Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,863 members, 7,810,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:54 AM

Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK (8710 Views)

Simple Ways To Pass Your USA Embassy Visa Interview / Transit Visa to Nassau Bahamas : Advice Needed / Another Peace Mass Transit Bus Involved In Fatal Accident On Enugu Road (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Iyalodeofcanada: 3:49pm On Mar 28, 2016
Hi everyone,

I am an international student in Canada at the moment and i have a US visa as well. I am coming home to Nigeria to visit and the cheapest airline i seem to get is British airway that is gonna fly through UK and have a layover in London. My question is do i need a transit visa? What i read on Uk's website isn't clear enough. Thanks
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by worry359(m): 5:33pm On Mar 28, 2016
The website says that you will need transit visa.
You’ll need a visa to pass through the UK in transit (unless you’re exempt)

You should apply for a Direct Airside Transit visa if you arrive in the UK on a flight and leave again without passing through immigration control.

Direct Airside Transit visa https://www.gov.uk/transit-visa
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by justwise(m): 7:07pm On Mar 28, 2016
Iyalodeofcanada:
Hi everyone,

I am an international student in Canada at the moment and i have a US visa as well. I am coming home to Nigeria to visit and the cheapest airline i seem to get is British airway that is gonna fly through UK and have a layover in London. My question is do i need a transit visa? What i read on Uk's website isn't clear enough. Thanks

How many hours stopover ?
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Iyalodeofcanada: 7:24pm On Mar 28, 2016
5hours 10minutes
justwise:

How many hours stopover ?
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by justwise(m): 7:26pm On Mar 28, 2016
Iyalodeofcanada:
5hours 10minutes

As long as you are not leaving the airport you don't need a transit visa

7 Likes

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 7:12am On Mar 29, 2016
justwise:

But if the flight gets delayed for 48 hours, you would surely have a sore yansh from excessive seating and sleeping on those hard chairs!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by claremont(m): 8:40am On Mar 29, 2016
Lexusgs430:

But if the flight gets delayed for 48 hours, you would surely have a sore yansh from excessive seating and sleeping on those hard chairs!!!!!

If the flight gets delayed, it's the responsibility of the Airline to provide free hotel accommodation for however long it's been delayed for.
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 10:19am On Mar 29, 2016
claremont:

If the flight gets delayed, it's the responsibility of the Airline to provide free hotel accommodation for however long it's been delayed for.

Free hotel without transit visa?
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by worry359(m): 10:23am On Mar 29, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Free hotel without transit visa?

We have heard tales in the past of some passengers being given hotels but Nigerians left at the airport.
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Pidggin(f): 4:21pm On Mar 29, 2016
To be safe, get a transit or visit visa
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 7:23am On Mar 30, 2016
worry359:

We have heard tales in the past of some passengers being given hotels but Nigerians left at the airport.

Possibly, the Nigerians did not have a transit visa. Not the airlines fault!!!!
If on a transit journey, always best to get a transit visa. If flight gets delayed, simply hop into the city and view around(if change dey or credit card, do some shopping and take lovely pictures).
I would NEVER transit without a transit visa!!!
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by worry359(m): 8:22am On Mar 30, 2016
Lexusgs430:

I would NEVER transit without a transit visa!!!

Well said

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Adecephas(m): 9:49pm On Mar 30, 2016
Iyalodeofcanada:
Hi everyone,

No you don't
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by justwise(m): 9:56pm On Mar 30, 2016
Pidggin:
To be safe, get a transit or visit visa

He will not be given one under this condition.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Iyalodeofcanada: 10:40pm On Mar 30, 2016
Thank you so much
justwise:

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by tpiah01: 10:43pm On Mar 30, 2016
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Iyalodeofcanada: 6:06pm On Apr 22, 2016
Thanks everyone for the sake of future occurences. I called british airways and they said a transit visa is needed.

