Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,142 members, 7,953,525 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:58 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1235) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12449246 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1232) (1233) (1234) (1235) (1236) (1237) (1238) ... (16685) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:
Lol a few old players won't hurt.. We need a good balance.. I've just made my case with stats and quality recent videos.. make your case..

one thing for sure a completely young team won't do it for us right now.

Those old players you have been mentioning are way past there peaks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:37pm On Jul 28, 2017
I've only mentioned Emenike throughout my NairalandSpan

How many goals did Emenike score in his peak?

Icon4s:

Those old players you have been mentioning are way past there peaks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:
I've only mentioned Emenike throughout my NairalandSpan

How many goals did Emenike score in his peak?

You and I know Emenike had his run And then stopped scoring.

We were patient and still allowed him more time to see if he could manage to pick up.
But he didn't.

We have moved on. We have younger strikers now whose careers are on the rise. We need to explore and exploit those.

To me Ighalo, Ideye, and Emenike are no-no.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:05pm On Jul 28, 2017
I call that goals draught. Even the young players will experience it too. The fact is you need a good balance of youth and experience.
Emenike looks really good right now. Or is Osihmen banging goals grin

Icon4s:

You and I know Emenike had his run And then stopped scoring.

We were patient and still allowed him more time to see if he could manage to pick up.
But he didn't.

We have moved on. We have younger strikers now whose careers are on the rise. We need to explore and exploit those.

To me Ighalo, Ideye, and Emenike are no-no.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:16pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:
I call that goals draught. Even the young players will experience it too. The fact is you need a good balance of youth and experience.
Emenike looks really good right now. Or is Osihmen banging goals grin

We need the experience of players who are still productive and prolific. Moses, Musa, Mikel, Onazi, Echiejile, Balogun and Omeruo can provide the experience we need in their respective positions.

We just need the youngsters to ride on their backs. The absence of 3 of the 7 I mentioned above is largely responsible for our loss to SA. All 7 played against Algeria and all the goals came from 2 of them.

The only young player I am not comfortable having in that team is Osimhen cos he IMO has not yet proven himself as a professional player. Others like Iheanacho, Kayode, Simon, Iwobi, Etebo, Ekong, Ndidi, Awaziem and Shehu are rightly in the squad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:19pm On Jul 28, 2017
I'm making a case for a number 9 considering our next opponent, Cameroon. Judging with most recent form, Emenike is still productive. At least he has not been used recently.

Modified.

And please let's not go back to the SA match. My opinion has always been we lost MAINLY because South Africa has improved a lot.

Icon4s:

We need the experience of players who are still productive and prolific. Moses, Musa, Mikel, Onazi, Echiejile, Balogun and Interior can provide the experience we need in their respective positions.

We just need the youngsters to ride on their backs. The absence of 3 of the 7 I mentioned above is largely responsible for our loss to SA. All 7 played against Algeria and all the goals came from 2 of them.

The only young player I am not comfortable having in that team is Osimhen cos he IMO has not yet proven himself as a professional player. Others like Iheanacho, Kayode, Simon, Iwobi, Etebo, Ndidi, Awaziem and Shehu are rightly in the squad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:20pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:
I'm making a case for a number 9 considering our next opponent, Cameroon. Judging with most recent form, Emenike is still productive. At least he has not been used recently.

My brother forget. We have moved on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
Stats I requestes from NPFL Stats.. Here is their reply:

NPFL STATISTICS‏ @NPFLstats 5h5 hours ago
More
NPFL STATISTICS Retweeted Ejay Dacoda

IKECHUKWU EZENWA's stats this #NPFL season

Apps (subs): 14 (0) --- out of 32 matches
Clean sheet: 6
Goals conceded: 13
Penalty faced/saved: 2/1

Do you consider this stats impressive?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:17pm On Jul 28, 2017
For the love of NPFL, please monitor our league here with summary of matches:

www.npfl.ng
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2017
Agents at work!

O pari

Joebie:
I think we still need Emenike.

