Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,030 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:13 PM

The Best Species Of Fish - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / The Best Species Of Fish (10093 Views)

Some Popular Species Of Chickens We Eat In Nigeria [PHOTOS] / What Species Of Cassava Has High Ethanol Content / Good Species Of Plantain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Best Species Of Fish by presido2012(m): 4:52pm On Mar 15, 2016
Hello Farmers Please can any body tell me the best and fast grow species of a fish, I did not want the one I will keep till one year before harvest please be honest to me,
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by MAAF: 9:29pm On Mar 15, 2016
I have a fish farm and when I started I used Hetero, then I noticed that Hetero which is known to have unlimited growth grew to a good size i.e more than 1kg in 6 months , but we're less active and had more fishes that had stunted growth.
I then stocked Claris and discovered that they grew faster in my concrete pond and were more active and full of energy. So currently I use Clarias for my melange fish farming and so far output has been good.
Some people use a hybrid of the two species but av not tried it.
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by kennyausta: 10:23pm On Mar 15, 2016
MAAF:
I have a fish farm and when I started I used Hetero, then I noticed that Hetero which is known to have unlimited growth grew to a good size i.e more than 1kg in 6 months , but we're less active and had more fishes that had stunted growth.
I then stocked Claris and discovered that they grew faster in my concrete pond and were more active and full of energy. So currently I use Clarias for my melange fish farming and so far output has been good.
Some people use a hybrid of the two species but av not tried it.

How long did u store your Claris?
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by gspace1960(m): 9:04am On Mar 16, 2016
catfish hybrid is d best of all follow by hetero b4 clarias........BT people prefer clarias bcuz of itz strong resistance 2 disease and oda stuffz(clarias and hetero its like cockerel and broilers in chicken prodtn) .....
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by MAAF: 11:20am On Mar 16, 2016
kennyausta:

How long did u store your Claris?

You mean how long did I stock my Clarias before sale? I stock my Clarias for 3.5 to 4 months then I sell off. I have shooters from the stock that can weigh 600grams at that stage but the average weight is 300-400grams.
The good thing I like about Clarias is that I do not have as much mortality, I stocked 15,000 fingerlings and so far only had 30 mortality and that was during the first month, that is not excluding cannibalism even though I sort my fishes well.
So if you want melange fish farming Clarias is good, if you want grow out fishes of above 2kg , Hetero is better I think, but it does better in earthen ponds, so they say, av not tried.
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by presido2012(m): 10:22pm On Mar 16, 2016
Thanks, so what you are suggesting to me is to go Hybrid cat fish is the fast grow, can you give me your contact if you have fingerling.
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by aeboiy: 9:26am On May 23, 2017
gspace1960:
catfish hybrid is d best of all follow by hetero b4 clarias........BT people prefer clarias bcuz of itz strong resistance 2 disease and oda stuffz(clarias and hetero its like cockerel and broilers in chicken prodtn) .....

I am a breeder. Actually, it is the other way round, heterobancus is the strongest, the reason people dont stock them is because
1. They are violent and carnivorous in nature.
2. they are slow in growth at the initial stage, but when they start growing, they grow to 20kg, I have seen 15kg personally.
3. You can't stock too much in a pond.
4. Only the rich can afford them

Advantages are:
1. Resistance to disease
2. Unlimited growth (15kg about)
3. Long life span (more than 10 years)
4. Very sweet.
5. They don't eat much.
Hybrid:
This is a cross of Heterobancus and Clarias gariepinus.
This, in my opinion is the best if you want to go into Catfish farming. It grows well from the start and resistance to disease is higher than Clarias gariepinus, though they are carnivorous if you do not sort them well.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Best Species Of Fish by GreatCracker(m): 11:23pm On Dec 05, 2018
aeboiy:

I am a breeder. Actually, it is the other way round, heterobancus is the strongest, the reason people dont stock them is because
2. they are slow in growth at the initial stage, but when they start growing, they grow to 20kg, I have seen 15kg personally.

Advantages are:
1. Resistance to disease
4. Very sweet.
5. They don't eat much.
Hybrid:
This, in my opinion is the best if you want to go into Catfish farming. It grows well from the start and resistance to disease is higher than Clarias gariepinus, though they are carnivorous if you do not sort them well.

undecided
aeboiy:

Advantages are:
1. Resistance to disease
4. Very sweet.
5. They don't eat much.
Hybrid:

please can I have your contact details
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by olaeffect(m): 9:53am On Dec 07, 2018
following.
Re: The Best Species Of Fish by Treasure8889: 12:06pm On Oct 09, 2019
Pls, can I stock hybrid cat Fish in my concrete tile pond. Help...

(1) (Reply)

Goat Farming : Zero Grazing & Urban Goat Farming / Hybrid Cashew Seedlings & seed (medium n Brazilian Jumbo) is available for sell / Farms In Pictures (global)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.