Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,125 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:37 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (723) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11664446 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) (726) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 2:18am On Mar 28, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qb-5QWsCBvY

Senegal Vs CIV. Compare this game with the one against Naija. Almost same level of play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 2:24am On Mar 28, 2017
forgiveness:
Good news all the way. Onyedima don pledge to play for Nigeria.... grin grin

Chelsea youngster Ola Aina 'persuaded' to represent Nigeria rather than England

The Nigerian Football Federation believes it has secured the international futures of five youngsters this week

The Nigeria Football Federation believes it has persuaded England under-20 international Ola Aina to represent them as part of a number of new English-born or English-raised recruits for the Super Eagles.

Nigeria have been based in Barnet for this international break, drawing 1-1 with Senegal on Thursday evening. They were due to play Burkina Faso on Monday night but that game was cancelled when the Burkinabe players could not secure visas.

More importantly, the NFF has been inviting English-based players to train with them, to introduce them to the squad and the staff, and believes it has secured the international futures of five youngsters this week. The NFF is keen to strengthen its squad with English-based players ahead of next year’s World Cup in Russia.

 Chelsea's36players out on loan

Ola Aina is the most famous name, the 20-year-old right back having made five senior appearances for Chelsea this season. Aina, who was born in south London, has represented England at under-16, u-17, u-18, u-19 and u-20 level. He won the last of his six England u-20 caps one year ago today, in an England team alongside Harry Winks and Marcus Rashford.

But Aina has been training with Nigeria in Barnet over the last few days, and has now decided that his international future lies with them. He is expected to be in the Nigeria squad for their next competitive game, a 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifier, at home to South Africa on 9 June.

Eberechi Eze, the Queens Park Rangers 18-year-old who signed his first professional deal in January and made his debut this season has also been in training with the Nigeria squad on Sunday and Monday. He is expected to make a final decision soon as is thought to be strongly leaning towards choosing Nigeria.

Fred Onyedinma was not part of the Nigeria training camp having played for Millwall in their 1-0 defeat to Swindon Town on Saturday afternoon. But the 20-year-old, who was born in Lagos and moved to east London when he was three, is thought to be close to committing his future to Nigeria too. READ MORE

The NFF are also confident that they have secured the future of Josh Maja, the 18-year-old Sunderland forward, although he did not train with them this week, and Joe Aribo, the 20-year-old Charlton Athletic midfielder signed from Staines Town in 2015.

Recruiting players would represent a significant success for the NFF after persuading Alex Iwobi of Arsenal to play for them, after Iwobi had played for England up to Under-18s level. After the success of this week, the NFF will turn their attention to their next target, Everton winger Ademola Lookman. The 19-year-old, who played for England Under-20s against France on Saturday, was born in London to Nigerian parents but has not yet decided on his senior international future.

https://www.google.com.ng/amp/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ola-aina-chelsea-news-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html%3Famp
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 3:07am On Mar 28, 2017
forgiveness:

Then, why complain about Onazi? grin

because even when we are having great games he is always the weak spot. Plus we have better options. Joseph rightly pointed out that Ogu was just okay, nor extraordinary but okay, yet when he came in we balanced the play, that means Onazi wasn't okay, he was average(like he pointed out too). I don't know what else you want to hear
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28am On Mar 28, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
Shocking, @ thegoodjoe guess who played leftback for the B team?

Okay, you mean Nathan Oseni of Manchester City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:53am On Mar 28, 2017
Ola Aina and Dad.. Great conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUegKHiAWKc
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:06am On Mar 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
We are saying the same thing basically..... in my reports post by post all put together.... na me flog Nacho pass.... I said Onazi was good before he left the pitch and even the matchdqy commentator said and I quote,"Onazi have been Nigeria's best player before Hus unfortunate injury"...

truth is Onazi was calm while others misplaced passes within the first 25 mins except Ndidi for the most parts...

I spoke about Kayode... and Hey! don't do that.. he missed a chance... wasn't his fault the ball came the way it did but a smarter striker would have tried converting that or going for it.... in all... Kayode was okay... and his ball for nacho that led to the penalty . just splendid...