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by worry359(m): 6:20pm On Apr 22, 2016
Iyalodeofcanada:
Thanks everyone for the sake of future occurences. I called british airways and they said a transit visa is needed.

Well done for checking.
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by justwise(m): 7:33pm On Apr 22, 2016
Iyalodeofcanada:

Please if you applied and given let us know.

I still maintain that you don't need one if you are just on transit and not leaving the airport

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by VickyRotex(f): 2:44pm On Sep 15, 2017
justwise:

Please if you applied and given let us know.

I still maintain that you don't need one if you are just on transit and not leaving the airport

Justwise, I hope you are doing well?
Please, I need advice on this one. Thank God I found this thread.
I'm trying to book my flight, and the cheapest I've seen so far is BA. About 800+ dollars difference from other airlines.
I wanted to confirm if I need a transit visa. My friend who used BA last year said her layover was about 12hrs, and she was at the airport all through and didn't need to have a transit visa.
Mine is about that long too. Do you advise I get a transit visa (If the only reason I need one is just to step out of the airport), or use a different airline that doesn't require that or just stay put at the Airport during the layover? (I don't have a problem with staying put cheesy, but I don't want their wahala)
Please advise, as I need to book this today. I've checked their website, and all I'm seeing is DATV and Non-DATV. They also mentioned that if you have a Canadian visa you don't need one. So not sure, if I still need one.

I've always been a fan of LH, but they want to "remije" this time. grin The difference is too much.

Thank you!

PS: I've been on hold since tryna reach someone at their care line. cry cry
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 4:22pm On Sep 15, 2017
VickyRotex:

I'm trying to book my flight, and the cheapest I've seen so far is BA. About 800+ dollars difference from other airlines.
I wanted to confirm if I need a transit visa. My friend who used BA last year said her layover was about 12hrs, and she was at the airport all through and didn't need to have a transit visa.
Mine is about that long too. Do you advise I get a transit visa (If the only reason I need one is just to step out of the airport), or use a different airline that doesn't require that or just stay put at the Airport during the layover? (I don't have a problem with staying put cheesy, but I don't want their wahala)
Please advise, as I need to book this today. I've checked their website, and all I'm seeing is DATV and Non-DATV. They also mentioned that if you have a Canadian visa you don't need one. So not sure, if I still need one.

I've always been a fan of LH, but they want to "remije" this time. grin The difference is too much.

Thank you!

If you are happy to sleep on hard chairs, use airport toilet facilities, stroll around the airport, buy duty free and eat airport food, no transit visa required.......

On the up side, take all the chargers for your devices. Free WiFi available to keep you company....
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by VickyRotex(f): 5:13pm On Sep 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

If you are happy to sleep on hard chairs, use airport toilet facilities, stroll around the airport, buy duty free and eat airport food, no transit visa required.......

On the up side, take all the chargers for your devices. Free WiFi available to keep you company....

lol If I'm happy? cheesy No na, but I may not have a choice ni. Since my luggage will be checked in till final destination. I wouldn't have much to carry around. My last flight was an 8hours layover, and honestly, before I knew it, it was time to board. I didn't even feel it. So I'm not sure it would be that bad to hang around until it's time. My only fear is that the flight shouldn't be canceled or delayed. The returning flight is not an issue, as its just about 3hours layover.

If only Lufthansa had a fair deal, I'm already familiar with their system. But the prices are high compared to what BA has on their plate.

lol sure! I have special power banks reserved primarily for travels. grin So I'm sure I'd survive.

Thanks for the response. To be safe, If I decide to go ahead with applying for the Transit visa, any idea how long it will take, plus what documents I'd be needing?

PS: I finally spoke with people at BA customer care, after transferring me from one agent to another, for over an hour, they all said they cant give me that information, that I need to look it up on immigration website, and I told them, the immigration website advised that I reach out to the airline I'm going with to confirm. Back in a loop. Osu mi.

