Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,635 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (199) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668408 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
I don't know why two of u are arguing like this,pls be professional when it comes to analysis and don't be sentimental.

Please calling Taiwo back shows that Echijele did not leave to expectations and it w not be good for our football when we are yearning for younger players,though if we don't have options there is nothing we can do if Taiwo is recalled back.

On Oshaniwa,not playing regularly in lowly rated Scottish league is a minus for him and is not helping his football career.After world cup i thought this guy is going places coz d potential shows that he is far better than Echijele, may be due to poor agent he made a wrong move and is paying for it.

Echijele likely to still play LB against Algeria coz w lack quality replacement now but i don't see him as d best for d position coz d guy is diminishing and it shows against Zambia.I remembered Keshi dropped this guy and Ambrose for Madu and raheem lawal during d Afcob qualify.During this match Onazi moved to RB,Madu to LB and Lawal as DM.

It w take a coach that know Oshaniwa inside out to gamble on him coz of lack of playing time,not every player has d ability of Mikel,though I rate Oshaniwa than Taiwo an Echijele.

Thanks for your brilliant addition. It feels my throat runs dry while I keep typing on this issue. I agree that calling Oshaniwa is risky. That is why I prefer a cautious move. I do not want him as a starter now. We can not tell if he is still as sharp as the guy we saw at the AFCON qualifiers or the World Cup.

The problem here is, dropping a better option. Invite him as an extra player to camp. From the looks of it, Alimi and some other players were players the coach wanted to look at. They were not close to starting for the team.

That is the kind of position I suggest the coach should put Oshaniwa. Invite him and see if he can fight for his place in the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:22pm On Oct 25, 2016
Napoleon55:
But wait a minute,na me u wan pursue with cane abi na that guy wey call am tap in merchant.if na me I don leave the case 4 u n them alone.

You will fear flaming-cane today.
grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2016
forgiveness:

Go back to the post and read slowly.

I repeat Chelsea fans know that Solanke is not playing because of his contract issue. Shikena!

Na you add Coasta join, no bi me. Sorry.

EOD

Funnier. Because the guy wants £50,000, he kacks bench. grin grin

So you believe if Solanke signs 25k deal, he will get picked more often. Over Batshuayi or how.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:27pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

With what you wrote there, it is easy to see why you feel there is no need to call Oshaniwa.

I first watched Oshaniwa closely after Echiejile picked up an injury as we prepared for the World Cup. At that time, I was already critical of Echiejile's style of play. As soon as Oshaniwa made his first run, I asked on the match thread on nairaland who was that. (Oshaniwa already played for us but I took notice in that game)

Someone said, Oshaniwa and he was the back-up for Echiejile. I wrote that his attacking runs were brilliant but we need to see if he was good tracking back.

We had an attack not long in that game and Oshaniwa tracked back brilliantly and won a tackle. I wrote that he was good and a better option to Echiejile. At that time, will you say I based my judgment on sentiments?

For you talking one World Cup game, shows you do not have in depth knowledge on the issue. After that period, Oshaniwa went to the World Cup and played well. Brilliant performance against Argentina were he impressed against Messi and Di Maria.

After the World Cup, Echiejile recovered from his injury and he was back in the squad. Shocking and unbelievable, we once again dropped the better choice. Echiejile had a series of nightmarish runs until we had a little chance of qualifying for the AFCON.

Keshi had no choice but to bring Oshaniwa back into the squad and he was impressive all through. We did not lose a game but we failed to qualify.

Then came Oliseh and the cycled repeated. He dropped Oshaniwa again for the weaker option. When things went South, he bailed.

Then Siasia came. Same Echiejile. Rohr, Echiejile but the facts shows that we dropped the better option.

So this is not about World Cup and experience. There is a big chance Oshaniwa will do better. Why are people scared of that possibility. Leave Sentiments. This is purely a football choice.
I really understand your point but who to blame,d coaches that over rated Echijele.
After d world cup I don't expect a very good coach to drop Oshaniwa for Echijele coz it was cleared that d guy is better and this affected his career coz some players need national team to build their career

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:33pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
I really understand your point but who to blame,d coaches that over rated Echijele.
After d world cup I don't expect a very good coach w drop Oshaniwa for Echijele coz it was cleared that d guy is better and this affected his career coz some players need national team to build their career

I also believe Oliseh and Siasia's choices to go with Echiejile affected Oshaniwa's career. It seems Hearts wanted a player who played at the top in their club. As soon as he lost his place in the Super Eagles they dropped him.

