Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,530 members, 7,819,909 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos (29945 Views)

General Hospital Ambulance Dumps Sick Man On Drip Along The Road - Twitter User / Outrage As Gbagada General Hospital, Lagos, Liters The Road With Patients Blood / Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 8:39am On Mar 17, 2016
The main issue is to subject the babies to the right environmental conditions. In particular, temperature, humidity and sterility.
In the case of inadequate number of incubators, two babies can share though it is not the best practice.

I don't even see why we can't build that incubator locally.

3 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 8:42am On Mar 17, 2016
Gamesmart:

Nonsense. How can one hospital have $750 billion as annual budget.

Liar! Show us your evidence.

Correction it is 750 MILLION....not billion.

My overall point still stands though.

Massachusetts General Hospital conducts the largest hospital-based research program in the world, with an annual research budget of more than $750 million. It is currently ranked as the #1 hospital in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_General_Hospital
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by fm7070: 8:44am On Mar 17, 2016
Maybe they are twins and are destined to have things in common
Naija I hail thee..
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by SURElee(f): 8:48am On Mar 17, 2016
madridguy:
Some people above me just dey foam like omo soap as if dey know more than the medical expert. In absent of incubator let them use one for 2 babies what matter most is their lives.

God bless you. My neighbour lost one of her twins in 2010 because of incubator. I wonder why the health staff didn't think of this.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by tammie24: 8:52am On Mar 17, 2016
at least they are alive
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Dezzx(m): 9:04am On Mar 17, 2016
temitemi1:
This can only happen in my country Nigeria.
thanks to 16 yrs of PDP misrule angry sad

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Leopantro: 9:06am On Mar 17, 2016
SURElee:

God bless you. My neighbour lost one of her twins in 2010 because of incubator. I wonder why the health staff didn't think of this.

Because the baby would share micro organisms from the other baby.

@OP, welcome to Nigeria. You are even lucky to see an incubator. With no fuel and no electricity, an incubator is practically useless. Have seen cases in which the husband bought a generator to use with the incubator to save his child.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by maasoap(m): 9:12am On Mar 17, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
In 2013, OAUTH's budget was $11 MILLION. In the same period , the budget for Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston was $750 billion.

In my opinion, the problem is that it is very difficult to adequately fund healthcare in Nigeria. A hospital in Nigeria cannot fund itself adequately from hospital fees, government funding is falling because Government has too many hospitals to fund. and there is the corruption.

Recently, State House hospital got more money than an average government run teaching hospital. While it was wrong....even if State House clinic had been funded at an amount less than that of the government hospital...it won;t be enough.

The only solution is to raise hospital fees, raise taxes to fund the hospitals better, and make the hospital public private. Oil prices have fallen, and even then, funding was still difficult.

Modified: Cost of an incubator:900-1800us dollars

Cost of twenty incubators: 18,000- 36000 us dollars

Cost in naira: 7.2MILLION naira.(http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/baby-incubator-price.html)
Crap I would call what you posted. Only if you have an idea of what these leaders are stealing everyday, you wouldn't have thought that raising hospital bills is the way out.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 9:14am On Mar 17, 2016
Leopantro:

Because the baby would share micro organisms from the other baby. [b][/b]

@OP, welcome to Nigeria. You are even lucky to see an incubator. With no fuel and no electricity, an incubator is practically useless. Have seen cases in which the husband bought a generator to use with the incubator to save his child.
Looking at the cost and benefits, is it not better to share micro organisms than lost a life. On a second thought since both babies shared the same womb why couldn't they have shared the same incubator since there was just one available

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 9:21am On Mar 17, 2016
maasoap:
Crap I would call what you posted. Only if you have an idea of what these leaders are stealing everyday, you wouldn't have thought that raising hospital bills is the way out.

The painful thing is that even if we ended stealing, it won't make things much better.

