a particular transaction ,for example is canadian visa service online payment platform. If you like bring all your tokens it wount ask it will sucessfully remove your money! So be wise

Really? thats good to know. I know that UKvisa uses secure code
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:26pm On Mar 12, 2016
Flexherbal:
Thanks OP

You are welcome. Please transact securely and safely
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by SIRKAY98(m): 8:27pm On Mar 12, 2016
bigwig10:
Please in a situation where by the thieves got ur atm n extract the pin frm u @ gun point wah do we do,cos we'v heard many instances of entering a wrong commercial bus n meeting the wrong pple inisde there,they collected pples atm card n pin n go to the machine to make unauthorised withdrawals hw do one quickly block such transactions frm been carried out,thanks

My brother only God can safe you from such act.just pray the bank has network problem b4 they get there
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by frank442: 8:29pm On Mar 12, 2016
Change ur pin every 3 months
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:32pm On Mar 12, 2016
bigwig10:
Please in a situation where by the thieves got ur atm n extract the pin frm u @ gun point wah do we do,cos we'v heard many instances of entering a wrong commercial bus n meeting the wrong pple inisde there,they collected pples atm card n pin n go to the machine to make unauthorised withdrawals hw do one quickly block such transactions frm been carried out,thanks

If thieves forcefully take your card and your pin, the only option available is to go into crisis mode. Follow steps 7 down. Please always have your customer service number handy. Also you should have the number of your account manager handy. Call the bank immediately to have your card blocked. Then follow up and lodge a complaint. Make a police report.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by SIRKAY98(m): 8:35pm On Mar 12, 2016
sidneyj:
lastly... don't ever give a woman your ATM card to hold for u

why?
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by oncolor1: 8:36pm On Mar 12, 2016
Checkout www.stratapack.com for some of the best rated products in the market
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Sharmeenator(m): 8:37pm On Mar 12, 2016
The safest of all; keep at least two accounts and use ATM on only one. Make sure you don't keep all or most of your money in the bank account you have use an ATM for because you can't be too safe these days.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by SIRKAY98(m): 8:38pm On Mar 12, 2016
Insightz:

If thieves forcefully take your card and your pin, the only option available is to go into crisis mode. Follow steps 7 down. Please always have your customer service number handy. Also you should the number of your account manager handy. Call the bank immediately to have your card blocked. Then follow up and lodge a complaint. Make a police report.

My brother only God sure pass first at that moment because the will have collect your phone join! it happend to me b4.i could see a phone call my account officer only what saved me was that i had just 2k on my balance!
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by lastpage: 8:39pm On Mar 12, 2016
Benfaco:
This is very nice Op

Last shot:
Never keep your ATM card carelessly If you have an untrusted roommate.

very LAST SHOT...

When you enter public transport, ensure your Card is NOT in your PURSE/WALLET.

Better it be in your "where the sun doesn't shine" 'cos those one-chance folks now forcefully take your card, give it to one of their guys to empty your account while they drive you around!
shocked shocked

Lastpage!
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:42pm On Mar 12, 2016
Sharmeenator:
The safest of all; keep at least two accounts and use ATM on only one. Make sure you don't keep all or most of your money in the bank account you have use an ATM for because you can't be too safe these days.

Ok. One account to use with ATM and the other to keep all the money? So that when you want to make a transaction, you can transfer the money to the account with the ATM card. I think it greatly minimizes fraud
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 8:46pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:

My brother only God sure pass first at that moment because the will have collect your phone join! it happend to me b4.i could see a phone call my account officer only what saved me was that i had just 2k on my balance!

Some good nairalanders suggested that one should have two accounts. One with ATM, the other one without ATM. When you want to transact, transfer money into the account with ATM, that way, if you lose the card, you wont lose all your life savings.