He scored 3 times against Monaco at the Champions League qualification stage last year.
1 assist against eventual Europa League champoins
1 goal against Feyenoord
4 Super Lig goals.

Currently he has one goal from only 2 minutes of game time for Olympiakos in the Champions League. I think he still has it. Plus, he is big, fast and experienced. Emenike-Iheanacho pairing against Cameroon. My people, over to you.

Enyeama and Emenike should call off their retirement. Together with returnees Mikel, Moses and Balogun, and new boy Ola Aina, I think we are good to go with the rest of the regulars.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 4:44pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:

Modified.

And please let's not go back to the SA match. My opinion has always been we lost MAINLY because South Africa has improved a lot.

I'd have ighalo start in his place and iheanacho as well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:55pm On Jul 28, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

A coach who can not come up with an evidence based strategy with indicators to pick out the best players for each role, is that one a coach?

Using your unit of measurement can you tell me what parameters of appraisal and measurement resulted in essentially a youth player who has not even played 45 minutes of competitive football. Being invited to the SE. Add to that a bottom of the league relegation facing Bundesliga team.

Can I ask then, is that one a coach ?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:08pm On Jul 28, 2017
Lol.. you really things real agents will be on nairaland, trying to convince who?

Icon79:
Agents at work!

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:10pm On Jul 28, 2017
I prefer Emenike. Although Ighalo has been making a case lately for a recall. But my point is I think Emenike will perform better, considering the opposition.

junnyjake:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 6:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
Emenike werey WO,who's mentioning emenike again,y not call back Julius aghahowa or yak ,emenike dt played as a top nine for almost two years wout hitting a bar let alone of scoring,u re proffering him as a soln,
I don't knw y Nigerians re always panicking, just because of d last game,we av been clamouring 4 all sort of names to be recalled back to d team,as if we won't lose again
Na small remain make ppu start making suggestions dt we shld recall fatai 'Atere or ihejerika 'into d team.u guys shld calm down and let those at d helms of affair do deir job

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 7:44pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joebie:
I prefer Emenike. Although Ighalo has been making a case lately for a recall. But my point is I think Emenike will perform better, considering the opposition.

It all comes down to personal preferences then.

The reason I'd drop iheanacho for ighalo or adi is simple "MATCH FITNESS" iheanacho towards the end of the season played very little football, he was left out of the preseason squad.

He may not need 90 minutes to prove to us again that he's our most lethal finisher at the moment. If I were rohr he'd start from the bench.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:11pm On Jul 28, 2017
Icon4s:

"I think we still need Martins", " I think we still need Osaze", " I think we still need Emenike", "I think we still Need Ayenugba even Eyeama". We should just kukuma disband this whole team and call back all our old "pensioner" players.
I tell you....please add amokachi and okocha...they really played well and look fit in the just concluded star 6 tournament.
Nigerians will never seems to amaze me.
playing Cameroon is now like playing Barcelona or Germany
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
komekn:

Using your unit of measurement can you tell me what parameters of appraisal and measurement resulted in essentially a youth player who has not even played 45 minutes of competitive football. Being invited to the SE. Add to that a bottom of the league relegation facing Bundesliga team.

chief. ...I think we have already talked on this one.....
please let's leave oshimen alone....everyone knows you're talking of the lad....who has rose to that level...all by hardwork...
thank God...rohr is not a Nigerian he would have been a tribalist by now...
even those foreign coaches like mouriho,pep etc cannot be said not to be value ridden in team selections. ...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:18pm On Jul 28, 2017
elyte89:
Emenike werey WO,who's mentioning emenike again,y not call back Julius aghahowa or yak ,emenike dt played as a top nine for almost two years wout hitting a bar let alone of scoring,u re proffering him as a soln,
I don't knw y Nigerians re always panicking, just because of d last game,we av been clamouring 4 all sort of names to be recalled back to d team,as if we won't lose again
Na small remain make ppu start making suggestions dt we shld recall fatai 'Atere or ihejerika 'into d team.u guys shld calm down and let those at d helms of affair do deir job
I tell you...wit the way things are now...
I think Peter Rufai will soon be clamoured for to man the post....
to be honest wit you...should Cameroon have players like aluko, onyekuru, olayinka; kalu of gent, etc they all will start against Nigeria and here we have one of the youngest most decorated players in Africa we're still weary

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2017
Humility017:

I tell you....please add amokachi and okocha...they really played well and look fit in the just concluded star 6 tournament.