And uhmmmm... Samuel Kalu have 5goals in all this season according to who scored... while Simon has 3... you got the other stats right... but plss dey reveal everything... not half and half just to make a subtly strong case for Simon...

And also... Kalu has done so in lesser time than Simon.

Both are very good... and Simon is the more experienced one but he can do better. He wasn't spectacular against Senegal. He only contributed more defensively.

Now..... I hear The Josh Maja and Aina I look forward to seeing soon did okay today... how true? because I am so glad Aina is in .... make we no dull for him switch abeg...
angry

Same for Odubajo(he is close to coming back from injury), Tammy (after u-20 WC), Ejaria (after u-20 WC), Lookman (after U-20 WC), onyedimma Fred, Etc.... make I stop here for now.... ((Solanke dey oooo.... before you come for my head... see him eyes... grin ))

should solanke proposed move to Germany come through.... it will makes it quite easy for rohr to get convince him to play fr SE.

but I still prefer we go for Tammy first and I know capturing of Ola will help us do that

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:07am On Mar 28, 2017
whizola:
I don't think ibe we ever ave get an recall
please who need ibe in this team?
abeg he should play fr the 3 lions
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:09am On Mar 28, 2017
forgiveness:

Hahaha! Iorfa papa don dey wake up. grin

This match cancellation sweet oooooo. grin
just leave that man....
he has not seen anything yet...he thinks the SE is a dumping ground....let him and his son keep dreaming of 3 lions shirt

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 6:11am On Mar 28, 2017
tbaba1234:
Ola Aina and Dad.. Great conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUegKHiAWKc

Olaoluwa Aina smiley
Nice conversation with his dad
Yoruba man sef, him tongue don congeal no accent at all grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 6:46am On Mar 28, 2017
Humility017:

should solanke proposed move to Germany come through.... it will makes it quite easy for rohr to get convince him to play fr SE.

but I still prefer we go for Tammy first and I know capturing of Ola will help us do that
seconded.. That boy is something...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:05am On Mar 28, 2017
Dedebanky85:
@SG, maybe u got me wrong. I'm not even looking at CMR for now. Just focusing on the SA game cos that comes 1st. I believe we have the team to beat CMR. If I should jump the gun, maybe this team may beat CMR, but they'd have serious cohesion than us due to at least 3 guaranteed games at the confeds. So on the scale of that it's tough to predict the outcome of those double headers.

issokay
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:14am On Mar 28, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Okay, you mean Nathan Oseni of Manchester City.

Smh, u and this ur Man city sef....it was ur main man Juwon Oshaniwa if the report on complete sports is any thing to go by.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:21am On Mar 28, 2017
To the Goalkeeping department, I feel the NFF should mandate the technical crew of the Super Eagles to use the CHAN qualifiers to unearth some good young Goalkeepers in the League who will bring good competition to the likes of Akpeyi, Daniel and Ezenwa.

The Goalkeeping department seems to be the weekest link in the team and the options we have on ground are not rliable. I will be very surprised and upset if these same set of names are invited for the Chan tourney.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:30am On Mar 28, 2017
Has any one head about Akpan Udoh U20 Goalkeeper
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:39am On Mar 28, 2017
terzurum5:
To the Goalkeeping department, I feel the NFF should mandate the technical crew of the Super Eagles to use the CHAN qualifiers to unearth some good young Goalkeepers in the League who will bring good competition to the likes of Akpeyi, Daniel and Ezenwa.

The Goalkeeping department seems to be the weekest link in the team and the options we have on ground are not rliable. I will be very surprised and upset if these same set of names are invited for the Chan tourney.
only Ezenwa is home-based of those 3

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:45am On Mar 28, 2017
Opposition Watch:-

AF South Africa 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa Guinea-Bissau
Carde: Guinea-Bissau did their best against 'strong' South Africa

Jose Lopes of Guinea Bissau

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Guinea-Bissau coach Baciro Carde says they knew what to expect from South Africa's Bafana Bafana in an international friendly match in Durban on Saturday.

Abdulai Djalo Balde scored the African Wild Dogs' consolation goal as they were beaten 3-1 by Bafana at the Moses Mabhida Stadium.

"When we came here, we knew that we were coming to face a good team, with good players, and even the history of Bafana Bafana shows that," Cande said on KickOff.com.

