Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:29 AM

Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord (47833 Views)

Pimping My 1998 Camry / My Car Is Stalling And Jerking When On Motion. / Help, My 1998 Camry Is Having Issues (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by DUNKA(m): 10:56am On Jul 20, 2009
Gurus in the house I need your assistance.
My 1998 Honda Accord jerks whenever I am trying to accelerate from a stationary position. i.e it will jerk for about 5 seconds before normal acceleration occurs.

It also occurs when I am trying to overtake it will suddenly start jerking for about 5 secods before it lets off.My mechanic has checked it but there is still no improvement.

Anybody that has any advise I would be grateful for it.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by spikedcylinder: 10:58am On Jul 20, 2009
Na wa o. The title is so misleading. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by darella(m): 11:05am On Jul 20, 2009
Check ur fuel pump
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by londonboy1: 1:20pm On Jul 20, 2009
my brother i have the same problem with my 2000 Honda, done everything the mechanics have said, but all in vain, eg changed the sensor, changed the gear filter, change gear oil, and the fuel pump. so the only thing left is to change the gear box, which i intend to do.
so my advice is for you to try changing ur gear box if its automatic, because this mechanics would just continue asking you to change different things.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by dholla1(m): 2:28pm On Jul 20, 2009
I had the same issue with my 2004 honda accord. After much ado (and money spent) I was advised to get a diagnostic test done on the car. The issue turned out to be the throttle body. Apparently two of the sensors attached to it were malfunctioning. Had it changed a month ago and its been ok ever since.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 20, 2009
@topic this thread topic actually took my thots somwhere else grin

1 Like

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Igwe9(m): 8:16pm On Jul 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Na wa o. The title is so misleading. cheesy
adahna:

@topic this thread topic actually took my thots somwhere else grin
Oh! una think say na romance section be this. . . . . . .  cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin even spiky sef,. . . na waoo! grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by spikedcylinder: 8:23pm On Jul 20, 2009
Lol. Na you sabi. cheesy
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Igwe9(m): 8:39pm On Jul 20, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Lol. Na you sabi. cheesy
howdy! . , . . . . . what are you doing here? smiley smiley
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by spikedcylinder: 9:03pm On Jul 20, 2009
Ahn ahn. I browse through these pages from time to time na. tongue
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Igwe9(m): 10:33pm On Jul 20, 2009
okay ooooo! cool
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by sultaan(m): 2:28am On Jul 21, 2009
That is one of the advantage of driving an auto transmmission wink

It called a misfire

Get your codes, your check engine light is on, probably a bad spark plug, change all plugs and wire.

1 Like

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by londonboy1: 9:28am On Jul 21, 2009
my brother i think i believe what you said about the accelerator sensor thing, because i did do a diagnostic scan , which came back saying the accelerator sensor had a problem, but then the problem of getting a mechanic to change it became an issue. although i live in port, can you please give me Ur mechanics number. and thanks for the information.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by sultaan(m): 10:35am On Jul 21, 2009
london boy:

my brother i think i believe what you said about the accelerator sensor thing, because i did do a diagnostic scan , which came back saying the accelerator sensor had a problem, but then the problem of getting a mechanic to change it became an issue. although i live in port, can you please give me Ur mechanics number. and thanks for the information.

There are snsors near the throttle body IAC,MAF, and TPS Your codes will tell you which one it could be.The TPS is the usual culprit,throttle body and IAC can be cleaned with a throttle body cleaner.Its a simple easy fix if you know what the codes are.My bet is still on ignition.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by izz971: 1:05pm On Jul 21, 2009
Hi Dunka, I had similar problem sometime ago. Mine starts when my fuel meter reads half tank. I wash my tank. It couldnt work. My mechanics said its one small rubber seal in the tank's fuel pump. but because we cant find the seal we decided to buy complete fuel pump. After installation it couldnt work. so we remove d seal in d old pump and replace it with the new one. Tell u, i can drive till my tank is empty now.

Lesson learnt: d car starts jerking when d seal starts leaking pressure. when u accelerate, d pressure that suppose to push petrol up to the injector from the pump leaks from the bad seal. this create
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by icemann(m): 3:05pm On Jul 21, 2009
Same thing happned to me a year ago. I cleaned my injector nozzels and every tin stopped
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Immune1(m): 5:48pm On Jul 21, 2009
My guess is a slightly dented exhaust pipe or clogging along the emission the emission lines,especially if the check engine light does come on.Goodluck
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by Immune1(m): 6:00pm On Jul 21, 2009
I meant to say if 'the check engine light doesn't come on'.Associated problems would be fuel delivery or other speed advances in distributor.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by fyneboi(m): 6:21pm On Jul 21, 2009
Does the check engine light come on?  It could be the Fuel filter is clogged, preventing continuous fuel flow

to the engine or it could be the Air filter or Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor is bad, it might need cleaning or replacement.

