Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,612 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:29 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1869) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668236 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1866) (1867) (1868) (1869) (1870) (1871) (1872) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2017
Akwa United Coach Maikaba: How We’ll Conquer Africa After Aiteo Cup Win

 4 October 16, 2017 9:46 am

Akwa United Coach Maikaba: How We’ll Conquer Africa After Aiteo Cup Win

By James Agberebi (photo by Ganiyu Yusuf):

Akwa United coach Abdu Maikaba has expressed his happiness after guiding the Uyo-based team to win the 2017 Aiteo Cup trophy.

Akwa United defeated Niger Tornadoes 3-2 on penalties after 90 minutes ended 0-0.

The win means Akwa United have now won the Aiteo Cup for the second time after claiming their first trophy in 2015.

“I am so excited winning the second trophy in three years. This is my first trophy with Akwa Un8ted and I am very happy,” Maikaba told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“My first year, I finished fourth in the league and now I was able to win the Aiteo Cup. It is a good achievement for the team, and I hope we will continue from where we stopped next season.”

Maikaba said Akwa will do everything possible to make sure they have a successful CAF Confederation Cup campaign.

He said: “Going into the continent, we will make plans to make sure that our last campaign in the Confederation Cup doesn’t repeat itself. We understand the problems we had the last time we were on the continent and we will work on them.

“For now we will take a breather, rest a little and resume work as soon as possible so that we can prepare very well for the CAF Confederation Cup.”

He went on to give reasons why Nigerian clubs have been performing poorly in CAF competitions.

He added:”The mistake most Nigerian clubs make on the continent is after winning a trophy or qualifying to represent Nigeria on the continent, they tend to change about 80 per cent of the team that qualified them. The issue of continuity is not there. Football is all about team play. If you wish to continue playing as a team, you need to give players time.

“We will have some changes but not too much. We will fortify the team so that we will continue with our culture.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/akwa-united-coach-maikaba-well-conquer-africa-aiteo-cup-win/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 8:47pm On Oct 21, 2017
Moses Simon score
Kortrijk 0-1 Gent

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:47pm On Oct 21, 2017
Clementoke:

Well, I think I agree with u on Nwakaeme though I must add that all things can never be equal (that's on a lighter note) grin
You are a mind reader cos that was the last thought that came to my mind before I posted it but you know that in this regard of 'all things being equal' in relation to the team I am thinking injuries. We were quite fortunate though before the Zambian match as all our players were in top shape. One week later na so so injury left, right, center. We are praying for that sort of good fortune for operation Vladimir too.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:52pm On Oct 21, 2017
Nantes win 2:1...

Up to 3rd in the table.

Awaziem had a solid game. Such a tidy defender....

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:54pm On Oct 21, 2017
Mujtahida:

I detect some affection on your part for Ebuehi. I too really want him to be a success in our national colours and I really can't pin point why.

I actually rate him highly but Icon4s is correct that with Aina,it might be hard for him. We will most likely see more of him in friendlies.

I think he could still make the world cup.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:58pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

I actually rate him highly but Icon4s is correct that with Aina,it might be hard for him. We will most likely see more of him in friendlies.

He has the build of a winger sha but that's no problem as he can always beef up besides the World Cup is unlike African football. It's more technical. I pray he makes the cut through high performance.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2017
ChrisKels:
I doubt Nigeria will go to Russia with only three notable centre backs and considering how bad echijile's game has deteriorated, it won't be wise going to Russia without a solid backup.

Two Lbs; Echijile and Tyrone maybe Toru
Two RBs; Shehu and Aina maybe Nura
Four CBs; Balo, Ekong, Awaziem then anybody between Omeruo and Agbo, (maybe, Uduokai, Iorfa etc) but I see Agbo nicking it because of his versatility but then u can't rule out Omeruo completely due to his world cup experience though he is a calamity presently.

Those "maybes" are options I don't really consider feasible.