That is why we must oppose corruption with all our might in Nigeria...they that steal from Nigeria are like those who steal from a family with just N2000 to their name.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by ahamonyeka(m): 9:31am On Mar 17, 2016
I don't see anything wrong in that before they do they have their reasons may be there is no enough incubator so they decided to so in other to save the lives of the chap .
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Gamesmart: 9:44am On Mar 17, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Correction it is 750 MILLION....not billion.

My overall point still stands though.

Massachusetts General Hospital conducts the largest hospital-based research program in the world, with an annual research budget of more than $750 million. It is currently ranked as the #1 hospital in the United States by U.S. News & World Report.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_General_Hospital

That is more like it.

$750 billion? shocked

That would have been like more than the total national budget of Denmark going to just one US hospital.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 9:46am On Mar 17, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Yea, right

Well, you talked about ridiculous requirements in your signature
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by sweetcocoa(f): 9:47am On Mar 17, 2016
GreatAgb:

Well, you talked about ridiculous requirements in your signature
They are ridiculous.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by egobetatoday: 9:48am On Mar 17, 2016
madridguy:
Some people above me just dey foam like omo soap as if dey know more than the medical expert. In absent of incubator let them use one for 2 babies what matter most is their lives.

the problem is that the children are supposed to be kept in strict hygienic conditions. Infact the parents are not supposed to touch the incubating child. But na naija we dey sha...

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by DeRay98(m): 9:49am On Mar 17, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
In 2013, OAUTH's budget was $11 MILLION. In the same period , the budget for Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston was $750 billion.

In my opinion, the problem is that it is very difficult to adequately fund healthcare in Nigeria. A hospital in Nigeria cannot fund itself adequately from hospital fees, government funding is falling because Government has too many hospitals to fund. and there is the corruption.

Recently, State House hospital got more money than an average government run teaching hospital. While it was wrong....even if State House clinic had been funded at an amount less than that of the government hospital...it won;t be enough.

The only solution is to raise hospital fees, raise taxes to fund the hospitals better, and make the hospital public private. Oil prices have fallen, and even then, funding was still difficult.

Modified: Cost of an incubator:900-1800us dollars

Cost of twenty incubators: 18,000- 36000 us dollars

Cost in naira: 7.2MILLION naira.(http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/baby-incubator-price.html)

20 Incubators for N7.2m is not costly for that rate every govt hospital should have enough but the funny thing is that corruption is the reason there are not of these equipment.
If you see how ministry of Health officials fight dirty over the contracts for these things you will upset. Lagos state has been investing in Health care steadily in the last 16 yrs but the ministry is the bane.
A friend of mine who is a dealer in medical equipment confided in me how his proposal to supply equipment to the ministry of health in Lagos, caused fighting among them.
The commissioner has his clique in the ministry who fronts him, some rival DGs have their own.
Firstly, He was asked to take his proposal back and inflate the cost of his equipment on his own letter heading, to include their own share when he gets paid for the supply. that clique started to hide the proposal from the other clique so that those guys won't have access to or high-jack the contract. For that reason, the proposal was delayed as the clique in possession had to find a way to get it to the guvnor for approval with the rival clique knowing.
Another instance a friend who was the only non MD in Fashola's health care advisory committee, advised the guvnor to set up more eye care units in the state's primary health centres and equip these units for eye care. Fashola requested him to recommend equipment for these Eye care units which he did in a proposal and it was approved.
When the "equipment" were supplied he went to inspect so he could report to the guvnor, he found out that they had bought refurbished used equipment and not even the specification he recommended. He wrote a memo to the ministry objecting the what he saw and sent the memo to the commissioner through his. After a while Fashola requested for his report of inspection on the equipment that was supplied, he discovered that it was what was approved and summoned the commission and health advisors, they became furious with the guy for not letting them see his report before the guvnor saw it.
it was then then that he told them he had sent the report to the commissioners office months earlier but he never got a response, he had to show them his copy of signed receipt of the original sent to the commissioner's office that what exonerated him but he became the enemy of the MDs who make the most members of the committee, for exposing their deeds.
This is just 1 or 2 of such dealings by people who in the open pretend to be doing what they are supposed to be doing in public interest. In Federal and state ministries these things are used in budgets to rake money from govt but they are never bought or at best substandard ones are bought at inflated prices, in a very short time of use these equipment falls apart.

