Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

How To Slice Onion Without Tears - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Slice Onion Without Tears (1134 Views)

Is It Possible To Fry Plantain(dodo) Without Tasting Any Slice Throughout?! / Why Suya Meats Sellers Onion Tastes Different / Coconut Rice With Onion Veg Melon Sauce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Slice Onion Without Tears by DSuperWoman(f): 4:26pm On Mar 14, 2016
When you cut onion it releases a gas called propanethial S-oxide, and when this gas reacts with water it becomes an acid. The thing is there happens to be a lot of water in your eyes and that’s why they get irritated when you cut onion. Here are five ways you can prevent the gas from entering your eyes while you cut

CUT ONION WITH STRONG BREEZE BLOWING: Cut your onion next to your window (for windy days) or beside a fan to avoid eye irritation. The wind will blow away the gas from the onion.

CHILL THE ONION: Put the onion in the freezer for just 15 minutes before chopping this will reduce the amount of gas released. Refrigerate, don’t freeze.

SOAK THE ONION IN WATER: Soaking the onion in water (for 15 minutes) will draw out the propanethial S-oxide and make it less irritating but will also kill most of its taste as well.

CUT UNDER RUNNING WATER: The moving water will redirect much of the onion vapors away from your eyes.

WEAR TIGHT FITTED GOGGLES: A tight-fitted goggle is the best solution for preventing onion gases from entering your eyes. If you have a pair of swimmer’s goggles or chemistry goggles that fit your face, this is one of your best bets. No onion air will be getting in there! But if they don’t fit your face, you’re just cutting an onion with weird glasses on, crying all the while.

SOURCE : http://superwoman.com.ng/index.php/2016/02/28/how-to-cut-onion-without-tears/
Re: How To Slice Onion Without Tears by DaVinci24(m): 4:38pm On Mar 14, 2016
You can also put a small piece of bread on the knife you are using. Thank me later
Re: How To Slice Onion Without Tears by DSuperWoman(f): 6:01pm On Mar 14, 2016
have you tried it? does it work? i know the idea is for the bread to absorb the gases but from research, some people said the bread thing didn't work. Are you speaking from experience?
DaVinci24:
You can also put a small piece of bread on the knife you are using. Thank me later
Re: How To Slice Onion Without Tears by DaVinci24(m): 6:06pm On Mar 14, 2016
DSuperWoman:
have you tried it? does it work? i know the idea is for the bread to absorb the gases but from research, some people said the bread thing didn't work. Are you speaking from experience?

Experience is the best, this is tried and tested.
Re: How To Slice Onion Without Tears by DSuperWoman(f): 9:11pm On Mar 14, 2016
aite thanks for sharing will test myself.
DaVinci24:

Experience is the best, this is tried and tested.
Re: How To Slice Onion Without Tears by Sogen2(f): 12:02am On Mar 15, 2016
Chewing gum while cutting onion also works

(1) (Reply)

10 Tips: How To Be A Better Cook / When Whites 'modernize' Eba & Vegetable Soup / Turmeric Rice Also Known As Yellow Rice Recipe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.