Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,647 members, 7,809,445 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why (5025 Views)

Woman Got Burnt As Gas Cylinder Explodes While Using Her Phone (Graphic photos) / Get Glo Gift-data, Here, Now. / Major Causes Of Battery Drain In Android Devices (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 1:55pm On Mar 16, 2016
Ever wondered why your battery doesn't last while on internet? The reason isn't far fetched from the fact that our phones use more battery juice while trying to connect to data services both on 3G and 2G. Even though 3G consumes more battery, it is important to note that if your phone is on 2G, it also consumes more than usual as the phone tries to using the best connection and the more it tries making use of the slower 2G, the more battery drain.

The major battery draining factor is called Fast Dormancy. Fast Dormancy, or FD, is a mobile technology feature designed to reduce battery consumption and network utilization between mobile devices and their respective carrier networks during periods of data inactivity.

When your phone is connected via data (not wifi) your phone needs to enter certain states in order to maintain this connection. If your Operator does not have FD support or you have it disabled, then basically your states are just connected or not connected. What this means is that every time your phone connects to data, it will have to go through all of its internal functions in order to achieve the connection and perform the data transfer. This is slow and obviously the more processing that is required, the more the hit on battery.

It is currently implemented by monitoring the activity level of the mobile device and setting it to an appropriate control channel and power state appropriate for its level of activity. Each state results in different power consumption and network throughput while allowing a consistent data connection to be maintained.

FD tries to limit this problem by having several different states. Each state has a different level of connection throughput and power consumption.

[b]DCH - High volume data (highest power consumption).

FACH - Lower volume. Devices are switched to this channel state when the data transfer rate is low enough where using the DCH would render no benefit. This channel state requires less power consumption compared to the DCH state. Devices are automatically switched back to the DCH state if the data transfer rate begins to exceed the maximum throughput possible with FACH and DCH becomes beneficial.

PCH - No data but keeps connection. The lowest data connectivity state. Devices are typically switched to this state when no data transfers are in progress. It keeps the data connection active between the device and the carrier network and allows for data transfers to quickly begin without requiring the device to execute the typical connection procedures and re-connect to the network.

IDLE_CCCH - Used during prolonged data inactivity. No data connectivity is established, but the device remains on the Common Control Channel (CCH) so that call paging, call origination, and other non-data protocols can still function.

IDLE - Connection dropped or no connection can be found. (lowest power consumption).[/b]

When in DCH state, your phone is doing the highest volume of data transfer, and obviously consuming most power out of your battery.
The way FD will work is when transfer rates drop, the state drops to FACH for less power consumption and then back up immediately to DCH if required, or if this transfer state is over for the time being, (eg. you have stopped browsing) instead of going back to IDLE which would mean going through all the connection procedures next time data is required, the state drops down to PCH. This is a very low powered state, and when data is subsequently required, it can then immediately go back up to FACH or DCH with minimal effort. Going up/down between each states takes the least amount of time and battery.

Note: Both your phone and carrier (Operator) must support FD for you to use the functionality. Your phone might support it while your carrier might not have the technology

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 5:33pm On Mar 16, 2016
Long thing, just, just root and greenify that's all.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Otantu: 5:48pm On Mar 16, 2016
Youngpo413:
greenify? How? Please explain more
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by ewizard1: 5:59pm On Mar 16, 2016
Youngpo413:
What do you want to greenify? grin grin grin. ( Some people sef)

Do you even know where those things are in your phone?
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Chuksemi(m): 6:05pm On Mar 16, 2016
I didn't read that shit. Just here to famz...
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 6:06pm On Mar 16, 2016
ewizard1:

What do you want to greenify? grin grin grin. ( Some people sef)

Do you even know where those things are in your phone?
I meant greenify will Stop the battery drain while using mobile data. I DON'T give a bleeped about where those things are in your phone, so that's your business.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 6:17pm On Mar 16, 2016
Pls stop misleading ppl here. Greenify hibernates apps you choose u don't need to be running. Though it saves battery but the article speaks more on why u have battery drain while on internet. Are u saying u gonna Greenify apps like the same browser you're using to access the internet or you'll Greenify bbm or WhatsApp while chatting. Greenify hibernates these apps when u don't need them.

Mind you, you can still have Greenify but not get good battery life if you don't have the full version which offers more like greenifying system apps, controls Gcm, coalesce etc.

Greenify doesn't even offer best battery life compared to Amplify.

Youngpo413:
I meant greenify will Stop the battery drain while using mobile data. I DON'T give a bleeped about where those things are in your phone, so that's your business.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 6:21pm On Mar 16, 2016
OutOnBail:
Pls stop misleading ppl here. Greenify hibernates apps you choose u don't need to be running. Though it saves battery but the article speaks more on why u have battery drain while on internet. Are u saying u gonna Greenify apps like the same browser you're using to access the internet or you'll Greenify bbm or WhatsApp while chatting. Greenify hibernates these apps when u don't need them.

Mind you, you can still have Greenify but not get good battery life if you don't have the full version which offers more like greenifying system apps, controls Gcm, coalesce etc.

