Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,018 members, 7,818,016 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (722) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11677319 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:24pm On Mar 27, 2017
zoboizee:
Super Eagles regular team led by Ogenyi Onazi were held by a second-string side led by Kenneth Omeruo 1-1 in a practice match played at the Hive Stadium in London tonight.

It was a competitive game played under a good atmosphere.

Manchester City striker Kelechi Iheanacho opened scoring in the first half for the ‘A’ team.

However, Olanrewaju Kayode drew the hopefuls level in the second half.

The main team in the all-green kits paraded the likes of goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi, Leon Balogun, William-Troost Ekong, Elderson Echiejile, Wilfred Ndidi, Oghenekaro Etebo.

The second XI, who wore white kits, lined up Shehu Abdullahi, Chiedozie Awaziem, Tyronne Ebuehi, Isaac Success, John Ogu and goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

Germany-based forward Noah Bazee was introduced in the second half, while Ola Aina from Chelsea played the entire game for the second team.

The match was played in place of a cancelled friendly against Burkina Faso at the same venue after the Stallions failed to secure visas for seven players to fly into the UK.

The Eagles are preparing for crucial AFCON and World Cup qualifiers later in the year.

Source- ScoreNigeria

Nice one!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 10:30pm On Mar 27, 2017
I don't understand something, please I need clarification from a contributor. Was Chidozie in camp yesterday, Sunday? I read and watched highlights of his game against Swansea, and yet today he played for the SE team B? If he left camp yesterday, then that must be d best kept secret of this camping exercise. And if it is so then the guy must like ball to play yesterday and today grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are forgetting the Iwobi factor. He is close to both Aina and Akpom.

and aina is close to both Tammy,solanke and fikayo tomori

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:32pm On Mar 27, 2017
Mickael2:
some of us watch football in a funny way. even the best teams do not play good football every single day of the season. the difference between a great team and an average team is the ability to get something out of difficult games. we had a relatively drab game but we got something out of it, against Senegal not just any team and the fact that we came back from a goal down makes it even better. but somehow we want our boys to marvel us every single day.

Then, why complain about Onazi? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 10:33pm On Mar 27, 2017
forgiveness:

Hahaha! Iorfa papa don dey wake up. grin
This match cancellation sweet oooooo. grin
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:36pm On Mar 27, 2017
tbaba1234:
With Ejaria after the under 20 WC and Tammy Abraham, the future is bright.

Inaddition is Ademola Lookman. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:38pm On Mar 27, 2017
Dedebanky85:
I don't understand something, please I need clarification from a contributor. Was Chidozie in camp yesterday, Sunday? I read and watched highlights of his game against Swansea, and yet today he played for the SE team B? If he left camp yesterday, then that must be d best kept secret of this camping exercise. And if it is so then the guy must like ball to play yesterday and today grin

I think it was a one off thing were his club begged Rohr to let him show up for their big match. I say this because he is not in their u23 set up, he play for the B team and i think they just want to win the trophy. This was good because it helped Rohr build a relationship with porto who have alot of Nigerians on their books.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:51pm On Mar 27, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

U are forgetting the Iwobi factor. He is close to both Aina and Akpom.

Akpom I don't rate he's had lots of chances never been able to step up.

Aina true Quality dont know how Josh got into the party he has not been that impressive. In terms of youth players Onyedinma Millwall should be there considering he started playing first team for Millwall at 17, I expect to see him in the Premiership next season he is that good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:52pm On Mar 27, 2017
Dedebanky85:
e nor mean na , during my service year I played a friendly for NYSC state team finished 2pm , rushed back from the capital to my PPA to play a local friendly match on only water, Pepsi and gala under kano hot sun.
bois dey chop Eba go play ball sef grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:56pm On Mar 27, 2017
jotey:

and aina is close to both Tammy,solanke and fikayo tomori

Add to that Ike Ugbo U18 striker for Chelsea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:00pm On Mar 27, 2017
komekn:

Add to that Ike Ugbo U18 striker for Chelsea.

What are your thought about Eze? How would you rate him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:10pm On Mar 27, 2017
We are saying the same thing basically..... in my reports post by post all put together.... na me flog Nacho pass.... I said Onazi was good before he left the pitch and even the matchdqy commentator said and I quote,"Onazi have been Nigeria's best player before Hus unfortunate injury"...

truth is Onazi was calm while others misplaced passes within the first 25 mins except Ndidi for the most parts...

