Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,072 members, 7,811,006 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:32 PM

National Library Or National Embarrassment By Mr Rights - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / National Library Or National Embarrassment By Mr Rights (514 Views)

Funke My Sexy Secretary By Mr.kiddah (episode 1-10) / Throwback: The British Council Library Ibadan In 1964 / Diaries Of Embarrassment (short Stories) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

National Library Or National Embarrassment By Mr Rights by mrrights: 2:48pm On Mar 21, 2016
NATIONAL LIBRARY OR NATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT? I don’t frequently go to libraries. As a matter of fact, I can actually count all the times I have ever been to a library as a student. However, since after my first degree, I have been more frequent in libraries for one research project or the other. Not quite long, precisely in September last year, a project that virtually turned me to a library rat showed up. The project actually made me become a regular customer to a particular library in Ibadan and till now, I am yet to round up the project. Let me share my experience with some libraries in Nigeria. Sometimes last year, as part of my special project, I have need for certain information. The information I want to access seems to be scarce and the only place I can get them is in old newspapers of the 80’s and 90’s. Knowing this is the case, my next source of worry is where to get old newspapers. After asking close to 20 different people about where I could get old newspapers,the most prominent answer I got was the National Library. Out of the 20 people I asked, about 12 of them mentioned National Library without thinking twice. They are very certain that all the information I need is there. So, from Abuja, straight to the National Library in Lagos, my research adventure promptly commenced with so much excitement. This is the very first time I would be going to the much talked about Nigeria’s National Library and I can’t wait to be there. I feel more like a pregnant woman, who is longing for 9 months to come in Ernest so she can set her eyes on her pregnancy turned human. Soon, Lagos Welcome me, as I make my way to the library. Upon getting to the National Library, accompanied by a wonderful friend, David Ademilua, I wasn’t impressed with the outlook. In fact, I see the rough and not too attractive environment as a pieced off. It’s a very old building with not too attractive surrounding, shaky structure, fade painting and some flowers. But determined to face my business, I went straight inside to register my presence. Getting In, a very calm and welcoming staff attended to me, her name is Mrs Ngozi. I must confess, this woman is such a dedicated personnel with unique customer relation skills. She tried as much as possible to assist me, but what can she do if the materials are not available? After showing her the materials I need, she informed me that the Library doesn’t have those materials any longer. According to her, they used to have them, but the place the materials are stored collapsed years ago and ever since, it was never rebuilt nor the materials made available again. Upon hearing this, I said to myself, even by looking at the dilapidated library building, one needs no soothsayer to know the Library needs renovation, but who would do it, when all government do is steal money? It is safe to conclude that, that thing we call National Library is nothing, but

continue reading
http://mrrights.com.ng/?p=686

(1) (Reply)

God's Creativity By Akande David / I Listened To The Voices In My Head - HORROR / Aspiring Authors Summit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.