Thank you once again.
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 5:27pm On Sep 15, 2017
VickyRotex:

lol If I'm happy? cheesy No na, but I may not have a choice ni. Since my luggage will be checked in till final destination. I wouldn't have much to carry around. My last flight was an 8hours layover, and honestly, before I knew it, it was time to board. I didn't even feel it. So I'm not sure it would be that bad to hang around until it's time. My only fear is that the flight shouldn't be canceled or delayed. The returning flight is not an issue, as its just about 3hours layover.

If only Lufthansa had a fair deal, I'm already familiar with their system. But the prices are high compared to what BA has on their plate.

lol sure! I have special power banks reserved primarily for travels. grin So I'm sure I'd survive.

Thanks for the response. To be safe, If I decide to go ahead with applying for the Transit visa, any idea how long it will take, plus what documents I'd be needing?

PS: I finally spoke with people at BA customer care, after transferring me from one agent to another, for over an hour, they all said they cant give me that information, that I need to look it up on immigration website, and I told them, the immigration website advised that I reach out to the airline I'm going with to confirm. Back in a loop. Osu mi.

Thank you once again.

When do you intend embarking on this journey? Your present location and intended destination? Do you have any places or people you would like to visit, at your transit location?

All the above factors would determine, if applying for a transit visa would be worth that hassle........
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by VickyRotex(f): 5:32pm On Sep 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

When do you intend embarking on this journey? Your present location and intended destination? Do you have any places or people you would like to visit, at your transit location?

All the above factors would determine, if applying for a transit visa would be worth that hassle........

I have people in London, but I do not intend to visit them within the short period.

Thank you!
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 5:48pm On Sep 15, 2017
VickyRotex:

I have people in London, but I do not intend to visit them within the short period.

Thank you!

If you have got no intention visiting, best to remain within.

Just arm yourself with towel, shower gel, powerbanks, cards to feed and drink, Toothbrush and toothpaste. Find a spot and setup camp (no candles or flares allowed)...

2 Likes

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by VickyRotex(f): 5:51pm On Sep 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

If you have got no intention visiting, best to remain within.

Just arm yourself with towel, shower gel, powerbanks, cards to feed and drink, Toothbrush and toothpaste. Find a spot and setup camp (no candles or flares allowed)...

Excellent! Thank you for the advice. Very much appreciated! smiley
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Lexusgs430: 5:54pm On Sep 15, 2017
VickyRotex:

Excellent! Thank you for the advice. Very much appreciated! smiley

Use the cost of applying for a transit visa, to entertain yourself within your new camp spot.....

Hopefully, no delays would occur on your schedule flights.....

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by VickyRotex(f): 6:10pm On Sep 15, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Use the cost of applying for a transit visa, to entertain yourself within your new camp spot.....

Hopefully, no delays would occur on your schedule flights.....

"New camp spot" grin I believe it would be a great experience.

Hopefully there won't be. Amen! embarassed Thank you very much!

1 Like

Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by extrovert6(m): 1:12am On Mar 20, 2018
Weldone guyz, your conversations here are helpful.

So, I'm going to the US in may via BA.

Please, I need info on how to get transit visa in Nigeria.

Then, I'll like to confirm if the transit visa will be dated because I want to extend my trip with 3 weeks in the US.

I'll appreciate personal contact for WhatsApp communication.
Re: Do I Need A Transit Visa To Pass Through UK by Sibaa(m): 4:33pm On Feb 12, 2023
VickyRotex:

Thank you!

Hi happy new year.

I just saw this thread, I just want to ask you a favor, did you require that transit visa to pass through the UK using BA? If no, but as you land at Heathrow, was there any document check to verify which country visa you were in possession of?.

Thank you

(1) (Reply)

COVID-19: Saudi Arabia Lifts Travel Ban On Nigeria, 16 Others / Between USA And EUROPE Where Can One Hustle And Make Money / I'm Scared Of Going To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.