I do not want Oshaniwa as a long-term option but for now, to qualify for the World Cup we might need his services. We are one game in eight games to go. We can not play with that much gap in the defence. Omeruo and Leon Balogun put a lot of work to cover for Echiejile. But, we can not expect it to work always.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:35pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for your brilliant addition. It feels my throat runs dry while I keep typing on this issue. I agree that calling Oshaniwa is risky. That is why I prefer a cautious move. I do not want him as a starter now. We can not tell if he is still as sharp as the guy we saw at the AFCON qualifiers or the World Cup.

The problem here is, dropping a better option. Invite him as an extra player to camp. From the looks of it, Alimi and some other players were players the coach wanted to look at. They were not close to starting for the team.

That is the kind of position I suggest the coach should put Oshaniwa. Invite him and see if he can fight for his place in the team.
Good suggestion if Rohr can reason like u.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:41pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Please, are you a member of CyberEagles?
No but wish to join d forum

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
No but wish to join d forum

Please chill here. They have enough people here. Your moniker looked familiar.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:45pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
I rate Oshaniwa than Taiwo an Echijele.

I think after Babayaro and Iroha, Taye Taiwo is Nigerian's third best left back. Some might even rate him higher than Iroha because he got goals.

Oshaniwa has never had the potential or quality of Taiwo.

Taiwo is no longer the player he was but Oshaniwa is not is his class.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:47pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

I think after Babayaro and Iroha, Taye Taiwo is Nigerian's third best left back. Some might even rate him higher than Iroha because he got goals.

I rate Oshaniwa higher than Taiwo too. Oshaniwa's speed, style of play and ease running down the length of the pitch is refreshing.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:50pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I rate Oshaniwa higher than Taiwo too. Oshaniwa's speed, style of play and ease running down the length of the pitch is refreshing.

On what basis, what has Oshaniwa done for the Eagles that Taiwo has not done, over and over again.

You just have a sentimental attachment to Oshaniwa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:54pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

Oshaniwa i watched at d world cup (2014)better than Taiye taiwo of 2010 W/C,though they belong to different class as u said,d club pedigree of taiwo is far better than Oshaniwa but i w never bench Oshaniwa for Taiwo,Do u know some coaches don't bring class to their selection coz I remembered Finidi as a local player benching Tijani as a foreign base.Also cote d voire based Yekini keeping Owobokiro of boavista and Mike Obiku of feyenord out of national team.Amuneke of Zamalek benching Ikpeba of Monaco.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:57pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

On what basis, what has Oshaniwa done for the Eagles that Taiwo has not done, over and over again.

You just have a sentimental attachment to Oshaniwa.

You are looking at history not style of play. Quit talking sentiments. I do not do that. I already gave you the attributes I prefer of Oshaniwa. Watch the matches he played for us. Most times when Victor Moses has the ball, you see Oshaniwa overlap pass him. Creating an option for Moses to pass or widen the defence for Moses to drive in.

Oshaniwa also crosses accurately.

It is like when Iheanacho started playing for Manchester City. I preferred his style and rated him higher than Bony. Someone like you will try to defend Bony for history. Not me. I judge by style of play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:58pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
Oshaniwa i watched at d world cup (2014)better than Taiye taiwo of 2010 W/C.

Some think left-back role is about tearing shots at goalkeeper from the left.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
Oshaniwa i watched at d world cup (2014)better than Taiye taiwo of 2010 W/C.

What of the Oshaniwa before? Do you remember Oshaniwa came him against Burkina faso after Echiejiele got injured in the final and managed to get beaten over and over again in a few minutes.

Taiwo had blinders for the Super Eagles... He scored spectacular goals. He depreciated towards the end but he was really got at some point.

It is ridiculous that he is even compared to Oshaniwa.. Not even in the same stratosphere.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:07pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You are looking at history not style of play. Quit talking sentiments. I do not do that. I already gave you the attributes I prefer of Oshaniwa. Watch the matches he played for us. Most times when Victor Moses has the ball, you see Oshaniwa overlap pass him. Creating an option for Moses to pass or widen the defence for Moses to drive in.

Oshaniwa also crosses accurately.

It is like when Iheanacho started playing for Manchester City. I preferred his style and rated him higher than Bony. Someone like you will try to defend Bony for history. Not me. I judge by style of play.

Oshaniwa was at best, stable at the world cup... He did his job well but offered nothing extra.

