Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,685 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (200) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11685359 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (16155) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:13pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It gives him a false identity. I already explained that when some listed tap in strikers, their qualities are totally different from Iheanacho.

Answer my question, i didn't ask how it make u feel, i ask again does calling Iheanacho a tap in merchant stop him from doing wat we already know he can?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:14pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Greizmann is a dynamic forward. Will excel without Giroud. That docile attacking style is getting outdated. Better you have two or three dynamic strikers than a docile one killing momentum.
Griezman would not excel playing as a lone forward. At Real Sociedad he had Carlos Vela, at Athletico he has Torres.
How he would have exceled without playing as a pair for his national team, I don't know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:16pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Griezman would not excel playing as a lone forward. At Real Sociedad he had Carlos Vela, at Athletico he has Torres.
How he would have exceled without playing as a pair for his national team, I don't know.

I have heard these kind of statements repeatedly. It is not true. That is how people repeatedly said Arsene Wenger was wrong playing Sanchez as a top man.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:18pm On Oct 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Answer my question, i didn't ask how it make u feel, i ask again does calling Iheanacho a tap in merchant stop him from doing wat we already know he can?

If I call someone a goat, does that stop the person from being a Human being?

I said the name does not define Iheanacho. How can a name stop Iheanacho?

Jamb Question.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:19pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder how you ended up with Shackles after you pointed out that despite playing as a striker, he has a high pass completion ratio.

Beats my imagination. We are talking of one of the most resourceful marksmen in Europe having a high passing stats and you use the term shackled.

Shackling is when Nacho is played in a position where his finest attribute is cut.

If Iheanacho's best attribute is finishing. Playing him in any other position cuts his finishing attribute.

Checking his stats, I see he has good pass completion rate but his key pass per game is very low.
A player who has such good numbers for pass completion and very low numbers on key pass in the final third yells me his team is under using him.
Just like a man who bought a Ferrari and drives it like a Subaru.

If he plays off a striker, with such pass completion rate, his key passes per game will soar coupled with his finishing, you will b looking at a world class player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Checking his stats, I see he has good pass completion rate but his key pass per game is very low.
A player who has such good numbers for pass completion and very low numbers on key pass in the final third yells me his team is under using him.
Just like a man who bought a Ferrari and drives it like a Subaru.

If he plays off a striker, with such pass completion rate, his key passes per game will soar coupled with his finishing, you will b looking at a world class player.

Greizmann can play as a lone striker. Simple. He will not play it like Saha or Djibril Cisse or Anelka. He will carve his own way playing there.

He is a brilliant finisher. Greizmann is fast, quick skills and intelligent. As long as he can finish well, he needs a midfield to create chances for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I have heard these kind of statements repeatedly. It is not true. That is how people repeatedly said Arsene Wenger was wrong playing Sanchez as a top man.
All through his career he has always played in a twin pair attack. I doubt he would have scored 5goals for France and won the player of the tournament had Deschamps employed a different tactics not suitable for his skill set
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Greizmann can play as a lone striker. Simple. He will not play it like Saha or Djibril Cisse or Anelka. He will carve his own way playing there.

He is a brilliant finisher. Greizmann is fast, quick skills and intelligent. As long as he can finish well, he needs a midfield to create chances for him.
Even with his size and skill set, you think he will make a good lone forward. Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:26pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If you were a coach, you would play a small forward as a lone striker and ask him to carve out a way of playing? Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

If you were a coach, you would play a small forward as a lone striker and ask him to carve out a way of playing? Lol

Is Sanchez not playing as a lone striker? Is he big?

Style, Strengths and Weaknesses
Griezmann can play right across the attacking midfield 3, or even as the lone striker in Montanier’s 4-2-3-1. However, he is mostly at home on the left side of the midfield trio as that is where he has played 14 times this season, scoring 5 goals.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/03/16/scout-report-antoine-griezmann/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:30pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

All through his career he has always played in a twin pair attack. I doubt he would have scored 5goals for France and won the player of the tournament had Deschamps employed a different tactics not suitable for his skill set

You doubt, you doubt, you doubt.

If a winger or creative midfielder can finish brilliantly, he can play up front.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:33pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Is Sanchez not playing as a lone striker? Is he big?