"But we knew were coming to play against a team stronger [than us], and we couldn't take them lightly, but we did our best and are glad [with our performance].

"In my personal opinion, I believe we did our best but that's how the game went. The way I see it, I thought maybe we should have left here with a 2-2 [result]," he added.

"But, be that as it may, it's okay, I'm not blaming the referee or anyone, it's just my opinion."

Guinea-Bissau participated in the recent 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) finals in Gabon. They were making their debut appearance in the finals.

africanfootball.com/news/697654/Carde-Guinea-Bissau-did-their-best-against-strong-South-Africa
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:58am On Mar 28, 2017
terzurum5:
Has any one head about Akpan Udoh U20 Goalkeeper

we've always had fantastic goalkeepers at youth level, by always I mean ALWAYS. From Vanzekin to Ajiboye to Dami Paul to this new boy in portugal. But the problem is where and how to develop them. No team can have more than 4 goalkeepers at a time, and even then only 2 will be getting good play time. So I believe it's time we abandon the foreign leagues and look into our local leagues. If we can't then I have to jump back into the 'call-back-Enyeama' train, he still has 5 solid years to give to us so no harm done. But our league should be our main provider

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:18am On Mar 28, 2017
Dedebanky85:
Initial analysis was on the negatives. On the positives,

Echejile is not giving up that his shirt anytime soon. I don't care if Ola Aina and co come, they'll find out that Elderson may just be a bit much to displace. Very good but underrated player. It seems the only 2 break out stars from that his 2007 under 20 set are degradingly underrated - Efe Ambrose being the other.

Ndidi is one hell of a player. That his octopus leg gives him great advantage. Biased somebori said Idrissa Gana outshine him, I can't recall Naija playing another game with Senegal. Cos the one I watched Ndidi outperformed Idrissa and this is not me being sentimental. Ogu was alright nothing extraordinariè. I was impressed with Success and Kayode. Their movement offered more options in our attack, hence the very enthralling last 8 mins of the game. Kayode may not even be considered as a 9 as most are assuming. Rohr may just use him in the wings due to his speed.

It is very positive to see the intent to play friendlies, but NFF needs to do better with regards to planning. I know Burkina caused d cancellation of the friendlies, but to think that some of our own lauretta missed due to visa shows lack of planning. I may be wrong, but I was under the assumption that the FA makes special arrangements with regards collective Visa approval by obtaining the players Passport ahead of time to apply for the visa at the respective consular. For the past 5 months I've been noticing that it seems like the players go solo in obtaining these passports. If it's the latter then NFF needs to make special expediting arrangements so that these players face no delays. Or better still have the players attempt to collect these visas a month ahead of the game.

I like the objectivity in ur write up.

Just to add to the bolded. Brown Ideye is another member of the 2007 U20.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:22am On Mar 28, 2017
safarigirl:
only Ezenwa is home-based of those 3
Ooooo my bad I just wonder what I was thinking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:24am On Mar 28, 2017
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa
Green: NFF not to blame for match cancellation

Yacine BRAHIMI of Algeria challenged by Alexander IWOBI of Nigeria during the Russia 2018 World Cup Qualifier match between Nigeria vs Algeria on November, 12th 2016 at Godswill Akpabio Stadium ©Kabiru Abubakar//Backpagepix

by Austin Ditlhobolo

The international friendly match between Nigeria and Burkina Faso which was scheduled to take place in London on Monday, England has been called off.

This is after Burkinabe contingent failed to secure entry visas into the United Kingdom. The match was scheduled to be played at the Hive Stadium.

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) technical and development committee Barrister Chris Green confirmed the news on thenff.com.

“We regret to announce that the second friendly match we had scheduled for the Super Eagles as part of preparations for the remaining matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series and the beginning of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualification race would no longer take place on Monday, 27th March 2017," Green said.

“The match in question is called off due to no fault of either the organizers or the Nigeria Football Federation.

"We will announce further plans for the Super Eagles’ preparation for these two important qualifying campaigns in due course.”

