Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,398 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation (609 Views)

See What Kenyan Student Did When He Was Given A Difficult Math Question In Exam / Get Paid #50,000 For Solving A Mathematical Task(Real and legal mods beware ) / Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation by TheRealGEJ: 7:15pm On Mar 17, 2016
It was a problem that had baffled mathematicians for centuries -- until British professor Andrew Wiles set his mind to it.

"There are no whole number solutions to the equation xn + yn = zn when n is greater than 2."

Otherwise known as "Fermat's Last Theorem," this equation was first posed by French mathematician Pierre de Fermat in 1637, and had stumped the world's brightest minds for more than 300 years.
In the 1990s, Oxford professor Andrew Wiles finally solved the problem, and this week was awarded the hugely prestigious 2016 Abel Prize -- including a $700,000 windfall.

Learning of the award, Wiles told the University of Oxford: "It is a tremendous honor ... Fermat's equation was my passion from an early age, and solving it gave me an overwhelming sense of fulfillment.

has always been my hope that my solution of this age-old problem would inspire many young people to take up mathematics and to work on the many challenges of this beautiful and fascinating subject."

The prize, often described as the Nobel of mathematics, was awarded by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, with an official ceremony featuring Crown Prince Haakon of Norway to take place in May.

"Wiles is one of very few mathematicians -- if not the only one -- whose proof of a theorem has made international headline news," said the Abel Committee.

Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/03/16/europe/fermats-last-theorem-solved-math-abel-prize/index.html
Re: Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation by sarzwizard(m): 7:18pm On Mar 17, 2016
Launching xerox toons
To get your pictures cartooned
send a high resolution pic to
08180141265 on whatsapp
#Nairaland number

Re: Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation by TheRealGEJ: 7:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
sarzwizard:
Launching xerox toons
To get your pictures cartooned
send a high resolution pic to
08180141265 on whatsapp
#Nairaland number

Hehehe... FTC all about business not else. You for just solve the maths and keep the $700K lolzz
Re: Professor Wins $700k For Solving 300-year-old Math Equation by Trafford(m): 11:26pm On Mar 17, 2016
TheRealGEJ:

Hehehe... FTC all about business not else. You for just solve the maths and keep the $700K lolzz

Wow that's nice. Education is truly profitable... I know things like this will never make front page... oga seun do something about your mods

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Are You Tired Of Hnd Discrimination? Achievers Uni Bridge Prog Is The Answer / Uniben Mba Fees / 2016/17 10 Most Sorted After University In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.