Style, Strengths and Weaknesses
Griezmann can play right across the attacking midfield 3, or even as the lone striker in Montanier’s 4-2-3-1. However, he is mostly at home on the left side of the midfield trio as that is where he has played 14 times this season, scoring 5 goals.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2013/03/16/scout-report-antoine-griezmann/
Why was Griezman more at home playing from the wings than as a lone forward in the formation you posted.

What Sanchez lacks in height, he makes up for in power, grit, stamina and ultra awareness.
His lack of height must be said, hampers arsenal play because the team can't get swing crosses into the box when in desperate search of goals like in their last game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You doubt, you doubt, you doubt.

If a winger or creative midfielder can finish brilliantly, he can play up front.
If an attacking midfielder was played up front, he would be world class in that position?
I wonder why Anceloti didn't think about playing kaka ahead of Shevchenko and inzaghi... Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Why was Griezman more at home playing from the wings than as a lone forward in the formation you posted.

What Sanchez lacks in height, he makes up for in power, grit, stamina and ultra awareness.
His lack of height must be said, hampers arsenal play because the team can't get swing crosses into the box when in desperate search of goals like in their last game.

I guess you missed the term can play. Nuri Sahin was good as a creative midfielder but he is at home as a deep-lying Playmaker.

Mikel is a brilliant creative midfielder but he can play as a defensive midfielder.

Greizmann can play as a striker but he played more on the left side of the attack for Sociedad.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:36pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If I call someone a goat, does that stop the person from being a Human being?

I said the name does not define Iheanacho. How can a name stop Iheanacho?

Jamb Question.

Does the person have any similar features to the goat? If the person had horns i would get ur point. Scoring goals can never be made to be an insult, children should watch and learn Iheanacho for his finishing. My prayer from now will be that Iheanacho scores a tap in to take us to the world cup and a tap in to win it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I guess you missed the term can play. Nuri Sahin was good as a creative midfielder but he is at home as a deep-lying Playmaker.

Mikel is a brilliant creative midfielder but he can play as a defensive midfielder.

Greizmann can play as a striker but he played more on the left side of the attack for Sociedad.
Name attaching midfielders who were converted to a no 9 and became world class. Just give me 3names
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:40pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

If an attacking midfielder was played up front, he would be world class in that position?
I wonder why Anceloti didn't think about playing kaka ahead of Shevchenko and inzaghi... Lol

You are just running in circles. Kaka will play it well. Shevchenko will play as top man well.

It is not funny. It is your understanding. In the past, we had big men like Batistuta, Kluivert, Jon Dahl Tomasson etc upfront. Players like Ortega, Okocha were left to create for them.

Today, we have smallish players leading the attack. Players like Texas, Aguero, Messi, etc.

Players like Oruma and Okocha would shine today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:40pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It's easier for a midfielder to convert from deep playing to attacking midfielder and vise versa. Yaya toure was a good example. But from midfield to no 9? Please give me names
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Name attaching midfielders who were converted to a no 9 and became world class. Just give me 3names

LOL. The point is simple. As long as Messi played there and became the World best, I wonder what you want to argue.

Are you not seeing Iheanacho and the conversion making him one of the deadliest finishers in Europe?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2016
Tap-in Merchant na wroooooonnnnggg name!!!!

C'est fini.... The twitter handles propagating the name got it wrong mehn... Accept it or not. smiley

As for insults... U're the one stating what doesn't exist.... Who insulted who mister??

Now you really need some glasses.... smiley

Is it so hard to accept that the tap-in merchant name is limiting and not fit for nacho??

Michael Jordan as a shooting guard could do many things (he could play pointguard or even small forward/power forward) hence "Air Jordan" fits perfectly.

Na wa oooo....

BascoVanVeli:

So If i played shooting guard u would call me Air Basco? Jordan was a crazy dunker one of the best but he could also do so much more. U can call Iheanacho wat u want, like i have already said i saw it on twitter and i felt it could be a good topic to discuss but like always u guys take ish so personal when it comes to this boy, i like him just as much as anyone else but i won't insult a fellow member if he feels different.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:42pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You are just running in circles. Kaka will play it well. Shevchenko will play as top man well.

It is not funny. It is your understanding. In the past, we had big men like Batistuta, Kluivert, Jon Dahl Tomasson etc upfront. Players like Ortega, Okocha were left to create for them.

Today, we have smallish players leading the attack. Players like Texas, Aguero, Messi, etc.

