Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,502 members, 7,816,195 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals (1435 Views)

'Major Dagger' Drilling Students At The Nigerian Army Depot / The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid? / Why Are There No Female Generals In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by Lenny5k: 10:30pm On Mar 22, 2016
This is a beautiful story of two Nigerian Military Generals that you are going to enjoy reading. According to www.punchng.com who filed this report, Brig.-Gen. Clifford Wanda and Brig.-Gen. Cecelia Akagu are arguably the only couple to become generals in the Nigerian Army.

When and how did you join the Nigerian Army?

Wanda: I started my military career as a Boy Soldier in the Nigerian Military School in 1974. That was my entrance into the army. After graduating from the military school, I proceeded to the university where I read medicine. After graduation, I was then commissioned into the Nigerian Army in 1986 as a Lieutenant medical doctor.

Akagu: I didn’t know much about the army until 1984 when I went to Makurdi, Benue State. I went out with my uncle and I saw some people running. I asked my uncle what they were doing and he said ‘they are people who want to join the military.’ I picked what my uncle said and went away. During the next intake, I went there. I had a friend called Stella, a Calabar lady. She came to me and said ‘Cecelia, how do you feel being called retired Colonel Cecelia?’ That was how we went for the form and I went for the recruitment (exercise). During the recruitment, they were not too sure of my name. I used to be very skinny and slim but when they assessed me, they knew that I was fit for the job. When they were doing the selection, they picked a lady and said, if she was not picked (shortlisted), I would be the second person to be picked. When I got to the camp, they asked if I was Monica, I said no. They said, ‘Thank God. We didn’t want to make a mistake. We wanted you to be among the girls to be picked.’ That was how I started the journey.

Of all the professions available to you, why did you choose to become a military officer?

Wanda: I have always loved the army because I first came in contact with the army through my foster dad who was a soldier; I lived with him and grew up with him. That was the beginning of my love for the army. Again, I went to a primary school that was in the barracks – a military primary school in Enugu. From my father and having lived in the barracks for long, I took up the interest. In fact, I was so much in love with the military that before I took my First School Leaving Certificate, I insisted that I must go to military school. I was not going to take any examination other than a military school examination, which I did and passed. I proceeded to military school in 1974. It would interest you to know that when he (foster father) bought the forms from the military school, I was so small then that they refused to give him the forms. They requested that if I was interested in the army, I should raise up my hand. I raised my hand but they said I was too small. But when there was no other person to take the forms, they gave it to me, which I filled. I took the examination that year and I made it to the military school. Such was the love I have for the army.

How did your parents and those around you feel when you insisted on following your military passion?

Wanda: My foster dad, who I grew up with was already in the army. He loved it and even though my siblings didn’t want me to go to military school and join the army, that was what I loved they were saying, ‘you can die, you can be injured.’ For me, it was like an adventure. It was something I loved. I grew up in the barracks, I saw the way soldiers did their things – the military gear, the discipline, and everything associated with the military. I could not be discouraged.

Continue with more Pics .. http://.com/2016/03/22/nigerian-army-couple-who-are-both-generals/

1 Share

Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by collinsz: 10:40pm On Mar 22, 2016
Na waaoooo
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by DONADAMS(m): 10:43pm On Mar 22, 2016
seriously very nice to say the least,, FP material...

cc: lala
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by MrcuteOscar: 10:44pm On Mar 22, 2016
Family of General's
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by BLINGZ88: 10:46pm On Mar 22, 2016
D kind money Wey dis people go get, no dey here....reward for ur hardwork 100% supported
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by jen4r: 10:49pm On Mar 22, 2016
love is good .....
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by XOGBADO(m): 11:10pm On Mar 22, 2016
Wow! I love the millitary!!
Re: Photos: Nigerian Army Couple Who Are Both Generals by Ratello: 11:14pm On Mar 22, 2016
This is so lovely. I love this.

(1) (Reply)

What Are The Top IT Skills In Demand In Nigeria. / Who Is D Highest Paid In Government Agencies / Veterinary Doctors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.