Bros i tire for the mata oooo!!!
Just one loss and we dey panic anyhow.

We for invite garba lawal and me sef go play num 10, nuff leg over.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56pm On Jul 28, 2017
komekn:

As I said before there is a video analyst working in the team and he will most likely has studied past games of players and if from what he is looking for he notices that the talent is special, the coach has to look in to see if the analytical study is right. If in camp the player shows great promises as indicated, then the coach will work on integrating him into the team.

Case dismiss.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2017
kentebemoney:

Bros i tire for the mata oooo!!! Just one loss and we dey panic anyhow.
We for invite garba lawal and me sef go play num 10, nuff leg over.
LOL......abeg nor use laugh kill me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:37am On Jul 29, 2017
These are the people who will start crying and looking for a scape goat when Cameroon beats us lol. Our arrogance will never cease. Truth is we are not soccer giants even in Africa. Hence we need to approach Cameroon with caution.

Humility017:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 9jaStar: 6:57am On Jul 29, 2017
I agree with you. Emenike has retired and we really are not short in the striker department.
On current form, Odion Ighalo has 6 goals from 4 games all scored in July and is looking back to his old self.
If we need one retired player to unretire, that would be Vincent Enyeama.

junnyjake:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:27am On Jul 29, 2017
Joebie:
These are the people who will start crying and looking for a scape goat when Cameroon beats us lol. Our arrogance will never cease. Truth is we are not soccer giants even in Africa. Hence we need to approach Cameroon with caution.

Bros chill, 70th minute is what I am waiting for so we will start singing he is a miracle working God.

The fact that there are some fans who believe that Akpeyi deserves to even be a professional footballer leaves me in total shock I didn't even know what to type, some are even saying that Cameroon may not even get a shot on target, the same Cameroon that hassled Germany will not hit our target, are we Spain?

The same people are saying that retired players are no longer enough, some didn't even retire but we retired them because we are building something new. Okocha made mention of what a total overhaul did to them after the 2002(?) nations cup yet we haven't learnt from that, we still believe that a 32 year old has nothing to bring, that a 19 year old warming the bench in a top club has a lot more to offer than a 32 year old banging in goals in another team. Some will even ridicule a top goalkeeper just to prove a point. Me I have decided that I won't talk much again until Rohr releases his list, then if he has listened to these guys I will also not tak again until the 70th minute of that game

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by 9jaStar: 8:51am On Jul 29, 2017
Gernot Rohr will return to Nigeria on Monday.
Expect his squad list to be out anytime from next week, although he will meet with the NFF Technical Committee first then visit the CHAN team camp in Kano.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2017
Mickael2:

Bros chill, 70th minute is what I am waiting for so we will start singing he is a miracle working God.

[b][/b]The fact that there are some fans who believe that Akpeyi deserves to even be a professional footballer leaves me in total shock I didn't even know what to type, some are even saying that Cameroon may not even get a shot on target, the same Cameroon that hassled Germany will not hit our target, are we Spain?

The same people are saying that retired players are no longer enough, some didn't even retire but we retired them because we are building something new. Okocha made mention of what a total overhaul did to them after the 2002(?) nations cup yet we haven't learnt from that, we still believe that a 32 year old has nothing to bring, that a 19 year old warming the bench in a top club has a lot more to offer than a 32 year old banging in goals in another team. Some will even ridicule a top goalkeeper just to prove a point. Me I have decided that I won't talk much again until Rohr releases his list, then if he has listened to these guys I will also not tak again until the 70th minute of that game

Lol... It is Well...
But you know just ridicule Akpeyi by saying he didn't deserve to be a pro player... You don't need it bro... He is some else bread winner... And at least he deserve a little respect...

