Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi? (1389 Views)

Do People In Igboland Still Use Nsibidi? / Nsibidi Is Not Igbo / How Does Booty Pop Cream Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi? by TobiBabiOO(f): 12:58am On Mar 23, 2016
Also, do you guys think this should be taught in schools?

I feel as though as Nigerians we are losing what's left of our culture due to westernization. It makes me happy to learn and discover alot of these old cultural aspects many tribes had and It would be nice if the Nigerian Government would implement more ancient culture in schools and the society overall. I'm sure this is easier said than done but what do you guys think? smiley
Re: How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi? by ChinenyeN(m): 4:34am On Mar 23, 2016
I see multiple questions in this thread, so I'll provide my opinion for each one...

Q1. How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi?
Ans: You don't. Nsibidi is not taught anywhere, except for within any surviving leopard clubs. Even so, knowledge of precolonial Nsibidi has likely deteriorated so much, even within these clubs, that there is practically nothing left to teach (i.e. Nsibidi is, for all intents and purposes, dead)

Q2. Do you guys think this should be taught in schools?
Ans: As an extracurricular or an elective course, maybe. However, to begin with, general knowledge of Nsibidi itself is basically at the level of a faint memory. Beyond that, the system itself never developed enough to be useful to us in this modern day. I do not see any sense in teaching it as a core subject.

Q3. What do you think about the gov't implementing culture studies in schools?
Ans: I simply do not believe that the Nigerian government is up to the task. Would it be nice? Sure. Ultimately, it seems impossible. For now, the various cultures will have to bear separately their responsibility of implementing their own culture studies within their socio-cultural organizations (and I'm inclined to believe that all Nigerian cultures have at least one socio-cultural organization).

1 Like

Re: How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi? by TobiBabiOO(f): 7:05pm On Mar 29, 2016
Good answer!
ChinenyeN:
I see multiple questions in this thread, so I'll provide my opinion for each one...

Q1. How Does One Go About Learning Nsibidi?
Ans: You don't. Nsibidi is not taught anywhere, except for within any surviving leopard clubs. Even so, knowledge of precolonial Nsibidi has likely deteriorated so much, even within these clubs, that there is practically nothing left to teach (i.e. Nsibidi is, for all intents and purposes, dead)

Q2. Do you guys think this should be taught in schools?
Ans: As an extracurricular or an elective course, maybe. However, to begin with, general knowledge of Nsibidi itself is basically at the level of a faint memory. Beyond that, the system itself never developed enough to be useful to us in this modern day. I do not see any sense in teaching it as a core subject.

Q3. What do you think about the gov't implementing culture studies in schools?
Ans: I simply do not believe that the Nigerian government is up to the task. Would it be nice? Sure. Ultimately, it seems impossible. For now, the various cultures will have to bear separately their responsibility of implementing their own culture studies within their socio-cultural organizations (and I'm inclined to believe that all Nigerian cultures have at least one socio-cultural organization).

(1) (Reply)

Osun Osogbo Festival 2016; A Call For Realistic Re-orientation / Re: Origin Of Delta Igbo Indisputable - Uwuechue / Nigerians From West Africa?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.