Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,656 members, 7,809,482 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control (15842 Views)

Mysterious Ways Of God! / It's Biblical To Reject Drugs When You're Sick / Rilwayne 001 I Say You Better BELIEVE The Ways Of Annunaki And His Followers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by iliyande(m): 12:37am On Mar 20, 2016
A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls. Proverbs 25:28 (NLT)

Why does God want us to demonstrate self-control?

The reason God wants us to grow in self-control ties in with all the other fruit of the Spirit that are listed in Galatians 5:22-23.

People with self-control master their moods.

They do not let their moods master them. Most of what gets done in the world is accomplished by people who do the right thing even when they don't feel like it: "A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls." (Proverbs 25:28, NLT)

People with self-control watch their words.

They put their minds in gear before opening their mouths: "Be careful what you say and protect your life. A careless talker destroys himself." (Proverbs 13:3, TEV)

People with self-control restrain their reactions.

How much can you take before you lose your cool? "If you are sensible, you will control your temper. When someone wrongs you, it is a great virtue to ignore it." (Proverbs 19:11, TEV)

People with self-control stick to their schedule.

If you don't determine how you will spend your time, then others will decide for you: "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16, NIV)

People with self-control manage their money.

They learn to live on less than what they make and they invest the difference. The value of a budget is that it tells your money where you want it to go rather than wondering where it went! "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has." (Proverbs 21:20, NIV)

People with self-control maintain their health.

That way they can accomplish more and enjoy their achievements: "Learn to appreciate and give dignity to your body ...." (1 Thessalonians 4:4, MSG)

Self-control self-examination questionnaire

Have I lost control to dangerous emotions or a damaging sin? How do I know?

Why do I have difficulties restraining myself from what I know isn’t good for me?

Do others describe me as calm and collected or erratic and uncontrolled? Why?

Is my first reaction to something a fruit of the Spirit or a loss of control? Why?

In what areas do you need to develop for self-control? The disciplines you establish today will determine your success tomorrow.

But it takes more than just willpower for lasting self-control. It takes a power greater than yourself: "For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control." (2 Timothy 1:7, TEV)

59 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Aremu01(m): 6:33am On Mar 20, 2016
May God help us

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by kamatofeelz(m): 12:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
God help me control ma self amen ADURE4EVA I SEE U
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by kamatofeelz(m): 12:32pm On Mar 20, 2016
God help me control ma self amen ADURE4EVA I SEE U
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by dapyd1(m): 12:33pm On Mar 20, 2016
Self control is one of the virtues youth of this generation need.
The urge to make it quick, at all cost and at the expense of others will be taken care of.

The vices of armed robbery, human rituals, rape, embezzlement of funds, wife beating, social media acceptability, will be cured with just a little self control and contentment.

10 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Jblaiseboy(m): 12:34pm On Mar 20, 2016
I can relate,but we don't have the power to control our minds
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by jamex93(m): 12:34pm On Mar 20, 2016
Self control no b beans o

Tank God for my life

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by falcon2020(m): 12:34pm On Mar 20, 2016
Truly inspirational
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by KOLZY(m): 12:38pm On Mar 20, 2016
'
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by nnamdismart: 12:39pm On Mar 20, 2016
True talk. By the way making front page, this gonna be great.
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Ndifreke12(m): 12:45pm On Mar 20, 2016
Self discipline
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Remyboyhefty(m): 12:48pm On Mar 20, 2016
grin lady f come and repent ooo
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by benikad(m): 12:48pm On Mar 20, 2016
Nice one
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by plucky16(m): 12:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
Self control is one of the difficult things to do.... u find urself doing what u vow not to do again.
But I think with prayer one can overcome

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by winj: 12:52pm On Mar 20, 2016
you can develop Self-control without bible, religion or a god.

any adult who needs to be brainwashed by religion into adopting biblical Self-control is a m0r0n
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by lepasharon(f): 12:55pm On Mar 20, 2016

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Sfvalentine(m): 12:56pm On Mar 20, 2016
I Am finding it difficult to control my self....especially when it comes to dat sex thing...i need help. cry
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by bingbagbo(m): 1:06pm On Mar 20, 2016
Sfvalentine:
I Am finding it difficult to control my self....especially when it comes to dat sex thing...i need help. cry

RReceive the holy spirit

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by OLUJOSHINS(m): 1:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
God is good

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by bright007(f): 1:11pm On Mar 20, 2016
self-control is very important these days when sexual perversion reigns supreme

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by bright007(f): 1:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
self-control is very important these days when sexual perversion reigns supreme

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by TrajansKong: 1:12pm On Mar 20, 2016
OLUJOSHINS:
God is good

So is Sara Jay.
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by OLUJOSHINS(m): 1:13pm On Mar 20, 2016
TrajansKong:

So is Sara Jay.
who is Sara Jay

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Babsopey(m): 1:30pm On Mar 20, 2016
winj:

any adult who needs to be brainwashed by religion into adopting biblical Self-control is a m0r0n

We know you are a very wise man, who can control himself without God because to you there is no God. But Sir, I think your wisdom by now should tell you to ignore post by people who believe there is God. You have right not to believe, so do those who believe in the Almighty God.

