Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors (6470 Views)

FGN Savings Bond / Federal Government To Sell N5,000 Savings Bond To Public / Investors Stranded As MMM Reopens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by hmuhammad(m): 6:09am On Mar 24, 2016

Nigerian bond yields spiked across the curve on Wednesday after the central bank unexpectedly tightened monetary policy in an about-turn to curb inflation and attract foreign investors.

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) yesterday raised its benchmark rate to 12 per cent from 11 percent, having cut rates only four months ago by 2 percentage points, and lifted the cash reserve ratio for commercial banks to 22.5 per cent from 20 per cent.

Yields on the benchmark 20-year bond rose 55 basis points (bps) to 12.7 per cent while the 10-year yield climbed 45 bps to 12.65 per cent. The yield on five-year paper, the most liquid maturity, gained 41 bps to 11.7 per cent.

“The MPC has signalled a tightening and rates have gone up. Lenders can place their funds with the central bank at 7 percent so why buy treasury bills at lower yields?” one trader said.

CBN governor Godwin Emefiele, said extra liquidity had not translated into more lending and cited inflation, at a 3-1/2-year high of 11.4 percent last month, and well above the central bank target of 6 per cent to 9 per cent.

Nigeria is going through its worst economic crisis for years due to a slump in crude prices which has weakened its naira currency and slashed government revenue. Oil exports account for about 70 per cent of national income.

Banks were quoting 10 per cent on the interbank overnight lending market, a jump from yesterday’s 4.8 per cent before the central bank rate decision.

There were no deals on Wednesday.

The stock market, which has the second-biggest weighting after Kuwait on the MSCI frontier market index, bucked two day of gains to shed 1.19 per cent, as domestic funds switch to bonds, traders said.

Traders estimated the new cash reserve requirement will soak up between 350 billion and 400 billion naira. The central bank is also selling N114.97 billion in treasury bills to further drain liquidity.

The central bank vowed to keep the exchange rate stable despite sharp falls on the black market – some 40 percent below the official rate – due to a shortage of dollars.

“Part of the central bank’s intention in the rate hike is to attract foreign portfolio flow (FPI). However, I do not think this will be achieved because the forex policy is unchanged. Until this happens, we will see very little FPIs,” Vetiva Capital’s head of research, Pabina Yinkere, said.

http://leadership.ng/business/511840/nigerian-bond-yields-rise-rate-hike-aimed-luring-investors
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Gratia(f): 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
Ok.

Just Negodu!

The summary and meaning bikonu!
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Sunnycliff(m): 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
All these economic rise and falls eeh, can't we attain an economic equilibrium?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by GudluckIBB(m): 12:28pm On Mar 24, 2016
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by looseweight: 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
Ok

God help our economy. This hardship is getting Unbearable.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Nobody: 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2016
I don't understand this big Grammar

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by makingsense(m): 12:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
I blame buhari
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by georjay(m): 12:32pm On Mar 24, 2016
click like if you didn't understand the economic jargons
click share if you claim to understand buh deep down your heart...you don't understand shit

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by opeoluwa20(m): 12:32pm On Mar 24, 2016
Use ur dico
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Respect55(m): 12:34pm On Mar 24, 2016
Story story

Till I see the positive effect here, all na scam
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Seequadry(m): 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
Another grammer....
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by APCcrimes: 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
APC and lies, just like: buhari and cows;

tunubu and mouth odour;

fashola and bill increase

aregbesola and debt

ameachi and thuggery

They are just inseparable... grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by jesse515: 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
PMB the olodo of daura.

Sumtyms I tink our CBN shud be scrapped n replace wit Osusu banking.

Non the less, Nigeria will be great

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Agimor(m): 12:35pm On Mar 24, 2016
We getting there gradually.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by jef131: 12:36pm On Mar 24, 2016
Just passing by
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by PassingShot(m): 12:41pm On Mar 24, 2016
The number of comments here and the direction of the comments are a pointer to the quality of our youths who call themselves leaders of tomorrow. Lazy dolts everywhere you go.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by ionsman: 12:43pm On Mar 24, 2016
Smh......@ posters above, how will you understand?