I could imagine when Peter rufai was making blunder at the tail of his career and someone should just come up with your statement on him...
How will he feel?

That's Akpeyi career... He work his ass out to be a pro player if he doesnot keep for Nigeria again nothing will happen, life goes on...

I always imagine the way we do come hard on player... We should remember they are human being like us... Even in our own professional.. Are we at our top game most times?

I read article on Aweziem ChAi.. The guy really felt bad about the bad comments people made about him... We should cut our players some slack and support them and if we can't we should leave them...

Joe Hart, Valdez, cech, even enyeama all had a bad day... Imagine with their bad day.. The coach should drop them and bring in another person...

Let support them and made them believe they can do it... That's how things work...

Bashing them won't work.. What's the probability that the new comer will perform well... ?

Just saying and my opinion...

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:46am On Jul 29, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Lol... It is Well...
But you know just ridicule Akpeyi by saying he didn't deserve to be a pro player... You don't need it bro... He is some else bread winner... And at least he deserve a little respect...

I could imagine when Peter rufai was making blunder at the tail of his career and someone should just come up with your statement on him...
How will he feel?

That's Akpeyi career... He work his ass out to be a pro player if he doesnot keep for Nigeria again nothing will happen, life goes on...

I always imagine the way we do come hard on player... We should remember they are human being like us... Even in our own professional.. Are we at our top game most times?

I read article on Aweziem ChAi.. The guy really felt bad about the bad comments people made about him... We should cut our players some slack and support them and if we can't we should leave them...

Joe Hart, Valdez, cech, even enyeama all had a bad day... Imagine with their bad day.. The coach should drop them and bring in another person...

Let support them and made them believe they can do it... That's how things work...

Bashing them won't work.. What's the probability that the new comer will perform well... ?

the problem is Akpeyi hasn't had just one off day, he has been poor in almost all his games for the SE bar one. Against Algeria we all supported him, but we have better players so why are we keeping up with him?

Peter Rufai was towards the end of his career and Peter wasn't always a great GK anyways, but this guy is what? 28? Should be at his peak really and he is committing school boy errors. There are better GKs

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:47am On Jul 29, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Lol... It is Well...

How will he feel?

well said....there is so much sense in your comment...
but wait....encouraging someone does not mean that they should be allowed to mount the goal post...in all important qualifying match against Cameroon....
you get? the best in camp should man the post...all players should be given equal opportunities to impress and let the best be chosen.....
not because you wanna encourage a player it won't be dropped for repeated errors
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:49am On Jul 29, 2017
Mickael2:

the problem is Akpeyi hasn't had just one off day, he has been poor in almost all his games for the SE bar one. Against Algeria we all supported him, but we have better players so why are we keeping up with him?

Peter Rufai was towards the end of his career and Peter wasn't always a great GK anyways, but this guy is what? 28? Should be at his peak really and he is committing school boy errors. There are better GKs
I think I am with you on this one....
we're on same page....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:13am On Jul 29, 2017
Humility017:

well said....there is so much sense in your comment...
but wait....encouraging someone does not mean that they should be allowed to mount the goal post...in all important qualifying match against Cameroon....
you get? the best in camp should man the post...all players should be given equal opportunities to impress and let the best be chosen.....
not because you wanna encourage a player it won't be dropped for repeated errors

that is the point exactly! We can support them, I used to support them anyways but in this case, supporting the player means giving him the nod to man the post against Cameroon, that is not possible hence the need to criticise the player. But if we have all agreed that Akpeyi should not come close then we can all joyfully wish him well with all his future endeavours. Same goes for a player like Awaziem
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 12:01pm On Jul 29, 2017
Humility017:

LOL......abeg nor use laugh kill me

Bros i re-watched the game over and over again.
The loss to South Africa was just another bad day in the office.

I wonder why people dey fret.

I greet you Bros!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (1232) (1233) (1234) (1235) (1236) (1237) (1238) ... (16685) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, enlady(f), Lyster360(m), AlhajiDanladi and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.