Nigeria played to a 1-1 stalemate with Senegal in an international friendly match which was played at the Hive Stadium in London on Thursday night.

africanfootball.com/news/697615/Green-NFF-not-to-blame-for-match-cancellation
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:28am On Mar 28, 2017
whizola:
Arsenal youngster Chuba Akpom trained with the @NGSuperEagles alongside Ola Aina of Chelsea, Maja of Sunderland and Ebere Eze of QPR.

Good seeing this duo in Super Eagles Jerseys.

Home is home.

But no automatic shirts o.

If they meet they standards good, else no room.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adrainuche(m): 8:28am On Mar 28, 2017
I watched the match this morning such woefull performance they couldnt even string 5 to 6 passes throughout the entire game ... Ihenacho had chances during the first half couldnt convert.. Musa what a lad smh.. poor balogun and troost the oyinbo wall wasnt so good they couldnt play from the back due to high pressure from the senegalese team .. Akpeyi ridiculous simon nowhere to be found ndidi was the only good thing in that match, john ogu fairly okay .. Etebo issac and kayode dint have so much time in the game enough to rate them ... I dont get why umeruo plays right back let shehu play RB hes way better than umeruo .. Echiejele just as poor this is Nigeria worst match have watched from begining to end it was really really bad i mean poor .. As for iwobi he sums it all up just as bad .. I just hope mikel moses are back we really need them in the team ... Iwobi should sit on the bench next time and musa as well please rihr should invite Adi hes in banging form and play ihenacho as a ss ...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:30am On Mar 28, 2017
Kayode and Iheanacho Scores as Eagle’s Team ‘A’ and ‘B’ Draw in Practice Game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:31am On Mar 28, 2017
The match was played in place of a botched friendly against Burkina Faso at the same venue after seven Stallions players failed to secure entry visas to fly into the United Kingdom. The game ended 1-1 with Kelechi Iheanacho and Kayode Olanrewaju on target for both sides. Stand-in skipper Ogenyi Onazi led a Team ‘A’ side comprising of Daniel Akpeyi, Leon Balogun, Ola Aina, William-Troost Ekong, Elderson Echiejile, Wilfred Ndidi, Oghenekaro Etebo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Moses Simon, Alex Iwobi. The Team ‘B’ side captained by Kenneth Omeruo had Ikechukwu Ezenwa in goal, Tyronne Ebuehi at right-back, Chidozie Awaziem, Juwon Oshaniwa at left-back, Shehu Abudulahi, John Ogu in central midfield, Kayode Olanrewaju, Isaac Success, Ebere Eze. According to Super Eagles media officer of the team, Toyin Ibitoye, the game was a good test for the squad. He also told Completesportsnigeria.com from the team’s camp in London that the players were excited to represent the country at international level. Ibitoye also added that several foreign-born players of Nigerian descent are eager to play for the Super Eagles. “The mood in camp is awesome and the players coming in for the first time are fully committed to representing Nigeria at the international level so it’s a good omen for the team,” Ibitoye reports.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:33am On Mar 28, 2017
Mickael2:

we've always had fantastic goalkeepers at youth level, by always I mean ALWAYS. From Vanzekin to Ajiboye to Dami Paul to this new boy in portugal. But the problem is where and how to develop them. No team can have more than 4 goalkeepers at a time, and even then only 2 will be getting good play time. So I believe it's time we abandon the foreign leagues and look into our local leagues. If we can't then I have to jump back into the 'call-back-Enyeama' train, he still has 5 solid years to give to us so no harm done. But our league should be our main provider

I don't see the big fuss about goalkeepers. I guess people need stuff to talhk about. If we are looking for a perfect keeper he will not be found. The same Enyeama we are clamouring for made the same mistakes at the world cup. We are also forgeting that Akpeyi jumped right off the plane into that match. I personally think he did a good job and has a future with the Super Eagles. This is a guy who has already played against Egypt in Egypt, South Africa in South Africa, Algeria in Uyo and now Senegal in London. While only conceeding 4 goals in 4.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:35am On Mar 28, 2017
tbaba1234:
Akpom and Aina....

