Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,019 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:49 AM

Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) (12612 Views)

Decomposing Body Recovered From Abuja Collapsed Building - Photo / Police Teargas Protesters At Collapsed Building Site In Abuja / NYSC Member : "Ngozi Oformezie Is Dead" - Owerri Collapsed Building Victim (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by ijustdey: 7:31am On Mar 25, 2016
Samuel Awoyinfa, Abeokuta

Tragedy struck on Thursday in Onifufu/Aderupagba Compound, in the Oke-Ijeun area of Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, after a dilapidated mud building collapsed, killing a pregnant woman and her daughter.

The woman, who was  said to be three-month pregnant, was identified as Kafayat Somoye.

She was reportedly taking her children, Ganiyat and Ganiyu, to school when the wall of the building collapsed on them as they were passing by.

Residents told our correspondent that the wall, which was weakened by  a downpour on Wednesday, collapsed, adding that Ganiyu escaped, but the mother and  five-year-old Ganiyat were trapped under the rubble.

Our correspondent gathered that late Somoye was initially rescued alive gasping for breath, but later died while being rushed to the General Hospital in Ijaiye.

When our correspondent visited the scene, the corpses of  Somoye and Ganiyat were seen on the ground.

Policemen from the Oke Itoku and Ibara divisions prevented some youths in the area from burning down what was left of the dilapidated building.

An eyewitness, Mrs. Kabirat Sonde, claimed to have escaped death by the whiskers as she was also taking her daughter to school through the same route when the incident occurred.

She said, “I was also taking my child to school. I was behind them and a woman was at the front. The woman was the person that raised the alarm immediately the incident happened.

“The mother (Somoye) was rescued alive, but as she was being rushed to the hospital, she gave up. People did not know immediately that there was a girl trapped under the rubble, it was the same woman in my front that alerted everybody to that fact.”

Another eyewitness, who identified himself as Tajudeen Badru, said, “It happened this morning as the woman was taking her children to school.  The older brother was faster, but the woman tried to save the younger one when they were trapped.”

The police were about taking the corpses to the morgue of the general hospital, when the family members of the deceased showed up.

The corpses were released to their relatives.

http://www.punchng.com/collapsed-building-kills-pregnant-woman-daughter/

Pic: Scene of the collapse

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by powerfulsettingz: 7:33am On Mar 25, 2016
Some one should tell me why wont I blame the government for this?
Only in Nigeria u will find a building over 100yrs aged still existing.......

3 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by popesam1(m): 7:34am On Mar 25, 2016
rip to the dead. ki olorun tewon si afefe rere
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Goldencollins: 7:38am On Mar 25, 2016
Buhari is a dullard from Daura,Amaechi is a lizard of Ubima,Osinbande is a Midget from Ogun state.
The Zombies are free to quote me.

4 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by boboLIL(m): 7:43am On Mar 25, 2016
Nawa ooo,,, dem de fly follow dem strongly....

Always pray before you. Step outta ur house.. It helps...

Rip to the dead

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by manutdadex(m): 7:44am On Mar 25, 2016
A mud house.... D rate at which people dies in dis country especially under PMB, not blaming him but e be like say badluck na him last name

8 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 25, 2016
only God can save us from all these building collapse..

We will not die untimely.. Insha Allah,IJN... Amin, Amen

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 25, 2016
So sad. RIP
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by menix(m): 8:46am On Mar 25, 2016
Hmmmm..

O boyy this village drone wey dey follow this woman strong kan..

It's a pity Nigerians know nothing about 1st Aid else that woman would live..

3 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 25, 2016
So is the Commisioner of Works resigning?

Thought not. smiley

Are we going to talk about Standards, techncial education, good building materials?

No

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 25, 2016
this is saddening...
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 25, 2016
Goldencollins:
I like turtles and Chinese women

Fixed.
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by onihaxy: 10:21am On Mar 25, 2016
eeyahh
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by wuruolajumoke: 10:22am On Mar 25, 2016
Kai, this matter sad die. 3 pple just lost their lives. Rip
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by gretblue: 10:22am On Mar 25, 2016
Goldencollins:
Buhari is a dullard from Daura,Amaechi is a lizard of Ubima,Osinbande is a Midget from Ogun state.
Buhariphobia spotted.

3 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by 4nobody4every1: 10:24am On Mar 25, 2016
angry sad
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by falcon2020(m): 10:27am On Mar 25, 2016
Poverty ERA

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by layzie: 10:29am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
Thought not. smiley
Are we going to talk about Standards, techncial education, good building materials?
No

Commissioner for works should resign cos a dilapidated mud house gave way? Wat's the relationship between works commissioner and a mud house? Just asking

@topic:
Very bizarre.
From the pix, how could this mud house kill a grown passer by.
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by scholes0(m): 10:30am On Mar 25, 2016
powerfulsettingz:

You say what?

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 10:30am On Mar 25, 2016
layzie:

Commissioner for works should resign cos a dilapidated mud house gave way? Wat's the relationship between works commissioner and a mud house? Just asking

Well...he is responsible for building standards....of all buildings.

Thing is in Nigeria....we have people who do not do their work so people suffer.
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by tuna4servi(m): 10:33am On Mar 25, 2016
Rest in peace to d death
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by MrMcJay(m): 10:39am On Mar 25, 2016
Goldencollins:

Ipod yoot, posts like this increase the number of koboko which Kanu is eating in prison. Don't add to his suffering.

5 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by huntax(m): 10:41am On Mar 25, 2016
menix:
Hmmmm..

O boyy this village drone wey dey follow this woman strong kan..

It's a pity Nigerians know nothing about 1st Aid else that woman would live..
These first aid treatments and CPR should be made compulsory subjects in secondary schools and even universities. We tend to overlook the little things in this country.

2 Likes

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by meshacha1: 10:54am On Mar 25, 2016
Nah collapse of building dey reign now abi?
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by layla129(f): 10:56am On Mar 25, 2016
powerfulsettingz:
Is that an excuse? And who told u this building is upto 100years? Go to developed countries, You'll see older buildings and you won't even know.
Most of our buildings are constructed with inferior materials and we lack maintenance culture

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by layzie: 11:00am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Well...he is responsible for building standards....of all buildings.
Thing is in Nigeria....we have people who do not do their work so people suffer.

House should be under lands, housing and urban devt ministry.

The area in the pix looks like a poor neighbourhood, the people living there obviously can't afford better housing. Now with dwindling resources faced by most States, can that ministry afford to develop strong affordable housing units to relocate residents of this neighbourhood? Even if they do, can these residents afford it?

I think the main issue here is the level of poverty in the land.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by sunnyuche1(m): 11:07am On Mar 25, 2016
everyday mourning. God please Save us at this time. cry
Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 11:09am On Mar 25, 2016
powerfulsettingz:

There are houses of over 400 yrs old in Europe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 11:10am On Mar 25, 2016
Goldencollins:

Are you okay?

What's the relevance of all you mentioned to the topic?

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 11:11am On Mar 25, 2016
huntax:

These first aid treatments and CPR should be made compulsory subjects in secondary schools and even universities. We tend to overlook the little things in this country.

They don't have to be subjects.

They're already topics under Biology or Health Science or Integrated Science.

Whether they teach it well is another thing.

1 Like

Re: Collapsed Building Kills Pregnant Woman, Daughter (pic) by Nobody: 11:13am On Mar 25, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Thought not. smiley

No

Commissioner for Works? shocked na him build am?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things You Need To Know Before Building: / Landlord Tests Lagos Tenancy Law, Ejects 18 Tenants / More Designs, See For Yourselves.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.