In total, I feel we will be going to Russia with eight defenders

Make we kuku go with 15defenders grin,because u want ur candidate to go grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 8:59pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ebuehi is someone I rate highly too maybe my respect for him is borne out of the fact that he declined the invitation for the Algeria game last year

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:01pm On Oct 21, 2017
Ebuehi, Man of the match performance.

Note that he led in dribbles.. Much more expressive now

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:02pm On Oct 21, 2017
Awaziem, second best player

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 9:09pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

[img]http://pbs.twimg.com/media/
DMr901vVwAATiFq.jpg[/img]

Pls who has the video highlights of Ebuehi. Can't find any on youtube
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:21pm On Oct 21, 2017
BELGIUM: Jupiler League - Round 11

FULL-TIME

EUPEN 4-1 MECHELEN
Eupen currently defeat visiting KV Mechelen, with Jamabo George kept in their dugout all through.

St. TRUIDEN 1-0 OOSTENDE
Joseph Akpala hopped off from Oostende's bench in the 83rd minute with the hope of changing the stalemate situation. However, it was the home team that managed to get on the scoresheet just before the dot of regulation time.

KORTRIJK 1-1 GENT
Moses Simon and Anderson Esiti both started for the away team. It was the former who broke the deadlock on the 60th minute.
Gent's third Nigerian later joined the fray in the 64th minute, contrary to my earlier report, only for Kortrijk who had Abduljaleel Ajagun on parade, to level 10 minutes later. Both sides settle for a point each.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:24pm On Oct 21, 2017
elyte89:

Make we kuku go with 15defenders grin,because u want ur candidate to go grin

Which of the sentences was too hard to comprehend?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:24pm On Oct 21, 2017
Nigeria Rejected Facing Iran, Saudi Arabia And Morocco In Friendly Next Month
Published: October 21, 2017

Nigeria Rejected Facing Iran, Saudi Arabia And Morocco In Friendly Next MonthThe Nigeria Football Federation say they had offers from Iran, Saudi Arabia and Morocco before opting to face Argentina in a high-profile pre-World Cup friendly in Russia on November 14.

NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi, disclosed at the weekend that nearly all arrangements have been concluded with regards to the big match, subject to approval by world football –ruling body, FIFA and agreeable flight arrangements.

''We have had long and fruitful talks, and we can say that we have an agreement,'' Sanusi told thenff.com.

''We await the approval by FIFA and also, we have to agree on the flight arrangements that would be comfortable for the players and crew.

''The match will come up on 14th November, four days after the Super Eagles’ final 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying match away to Algeria.

''We had offers from teams like Iran, Saudi Arabia and Morocco but we have opted for the Argentines''.

Nigeria's last competitive match of 2017 comes away at Algeria on November 10.

--AllNigeriaSoccer

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Toylove: 9:41pm On Oct 21, 2017
Mhen... I Don old o... 2010...c Danny shittu, Dickson etuhu too. The super eagles has really evolved

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:46pm On Oct 21, 2017
Shoit out to my baby boys Awaziem and Ebuehi for proving their worth today. It's always a good feeling when you give people a reason to reconsider smiley

You know I luh you kiss kiss

I know all my baby boys will prove their awesomeness and make it to Russia..

Mikel
Kelechi
William
Alex
Chidozie
Tyronne
Leon
John
Ndidi (for the snaps grin)

#BabyBoySwag

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:50pm On Oct 21, 2017

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

he is very comfortable on the ball and has the confidence to take on opponents.
Ebuehi will be ideal for a 3-5-2 formation if he plays as left back with Aina on the right.
He is a player for the big stage which I doubt rohr will let go.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2017
Toylove:
Mhen... I Don old o... 2010...c Danny shittu, Dickson etuhu too. The super eagles has really evolved

If it is 2010 that is making you feel old, that means i am a grand father..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:32pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

If it is 2010 that is making you feel old, that means i am a grand father..

grin Salvage
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:36pm On Oct 21, 2017
tbaba1234:

