Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,428 members, 7,864,875 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:33 AM

If The Friday Is Good, Then Why Is It Tragic?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If The Friday Is Good, Then Why Is It Tragic?? (453 Views)

Today Is Good Friday: How To Celebrate Good Friday / Bromleigh McCleneghan: Sex Before Marriage Is Good / Lessons From Suratul Khaf (the Friday Regular Chapter) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

If The Friday Is Good, Then Why Is It Tragic?? by Buchi001: 5:25pm On Mar 25, 2016
Today marks The Good Friday, a day that has been commemorated for over a millennia. For many Nigerians, Christ died today in his torturous voyage to berth salvation for mankind. For the faithfuls who began the requiem season with fasting, abstinence and prayers, the journey is coming to an end soon, as for the multitude (like me) who haven’t made any obligatory or voluntary religious efforts expected of the season, we’re just preparing for another religious party, with rice, chicken and beer (I honestly can’t wait for Sunday).

We in this category are also not going to miss out on the entertainment shows and events lined up in all forms and manner by musicians, comedians, hotel owners, etc.

The day in itself is ironic because we have a tragedy on a Good Friday. More so, this “Good day” is set aside to remember the betrayal and heinous murder of a man by his own people. A day in which adherents are supposed to mourn, wear sackcloth, appear and act stricken, pray and remember their dead, eat no meat, drink no strong wine, bear no joy, and its alleged to be good, how wonderful.

I guess we Christians are supposed to be happy while we undergo the dirge, as it is the foundation of the salvation we hope and believe in. without the tragedy, there would be nothing to believe in.

Beyond the irony of the somber day and the attendant dramatic engagements associated with the season, what is most pertinent to me is the fact that the tragedy is not just a religious symbol or tales of a biblical sojourn, it is real, continuous and most hypocritical.

The tragedy of today’s Good Friday lies in the fact that by tonight, millions of Nigerians will sleep hungry, not out of fasting or dieting, but because they can’t afford even the cheapest cup of garri/rice or even cassava bread. Ironically, most of their pastors and priests will break their fast with 10 course meals for dinner in honor of the lord and I ask which one?

The tragedy of today’s Good Friday is in the fact that we now have to...................
http://www.mybeautifulnigeria.com/if-the-friday-is-good-then-why-is-it-tragic/

(1) (Reply)

You Shall Achieve Your God-given Mandate. / DO A Professional Website with us today. Call: 07030486879 / Make Your Beds Before Making Your Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.