Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,395 members, 7,815,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? (6726 Views)

4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience / How To Write A Good CV Without Any Work Experience / How To Write CV If You Have No Work Experience - EDUREGARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by Nobody: 8:53am On Mar 25, 2016
Please Help a Friend, What do you think guys?
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by cardoso1111: 8:57am On Mar 25, 2016
Yes.I was Farm Manager and it was s plus when o was applying for job
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by TeddyPendergrass(m): 9:00am On Mar 25, 2016
danieloy4:

the answer to that question is an emphatic YES!

I am a corper and am serving in a recruitment firm, even though I don't have so much experience about CV and what nots it almost a dead on arrival scenerio if you send out a cv with no work experience on it.

so yes please ass your nysc service responsibilities as work experience on your CV.

you might include tangible college projects too but make them significant

2 Likes

Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by Nobody: 9:58am On Mar 25, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:

I am a corper and am serving in a recruitment firm, even though I don't have so much experience about CV and what nots it almost a dead on arrival scenerio if you send out a cv with no work experience on it.

so yes please ass your nysc service responsibilities as work experience on your CV.

Good day sir, I am also a serving corps member, serving in Ekiti state. I see that u may have a little experience with writing and organizing a catchy CV. Pls sir, i ll like u to go tru my CV n c if dia z need for reorganization. Pls u can pm me ur email address so i can send u a copy. Thank you sir
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by oglalasioux(m): 12:46pm On Mar 25, 2016
As a youth corps member you should know your one year national service is your year one working experience. They tell you that in camp.

2 Likes

Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by saxwizard(m): 9:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
of course ...i count it as a plus
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by saxwizard(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:

wat abt an engineer posted tto a school...how will dat mak much significance to CV?
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by TeddyPendergrass(m): 10:28am On Mar 26, 2016
saxwizard:

wat abt an engineer posted tto a school...how will dat mak much significance to CV?

so what do you mean?

teaching in a school is not significant enough to go on your CV as experience?

my mom used to have a shop where she sold stuff and I use to go there after school to help. that shop has now grown to become one of the biggest P&G warehouses in Nigeria.

that experience on my cv alone got me my first job even though I ended up quitting a few months later.

point is no matter how small or insignificant you think some experience you have is, make it significant.

2 Likes

Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by Mustay(m): 12:02pm On Mar 26, 2016
The question is 'what is work experience' The experience you get when you are employed or working at an organisation irrespective of the timeline.

Your NYSC experience is that you acquire at your PPA during service year. Truth is, never discard this no matter how irrelevant you think it is. In fact, some employers even have interests in what you did as a volunteer during service etc than your work experience. Let your CV define the most part of you as a person.

That is a reason why it's impossible to get the perfect CV, though this is no excuse to draft a poorly organised CV.

Unfortunately, due to the anomalies we have in Nigeria, you see some employers specifically requesting for 'xyz years post-NYSC experience'. However, this does not make it right. This is why the NYSC should ensure that as much as possible, people are posted to PPAs that synchronize with their qualifications.

In conclusion, please include your NYSC experience in your CV. It's not a must to even put NYSC in bracket - let the interviewer express his or her curiosity. Some people (are ashamed of the NYSC experience and then) remove it from their CV 3 to 5 years later. Whatever the case, wherever you gained your experience from, make sure it has taught you well enough to defend it, even if it's IT (Industrial Training).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by Youthinfo234: 1:15pm On Mar 26, 2016
danieloy4:

Yes! Unless otherwise stated that they want Post NYSC work experience.
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by saxwizard(m): 4:56pm On Apr 01, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:

so what do you mean?

teaching in a school is not significant enough to go on your CV as experience?

my mom used to have a shop where she sold stuff and I use to go there after school to help. that shop has now grown to become one of the biggest P&G warehouses in Nigeria.

that experience on my cv alone got me my first job even though I ended up quitting a few months later.

point is no matter how small or insignificant you think some experience you have is, make it significant.

i only asked a question....and ur response did nt provide the ansa either
Re: Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? by TeddyPendergrass(m): 9:02pm On Apr 01, 2016
saxwizard:

i only asked a question....and ur response did nt provide the ansa either

Oga don't be slow. I already answered your question.

whatever your nysc service experience is, put it on your CV.

The End.

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Navy Site / Websites Of South Atlantic Petroleum, Sahara Energy, Peak Oil? (Recruiting) / Multipro Enterprises Limited (indomie) Graduate Job Vacancies In Nigeria Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.