Players like Oruma and Okocha would shine today.
Kaka would have converted to a striker and became a world beater ahead of Shevchenko? And you say I shouldn't have a laugh? Lol lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:44pm On Oct 25, 2016
It blinds others from getting a good picture of what he is centrally about.... And that is not Tap-in!!!!

BascoVanVeli:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:48pm On Oct 25, 2016
I don't know why Sir BascoVanVeli is so insistent on this tap-in name honestly.

This "tap-in merchant" name is given by man utd fans and non-city fans (esp. Those who fan rashford) all over twitter and he's here holding it up as the best name for Nacho.

This is a name given to limit people' ideas of nacho and to take the shine off his brilliance.

TAP-IN MERCHANT IS A NO NO NO!!!!!!

TheGoodJoe:

There are some things that easily show. I never saw anything about this. As soon as I heard a link of Iheanacho to tap in, it was self explanatory. Rashford fans. Some Nigerians support Rashford more than Iheanacho because of Club loyalty.

Look at the link below. You will see the tap-in merchant talk. I just did a simple search. It is not a term to praise Iheanacho.

Twitter Reactions: Fans Compare Iheanacho To Rashford As He Notch First UCL Goal

http://www.wolexis.com/2016/09/twitter-reactions-fans-compare.html?m=1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:50pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

LOL. The point is simple. As long as Messi played there and became the World best, I wonder what you want to argue.

Are you not seeing Iheanacho and the conversion making him one of the deadliest finishers in Europe?
“To be honest I’m not surprised at his performances for Manchester City youth teams as I have said it before – he can play for any team in the world, as a matter of fact they will do well to use him as a replacement for Frank Lampard,” he told SL10.ng.
“He shares similar style of play with the outgoing legend. They can both create and score goals from midfield with late runs into the 18-yard box hardly spotted by opposition defenders.”..... Manu Garba

But Ezenwere feels that Pep Guardiola is missing a trick by using Iheanacho as a replacement striker for Sergio Aguero rather than playing him in behind the Argentina ace.
The only time the two players have been on the pitch together this season was for the last 25 minutes at Tottenham last week.
“Kelechi is best utilised as a support striker,” said Ezenwere, who blocked an Arsenal move for Iheanacho in 2014 and advised him to go to City instead.
“He can play as an attacking midfielder, and also play from the flanks. He is a natural left footer so can play from inside left.”.. Taye academy boss

I believe these two guys know how good kelechi is as a support striker than using him as a lone forward.
And YES, the tap in merchant name will continue to stick if he continue playing as a no 9.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:52pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Messi played as a midfielder in his formative years? Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:57pm On Oct 25, 2016
Wrong!!! It won't stick.... Man utd fans and Non-City fans who prefer Rashford are the only ones who will have that name on their lips...

Top pundits and media houses won't have that name as Nacho's nicky....

True Nigerian football fans won't....

Those who saw Nacho at UAE 2013 won't...

People who really understand the game of soccer won't...

A lot of people won't...

Was Ronaldo de lima a tap-in merchant?? Was marco van basten a tap-in merchant??

What about Samuel eto'o?? What about George weah??

Abegiii... That name will go no where. What a demeaning name for such a young special hybrid forward.

goldfish80:

“To be honest I’m not surprised at his performances for Manchester City youth teams as I have said it before – he can play for any team in the world, as a matter of fact they will do well to use him as a replacement for Frank Lampard,” he told SL10.ng.
“He shares similar style of play with the outgoing legend. They can both create and score goals from midfield with late runs into the 18-yard box hardly spotted by opposition defenders.”..... Manu Garba

But Ezenwere feels that Pep Guardiola is missing a trick by using Iheanacho as a replacement striker for Sergio Aguero rather than playing him in behind the Argentina ace.
The only time the two players have been on the pitch together this season was for the last 25 minutes at Tottenham last week.
“Kelechi is best utilised as a support striker,” said Ezenwere, who blocked an Arsenal move for Iheanacho in 2014 and advised him to go to City instead.
“He can play as an attacking midfielder, and also play from the flanks. He is a natural left footer so can play from inside left.”.. Taye academy boss

I believe these two guys know how good kelechi is as a support striker than using him as a lone forward.
And YES, the tap in merchant name will continue to stick if he continue playing as a no 9.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Tap-in Merchant na wroooooonnnnggg name!!!!

C'est fini.... The twitter handles propagating the name got it wrong mehn... Accept it or not. smiley

As for insults... U're the one stating what doesn't exist.... Who insulted who mister??