Next time, just pass a thread like this. Be good

BTW, May God of heaven bless you op. Self control cures most of the problems we have in Nigeria today.

5 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by xender(m): 1:33pm On Mar 20, 2016
so ona no won comment for this thread abi....

nice one OP.
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by Babsopey(m): 1:38pm On Mar 20, 2016
Sfvalentine:

My brother I fully understand your plight. But you recognising you need to control your self relating to sex is a victory in its self. It will take a lot of work from you to control yourself, because you will now have more chance to have sex than before since you've decided to change.

A conscious step will be to do away with anything or friends including gf that might tempt you again. And find a new hobby to replace that addiction with, because life hate vacuum, if u don't fill it, worst thing might enter. God bless you brother.

3 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by linusbnn(m): 1:59pm On Mar 20, 2016
kamatofeelz:
God help me control ma self amen
ADURE4EVA I SEE U

You no go leave my Adure4eva for me? Haba!!! grin
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by kcclink: 3:05pm On Mar 20, 2016
winj:

bcus you have no such as self control DAT is why you type this trash.

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by lekanojo01: 3:45pm On Mar 20, 2016
iliyande:
A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls. Proverbs 25:28 (NLT)

Why does God want us to demonstrate self-control?

The reason God wants us to grow in self-control ties in with all the other fruit of the Spirit that are listed in Galatians 5:22-23.

People with self-control master their moods.

They do not let their moods master them. Most of what gets done in the world is accomplished by people who do the right thing even when they don't feel like it: "A person without self-control is like a city with broken-down walls." (Proverbs 25:28, NLT)

People with self-control watch their words.

They put their minds in gear before opening their mouths: "Be careful what you say and protect your life. A careless talker destroys himself." (Proverbs 13:3, TEV)

People with self-control restrain their reactions.

How much can you take before you lose your cool? "If you are sensible, you will control your temper. When someone wrongs you, it is a great virtue to ignore it." (Proverbs 19:11, TEV)

People with self-control stick to their schedule.

If you don't determine how you will spend your time, then others will decide for you: "Be very careful, then, how you live--not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." (Ephesians 5:15-16, NIV)

People with self-control manage their money.

They learn to live on less than what they make and they invest the difference. The value of a budget is that it tells your money where you want it to go rather than wondering where it went! "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish man devours all he has." (Proverbs 21:20, NIV)

People with self-control maintain their health.

That way they can accomplish more and enjoy their achievements: "Learn to appreciate and give dignity to your body ...." (1 Thessalonians 4:4, MSG)

Self-control self-examination questionnaire

Have I lost control to dangerous emotions or a damaging sin? How do I know?

Why do I have difficulties restraining myself from what I know isn’t good for me?

Do others describe me as calm and collected or erratic and uncontrolled? Why?

Is my first reaction to something a fruit of the Spirit or a loss of control? Why?

In what areas do you need to develop for self-control? The disciplines you establish today will determine your success tomorrow.

But it takes more than just willpower for lasting self-control. It takes a power greater than yourself: "For the Spirit that God has given us does not make us timid; instead, his Spirit fills us with power, love, and self-control." (2 Timothy 1:7, TEV)

I really pray for this spirit of self control for myself cos I need it towards my wife and my colleagues at work. [color=#000099][/color]

1 Like

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by lekanojo01: 3:49pm On Mar 20, 2016
I really pray for this self control towards my wife and my colleagues at work. So help me God. Amen!!!!!!
Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by PrinceAfo911(m): 3:58pm On Mar 20, 2016
Thanks for sharing,I have learnt a more.

2 Likes

Re: Biblical Ways Of Developing Self-control by kamatofeelz(m): 4:07pm On Mar 20, 2016
linusbnn:

You no go leave my Adure4eva for me? Haba!!! grin
I will sir I'm sorry sir

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Joseph Ifeanyichukwu Ezeking In Kenyan Court For Preaching Without Permit / Happy Birthday Peace Ibiyeomie / Prophet SEER 1 Claims He "Resurrected Dead Young Man" In South Africa. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.