Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,678 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

What Is The Most Useless Thing You Ever Bought? The Answer Will Surprise You! - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / What Is The Most Useless Thing You Ever Bought? The Answer Will Surprise You! (585 Views)

Bill Gate Reveals The Two Craziest Stuffs He Ever Bought / MMM Peeps: The Only Thing You Will See On January 14th AFCON 2017 / Gtbank: One Of The Most Useless Bank In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Most Useless Thing You Ever Bought? The Answer Will Surprise You! by ItuExchange(m): 1:07am On Mar 26, 2016
A college degree.

I'm not going to get into the usual complaints about college: the debt, the rising costs, the lack of jobs, etc. I'm just going to describe my own personal experience.

I went to a good school, had a normal social life, and majored in Computer Science, a field where I could expect a nice return on my investment.

I graduated with some debt but, no problem, because of my high grades in my field, I got into one of the best graduate schools in the country.

For about five years in a row I programmed computers every day. Then I left graduate school but stayed on campus, programming for various academic projects that students and professors were working on.

By the time I hit the "real" world (programming the network of HBO, the television company) I had probably put in 10,000 hours programming or more in an academic environment. Between class projects and academic-related jobs. I was obsessively interested in programming and loved learning all the nuances.

Then I left the academic world and started working at HBO.

Within one week of work, HBO realized I was so incompetent at programming that they had to send me to two months of remedial programming classes.

After that, I was about average and would come into work at 5am and leave around 7pm and work weekends just to keep up with my peers.

I ended up starting a web services company making websites for entertainment companies but I outsourced the programming to programmers better than me. In particular, I hired on the side many of the programmers I worked with at HBO. We were very successful because of that.

The most useless thing I ever bought was a piece of paper saying I had a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. It cost me about $120,000 and 5 years of my life.

NB: This is not my opinion. This post is the opinion of a mad genius called James Altucher. See more of his articles here: http://www.jamesaltucher.com/

Neteller here: www..com.ng
Re: What Is The Most Useless Thing You Ever Bought? The Answer Will Surprise You! by Olarajee(m): 2:04am On Mar 26, 2016
Smiles.... knowledge is never useless. He didn't pay for the degree but the process. Make him no vex ehn.
Re: What Is The Most Useless Thing You Ever Bought? The Answer Will Surprise You! by Raphtop(m): 4:16am On Mar 26, 2016
why would i buy sth that is not useful at the first place

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Signs N844bn Mou On 4th Mainland Bridge / Nepc,the Man Behind Your Online export Licence Portal Needs A Sack Or Vaction / Police Is Chasing Nnn Promoters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.