This Pinnick head sef. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:45am On Mar 28, 2017
Icon4s:

This Pinnick head sef. grin
lol, azzin, na wetin me sef talk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:51am On Mar 28, 2017
terzurum5:
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers - Africa
Green: NFF not to blame for match cancellation

Yacine BRAHIMI of Algeria challenged by Alexander IWOBI of Nigeria during the Russia 2018 World Cup Qualifier match between Nigeria vs Algeria on November, 12th 2016 at Godswill Akpabio Stadium ©Kabiru Abubakar//Backpagepix

by Austin Ditlhobolo

The international friendly match between Nigeria and Burkina Faso which was scheduled to take place in London on Monday, England has been called off.

This is after Burkinabe contingent failed to secure entry visas into the United Kingdom. The match was scheduled to be played at the Hive Stadium.

The Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) technical and development committee Barrister Chris Green confirmed the news on thenff.com.

“We regret to announce that the second friendly match we had scheduled for the Super Eagles as part of preparations for the remaining matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying series and the beginning of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualification race would no longer take place on Monday, 27th March 2017," Green said.

“The match in question is called off due to no fault of either the organizers or the Nigeria Football Federation.

"We will announce further plans for the Super Eagles’ preparation for these two important qualifying campaigns in due course.”

Nigeria played to a 1-1 stalemate with Senegal in an international friendly match which was played at the Hive Stadium in London on Thursday night.

africanfootball.com/news/697615/Green-NFF-not-to-blame-for-match-cancellation

Who do I blame? before the match all the British media put out was that Senegal and Nigeria could not sell out a 5000 capacity stadium but after the match our boys were treated like rock stars. The majority who ran on the pitch were not Nigerians but British. I only see them not handing out those visas as a case of bad belle. They feel us coming, by us i mean Africa. Burkina Faso V Nigeria would have done nothing but improve the brand of African football.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:59am On Mar 28, 2017
Wilfred Ndidi's incredible assist from centre-back led him to become a Premier League star

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/GOAL/94/99/wilfred-ndidiwilfred-ndidi_1xqx6pnq81x6p1bxxsqnto5wpk.jpg?t=-1700755878&w=620&h=430[/img]

The Nigeria international almost fell out of the game, but one moment of magic convinced scouts to invite him for a trial in Europe.

EXCLUSIVE

Wilfred Ndidi has become an important player for both Leicester City and Nigeria, but he could have ended up not making it in the professional game, if it wasn't for a moment of inspiration during his youth career.

Inside Pogba's mansion
The 20-year-old recently completed a £17 million move from Genk to Leicester City in January and he has since gone onto vindicate his decision to stay in football, despite being told by his father that he would be better off studying.

Ndidi, who is currently away with the Nigeria national team, revealed that he was the only one of 500 boys to be invited for a trial at Genk, who sent scouts to watch a Nigerian football tournament. As a central defender, it took an impressive assist, rather than a goal, to earn him his call up to play in Belgian first division.

"I didn’t score [to impress Genk], I was actually playing in central defence," Ndidi toldGoal. "I was told not to play long balls, so I just made a one-two and another one-two and then I gave a pass, made an assist.

"It was important because we were an academy, we played a team from the Nigerian Premier League [and we were only an academy], 3SC Shooting Stars, who were winning 1-0. I gave that pass and it made it 1-1.

"I was the only one selected out of 40 teams, 500 players. I had to go and do trials in Genk after that. Then I did the trials in Genk, After a year, they gave me a contract.

"It was difficult [coming to Europe] but I stayed with a family who tried to make me feel like I was at home. It was the time of the trial. So when I came home every day I felt like part of the family, it felt like home and made it easier."

Nigeria suffered disappointment by missing out on the African Cup of Nations qualification, but are hoping to rectify it by qualifying for the World Cup using a young squad that includes Ndidi.

Arsenal's Alex Iwobi and Manchester City's Kelechi Iheanacho are just two more young stars that Nigeria boss Gernot Rohr is looking to, while Ndidi is positive about his inclusion within the Nigeria set up.

"I always wanted to play for my country. I feel good, I feel so much fun in the national team," Added Ndidi. "I like seeing my friends and I feel good here but I never see myself as a very important player.

"I have always said to myself, anywhere I go, I can be replaced. So I just try to keep doing my very best. Keep focused. [The squad] have a lot in common. There’s a lot of guys around the team who are my ages so communication is easy.