That's my boy. Prospects of going to the World Cup is working magic in the brains and legs of our players. Last week was Mikel Obi, Agu and Ighalo, this week we have Awaziem and Ebuehi. More, more, more, more. Project Vladimir on point. We gon act Octopussy in Putin's land.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:42pm On Oct 21, 2017
We have suddenly become the toast of international football - Argentina is playing us in November, England wants to play us, Germany is in the offing. We turned down Morocco, Iran and Saudi Arabia for the more worthy albiceleste. I feel playing Argentina in a friendly is what will break the jinx of being grouped with them. It's really strange that we've always been grouped with Argentina since making our debut in 94.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 10:51pm On Oct 21, 2017
NFF pays Rohr 5 months salary upfront

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:12pm On Oct 21, 2017
If nacho flops, he won't be the first to do so. So I don't get what's with the apprehension.

That said, I believe he has what it takes to make it elsewhere.

He also won't be the first or the last to get back up after flopping. I still wish him the best. I pray his agency borrow themselves senses to start shopping for another club.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2017
I'm sorry, but Nwakeme doesn't strike me as a footballer I'd like.
I don't know, he can still prove me wrong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:31pm On Oct 21, 2017
Humility017:

hmm.....had it been he is British ..and he choosed to play football...with all things being equal....with his present football skills and talent...he will probably make the cut in Liverpool and not be fummed out on loan
even many a time some of this English clubs find it difficult going after Africa players and capping those they're already signed like Henry onyekuru because of the work permit rule....not necessarily that they're not good enough....

it is a bit more easier for English citizens to thrive and be given opportunities than non British especially Africans.... also the world class facilities at the academics and teams can hardly be seen elsewhere in Africa....
this sometimes work against this lads when they leave for Europe I remember enyeama during his trials at Bolton wanderers of England...

I just comment your point up there....really reasonable. but I think sir goodjoe write earlier from my angle...

It's still a massive probability.

I was born in the UK one day my Father said when I was 10, "Chei I'm finished this boy, my son don turn oyibo finish Oh !!! ". I was then stoned first class ticket into secondary boarding school in Warri.

I had never heard Warri broken talk less of the general broken/ pidgin before. But that one act changed the trajectory of my life for EVER. To be honest I have never looked back, I thank God and my wonderful
Father for that great decision.

I was already playing football for my county at U12 age grade at 10.

The point I'm making is that the location of birth can not be the basis for where you end up in life. It goes beyond football.

Because of the fact that Awo was born in Nigeria in a particular area and grew up in that area that created and shaped who he would become. He then somehow liked football and developed his talent in the setting and cultural norms and practices of that neighbourhood area. That's what has defined him and made him who he is and the footballer he is in Nigeria.

If he Awo was born in England he would not have developed the same way. He will not have the same mental resilience. Even if he got into an academy at age 5/6 there is no guarantee he would make or even be half the player he is.

There are racist clubs in England that dont even know that thier cultural norms and traditions are inherently racist. If he ended up in one of those clubs he will not progress. And if you are black and British nuttin for you in this regard being British accounts for nothing.

It is actually easier for a player who is foreign to get in because there is money to be made both under the table and on top of it. Than a local player who costs nothing and isn't linked in. Simply because football is corrupt.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:42pm On Oct 21, 2017
Humility017:
same efe ambrose team got whipped by Celtic today in the league cup...

and someone here telling me how he caged Celtic strikers...
I am not against his recall but for now...he is no way better than those on ground...
moreover how will he...manage the feeling of sitting on the bench as backup for much younger ekong and balogun,shehu etc

You have shown your unmitigated prejudice and dislike for Efe Ambrose. Because Balogun is actually older than him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:43pm On Oct 21, 2017
komekn:

Because Balogun is actually older than him.

You mean officially right??

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:46pm On Oct 21, 2017
Didn't we ask for grade A friendlies? Previous NFF administration no fit do yanga dey turn down countries like those.. In those days we dey beg for friendlies oh..
Extra points for the NFF.