I spoke about Kayode... and Hey! don't do that.. he missed a chance... wasn't his fault the ball came the way it did but a smarter striker would have tried converting that or going for it.... in all... Kayode was okay... and his ball for nacho that led to the penalty . just splendid...

And uhmmmm... Samuel Kalu have 5goals in all this season according to who scored... while Simon has 3... you got the other stats right... but plss dey reveal everything... not half and half just to make a subtly strong case for Simon...

And also... Kalu has done so in lesser time than Simon.

Both are very good... and Simon is the more experienced one but he can do better. He wasn't spectacular against Senegal. He only contributed more defensively.

Now..... I hear The Josh Maja and Aina I look forward to seeing soon did okay today... how true? because I am so glad Aina is in .... make we no dull for him switch abeg...
angry

Same for Odubajo(he is close to coming back from injury), Tammy (after u-20 WC), Ejaria (after u-20 WC), Lookman (after U-20 WC), onyedimma Fred, Etc.... make I stop here for now.... ((Solanke dey oooo.... before you come for my head... see him eyes... grin ))

forgiveness:

Are we not aiming for the top 5 or best in the world? grin

Nacho took set pieces after Simon Moses was substituted.

Nacho misplaced passes more....

Nacho is/was not comfortable playing as the striker... You can see he loves coming to the middle and wing.

Manchester City has underutilized his potentials so far.

To whom much is giving much is expected hence my unbiased and humble submission of his game.

Nacho is not a striker.

He is a s/s or attacking midfielder.

Seeing him moving around in that training tells it all.

How many goals has Kelechi scored as a striker for the Super Eagles? grin

I can authoritatively tell you he has been poor in that position so far.

Since, he has been poor in that position, he can never be considered as the best.

The reason Adi, Abraham, Kayode, Solanke etc should be tried to see if they can be better.

To be continued...

I am not trying to run Samuel down. Wait oooo,

How am I trying to run Samuel down?

Is because I said his final ball is poor?

It is true that his ball is indeed poor and I said the same about Simon.

So, what is my offence?

Moses has scored 3 goals with 4 assists eventhough he has played mostly as a LWB, inaddition to 3 assists in other matches.

Kalu has 2 goals and 3 assists in the league while he has 1 goal and an assist in other competitions. He played majorly as a winger.

Looking at both players, who will a coach go for? grin

Note; Kayode never missed any chance.

Nevertheless, Samuel should be given the chance to prove himself.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:30pm On Mar 27, 2017
tbaba1234:
One technical area that needs to be changed in the Super Eagles is the goalkeeping department. I am sure that I am not the only one seeing Akpeyi shaking and jittery... He flopped a ball again leading to the Senegalese goal. Emmanuel Daniel was much better than him in the Olympics and I am sure can do a better job if given a shot.

Just like Rohr is exploring for better players, so should the goalkeeping coaches. Ezenwa is not even the best in Nigeria. Akpeyi can still be on the team but not as second choice. This friendlies would have offered us a chance to see one new keeper. Ikeme is injury - prone and Enyeama is not ready to come back.

Think he needs to bring in Okpala/Ike shorunmu into the coaching staff. I don't know what Agu has been doing?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:44pm On Mar 27, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
We are saying the same thing basically..... in my reports post by post all put together.... na me flog Nacho pass.... I said Onazi was good before he left the pitch and even the matchdqy commentator said and I quote,"Onazi have been Nigeria's best player before Hus unfortunate injury"...

truth is Onazi was calm while others misplaced passes within the first 25 mins except Ndidi for the most parts...

I spoke about Kayode... and Hey! don't do that.. he missed a chance... wasn't his fault the ball came the way it did but a smarter striker would have tried converting that or going for it.... in all... Kayode was okay... and his ball for nacho that led to the penalty . just splendid...

And uhmmmm... Samuel Kalu have 5goals in all this season according to who scored... while Simon has 3... you got the other stats right... but plss dey reveal everything... not half and half just to make a subtly strong case for Simon...

And also... Kalu has done so in lesser time than Simon.

Both are very good... and Simon is the more experienced one but he can do better. He wasn't spectacular against Senegal. He only contributed more defensively.

Now..... I hear The Josh Maja and Aina I look forward to seeing soon did okay today... how true? because I am so glad Aina is in .... make we no dull for him switch abeg...
angry

Same for Odubajo(he is close to coming back from. injury), Tammy (after u-20 WC), Ejaria (after u-20 WC), Lookman (after U-20 WC), onyedimma Fred, Etc.... make I stop here for now.... ((Solanke dey oooo.... before you come for my head... see him eyes... grin ))

grin grin ok! Let us just move on. grin

Besides, Samuel only scored 3 goals for Gent this season. The other two goals was scored at Trecin.