Echiejiele at nations cup 2013 was just as good if not better.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
Napoleon55:
where do u think u r getting at with all these? we should join u to ridicule his hardwork,cos that's what it is, bros if u insist u must call him "A TAP-IN MERCHANT,that's ur problems not his,his problems r how to score goals n his team,whether tap in or Maradona type of goal against England.

So we now live in a world were complimenting somebody is ridiculing them, u guys are acting stanlike and childish. So u mean calling Mutiu Adepoju the Head master was also ridiculing him? U said it urself a goal is a goal so why the fuss? It is always good wen people are buzzing about u that means u are doing something right. I rather start every match and be the tap in merchant than the bench warmer. If it was so easy Bony would still be there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:17pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

Oshaniwa was at best, stable at the world cup... He did his job well but offered nothing extra.

I believe at this stage w should not be comparing d two if Echiejele leave up to his rating but I can tell u Echiejele footwork on d ball is zero,defensive rate is alarming and his recovery rate is minus.A LB that cannot cross and always gv extra work for his CB,pls go and ask Omeruo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
lol guy went to ac milan when dem see his quality (or lack thereof) no one told them before they off loaded him.

taiwo has never been great defensively. it's only his athleticism and sweet left foot that saw him through all those years. on oshaniwa his lack off playing time at hearts is worrisome but i think he deserves the benefit of the doubt to prove himself.

rohr has a big job on his hand solving this LB conundrum

TheGoodJoe:

Some think left-back role is about tearing shots at goalkeeper from the left.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:28pm On Oct 25, 2016
chrisooblog:
lol guy went to ac milan when dem see his quality (or lack thereof) no one told them before they off loaded him.

taiwo has never been great defensively. it's only his athleticism and sweet left foot that saw him through all those years. on oshaniwa his lack off playing time at hearts is worrisome but i think he deserves the benefit of the doubt to prove himself.

rohr has a big job on his hand solving this LB conundrum

A really sweet left foot. That is undeniable. Taiwo can shoot.

I like the way you put it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:31pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

Lai, Lai. Oshaniwa's performances trumps his hands down. I think it was against Sudan that Oshaniwa made a cross that led to a goal. He ran to Keshi and they hugged.

Sad. I hope our young ones think well before joining some clubs. Some of them are blood suckers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

So we now live in a world were complimenting somebody is ridiculing them, u guys are acting stanlike and childish. So u mean calling Mutiu Adepoju the Head master was also ridiculing him? U said it urself a goal is a goal so why the fuss? It is always good wen people are buzzing about u that means u are doing something right. I rather start every match and be the tap in merchant than the bench warmer. If it was so easy Bony would still be there.

The tap-in came from fans who try to put Rashford ahead. It is in no way a praise but a ridicule that Iheanacho only scores tap-in goals. Which is not true in any way
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:35pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
"Don't shy away from what you're good at"

You keep saying the above and I wonder if you understand it at all as regards Nacho.

Is Nacho good at Tap-ins only??

He is also very very good at build-up plays and hitting the ball from distance...... he's good in using his vision to create chances and set up team mates beautifully. Nacho is A Super Hybrid kind of Forward and there are many kinds of forwards....

Nacho reminds one of a Mueller for his keen ability to attack space and get into those scoring positions.

He also shows good traits of Ruud boy and Pipo inzaghi to get into tap-in positions.... he's learning fast how to play off the shoulders of the defenders.

The Kid got a football intelligence that makes him drops deep to be involved in build-up plays and speed which makes him cover ground quickly to get into the centre forward role.

His Assassin-like ability to round the keeper and score is also present.

So What exactly is he good at?? Tap-ins?? *smh* Mehn! Even Air Jordan defines Michael coz he was a shooting guard for goodness sake!

But Nacho is a Hybrid forward. His central attributes make him a no.10/no.9 rolled into one. Tap-ins merchant is a limiting name. Period! Those calling him that on Twitter are probably non-fans of City.

They see inzaghi and co. finish na Nacho dem classify with those ones. You sef no dey look??

So If i played shooting guard u would call me Air Basco? Jordan was a crazy dunker one of the best but he could also do so much more. U can call Iheanacho wat u want, like i have already said i saw it on twitter and i felt it could be a good topic to discuss but like always u guys take ish so personal when it comes to this boy, i like him just as much as anyone else but i won't insult a fellow member if he feels different.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
I believe at this stage w should not be comparing d two if Echiejele leave up to his rating but I can tell u d Echiejele footwork on d ball is zero,defensive rate is alarming and his recovery rate is minus.A LB that cannot cross and always gv extra work for his CB,pls go and ask Omeruo.

