Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,210 members, 7,825,789 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. (1418 Views)

Suprisingly Common Mispronounced Words And How To Pronounce Them Correctly / Words And Phrases That Are Annoying / Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by gudtime4us: 6:59pm On Jul 24, 2009
They sound really odd, but they are correct. I avoid them as much as I can:

- Its HIGH TIME,
It sounds odd that the following word has to be in past tense. E.g. Its high time we left the place. How odd!!

- DUNNIT. UHURU.
Are they even English words? Culumnists use them alot. For example, they will say 'who dunnit?' and 'its not yet uhuru , '

- What perfume are you WEARING?
How can someone wear perfume?

- I have black PANTS.
Calling trousiers PANTS really sounds odd to me.

- I WISH I ,
I'm always confused as to whether the following word should be in past or present tense.

- DEBT.
I hate pronouncing it as DEATH.

- DIAGNOSE. HYPNOTIZE.
I never call these words once and correctly.

And so many more that I avoid like a monster. Do you have similar case?
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by cammax7(m): 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2009
lmao
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by YankeeZulu: 10:12pm On Jul 26, 2009
Yeh, i feel you on this, one word I can't just figure out how to use, and avoid doing so, it toward/towards, I never know when to use the former or the latter, ie, is it, I'm walking toward/towards the market, they are heading toward/towards the mall etc. Annoying and confusing! Anyway, I always try to find synonyms/alternatives for words I'm not sure enough of to use.
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by mohawkchic(f): 2:39am On Jul 27, 2009
~With so many Slangs/Jargons & Abbreviation in Everyday English these days ,i didnt reckon that much people cared how they pronounced words or which word is appropraite to use in different circumstances!Am pleasantly surprised to read your post!

~On words you avoid saying,try breaking them up into smaller chunks. . .{Syllables} in your head before pronouncing. . .It's a key skill that will help you improve greatly as Syllables are the individual sounds that make up a word! Just as it helps in Spelling,it helps in pronouncing too! You wud prolly have noticed it on dictionaries. . . for example

~The "Di"  is pronouced as "DIE"

~Diagnose : Di-- ag-- Nose

~Diagnosis : [/i]Di--ag--no--sis

[i]~Diagnosed :
Di--ag--nosed

~Diagnosing: Di--ag--nos--ing

~Diagnoseable : Di--ag--nose--able

~Hypnotize : Hyp --No-- Tize

~The two words you struggle with breaks into 3 syllables,some words break up into 5/6 syllables eg

~University : U--ni--ver--si--ty

~Intercontinental : In--Ter--con--ti--nen--tal

~Here's hoping this helps you confront those words you avoid like the plaque wink
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by kay9(m): 7:37am On Jul 27, 2009
mohawkchic:

~The "Di"  is pronouced as "DIE"

~Diagnose : Di-- ag-- Nose

~Diagnosis : [/i]Di--ag--no--sis

[i]~Diagnosed :
Di--ag--nosed

~Diagnosing: Di--ag--nos--ing

~Diagnoseable : Di--ag--nose--able

~Hypnotize : Hyp --No-- Tize

~The two words you struggle with breaks into 3 syllables,some words break up into 5/6 syllables eg

~University : U--ni--ver--si--ty

~Intercontinental : In--Ter--con--ti--nen--tal

~Here's hoping this helps you confront those words you avoid like the plaque wink

Didn't know u taught english language grin
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by mohawkchic(f): 3:34am On Jul 28, 2009
kay9:

Didn't know u taught english language grin

~ cheesy. . .One of the many advantages of having a child. . . Study/Homework time takes you right back to Kindergarten. . .keeps the old grey cells functioning wink
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by oyinda3(f): 4:08am On Jul 28, 2009
gudtime4us:

- I WISH I ,
I'm always confused as to whether the following word should be in past or present tense.

- DEBT.
I hate pronouncing it as DEATH.

"i wish" can be used in past or future tenses. if you want to refer to the present, you will use the conditional future.
ex.
past:"i wish i had. . ."
conditional future: "i wish i were. . ."
future: "i wish i could/would. . ."

the word debt comes from the french word dette . I think that's pronounced det (well that's how i pronounce it. )
death is pronounced differently. the ea is a tiny bit longer than the e in debt (like when u say d[b]ea[/b]r, but softer, not too pronounced) and the th sound is different . i don't know how to explain it just practice lol
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 4:10am On Jul 28, 2009
Oyinda is an olodo grin
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by oyinda3(f): 4:12am On Jul 28, 2009
gudtime4us:

And so many more that I avoid like a monster. Do you have similar case?

yes! english is weird.  but i can't think of one right now. i will post back when i do.
usually i just ask a native speaker friend if i have a problem with a word or phrase.

--
ah i remember a friend making fun of the way i said "caught." I thought i said it wrong but turns out ppl say it differently in the regional accents of US.
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by oyinda3(f): 4:13am On Jul 28, 2009
ThiefOfHearts:

Oyinda is an olodo grin

lol. just correct my mistake already. no name calling plz tongue
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:13am On Jul 28, 2009
I was just being random o. Keep it up.
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by RuuDie(m): 6:33pm On Jul 29, 2009
albeit

boycott
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by RuuDie(m): 6:34pm On Jul 29, 2009
fork
Re: Never Like Using These Words And Phrases. by pchima: 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2009
silhouette, pandemonium,schizophrenia.i could go on and on

(1) (Reply)

A Novel With Two Types Of Narrative / Get The Secrets To Making $500+ Online Writing Articles! / The Writers Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.