If it had anything to do with Buhari, you would have understood.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by narrowpathy(m): 12:46pm On Mar 24, 2016
make i book space before i enter 2nd page
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by repogirl(f): 12:51pm On Mar 24, 2016
Take note of the last two sentences.

As far as the forex policies remain unchanged, all this will not work.
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Kayendy(m): 12:54pm On Mar 24, 2016
Any economist in d ouse pls explain
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by mrofficial(m): 1:00pm On Mar 24, 2016
After all this grammar, is dollar back to 165?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Viktor1983(m): 1:06pm On Mar 24, 2016
All Join...
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by slimfit1(m): 1:10pm On Mar 24, 2016
jesse515:
PMB the olodo of daura.

Sumtyms I tink our CBN shud be scrapped n replace wit Osusu banking.

Non the less, Nigeria will be great

You don't have to be a jenious to be a leader , all you need is good judgement of characters around you and know what is going to favour your people and have the Selfless attitude towards leadership Buhari has that Jonathan doesn't call him what ever you want he is a brilliant man in his own way.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by irumanle(m): 1:12pm On Mar 24, 2016
tobimillar:
I don't understand this big Grammar
same here
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by confirmerg(m): 1:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
This bond is btn d investor,contractor,insurance and d bank. Esp in bid bond or counter performance bond and APG
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by stelaar(m): 1:49pm On Mar 24, 2016
Foreign investor X comes with $1000 to invest at a rate of 12%

X makes $120

Total (120 + 1000) = 1120 @ 199 to a dollar making N222,880

Here's the interesting part.

X wants His money back in dollars and CBN won't trade.

Parallel market rate @ 325 gives you $685.7 (222,880 / 325)

Has X made a wise investment as a foreign investor? You bring in 1000 and go back with 685

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by demzey(m): 4:03pm On Mar 24, 2016
Sunnycliff:
All these economic rise and falls eeh, can't we attain an economic equilibrium?
Not possible, no country can ever be at equilibrium. When tried with the laissez faire policy, led to the great depression. Even the forces of supply n demand inhibits fluctuations
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Stycon(m): 6:48pm On Mar 24, 2016
I thought as much.

However, I hope this hiked interest rate won't affect the level of domestic investment adversely as they both have adverse relationship. I also hope that this will attract enough capital inflow to improve our alarming balance of payment deficit! as well as stop our foreign reserve depletion and lessen the present pressure on naira!
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by jesse515: 9:30pm On Mar 24, 2016
slimfit1:

You don't have to be a jenious to be a leader , all you need is good judgement of characters around you and know what is going to favour your people and have the Selfless attitude towards leadership Buhari has that Jonathan doesn't call him what ever you want he is a brilliant man in his own way.

Hehehehehe, wetin concern me concern GEJ? All I knw is dat ur PMB is olodo. D man na mumu
Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by walexy14(m): 9:40pm On Mar 24, 2016
This rate hike won't still attract FPI , if a dollar is still at 300 or so @Parallel Market

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bond Yields Rise After Rate Hike Aimed At Luring Investors by Olamilekan08(m): 10:08pm On Mar 24, 2016
georjay:
click like if you didn't understand the economic jargons
click share if you claim to understand buh deep down your heart...you don't understand shit

None of the above.
I got the message clearly.

Make I explain?

All that is being said is that money is too much flowing in the economy which is giving people the liberty to buy dollar in an alarming rate for various reasons legitimate or not. Therefore, those money will be withdrawn through some instruments such as mentioned I.e. the treasury bill and bond. What is been done is to sell those things to the public or investors to buy at more profitable rate (that is the figures you see there) so more people will be enticed to buy, making the monies unavailable for public spending but with the CBN. Though the CBN have to payback which will be in the years mentioned or when CBN decides we no longer have enough money to spend.

So now, it is expected that the price of dollar should go down since people won't have much money to run after dollar as before.

My learned opinion is that this will only reduced this problem a bit as the problem at hand is not about people having too much money to import (or otherwise) but the need to import itself, further made worse by the absence of enough export. And this I believe is known to everyone. A little fall in exchange rate is however appreciated at this critical time.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Insurance Sector Shares: Analysis Wanted (AIICO, NEM, Allie, Custodian) / Can I Complete A 10 Bedroom Self Contained With 7.5 Million? / Making Cool Money Through Land Banking

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.