Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:39 AM

Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help (3163 Views)

BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary / Scent Leaf For Cough And Pregnancy / 2 Good Drug To Use For Your Heavy Cough This Dry Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by mascot87(m): 2:56pm On Mar 18, 2016
I will be brief as much as possible. This cough started last year January, the cough lasted for good 4 months. Is there anything i didn't use? I was really frustrated and visited my doctor so many time with different prescription but the cough refuse to go until towards the end of April last year. I remember that the drug i finally use before the cough left was Augumentine 625mg. I was relieved after the cough left and for the first time after about 4 month, i felt like a human being. Same year around September, the cough resumed again but this time around it lasted only for some few weeks and it wasn't that serious and disturbing. I used some few drugs and also cough syrup. Fast forward again to January this year, the cough resumed again just has it did last year. I visited the doctor immediately and drugs and some syrup were given to me but after using the drugs i did not observe any improvement. I went to buy Augumentine 625mg again and after completing the dosage, there was no improvement also.I went back to the doctor and a chest X-ray was carried out but the doctor says that there isn't really any issue with the X-ray but that i would be referred to a respiratory physician. When i got to the respiratory physician with a note from my referrer doctor and the X-Ray, the doctor also looked at the x-ray but he also said that the x-ray did not show any thing serious. He also gave me some drugs to use, i used the drug but there was no improvement. I am now very scared of using drugs cos the drugs i have used since the cough started is getting too much so has not to affect my body organ such as liver or even Kidney. I now result into using local traditional medicines and for the past 4 weeks i have been doing this but i can tell u there is no tangible progress. Some times it feels as if it as gone but at many other times it proves to be that it is still solidly there. The cough is a dry cough and it pains me in the chest anytime i cough. I am so so tired now cos it seems the doctors dont even know what to do again. I have used almost all know cough drugs and pills that i know and that people tell me but the cough is not going. This is the the 11th week now and with all i have used, the cough is just like it just started. The funny thing about this cough is that anytime i sleep at night and wake up in the morning, i feel so fine but within few minutes after waking up in the morning, the cough will start. This has been the trend of the cough for the past 11 weeks.I am totally fed up but i still believe that someone somewhere that will read this will have a solution that will end this nightmare in my life. I pray that person reads this. Lalasticlala can help push this.
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by Rhea(f): 3:27pm On Mar 18, 2016
[size=14pt]@mascot87

Sorry to hear about your problem. You have described a dry cough that is worse when you wake up.
I need you to answer the following to enable me figure out what may be going on.

1. Do you have heart burn?
2. What medications are you taking now? Every single medication you take including multivites
3. Do you smoke? Did you smoke in the past? Do you live with a smoker? Do you mingle in a smoking environment?
4. Do you have fever with the cough?
5. Have you gained or lost weight since the cough started?
6. What was the last antibiotics you took and how long did you take it?
7. Do you prop your head on a pillow when you sleep? How many?

As soon as I hear from you, I can try to come up with a differential diagnosis
[/size]
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by jubebaister(m): 3:31pm On Mar 18, 2016
Op.. Have u don't HIV Test? That's one of the basic symptoms... Cough lasting for months... 2-3months or more... Just saying... U will b healed.. In Jesus name...
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by mascot87(m): 6:38pm On Mar 18, 2016
Rhea:
[size=14pt]@mascot87

Sorry to hear about your problem. You have described a dry cough that is worse when you wake up.
I need you to answer the following to enable me figure out what may be going on.

1. Do you have heart burn?
2. What medications are you taking now? Every single medication you take including multivites
3. Do you smoke? Did you smoke in the past? Do you live with a smoker? Do you mingle in a smoking environment?
4. Do you have fever with the cough?
5. Have you gained or lost weight since the cough started?
6. What was the last antibiotics you took and how long did you take it?
7. Do you prop your head on a pillow when you sleep? How many?