As I read, I waited for the cross issue. Since the AFCON under Keshi, Echiejile was a poor crosser of the ball. Something that comes easy for Oshaniwa. Thanks again.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
i don't think analysts here are against the name tag ''tap-in merchant'' if it fits but they feel, including myself that kelechi's all round game is more than mere tap-ins.

inzanghi the patron saint of tap-ins if in his whole career he scored the kind of goals iheanacho has been scoring he would have been nominated multiple times for ballond'or.

BascoVanVeli:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:38pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

The tap-in came from fans who try to put Rashford ahead. It is in no way a praise but a ridicule that Iheanacho only scores tap-in goals. Which is not true in any way

Wrong i know for a fact that a Nigerian guy gave him props using the name after a goal. Still u guys have not answered the question, will calling him this suddenly make him forget the rest of his game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:42pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

What of the Oshaniwa before? Do you remember Oshaniwa came him against Burkina faso after Echiejiele got injured in the final and managed to get beaten over and over again in a few minutes.

Taiwo had blinders for the Super Eagles... He scored spectacular goals. He depreciated towards the end but he was really got at some point.

It is ridiculous that he is even compared to Oshaniwa.. Not even in the same stratosphere.

As I said before, most who argue this did not watch Oshaniwa closely. I am sure of it. You can not talk of Oshaniwa and the AFCON. I did not even notice him. Let alone store his name.

He became top notch towards the preparation of the World Cup and performed well repeatedly. The only troubled performance he had was against South Africa, where Ranti used his power to trouble Oshaniwa.

Apart from that, Oshaniwa's attributes were amazing and our coaches failed the Nation dropping him for an Echiejile he outclassed.

I rate him over Taiwo and I bet the Taiwo blinders you talk about are the games he scored with his powerful shots.

Not his tracking back and marking wingers. Not his ease of running up and down the flanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:44pm On Oct 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Wrong i know for a fact that a Nigerian guy gave him props using the name after a goal. Still u guys have not answered the question, will calling him this suddenly make him forget the rest of his game?

It gives him a false identity. I already explained that when some listed tap in strikers, their qualities are totally different from Iheanacho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

There are some things that easily show. I never saw anything about this. As soon as I heard a link of Iheanacho to tap in, it was self explanatory. Rashford fans. Some Nigerians support Rashford more than Iheanacho because of Club loyalty.

Look at the link below. You will see the tap-in merchant talk. I just did a simple search. It is not a term to praise Iheanacho.

Twitter Reactions: Fans Compare Iheanacho To Rashford As He Notch First UCL Goal

http://www.wolexis.com/2016/09/twitter-reactions-fans-compare.html?m=1
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:55pm On Oct 25, 2016
Kog45:
I believe at this stage w should not be comparing d two if Echiejele leave up to his rating but I can tell u d Echiejele footwork on d ball is zero,defensive rate is alarming and his recovery rate is minus.A LB that cannot cross and always gv extra work for his CB,pls go and ask Omeruo.

And the best option is Oshaniwa who has not played for so long?? Who flopped in the scottish league?

We should not be jumping from frypan to fire.

At 25, Oshaniwa failed in the scottish league of all leagues.. Taye taiwo excelled in the french league . The comparison is ridiculous. Just because of WC 2014... What did he do before and after that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:56pm On Oct 25, 2016
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:11pm On Oct 25, 2016
tbaba1234:

And the best option is Oshaniwa who has not played for so long?? Who flopped in the scottish league?

We should not be jumping from frypan to fire.

At 25, Oshaniwa failed in the scottish league of all leagues.. Taye taiwo excelled in the french league . The comparison is ridiculous. Just because of WC 2014... What did he do before and after that?

Time and time again, we see good players not getting a fair chance. Victor Moses who ran from club to club could not get playing time.

Today many are panting his name like the best thing since slice bread.

Oshaniwa did not get a healthy run of games at Hearts. That did not mean we should drop him. I did not read anyone saying Oshaniwa is our solution.

Just like we invited Alimi. Invite Oshaniwa and check. Echiejile was at Monaco and I still rated Oshaniwa higher. Pique was on the bench and Evans got far more game time but I rated Pique higher. When Pique became big at Barcelona, then people started rating him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (196) (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: mummyson26(m), shawwal1(m), Subzerooo, opes, dijon, ThanosKilla(m), AndSunGorilla and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.