Now you really need some glasses.... smiley

Is it so hard to accept that the tap-in merchant name is limiting and not fit for nacho??

Michael Jordan as a shooting guard could do many things (he could play pointguard or even small forward/power forward) hence "Air Jordan" fits perfectly.

Na wa oooo....

I was always told to use wat is meant for bad as good. U can never bring me down with a new nickname unless its deragatory in meaning. I myself will never turn down a nickname that means goals thats almost anti football.
As 4 Bball when u don't know something it's best just to listen and learn, Michael Jordan is called air Jordan becos of his dunks, just go on youtube and the first thing u'll see about Michael is him dunking. He won 2 dunk contests, he dunked on anybody around the basket. If u give any real nba fan that explanation they will be disturbed, i even felt everybody knew this as common history but i guess i was wrong.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2016
Oga lemme help u out... Jordan was termed Air Jordan because whenever he does goes for a dunk especially with his leap from the free throw line, HE STAYS IN THE AIR FAR LONGER THAN OTHER DUNKERS.

HE even outshone Vince Carter in the dunking game in the NBA. smiley

I know my basketball bro. Was only speaking based on the positions he could play which will permit him to get into dunking positions. He was a shooting guard that could also play point guard, small forward and power forward.

So that's settled... smiley **So much throwing Jabs when you actually never knew why Michael was termed "Air Jordan" all along... Smh**

As for Nacho's nickname.... TAP IN MERCHANT IS WRONG!!!!!!! THE MOTIVE BEHIND THE NAME IS ALSO WRONG!!!!!!!!

SO SAVE YOUR CAMPAIGN FOR THE NAME.

BascoVanVeli:

I was always told to use wat is meant for bad as good. U can never bring me down with a new nickname unless its deragatory in meaning. I myself will never turn down a nickname that means goals thats almost anti football.
As 4 Bball when u don't know something it's best just to listen and learn, Michael Jordan is called air Jordan becos of his dunks, just go on youtube and the first thing u'll see about Michael is him dunking. He won 2 dunk contests, he dunked on anybody around the basket. If u give any real nba fan that explanation they will be disturbed, i even felt everybody knew this as common history but i guess i was wrong.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentAire(m): 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Bros!!! Tap-in merchant waters down what kelechi brings .
He should be played off a good num 9 and you'll see the guy activate beast mode.

Kelechi iheanacho is a 'BADT GUY'

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:10pm On Oct 25, 2016
Iwobi, Iheanacho Battle Mahrez For 2016
BBC African Player Of The Year Award, Organisers Announces Date

As many as three Nigerians are expected to be on the shortlist for the 2016 BBC African Player of the year award, when the organisers unveil the names in running for the award.

The list of nominees will most likely be revealed on Saturday 12th of November 2016, (IMAGINE!!! Same day Nigeria clashed with Algeria?) according to reports exclusively gathered by Owngoalnigeria.com.

Nominees will be unveiled on the BBC World
Service early morning Newsday programme at
around 0555GMT. The public will then be able to
vote online or via the BBC Sport pages and via
text.

Five names are expected to be on the shortlist
with the Nigerian trio of Kelechi Iheanacho of
Manchester City, Alex Iwobi of Arsenal and Ahmed Musa of Leicester City expected to be on the shortlist.

Although Algerian forward is the favourite for the award, which will be handed out in December, current holder Yaya Toure of Manchester City is expected to be on the shortlist despite being frozen out at Manchester City by manager Pep Guardiola.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/25/iwobi-iheanacho-battle-mahrez-for-2016-bbc-african-player-of-the-year-award-organisers-announces-date/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:21pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

You can call Iheanacho what you wish. Anyone calling Iheanacho a tap-in merchant shows his understanding of the game.

You feel those two know more than the coaches of Manchester City who discovered one of the finest midfielders in the game today. They also know more than Guardiola. Please.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:25pm On Oct 25, 2016
goldfish80:

Messi played as a midfielder in his formative years? Lol

Throughout his international career, which began in 2005, Messi’s place in the national team lineup has moved all around the field.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/04/10/where-should-argentina-play-lionel-messi-at-the-world-cup/

(1) (2) (3) ... (197) (198) (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) ... (16155) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: immobilare(m), chuks404, dijon, solonnachi, Silentgroper(m), Blueelf, elyte89 and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.