Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,363 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed (1153 Views)

Sultan Tells Senate To Reject Gender Equality Bill / 6 Reasons Gender Equality is beneficial To Nigerian MEN And Society At Large / Photos: Quick Tips On What People Call "Gender Equality" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed by TheProphetess(f): 1:36pm On Mar 24, 2016
Now firstly before anyone accuses me of being a feminist, I am not. I am simply an egalitarian. I feel the label feminist is biased towards the female gender and doesn't consider the plight of men.

I'm writing this because I've noticed a lot of sexist sentiments on this website from both men and women. And a lot of people in this country think we do not need gender equality for religious/cultural reasons. I'm here to clear up most misconceptions about gender equality.

1. Gender equality is not just to benefit women.
This is the biggest misconception. People especially Africans believe that the idea of gender equality is to benefit only women. This is not true. The idea of gender equality looks to even out the playing field between men and women. No gender should have more societal benefits than the other. In the bible, God created all men equal. All creation are equal in his sight. No where does it say that women are lesser creatures in the bible. If that were the case, God wouldn't have used so many females for his purposes. i.e. Queen Esther, prophetess Deborah, Ruth, Mary mother of Jesus, Mary Magdalene etc.

If there is gender equality, all cases of rape will be treated equally. When a man is a victim of rape people will laugh at him and not take him seriously. If a woman is accused of rape people will blame her, call her a liar and even in extreme cases she is punished for being raped (in Saudi Arabia). When there is equality this won't happen. Both male and female rape accusations are taken very seriously. Same goes for domestic violence. On the issue of leave, men can also be allowed to take paternity leaves. And in the issue of who provides for the family and who cooks and cleans, both parents share the responsibility equally. It's not just the mother that will cook and clean and it's not just a man that will earn money especially not in this harsh economic climate where a family can not feed on one income alone.
Also the idea of women taking all the money in a divorce settlement won't be allowed in an equal society.

2. Equal opportunity does not mean equal outcome
This is a misconception especially in the camp of women. Women that think that it is because of a sexist society we don't have a female president or many females in science/technology/engineering fields. This is simply not true. Granted in some soceities women are not given certain opportunities but in the ones that do have equal opportunities, most women aren't very interested in the post of president or aren't interested in scientific professions. That is not any mans fault.

3. Gender equality is not an enemy of our African culture.
If you truly know what gender equality is you wouldn't think it goes against African culture. It is something we should accept. Culture evolves. We adapted our culture to allow Christianity and Islam we can do same for equality and tolerance (which are even tenets in our faiths)

Think of it this way, do you like it when people of other races think you are inferior by virtue of your skin colour, a genetic trait you have no control over? No. So why should anybody be considered inferior by virtue of their gender which is also a genetic trait you can not choose? If we could choose wouldn't we all choose to be men who in the past and in some societies today are still first class citizens? Why would anyone choose to be a woman? Is it fair to you? No it's not!
Racism and sexism are the same thing. Both can not be justified by anything. What if a white said according to the bible whites are Gods chosen people and blacks are useless because the religion originated where mostly whites/Mediterraneans were? Would you like it? Would you accept that God favours whites/Asians more than blacks?
No.

Let us all live in peace amongst each other. No one should be a second class citizen because of their race, gender, tribe or religion.

Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed by TheProphetess(f): 12:29pm On Mar 25, 2016
Bump

Feel free to add your own opinions.

Seriously, no other opinions? undecided
Sha it's not by force
Re: Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed by fearlesschicken: 3:31pm On Apr 04, 2016
Hi

Nice article. But I refuse to agree on your supposed opinion that the the term feminist is biased and meant only for the female gender.

That's what people don't get, feminism isn't just about the female gender but both genders.

Creating equality for the both genders, destroying any sort of stereotype for both the males and females.

The fact that it has the term "fem" doesn't mean it's for females alone.

3 Likes

Re: Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed by TheProphetess(f): 3:39pm On Apr 04, 2016
fearlesschicken:
Hi

Nice article. But I refuse to agree on your supposed opinion that the the term feminist is biased and meant only for the female gender.

That's what people don't get, feminism isn't just about the female gender but both genders.

Creating equality for the both genders, destroying any sort of stereotype for both the males and females.

The fact that it has the term "fem" doesn't mean it's for females alone.

Hello thanks for commenting grin

The thing is, I have trouble identifying as a feminist because of the bad name the radical third wave feminists have given it. Generally that is what it's supposed to mean but due to the main ideology of most prominent feminists it's come to mean 'man hating misandrist' in popular culture.

Still I think one can use any label they wish just so long as they're agree with gender equality.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality In Africa And Why It Is Needed by aparazi: 10:57am On Jul 23, 2016
Gender equality has seriously improved in Africa recently.

(1) (Reply)

Appellations for The Oba Of Benin / The Only People Who Can Wear Igbo Red Cap With Eagle Feathers- Odimegwu Onwumer / You Grew Up In Naija Hoodies If You Remember This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.