The MAF regulate the amount of air your engine intake, if your engine is not getting enough air, you car will jerk

when the engine need air the most especially at startup or high acceleration.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by nex(m): 6:52pm On Jul 21, 2009
I don't even know how to drive, but unluckily for me, a friend had this problem with his car and after all the mechanics from Lagos had been invited to Benin and after Alliance Autos in VI had cashed N1.2 million from us, we had to do it ourselves. We downloaded the service manual then proceeded to work.

There are two possibilities, if not both together. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS), or the Exhaust Gas Recirculation sensor or valve (EGR sensor or EGR valve).

We blocked of the EGR pipe from the throttle body using a thin metal plate.

Then we changed the MAS.

Car accelerates like It's on steroids now. In fact, reading about blocking the EGR pipe, one mad mechanic based in the US let us know that blocking the EGR pipe gives it more power and more fuel efficiency than the first day the car was bought brand new.

A lot of mechanics using the diagnostic equipment don't even know how to translate the codes. The last idiot that came translated "DTC" as Damaged Throttle, Change. Meanwhile when we check our Service/Workshop Manual, it really meant Diagnostic Trouble Code, and had no meaning till you add the figures after it. So be careful the kind of mechanic you hand your car to, even when he's carrying a computer.

These trial and error mechanics will make you change everything in the car. We changed virtually all the sensors, we changed filters, changed plugs several times, we even changed the brainbox. However, when we were asked to change the brainbox again, the throttle body and even totally change the engine and convert it to a Camry 2.2 engine, we began to realise we weren't the ones that were mad.

Well goodluck with the EGR and MAS. Be stern with your mechanic. Let him know you know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by nex(m): 9:35pm On Jul 22, 2009
what's new with your ride so far?

Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by dholla1(m): 2:42pm On Jul 23, 2009
london boy:

His name is Ayo - 08055312883. Hope this helps wink
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by londonboy1: 7:54pm On Jul 23, 2009
Thank you my brother for the mechanics number.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by diehard1: 7:52am On Jul 26, 2009
nex:

I don't even know how to drive, but unluckily for me, a friend had this problem with his car and after all the mechanics from Lagos had been invited to Benin and after Alliance Autos in VI had cashed N1.2 million from us, we had to do it ourselves. We downloaded the service manual then proceeded to work.

There are two possibilities, if not both together. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAS), or the Exhaust Gas Recirculation sensor or valve (EGR sensor or EGR valve).

We blocked of the EGR pipe from the throttle body using a thin metal plate.

Then we changed the MAS.

Car accelerates like It's on steroids now. In fact, reading about blocking the EGR pipe, one mad mechanic based in the US let us know that blocking the EGR pipe gives it more power and more fuel efficiency than the first day the car was bought brand new.

A lot of mechanics using the diagnostic equipment don't even know how to translate the codes. The last idiot that came translated "DTC" as Damaged Throttle, Change. Meanwhile when we check our Service/Workshop Manual, it really meant Diagnostic Trouble Code, and had no meaning till you add the figures after it. So be careful the kind of mechanic you hand your car to, even when he's carrying a computer.

These trial and error mechanics will make you change everything in the car. We changed virtually all the sensors, we changed filters, changed plugs several times, we even changed the brainbox. However, when we were asked to change the brainbox again, the throttle body and even totally change the engine and convert it to a Camry 2.2 engine, we began to realise we weren't the ones that were mad.

Well goodluck with the EGR and MAS. Be stern with your mechanic. Let him know you know.

May God bless u, same thing happens to my nissan maxima and i was told to change my engine !! though on diagnosis i did not see similar code. When i fire my engine , i hear a funny sound from the area u worked on, in my own case it is de MAF. May try to do what u did.
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by duro: 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2009
Men this house is blessed with a lot of Talents ooo grin Talented and expert mechanics and una say una dey look for Job. What are these people waiting for. Seun I beg in adddition to this auto section pls open a Mechanic section. I believe it will compliment the auto section so that once somebody buys a car from Nairaland he can equally repair the car from the mechanic section on naira land. How una see am now grin A least no need for Vin Checks again the sellers Nightmare grin
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by nex(m): 5:32pm On Jul 26, 2009
@diehard1

what I typed was actually on a 96 Nissan Maxima. It is worse hit by this problem. Nissan Maxima for 1996 to 1999 I think was not meant for Africa at all especially with the type of low octane fuel we buy here.

@duro

if you open mechanic workshop for us, we no run O!
Re: Jerking When Trying To Accelerate My 1998 Honda Accord by ogahimself(m): 5:52pm On Jul 26, 2009
i had this problem on my honda too a while back and it neva got solved till i stopped driving the car,

(1) (Reply)

15 Most Loved Cars In Nigeria. / 2020 Honda Invisus: The Most Amazing Honda Car Ever Imagined (photos) / BMW Replies A Twitter User Asking For A Free Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.