Mujtahida:
We have suddenly become the toast of international football - Argentina is playing us in November, England wants to play us, Germany is in the offing. We turned down Morocco, Iran and Saudi Arabia for the more worthy albiceleste. I feel playing Argentina in a friendly is what will break the jinx of being grouped with them. It's really strange that we've always been grouped with Argentina since making our debut in 94.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:51pm On Oct 21, 2017
Sincerely speaking why is it EPL or no other way for Ambrose?.. All these years he could have moved to France, Germany etc.
It's gonna be hard to make a case for him when the likes of Awaziem are PERFORMING in Ligue 1. He needs to be notching assists scoring or AT MOST as a defender, helping in preventing Hibernian from conceding week in week out, for him to show he is still in reckoning, especially as he is not in the Champions League with Celtic.

komekn:

You have shown your unmitigated prejudice and dislike for Efe Ambrose. Because Balogun is actually older than him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:59pm On Oct 21, 2017
Nigerian Exports: Ebuehi Assists; Simon & Awaziem Score; Uche On Fire; Aina Stars; Onazi Back

Catch up on the performances of players of Nigerian descent in the European Leagues on Saturday.

We start off in the Dutch Eredivisie. ADO Den Haag claimed a 2-0 win at VVV Venlo with two Nigerians in action.
While Tyronne Ebuehi
went the distance and provided the assist for his team's first goal, Arsenal loanee Kelechi Nwakali got only four minutes of game time.
Across the border in Belgium, winger Moses Simon opened the scoring at the Guldensporenstadion after 60 minutes, but his team went on to draw 1-1 with Kortrijk.
Abdul Ajagun and Simon were on parade for ninety minutes each for the respective teams,

Anderson Esiti subbed out in the 84th minute and Samuel Kalu entered into the fray on 64 minutes.

In the French Ligue 1, Nantes have climbed to third on the table thanks to their 2-1 win against Guingamp. Defender
Chidozie Awaziem opened the scoring for the home team in the ninth minute and put in a full shift.

On his return from injury,
Eddy Onazi played for an hour as Trabzonspor were beaten 1-0 by Yeni Malatyaspor , who had
Sincere Seth on the bench for the entirety of the game.
Elsewhere, in the battle between the Chelsea loanees, Barnsley suffered a 1-0 loss to Hull City at Oakwell Stadium.

Ike Ugbo started and was in action for 67 minutes for the home team, Hull City number 34 Ola Aina
played the full game and his teammate Fikayo Tomiri was an unused substitute.
Two divisions lower,

Uche Ikpeazu scored his seventh goal of the season in all competitions as Cambridge United beat Chesterfield 2-1 at The Cambs Glass Stadium .
The ex-Nigeria U23 invitee played the full game and netted the winner in the 78th minute.

Simon Akinola clocked up 85 minutes in Barnet's 1-1 draw with Yeovil Town. He scored after six minutes for the Bees.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Photo Credit : twitter. com/ Aina2Ola

Source : ANS

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:04am On Oct 22, 2017
Paul Onuachu Hits Milestone With 50th Goal For FC Midtjylland

Former Nigeria U23 invitee Paul Onuachu registered his name on the scoresheet in FC Midtjylland's 4-2 win over AC Horsens on game week thirteen in the Danish Superliga on Friday.
In doing so, the lanky striker now boasts fifty goals for the Wolves since his debut in the 2012-2013 campaign.

An analysis of Onuachu's goals revealed that he found the net 33 times in the Danish top-flight, bagged 8 goals in the Europa League and Europa League qualifiers, and tallied 9 goals in the DBU Landspokal.
The FC Ebedei product has provided 14 assists in 127 matches, including 12 in the Super Liga.

Onuachu's goalscoring figures are impressive as he surpassed Sylvester Igboun's tally of 47 goals in 164 matches over the same time period.
38 of Onuachu's 50 goals for FCM were scored over the course of the last two seasons.
Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Source : ANS.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1866) (1867) (1868) (1869) (1870) (1871) (1872) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Theben(m), Kingjite1, Marjoribanks, damagnificentusb(m), Princezibk, mostob(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.