Another person suggested that you should not enter public transport with your ATM card. I think this is another possibility to minimize the risks
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Praisemelody(m): 8:46pm On Mar 12, 2016
[color=#990000]FOR YOUR CUSTOMISED WRISTBANDS BANGLES PLEASE CONTACT 08068211806 WHATSAPP AVAILABLE. https://www.nairaland.com/2986305/customised-wristbands-bangles-bracelets-please/color]
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Afritop(m): 8:50pm On Mar 12, 2016
PEOPLE SHOULD BE CAREFUL WITH THAT NUMBER ONE. ITS BEEN REPORTED THAT MANY WHO HAD ATM CARD IN THEIR POSSESION GOT ROBBED AND FORCED AT GUNPOINT TO REVEAL THEIR PASSWORD, THOSE WHO GAVE FAKE PASSWORD WERE BEATEN TO COMA AND ATIMES GOT GET MOLESTED FOR DECEPTION. WE ALL HAVE TO BE CAREFUL. IT IS SAFE TO HAVE 2 ATM CARDS WHERE ONE ATM WILL ONLY INCLUDE YOUR RECURRENT EXPENSES WHILE THE OTHER YOUR SAVINGS WHICH WILL BE KEPT AWAY FROM PRYING EYES
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by bigtt76(f): 8:50pm On Mar 12, 2016
Some bank's customer service agents don't even know about Secure ID or Verified by Visa grin

Insightz:

Thanks. Every bank is enrolled in both the MasterCard secure and verified by visa. And it is 100 percent free. What bank do you use? It might be possible to register online. I could drop the links here on the forum.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by opey112(m): 9:02pm On Mar 12, 2016
adonbilivit:
this is the best "list" on nairaland thus far this year.
yes you are very correct.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by creamylicious(f): 9:05pm On Mar 12, 2016
ednut1:
Make use of 2 accounts. One without Debit card(no such tin as atm card). The one with debit card shud have smal amount lik 10-20k.
exact thoughts on my. mind..... Are you tunde ednut the musician?
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by SIRKAY98(m): 9:07pm On Mar 12, 2016
Insightz:

Some good nairalanders suggested that one should have two accounts. One with ATM, the other one without ATM. When you want to transact, transfer money into the account with ATM, that way, if you lose the card, you wont lose all your life savings.

Another person suggested that you should not enter public transport with your ATM card. I think this is another possibility to minimize the risks

Ok may God keep us
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by AdemolaA2: 9:31pm On Mar 12, 2016
Insightz:

glad I could be of help
But you need no token to make POS transactions. Passwords could still be compromised using Pos transactions and so on . Best option is to generally follow all the listed tips on how to minimise atm fraud.
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by cevek11: 9:32pm On Mar 12, 2016
Ensure your passwords are not the guessable ones... "like 7777, 0000, 1234, etc... I know I have types some people password already...lol
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by sidneyj(m): 9:33pm On Mar 12, 2016
SIRKAY98:

why?

You know you cannot ask a dog to look after a soft bone....
Moreover women know all the devices that has something to do with money and they are only creature that knows the total number of ATMs in any area they reside... even the inventor of ATM can not operate it up to them
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by talk2archy: 9:41pm On Mar 12, 2016
sidneyj:
lastly... don't ever give a woman your ATM card to hold for u

Ur woman not ur wife, my wife is in possesion of my atm, though she knows d security tips but only one bank oo
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by sidneyj(m): 9:49pm On Mar 12, 2016
talk2archy:

Ur woman not ur wife, my wife is in possesion of my atm, though she knows d security tips but only one bank oo

I understand you.

You gave her the ATM card of the bank where you keep change..
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by Insightz(m): 9:58pm On Mar 12, 2016
bigtt76:
Some bank's customer service agents don't even know about Secure ID or Verified by Visa grin

I can imagine. lol
Re: Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards by obidevine(m): 10:04pm On Mar 12, 2016
Thanks for this info OP.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Naira Eyes N1,300/$ At Parallel Market As Speculators Offload FX / Mall Revolution Sweeps Nigeria (pics) / My Brother's Shop Was Robbed In Port-Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.