Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,026 members, 7,814,508 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Boarding School Or Day School - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Boarding School Or Day School (5325 Views)

Got A School Or Have Kids? Get In Here! / Marigold Special School With Boarding / Back To School Or Back To Office - Compovine Shopping Centre (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Boarding School Or Day School by Hybrid600: 6:11pm On Mar 13, 2016
Which one do you think is preferable for a child that will gain admission into secondary school, a boarding school or day school
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by mystiqueDZ(f): 10:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
BOARDING SCHOOL....
you need reasons?

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 11:16pm On Mar 13, 2016
No child of mine will attend a boarding school , won't leave my kids for someone else to raise.

3 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by AngelXs: 1:15am On Mar 14, 2016
byvan03:
No child of mine will attend a boarding school , won't leave my kids for someone else to raise.
A child entering secondary school is no longer a kid nw.

2 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by AngelXs: 1:17am On Mar 14, 2016
Boarding school plz.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 5:56am On Mar 14, 2016
AngelXs:
A child entering secondary school is no longer a kid nw.

Most kids enter secondary school between 9 - 11 years of age, they are still kids that have a lot to learn. Just don't like the idea of leaving my child in some school for some other people to raise for me. I need to know my kids as much as I can, kids need their parents. I feel most parents do that to relieve themselves of their responsibilities, it's tempting but I can't take it.

7 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by PresVA: 6:56am On Mar 14, 2016
Day school. . No boarding school for my kids.. They've just so much freedom there. .. Gone are the days when boarding school was strict. .. At that age, they're still very much vulnerable to wrong choices. ..

Want to keep an eye on my kids always. .

Besides, I went to a boarding school from jss1 and no significant impact. ..

4 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by halfricanadian(f): 7:14am On Mar 14, 2016
Day school i really want to b a hugh part of my kids life cos i know i will av an amazing awesome husband who wud give me d strenghth to do so nd not drain my strength bt empower me to do so

smiley i dont mind d stress of goin to pick them from school at noon or droppin dem off to school in d morning

I wana build up wonderful kids amidst watever dis generation is all bou

smiley kids with a hugh difference to d world

But first i av got to dilligently search for d best father they wud always look up to nd forever b grateful dey have him smiley

4 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by GboyegaD(m): 7:16am On Mar 14, 2016
Boarding school most likely.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Hybrid600: 7:54am On Mar 14, 2016
byvan03:

Lol.. but some people says it teaches the kids survival instinct when in boarding school...
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Hybrid600: 7:55am On Mar 14, 2016
mystiqueDZ:
BOARDING SCHOOL.... you need reasons?
What are your reasons?
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 14, 2016
Day school, I need to watch them closely
But if for some reasons they have to attend boarding school, I will make them attend catholic schools, I think I can trust those boarding school a little more than the others cos they have zero tolerance for misbehaviors....

Yes I was a boarding student..

3 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 14, 2016
Day school for my kids.

My children will NOT attend boarding school, under ANY circumstance. My children's upbringing is my responsibility, no one can raise my kids better than I could. I wouldn't trust any school to look after my children after regular school hours.

Too many horror stories for me to even consider the boarding option.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Nobody: 10:32am On Mar 14, 2016
Hybrid600:
Which one do you think is preferable for a child that will gain admission into secondary school, a boarding school or day school

You started this thread...but you haven't stated YOUR preference, and why.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 12:20pm On Mar 14, 2016
Hybrid600:

Lol.. but some people says it teaches the kids survival instinct when in boarding school...

I rather enrol them into taekwando/karate classes, I just want to do the guiding every step of the way till they can reason for themselves. The survival instinct part is true, but not really worth missing out on the most important years of their lives.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by bennyrazz: 2:36pm On Mar 14, 2016
I attended boarding school but my kids will not attend such. Survival instincts my foot, it breaks kids teaches them all sort of terrible stuff. They get to relate with some terrible children with terrible upbringing, poor home training etc. Day school all the way for my kids jare

4 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Okorieikechukwu(m): 4:03pm On Mar 14, 2016
Boarding School is most preferable, but before then, do build your child character wise. See, the societal problems we see around is majorly caused by poor foundation given to average Nigerian Child.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Nyceguy92: 12:48am On Mar 15, 2016
[quote author=Hybrid600 post=43740832]

In this era of satellite dish TVs, video games and phones, kids hardly have time to concentrate in their studies at home.
In the boarding house, they are regimented and have plenty time for study.

There is competition in that kids emulate each other to read to excel.
For those who want to be with their children most of the time, there are holidays, short breaks and visiting days.

2 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by lovinam: 6:00am On Mar 15, 2016
Mmmm. You speak so cos you have goo day schools aroundd you. If you live in a place witth no sound school then you ontt have an option. I will choose boarding anyday. The most important tthing is to be careful while selecting the schools.
byvan03:

I rather enrol them into taekwando/karate classes, I just want to do the guiding every step of the way till they can reason for themselves. The survival instinct part is true, but not really worth missing out on the most important years of their lives.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 10:24am On Mar 15, 2016
lovinam:
Mmmm. You speak so cos you have goo day schools aroundd you. If you live in a place witth no sound school then you ontt have an option. I will choose boarding anyday. The most important tthing is to be careful while selecting the schools.