Simon Moses plays as a LWB which is similar to what Victor Moses plays for Chelsea as RWB.

Kayode missing that chance is debatable because I repeated that part 5 times inorder to ascertain the situation. grin

Make just dey celebrate this boys that have agreed to play for us. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:49pm On Mar 27, 2017
According to the Independent, Nigeria has secured the services of

Ola Aina
Eberechi Eze
Fred Onyedinma
Josh Maja
Joe Aribo

@komekn

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ola-aina-chelsea-news-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:54pm On Mar 27, 2017
You know the other day.... I reported that Kayode scored a good goal that was well celebrated in camp before today's match.

Today again the lad has scored.... I am happy seeing this and more.

I wish I could get my hands on the full match video of Nigeria vs Nigeria.... I wanna see our future Fullback in Aina and Future Forward in Maja.... at least with Maja, Tammy and possibly a solanke coming in to compete with an osimhen who should be doing well for Wolfsburg (I hope) then Our attack will be smelling hot competition again.... and Nacho will now have to compete in the SS and AMF roles or RWF role (RWF role rarely comes up as we don't play 4-3-3 yet under Rohr).

Abeg.... Super Eagles don dey make sense now.... just couple of more quality additions and what a force we will be with time....

That top 5 dream is not tall at all.... just need to work towards it. smiley wink

forgiveness:

grin grin ok! Let us just move on. grin

Besides, Samuel only scored 3 goals for Gent this season. The other two goals was scored at Trecin.

Simon Moses plays as a LWB which is similar to what Victor Moses plays for Chelsea as RWB.

Kayode missing that chance is debatable because I repeated that part 5 times inorder to ascertain the situation. grin

Make just dey celebrate this boys that have agreed to play for us. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:57pm On Mar 27, 2017
Aina shared this on Instagram:

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 11:59pm On Mar 27, 2017
For the bolded... I am like this right now....
with Yara Yara and a few others

Abeg.... Sir Komekn.... Oya.... please Oga... you are invited to the high podium to give us indepth dossier on these As you are very familiar with the Nigerian talents in England... grin smiley

tbaba1234:
According to the Independent, Nigeria has secured the services of

Ola Aina
Eberechi Eze
Fred Onyedinma
Josh Maja
Joe Aribo

@komekn

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ola-aina-chelsea-news-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:13am On Mar 28, 2017
Good news all the way. Onyedima don pledge to play for Nigeria.... grin grin

Chelsea youngster Ola Aina 'persuaded' to represent Nigeria rather than England

The Nigerian Football Federation believes it has secured the international futures of five youngsters this week

The Nigeria Football Federation believes it has persuaded England under-20 international Ola Aina to represent them as part of a number of new English-born or English-raised recruits for the Super Eagles.

Nigeria have been based in Barnet for this international break, drawing 1-1 with Senegal on Thursday evening. They were due to play Burkina Faso on Monday night but that game was cancelled when the Burkinabe players could not secure visas.

More importantly, the NFF has been inviting English-based players to train with them, to introduce them to the squad and the staff, and believes it has secured the international futures of five youngsters this week. The NFF is keen to strengthen its squad with English-based players ahead of next year’s World Cup in Russia.

 Chelsea's36players out on loan

Ola Aina is the most famous name, the 20-year-old right back having made five senior appearances for Chelsea this season. Aina, who was born in south London, has represented England at under-16, u-17, u-18, u-19 and u-20 level. He won the last of his six England u-20 caps one year ago today, in an England team alongside Harry Winks and Marcus Rashford.

But Aina has been training with Nigeria in Barnet over the last few days, and has now decided that his international future lies with them. He is expected to be in the Nigeria squad for their next competitive game, a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, at home to South Africa on 9 June.

Eberechi Eze, the Queens Park Rangers 18-year-old who signed his first professional deal in January and made his debut this season has also been in training with the Nigeria squad on Sunday and Monday. He is expected to make a final decision soon as is thought to be strongly leaning towards choosing Nigeria.

Fred Onyedinma was not part of the Nigeria training camp having played for Millwall in their 1-0 defeat to Swindon Town on Saturday afternoon. But the 20-year-old, who was born in Lagos and moved to east London when he was three, is thought to be close to committing his future to Nigeria too. READ MORE

The NFF are also confident that they have secured the future of Josh Maja, the 18-year-old Sunderland forward, although he did not train with them this week, and Joe Aribo, the 20-year-old Charlton Athletic midfielder signed from Staines Town in 2015.

