Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,433 members, 7,819,557 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Really??? Here Are Some Popular Football Stars Arsene Wenger Tried To Sign - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Really??? Here Are Some Popular Football Stars Arsene Wenger Tried To Sign (516 Views)

Rodrigo Tried To Finger Santiago Trellez' Backside During Match (Photos) / American Football Stars Drop To Their Knees During National Anthem To Defy Trump / Ten Amazing And Young Nigerian Football Stars Doing Quite Well Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Really??? Here Are Some Popular Football Stars Arsene Wenger Tried To Sign by willo4eva(m): 10:33am On Mar 20, 2016
Arsene Wenger signed the likes of Thierry Henry, Robert Pires and Patrick Vieira for Arsenal, but according to Goal.com, he regrets missing out on a number of football's biggest stars in no particular order. .

1. ANGEL DI MARIA | Wenger: "We had identified Di Maria when he was 17. We wanted him to come here but he goes to Portugal and from Portugal he goes to Spain. Why? Because he could not get a work permit." . .

2. LIONEL MESSI | Wenger: "It's true, it's just that he [Messi] didn't want to move. In the end, he was comfortable at Barcelona." . .

3. CRISTIANO RONALDO | Wenger: "My biggest regret? I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo...that of course still hurts today." . .

4. PAUL POGBA | Wenger: "We were interested in him. We tried to get him to come here. But he very quickly signed for Juventus." . .

5. DIEGO COSTA | Wenger: "Yes [I wanted Costa], but that was a deal that was struck early." . .

6. EDEN HAZARD | Wenger: "Yes, I wanted to take him...the barrier was financial and Chelsea made an effort that I couldn't make." . .

7. ZLATAN IBRAHIMOVIC | Wenger: "He was 16. I asked him to have a little training session with the first team and he didn't want to do it." . .

8. GARETH BALE | Wenger: "We didn't take him as we had Ashley Cole and Gael Clichy...I must confess it was a huge mistake as he can play in midfield." . .

9. LUIS SUAREZ | Wenger: "Did he want to join us? I do not want to dwell any more on that situation - it was one of the transfers that did not work." . .

10. JUAN MATA | Wenger: "Mata is a similar type to Cazorla. I don't exactly remember how it worked chronologically but we were interested in Mata." . .

11. YAYA TOURE | Wenger: "It would be up at the top [of my regrets]. But let's not forget that Yaya Toure had an agreement with us...he went to Ukraine." . .

12. GERARD PIQUE | Wenger: "We wanted to take Fabregas, Messi and Pique. It worked only for Fabregas." . .

13. DIDIER DROGBA | Wenger: "I missed him when he played at Le Mans...I knew there was a good player there and I missed him." . .

14. CESC FABREGAS | Wenger: "Certainly, yes [Fabregas wanted to return]. But when he left we bought Mesut Ozil." . .

15. KINGSLEY COMAN | Wenger: "Yes we really tried to sign Kingsley Coman in the summer of 2014. The transfer was almost completed, but he preferred Juventus." . .

16. ROMELU LUKAKU | Wenger: "Yes [we looked at him] since he was young. He opted to go to Chelsea, he is developing every year."

----------

Source: http://www.kamalsbase.com/317/really-here-are-some-popular-popular-football-stars-arsenal-coach-arsene-wenger-claimed-to-nearly-sign

Join more interesting discussions on Naija's No.1 Post & Earn Social Forum => www.kamalsbase.com
Re: Really??? Here Are Some Popular Football Stars Arsene Wenger Tried To Sign by fistonati(m): 11:37am On Mar 20, 2016
I still can't find a goalkeeper to complete the list of out of hands Wenger. grin grin grin
Re: Really??? Here Are Some Popular Football Stars Arsene Wenger Tried To Sign by seankay(m): 1:23pm On Mar 20, 2016
fistonati:
I still can't find a goalkeeper to complete the list of out of hands Wenger. grin grin grin
Cech but he later got him

(1) (Reply)

Renewed Hope For Nigeria, Tanzania As Chad Rescinds Afcon Decision / Who Is The Best Punter/tipster On Sports Section / I Just Got This From 11am Games

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.