I attended boarding schools from 1-6 myself, I just don't like the idea of any one raising kids for me. I know good schools around your base that operate both boarding and day system . I can't do boarding no matter how good, I need to be there in those years that count.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by NL1960: 11:04am On Mar 15, 2016
This debate has always been on with no clear position as to which one is preferable.

Iam a product of the boarding school system and it really helped to shape my life. Because of this, iam a great supporter of the boarding system. This is my own personal opinion. I have already sent my son to a catholic secondary boarding school and the girl will soon follow. The boy is a TV addict just like i was when i was younger. He can watch TV especially DSTV all day long. The only way i could make him read and concentrate is by sending him to a boarding school. Even to concentrate and prepare for the highly competitive common entrance he was to take then was war. PHCN always came to the rescue because if there is no PHCN, he will then grudgingly go and read.

The reason why i personally prefer boarding is that these days, in most middle families, the kids are holed up in a flat all the time without any opportunity of mixing or making friends. Even if a family lives in a block of flats, families hardly allow their kids to mix with and play with other kids in the compound. You always see the kids looking lost whenever they are out. Primary school hardly allow them to mix because once it is closing time, they are taken straight home and the next thing is eat, TV, games and home work. There is even no enforcement of siesta. In boarding, they tend to bond well with their mates through siesta, evening games, evening prep and other social activities normally organised by the school. The friends i really have today are my classmates from boarding school. Even the women that are now married, we still relate as brothers and sisters as we were relating in school whenever we across each other even if their husbands are there.

6 Likes

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by NL1960: 11:08am On Mar 15, 2016
byvan03:

I attended boarding schools from 1-6 myself, I just don't like the idea of any one raising kids for me. I know good schools around your base that operate both boarding and day system . I can't do boarding no matter how good, I need to be there in those years that count.

What are the years that count?. At what age is a child old enough not to be raised by the parents?.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 11:28am On Mar 15, 2016
NL1960:

What are the years that count?. At what age is a child old enough not to be raised by the parents?.

Please state your opinion and let it go,mine is not yours to dissect.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by lovinam: 11:46am On Mar 15, 2016
Hahahahahah. Pls mention them o! You think I didn't research?
byvan03:

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 11:48am On Mar 15, 2016
lovinam:
Hahahahahah. Pls mention them o! You think I didn't research?

Learning field international is both boarding and day, St Monica's college ogbunike is boarding and day too. You have to be inside to tell how good really.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by NL1960: 12:22pm On Mar 15, 2016
byvan03:

Please state your opinion and let it go,mine is not yours to dissect.

Did you see my post before this one you responded to?.

Btw, no be fight. This is a discussion for learning purpose.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Aquariann: 12:26pm On Mar 15, 2016
favoured234:
Day school, I need to watch them closely
But if for some reasons they have to attend boarding school, I will make them attend catholic schools, I think I can trust those boarding school a little more than the others cos they have zero tolerance for misbehaviors .

Yes I was a boarding student..

You'll only end up heartbroken.

And why is almost everyone before me saying "No one would raise my children for me?"

My teachers never raised me. My parents (especially my mother) did even though I attended a boarding house.

Sending your kids to boarding houses is different from abdicating your parental responsibilities.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 12:29pm On Mar 15, 2016
NL1960:

Did you my post before this one you responded to?.

Btw, no be fight. This is a discussion for learning purpose.

I will answer your question, as long as my child is under 18, raising continues for me.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by NL1960: 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2016
Aquariann:

You'll only end up heartbroken.

And why is almost everyone before me saying "No one would raise my children for me?"

My teachers never raised me. My parents (especially my mother) did even though I attended a boarding house.

Sending your kids to boarding houses is different from abdicating your parental responsibilities.

Gbam. The question i have even asked people that say this is if they stay with the kid all throughout the school session in a day school. You can only have a minute-by-minute monitoring of your kid only if you are a 24-hour stay-at-home mom or dad. Even at that, don't you go to the market and leave them at home?.
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by NL1960: 12:35pm On Mar 15, 2016
byvan03:

I will answer your question, as long as my child is under 18, raising continues for me.

Good answer. These days, we have children entering the Higher Institution at 16 or 17. What happens in this instance?. Will you prevent the kid from entering the higher institution if he/she passes JAMB or will the child be going for lectures from home until he turns 18?.

1 Like

Re: Boarding School Or Day School by byvan03: 12:44pm On Mar 15, 2016
NL1960:

Good answer. These days, we have children entering the Higher Institution at 16 or 17. What happens in this instance?. Will you prevent the kid from entering the higher institution if he/she passes JAMB or will the child be going for lectures from home until he turns 18?.

Higher institution is a different ball game, as long as you are under 18, you remain a child to me. So yes, I will weigh my pros and cons, then figure out what to do then. The issue now is secondary education, to board or not. I have more fears about this boarding thing than I will care to type. I work with kids in that system so my knowledge of how it works is first hand and I know what's obtainable .
Re: Boarding School Or Day School by Nobody: 1:13pm On Mar 15, 2016
Day school abeg...
I no fit shout..
Need to watch my kids like a hawk...

I no one hear stories, they are all have got when that time reach.... Even in university sef, i will try to let go small... sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help My Brother I'm loosing my mind / My Dad Wants To Marry Again, A Yr After My Mums Demise. Advice Pls. / Please Advice!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.