Greenify doesn't even offer best battery life compared to Amplify.

k
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by ewizard1: 6:53pm On Mar 16, 2016
Youngpo413:
Sorry bro... those thing he mentioned are not apps and I doubt greenify can even touch them... if greenify should stop them (which I doubt it could), then you won't even be able to access internet at all.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Standing5(m): 7:03pm On Mar 16, 2016
Nice article. People think the opposite most times.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by izospindle(m): 8:37pm On Mar 16, 2016
so op what is the solution use 3g or 2g
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by izospindle(m): 8:38pm On Mar 16, 2016
so op what is the solution use 3g or 2g or auto select
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 9:23pm On Mar 16, 2016
Thanks for this. Sure he thinks FD is an app. Comprehension is essential.

ewizard1:

Sorry bro... those thing he mentioned are not apps and I doubt greenify can even touch them... if greenify should stop them (which I doubt it could), then you won't even be able to access internet at all.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 9:36pm On Mar 16, 2016
Well, this depends on your internet need and strength of your data connection. Internet needs, I mean for example, I use 2G when I'm strictly on bbm and WhatsApp while I switch to 3G when I need to load a page faster then switch back after loading. For me, 2G meets my chat demands however it could be slow when loading pictures. 2G that isn't strong enuf drains battery cos the phone is programmed to connect to the best network and in doing so, it scans for the best available one which in turn has an impact on battery life.

The article is just an eye opener on why ur battery tends to drain faster while using data. And like I said, even if your phone supports it, tour network operator might not have the tech that supports it I.e it has to be switched on at the own end too.

For easy switching between 2g and 3g, I use an xposed module which is just like an app and it's called Intelli3g. This module also switches based on certain conditions e.g it automatically switches to 3g when my phone is plugged and switch back to 2g when not connected. It also switches to 2g when screen is off. I call it a module cos you need a framework called xposed to get it to work.

You can check my other topics on how to get xposed to work. To get the best out of the Greenify app, you need xposed too as well as Amplify app which is one of the best battery saving apps. It works by limiting wakelocks, services and alarms which are the major battery draining culprits

izospindle:
so op what is the solution use 3g or 2g or auto select

1 Like

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by ITbomb(m): 11:07pm On Mar 16, 2016
Yeah the OP is right, that's exactly what happens when your data is being used.
However, if you were looking for simple tasks you can do on your Android and PC to save data
Click here
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by hollistarMOB(m): 11:08pm On Mar 16, 2016
Oshe
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by dasphinx1(m): 12:09am On Mar 17, 2016
Enlightening!!!!! thanks @OP wink
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by mumumugu(m): 12:30am On Mar 17, 2016
How do we prevent it
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Yorubago(f): 12:51am On Mar 17, 2016
Too long... Did not read all of it...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Xhaka(m): 2:33am On Mar 17, 2016
If you use a phone like L5, you'll stop worrying about battery.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 21, 2016
Rooted phone, download L speed app. locate LNET Optimizer enable fast dormancy.
None root, download MTK engineering mode. Tap MTK setting select fast dormancy
tap configFD set at on, go back tap sendFD notifies success.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 8:12pm On May 21, 2016
indigene:
and......
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 9:31pm On May 21, 2016
Outonbail, pls I need more info on gravity box.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by joey150(m): 11:32pm On May 21, 2016
indigene:
guy please i got the app..what other tweaks apart from this can i do? With regards to battery life
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Nobody: 10:00am On May 22, 2016
Youngpo413:
and......

If your are using mtk reboot your device.
L speed close and relaunch to get root access.
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Nobody: 10:07am On May 22, 2016
joey150:
guy please i got the app..what other tweaks apart from this can i do? With regards to battery life
Go back to the app at playstore, tap read more and see the developer's basic settings
You can do other tweaks. One is enabling the fast dormancy, boosting your sd, network fast accellaration
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Nobody: 1:42pm On May 23, 2016
Screenshot ur settings of lspeed
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 1:47pm On May 24, 2016
Simply put, gravitybox is used for tweaking devices and to use it, you must be rooted. You don't really need it if you are on lollipop and above however if your device is KitKat then you'll probably need it. That's cos most of the settings are already incorporated into lollipop and other recent android flavours.

Youngpo413:
Outonbail, pls I need more info on gravity box.

1 Like

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by OutOnBail(m): 1:58pm On May 24, 2016
But bro, pls correct me if wrong. I think and based on extensive reading, fast dormancy works only if device and network operator supports it. It's a two way thing. Not really sure L-speed would give any effect if network operator doesn't support it.

The best way I've found to have a good battery life is you flashing a kernel that's superbly great in managing battery life and combine such with kernel management apps like kernel adiutor or stweaks. Stweaks is still the best but your kernel must support it for you to feel the effect. To get the best battery life, I use these apps to regulate my CPU voltage by undervolting it to reduce temperature, controlling the frequency cos I really love my device to be in deep sleep mode while idle.

Xposed is another great app to use which you can combine with several modules to tweak your phone however you want it.

indigene:

Go back to the app at playstore, tap read more and see the developer's basic settings
You can do other tweaks. One is enabling the fast dormancy, boosting your sd, network fast accellaration

Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by Youngpo413: 2:32pm On May 24, 2016
OutOnBail:
Simply put, gravitybox is used for tweaking devices and to use it, you must be rooted. You don't really need it if you are on lollipop and above however if your device is KitKat then you'll probably need it. That's cos most of the settings are already incorporated into lollipop and other recent android flavours.

Thanks
Re: Heavy Battery Drain While Using Data? Here's Why by teelaweee(m): 3:53pm On May 24, 2016
Youngpo413:
are u sure greenify works because am tired of those battery savers that don't do anything

(1) (Reply)

Mtn 3g Vs Glo 4g Lte Internet Speed Test(Shocking Result) / Nokia Forum(all About Ur Nokia Fone) / Get Your Free Uk Number(+447: ) To Ring On Your 9ja Line

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.