Alex Iwobi getting mobbed for selfies after Nigeria's game against Senegal last night. (video @NizaarKinsella) pic.twitter.com/rDgDRYlApj— Chris Wheatley (@ChrisWheatley_) 24 March 2017

"[Iwobi and Kelechi] have lots of strengths and play good football, you know, because of where they play and their experience. They have experience in Arsenal and City which is good for the country. They have a lot of skills and the future is good [for Nigeria]."

"I don’t think about the World Cup, I just feel we need to take every game as it is. That’s important. Fight for every point that we need, that way we can improve where we stand in the qualifiers and get to the World Cup.

"I have played in the junior World Cup, so I have that feeling about how the World Cup might look. I know the senior World Cup will be much more big. It would be good to feel that."

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/4071/premier-league/2017/03/28/34069762/wilfred-ndidis-incredible-assist-from-centre-back-led-him-to
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:00am On Mar 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

What are your thought about Eze? How would you rate him?

I have seen a lot of U23 games but predominantly premiership sides. There are a few Championship sides that have been very consistent over the years. In this regard Reading and Fulham stand out and particularly Fulham will compete with top premiership academies and beat them.

Then you have a number of premiership academies particularly the recent entrants to the premiership and some have just got Category 1 status which is more related to infrastructure than performance. QPR is not an academy I rate highly.

I do rate Chris Ramsey I knew him at Tottenham alongside Ehiogu and Ferdinand when they ran the U18's then. Chris and Ferdinand are both at QPR but they are not running recruitment.

I have not seen Eze play or heard anything exceptional about him, he cam from Millwall,that's a problem. Usually when a player is making waves the word get out.

With a lot if clubs there is protectionism and over marketing. In that they want to market a player and make big killing. In this regard if he us good enough even at age 15 he will play first team.

If any of these players have not played first team for thier clubs I will have serious doubts. However, that's not always the complete story he could be sidestepped for other reasons beyond football. Nonetheless the less if he has scored 3 Hatricks in the U23's he cannot be sidestepped. Also Eze must be a regular in the U23's as well not 18's. Also remember Holloway was former Manager at Millwall and that's the reason Eze was brought in relationship.

Compared to Fulham they are not in the same level cat all. Ryan Ssegnon is 16 had been playing first team since last year, is a left fullback and scored two goals against Newcastle. Ibe played first team at 15, Oyedinma at 17, Iorfa same thing also Ojo has played first team.

Fulham probably have half a dozen players or more of Nigerian origin that have either played for England youth, and or first team or very close to it.

Trying to pick Nigerian origin youth players from the English system would require me to be comprehensive at least 6 month of additional games and video footage and then you can start putting a preliminary list of 20+ potential player to be further assessed. If there is no time then I would look at those in top teams or have played first team football already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:03am On Mar 28, 2017
Mickael2:

Comments like this though.... undecided

That aside, I hope you have not forgotten that Daniel Akpeyi and Ikechukwu Ezenwa are products of our youths system.

So you cannot say our youths goalies have not been progressing to the Super Eagles.

As you rightly said, teams typically have 3 goalie and may be just abt 2 are typically involved in game action. Look at the number of teams in the NPFL and multiply by the 2 goalies. Meaning just 40 goalies in the NPFL exposed to league football. Even if you multiply by 3 goalies it is 60. Not including the lower divisions.

Now, every 2 years we produce 3 goalies from the U17 and 3 from the U20.

Some of the goalies that kept goal since way back 2005 at youth level are still in active service. Calculate from then till now how many goalies our youths system would have produced.

Now also you must recall that majority of the goalies in the NPFL never got to play in any of our youths team.

So you see how difficult it is for goalie to break through?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:06am On Mar 28, 2017
tbaba1234:
According to the Independent, Nigeria has secured the services of

Ola Aina
Eberechi Eze
Fred Onyedinma
Josh Maja
Joe Aribo

@komekn

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/ola-aina-chelsea-news-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html

The only two I rate for Eagles standard are Ola Aina and Onyedinma.

But football is about opportunity sometimes someone comes from nowhere and seize opportunity, so let's see.

The question I would be asking on what basis where the other three selected.

(1) (2) (3) ... (720) (721) (722) (723) (724) (725) (726) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: waffiboi, toluxe0075 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.