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 9:54am On Mar 17, 2016
sweetcocoa:
They are ridiculous.

But u just agreed that there is just one requirement, Grace.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by sweetcocoa(f): 9:57am On Mar 17, 2016
GreatAgb:

But u just agreed that there is just one requirement, Grace.
Hian! Where did I agree to that one?

You are not referring to the "yea right" written by me, are you?

Nigga that was sarcasm. grin
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 10:00am On Mar 17, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Hian! Where did I agree to that one?

You are not referring to the "yea right" written by me, are you?

Nigga that was sarcasm. grin

Didn't sound like one, or should I say, looked like one. tongue
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by softheart4love(m): 10:04am On Mar 17, 2016
Thanks for the wisdom, similar thing happened when I took my daughter to luth, she share bed with another person with another sickness rather than sending us back bcs there is no bed space and today I'm happy seeing my daughter alive

madridguy:

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by donodion(m): 10:13am On Mar 17, 2016
0rex:

You took those words right outa ma mouth bro.
There are abundance of opportunities witu the right funding,mindset and target audience in health sector in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 10:15am On Mar 17, 2016
0rex:
The main issue is to subject the babies to the right environmental conditions. In particular, temperature, humidity and sterility.
In the case of inadequate number of incubators, two babies can share though it is not the best practice.

Exactly....at the bolded.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by donodion(m): 10:16am On Mar 17, 2016
maasoap:

Your heart is blessed. Raising hospital bills? in this season, even with the expensive hospitals ans clinics in some cases clients still dont get the services deserved...Haba!!!

2 Likes

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by plankyjacky(m): 10:31am On Mar 17, 2016
who I wan blame now??
and to the babies, welcome to niigeria.
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by madridguy(m): 11:29am On Mar 17, 2016
Wow.... wonderful...Am glad to hear and see your testimonies. She is indeed beautiful and May God keep her for you. My regards to your princess.

softheart4love:
Thanks for the wisdom, similar thing happened when I took my daughter to luth, she share bed with another person with another sickness rather than sending us back bcs there is no bed space and today I'm happy seeing my daughter alive

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by madridguy(m): 11:30am On Mar 17, 2016
So when there is no enough incubator nko ?

egobetatoday:

the problem is that the children are supposed to be kept in strict hygienic conditions. Infact the parents are not supposed to touch the incubating child. But na naija we dey sha...
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by madridguy(m): 11:33am On Mar 17, 2016
God bless you too. May be such ideal does not come to the staff then. I don't mind anything in as much the victim is safe. May God help us.

SURElee:

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Nobody: 11:34am On Mar 17, 2016
madridguy:

There is a possibility of cross infections, but if the hospital staff are careful, it can be averted. Having said this, our health facilities are overstretched, maybe the generator no fit carry 2 incubators at the same time grin
Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by urchpath(m): 11:57am On Mar 17, 2016
Like seriously? What are these big babies doing inside an incubator. They are obviously more than 1.4kg and shouldn't be nursed in an incubator

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by oluwasegun007(m): 12:39pm On Mar 17, 2016
even if dem b twin, it is very wrong...

well, dat is what u get wen d budget only recognise 1 hospital

1 Like

Re: Photo Of Two Babies Sharing One Incubator At A General Hospital In Lagos by Ceccylia(f): 1:03pm On Mar 17, 2016
sasview:
The laying style is 69.
Bad guy... Lolz.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerians Bail Out Nursing Mother Detained In Lagos Hospital / Adanwimo Okafor Named General Counsel Of American Board Of Surgery / 60-Year-Old Man Commits Suicide In Kano (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.