Recruiting players would represent a significant success for the NFF after persuading Alex Iwobi of Arsenal to play for them, after Iwobi had played for England up to Under-18s level. After the success of this week, the NFF will turn their attention to their next target, Everton winger Ademola Lookman. The 19-year-old, who played for England Under-20s against France on Saturday, was born in London to Nigerian parents but has not yet decided on his senior international future.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ola-aina-chelsea-news-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html%3Famp

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:15am On Mar 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
You know the other day.... I reported that Kayode scored a good goal that was well celebrated in camp before today's match.

Today again the lad has scored.... I am happy seeing this and more.

I wish I could get my hands on the full match video of Nigeria vs Nigeria.... I wanna see our future Fullback in Aina and Future Forward in Maja.... at least with Maja, Tammy and possibly a solanke coming in to compete with an osimhen who should be doing well for Wolfsburg (I hope) then Our attack will be smelling hot competition again.... and Nacho will now have to compete in the SS and AMF roles or RWF role (RWF role rarely comes up as we don't play 4-3-3 yet under Rohr).
grin

Abeg.... Super Eagles don dey make sense now.... just couple of more quality additions and what a force we will be with time....

That top 5 dream is not tall at all.... just need to work towards it. smiley wink

Abeg, if you eventually get the full match of Nigeria vs Nigeria, post am here. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:59am On Mar 28, 2017
You bet I will..... wink Just hope I can get a hold of it.... smiley

Abeg.... Yara Yara... send Sir Forgiveness the E-wine.... And tell Sir TheGoodJoe that Sir Forgiveness will be a "speical" guest in our E-guest home soon.... wink

Tell Sir TheGoodJoe to hide his legendary gloves.... abeg. grin

forgiveness:

Abeg, if you eventually get the full match of Nigeria vs Nigeria, post am here. Thanks
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:19am On Mar 28, 2017
Three Nigerians in Germany under 20 team.. Felix, Jordan, Iyoha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:25am On Mar 28, 2017

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:31am On Mar 28, 2017
With Rohr convincing them to cross the road is possible

tbaba1234:
Three Nigerians in Germany under 20 team.. Felix, Jordan, Iyoha

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:31am On Mar 28, 2017
Shocking, @ thegoodjoe guess who played leftback for the B team?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 1:40am On Mar 28, 2017
Welcome to SE @ aina and akpom

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:43am On Mar 28, 2017
Joebie:
With Rohr convincing them to cross the road is possible

We can not invite everyone. I am interested in the CBs though... We should have an under 21 team and move some of those interested there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 1:49am On Mar 28, 2017
These jerseys sef, Akpom is wearing shirt numbered 24 but shorts numbered 15. Lol. I know it wasn't planned but these are the haphazard arrangements the NFF make that make these players wonder "abi na mad men de run football for Nigeria". So NFF means they don't have 2 sets of fully numbered 25 jerseys in green and white. See Ebuehi sef, na polo and regular jersey em wear play match. It's just funny looking at it tho. These guys need to start getting used to the fire brigade approach.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:56am On Mar 28, 2017
Dedebanky85:
These jerseys sef, Akpom is wearing shirt numbered 24 but shorts numbered 15. Lol. I know it wasn't planned but these are the haphazard arrangements the NFF make that make these players wonder "abi na mad men de run football for Nigeria". So NFF means they don't have 2 sets of fully numbered 25 jerseys in green and white. See Ebuehi sef, na polo and regular jersey em wear play match. It's just funny looking at it tho. These guys need to start getting used to the fire brigade approach.

This is a training game.. They could as well have just worn bibs.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 2:03am On Mar 28, 2017
Then why did they bother going to play at the Barnet stadium? They might as well have played the game at their training ground.

tbaba1234:

This is a training game.. They could as well have just worn bibs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:09am On Mar 28, 2017
Dedebanky85:
Then why did they bother going to play at the Barnet stadium? They might as well have played the game at their training ground.

The stadium had already been booked, why not? It gave the coaches a chance to see new players. It does not make it an international friendly, it is still a training game.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 2:16am On Mar 28, 2017
Makes sense. However, I would have thought they'd still want to give it that friendly feel by doing everything right. What if people that bought tickets earlier still wanted to come and watch. I would assume it makes sense to come out properly dressed. But I get your logic though.

tbaba1234:

The stadium had already been booked, why not? It gave the coaches a chance to see new players. It does not make it an international friendly, it is still a training game.

(1) (2) (3) ... (719) (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 13 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.