As soon as I hear from you, I can try to come up with a differential diagnosis
[/size]

Thank you miss, I will answer your question one after the other.
1. I do have chest pains once in a while during the cough
2. Before now, I have taken Clary 500, Augumentin 625mg, Kufdryl cough expectorant, Coffline syrup,sabultamol,ascorex 15m/s & so many other traditional medicine. Presently I am taking only traditional medicine cos d number of drugs I have taken is too much already but the cough is not going
3.I don't smoke, I don't smoke in the past & I don't work or stay in an environment where people smoke
4.I have never had fever with the cough nor headaches
5.I didn't loss weight but I can say I gained a little weight self
6.Augumentin 625mg & I lasted for about 7 days
7.I don't get this question very well but I use pillow when I sleep at all times

Thank you
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by Rhea(f): 8:57pm On Mar 18, 2016
mascot87:

Thank you miss, I will answer your question one after the other.
1. I do have chest pains once in a while during the cough
2. Before now, I have taken Clary 500, Augumentin 625mg, Kufdryl cough expectorant, Coffline syrup,sabultamol,ascorex 15m/s & so many other traditional medicine. Presently I am taking only traditional medicine cos d number of drugs I have taken is too much already but the cough is not going
3.I don't smoke, I don't smoke in the past & I don't work or stay in an environment where people smoke
4.I have never had fever with the cough nor headaches
5.I didn't loss weight but I can say I gained a little weight self
6.Augumentin 625mg & I lasted for about 7 days
7.I don't get this question very well but I use pillow when I sleep at all times

Thank you

Cough is a reflec reaction to an irritant in the throat (pharynx). To treat it, you have to figure out what is irritating your throat and take care of that.

'Heartburn' (GERD) is a common cause of dry cough that is easy to miss. The acid reflux from the stomach can irritate the pharynx and cause a dry stubborn cough that does not respond to cough medications. If you do have heartburn, you may want to try some antacid to help provide relief or better still see your doctor.
If you do have some form of nasal drainage especially when you sleep, you may have allergic rhinitis. This is caused by an allergy to some irritant causing drainage of mucus down your throat into your pharynx causing irritation and a dry cough. Anti-histamines (actifed) usually treat that.
I asked about pillow because if you can only sleep comfortably with more than one pillow, you may have a heart problem which can also show its early signs with a dry cough
If you have fever at night and some weight loss with the cough, you may have TB. Nigeria has lots of TB despite the BCG vaccine we get at birth.

So if you have any more info you are missing out, let me know since it may be helpful in the diagnosis.
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by kingscheta: 10:26pm On Mar 18, 2016
Sorry to hear this but if you have gone for HIV test and you are negative then it means you are suffering from whopping cough. You must read this in other to make your own real cough syrup.
http://medbike..com/2015/12/home-remedies-for-cough-make-your-own.html
Am happy to help. cool
Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by grailife(m): 9:52am On Mar 19, 2016
HERBS AND THIER USES

1. ZINGIBER OFFICINALE

Common name - Ginger

CONTAINS: Essential oils

MEDICINAL VALUES

1. COUGH, ASTHMA, COLDS:
Mix 5 tablespoonfuls of powdered ginger with 1/2 a bottle of Natural honey. The dose is two tablespoons thrice daily.

2. SUPPRESSED MENSTRUATION, PAINFUL MENSTRUATION:
Add one teaspoonful of powered ginger to a cup of boiling water. Drink a cup twice daily.

3. JAUNDICE, HEPATITIS:
Mix 5 tablespoonfuls of powdered ginger with 1/2 bottle of Natural honey. The dose is three tablespoonfuls four times daily.

Re: Cough Frustrating Me Pls Help by Xpee94: 12:10pm On Mar 19, 2016
Wats d situation now?if no improvements. Let me no in time.Whr r u located.herbs will work wonders for u.

(1) (Reply)

9 Foods That Boost Your Libido / Skin Care / 12 Set Of Cookware Cooking Pot At Micostar Mall

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.