Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,859 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Needs Advise From Breeders!!! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Needs Advise From Breeders!!! (785 Views)

The Four Types Of Dog Breeders in Nigeria / Dog Breeders In Delta State Come In. / 1st Dog Owner Needs Advise. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by jstrollet(m): 10:40pm On Mar 25, 2016
I have been a dog lover ever since I was a kid but wasn't opportune to own one untill now. I decided to get a GSD since I've made some research on dogs and found GSD Preferably. I got Nellie when she was six weeks old from a friend now, the prob is I'm inexperienced in dog training, feeding e.t.c tho I've been able to raised Nellie till now that she's 4months old by the help of same friend that I got her from. I mainly feed her Indomie together with fishmeal & fish but raising Nellie up till this stage wasn't easy coz she's too picky & rough, never barks on strangers & always pee whenever a friend shout or even tries to pet her & she lacks confidence which I'm most worried about.
Any advice on any of these her behavioral problem would be highly appreciated and also what other high proteinous dog food can I give my Nellie?

Thanks

Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by klassykute(m): 10:51pm On Mar 25, 2016
jstrollet:
I have been a dog lover ever since I was a kid but wasn't opportune to own one untill now. I decided to get a GSD since I've made some research on dogs and found GSD Preferably. I got Nellie when she was six weeks old from a friend now, the prob is I'm inexperienced in dog training, feeding e.t.c tho I've been able to raised Nellie till now that she's 4months old by the help of same friend that I got her from. I mainly feed her Indomie together with fishmeal & fish but raising Nellie up till this stage wasn't easy coz she's too picky & rough, never barks on strangers & always pee whenever a friend shout or even tries to pet her & she lacks confidence which I'm most worried about.
Any advice on any of these her behavioral problem would be highly appreciated and also what other high proteinous dog food can I give my Nellie?

Thanks

give her a cage or put d dog ina restricted environment where only u can go nd feed her. dnt even play with her doit for a long time like one month ... nd she will bite d next stranger she sees ..be it ur mum or dad ....dn noodles really anit good .. go to any walmart ..or shoprite tell em y want dog food .. or do rearch on google on d best local food to give her .. but

1 Like

Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by jstrollet(m): 11:08pm On Mar 25, 2016
Thnx @ #klassykute, will give it a try
Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by barcaboi(m): 7:22am On Mar 28, 2016
peeing is normal, she'll overcome it but let her pee often, also give her games to do or chase....and how do you expect to get her aggressive when u let her play wt ur frnds and everyone. ...put her in her cage whenever strangers are around and let the cage be located somewhere secluded......

2 Likes

Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by Femonjay(m): 9:20am On Mar 28, 2016
Nellie is just 4 months old that means is still a puppy and you are expecting her to have started barking and bite thing.

Tell your friends to come and try that in another few months or when Nelly becomes full adult, that time the topic of your post will be how your friend(s) were rescued from Nelly's paw.

So, don't bother yourself about the temperament now.

About feeding, Pro. in the house will educate us more on that.

2 Likes

Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by jstrollet(m): 1:18am On Mar 29, 2016
Thanks guys I really appreciate.
Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by Eveezy(m): 6:05am On Mar 29, 2016
No no no, am seeing d wrong advice here, could it be me DT misinterpretes wat u asking or wat? cos I feel u mean she pees out of fear nd doesn't bark cos she fears. that to me is a dog wit weak nerve nd u cannot get a dog wit weak nerve to be beta by keeping her locked up in a cage nd nt playing with her. Do d exact opposite of wat this people are telling u, play with her more often, do not beat her, cos I feel u beat her wit d attempt to mk her aggressive, go on walks wit her, gradually introduce her to new things, do not rush her else she will be worse, its sad u got a weak nerved dog BT she can be managed.
A weak nerve dog, naturally gets better with age, if its a female, some of them get territorial and aggressive after their first litter, BT den dey will still protect out of fear nd nt confidence. To build their confidence level, do not put her under pressure, show her that u love her, nd while showing her, when she cowers or pees out of fear, do not pity her or show affection cos she mite get d idea DT u want her DT way so u show u care, so instead u ignore her nd dnt beat her.
Try not to make ur frnds shout at her, d stage she is now, she sees u as her protector nd nt d oda way around, she will protect u wen she knows DT u wuld protect her wen d need arises, so discourage ur frnds frm shouting at her, it mks her more nervous nd fearful of all humans. Take her on long walks, nd while on d walk, encourage ur frnds to play wit her outsyd ur home, I know u dnt want a frndly dog nd DT is y it shuld be done outsyd ur home cos wat u need is a confident dog DT wuld protect u. I know most frnds derive joy in bullying dier frnds dogs especially wen dey know d dog will cower away, so plzzz encourage them to play wit her instead, this doesn't mean DAT if dey trespass in ur property, dey wouldn't defend. my male dog is frndly wit my frnds, plays wit dem like dey are his best pals, BT d moment dey jst pick a stick to try hit me, or land me a blow, my dog automatically changes it for dem.
after walks, u could release her to play nd rest a bit b4 u now cage her in d secluded area dis people speak of. Appart frm dis, train her ursef, dis will develop a bind BTW u nd d dog nd while training, mk use if treats as rewards instead of forceful training, do dis for abt a 2 months nd u will see great results nd finally wait for maturity nd u will av an averagely balanced dog. she will naturally bark wit maturity, some dogs are slow to learn Dan odaz

2 Likes

Re: Needs Advise From Breeders!!! by jstrollet(m): 1:08pm On Mar 29, 2016
Eveezy:
No no no, am seeing d wrong advice here, could it be me DT misinterpretes wat u asking or wat? cos I feel u mean she pees out of fear nd doesn't bark cos she fears. that to me is a dog wit weak nerve nd u cannot get a dog wit weak nerve to be beta by keeping her locked up in a cage nd nt playing with her. Do d exact opposite of wat this people are telling u, play with her more often, do not beat her, cos I feel u beat her wit d attempt to mk her aggressive, go on walks wit her, gradually introduce her to new things, do not rush her else she will be worse, its sad u got a weak nerved dog BT she can be managed.
A weak nerve dog, naturally gets better with age, if its a female, some of them get territorial and aggressive after their first litter, BT den dey will still protect out of fear nd nt confidence. To build their confidence level, do not put her under pressure, show her that u love her, nd while showing her, when she cowers or pees out of fear, do not pity her or show affection cos she mite get d idea DT u want her DT way so u show u care, so instead u ignore her nd dnt beat her.
Try not to make ur frnds shout at her, d stage she is now, she sees u as her protector nd nt d oda way around, she will protect u wen she knows DT u wuld protect her wen d need arises, so discourage ur frnds frm shouting at her, it mks her more nervous nd fearful of all humans. Take her on long walks, nd while on d walk, encourage ur frnds to play wit her outsyd ur home, I know u dnt want a frndly dog nd DT is y it shuld be done outsyd ur home cos wat u need is a confident dog DT wuld protect u. I know most frnds derive joy in bullying dier frnds dogs especially wen dey know d dog will cower away, so plzzz encourage them to play wit her instead, this doesn't mean DAT if dey trespass in ur property, dey wouldn't defend. my male dog is frndly wit my frnds, plays wit dem like dey are his best pals, BT d moment dey jst pick a stick to try hit me, or land me a blow, my dog automatically changes it for dem.
after walks, u could release her to play nd rest a bit b4 u now cage her in d secluded area dis people speak of. Appart frm dis, train her ursef, dis will develop a bind BTW u nd d dog nd while training, mk use if treats as rewards instead of forceful training, do dis for abt a 2 months nd u will see great results nd finally wait for maturity nd u will av an averagely balanced dog. she will naturally bark wit maturity, some dogs are slow to learn Dan odaz

Yeah! You got it right. She's fearful mostly when my friends or someone yelled @ her and in this process she pees abnormally. You made a point here by saying I should stop my friends from shouting at her, coz I'm beginning to suspect that that was what led to her fear coz right from the very first day I brought her in they (my friends) have been shouting at her to know her confident, so I will try that line, while for the walking I do take her out for walk a lot I can say that her fear is only when someone yelled at her or comes close to her in a horror way but when it come to other things like meeting other dogs be it small or big dogs she's always fearless, that is what I love about her. So thanks, I'm gonna also do as you said.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Please Help Identify This Breed / Adult Brindle Boarboel Female Dog For Sale In Kaduna State / I Need A TALKING PARROT As My Son's Birthday Gift.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.