Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,244 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:26 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (726) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11720288 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (723) (724) (725) (726) (727) (728) (729) ... (16166) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:30pm On Mar 28, 2017
That is why when Ogu came in, he interpreted the role a little better than Onazi.... I did say that on matchday.

For that period of 25mins before Onazi left, we were mostly on the Blackfoot and Onazi did the best he could. He was our shining light in that period alongside Ndidi.

So I get both your points and that of Forgiveness. smiley

Mine is this: Onazi wasn't average in that match. He was well above average until he left.

Ogu is good when we are knocking the ball around and playing our possessive football. But Onazi is better at Breaking up opponent's plays and providing steel when we are on the backfoot... He can pass also but Ogu trumps him in the passing game .

Mickael2:

You still don't understand me. He was everywhere in the middle doing what? Destroying!!! Not linking up play. If we were playing a box to box destroyer then Onazi ticks the box, but he was supposed to be linking up the midfield which he wasn't! That's what I was explaining since that match day, Onazi was playing as a DMF in that CMF position, you look at it and he may appear as if he was doing great because you are used to seeing him as a DMF, compare what he was doing with what Etebo was doing against Algeria and you will see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 4:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
Exclusive – List Of Five More England Youth Internationals On The Verge Of Switching To Nigeria

Following the successful capture of Chuba Akpom, Ola Aina, Ebere Eze and Josh Maja, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has set it’s sight on snaring more players from the English youth set up eligible for Nigeria at senior level.

Owngoalnigeria.com can exclusively reveal that five Anglo Nigerian players have been approached by the NFF, with discussions set to be at an advanced stage.

Millwall’s highly rated midfielder Fred Onyedinma has given his words to officials of the NFF about his commitment to the Super Eagles and only missed training with the team due to Club engagement as he played in his team 0-1 loss to Swindon on Saturday.

On loan Chelsea forward Tammy Abraham was not involved in the training session as the Bristol City man is yet to reach full fitness after returning from an injury that kept him out for close to a month.

Everton’s Ademola Lookman is yet to decide on his international future, but a staff of the NFF revealed to Owngoalnigeria.com that Lookman will most likely switch to Nigeria after the European U-21 tournament later in the year.

Also on the NFF list is Wolverhampton Wanderers defender Dominic Iorfa Jnr who met with coach Gernot Rohr during his visit to see Carl Ikeme, and gave his words to the German coach of the Nigerian team that he will team up with Nigeria in the summer.

20 year old Charlton Athletic midfielder Joe Aribo who moved to the League one side from Staines Town in 2015 has also had contact with the NFF, and Owngoalnigeria.com can report that he has made himself available if called up by the handlers of the Nigerian team.

*Michael James writes in from London

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/28/exclusive-list-of-five-more-england-youth-internationals-on-the-verge-of-switching-to-nigeria/

cc: Komekn, Forgiveness....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2017
Juwon Oshaniwa Shows Off To Gernot Rohr In Eagles Training In London, Eyes Eagles Return

Out of favour Super Eagles defender Juwon Oshaniwa was among the players coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr handed a late call up to join his team in training.

The Super Eagles were scheduled to play Burkina Faso in a test game in London but the game was called off due to logistics bothering on the Burkinabes securing visas for the game.

A test game involving the players was organised by Rohr, with the players divided into Team A and Team B, and Oshaniwa played for Team B captained by Kenneth Omeruo.

Oshaniwa who was part of Nigeria’s squad to the last World Cup was on for the entire duration of the game and gave a good impression of himself, despite his lack of game time at Scottish side Hearts.

The 27 year old former Sharks of Porthacourt defender is eyeing the left back spot of the team, which Elderson Echiejile presently enjoys the favour of coach Rohr.

* Daniel Martins

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/28/juwon-oshaniwa-shows-off-to-gernot-rohr-in-eagles-training-in-london-eyes-eagles-return/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:06pm On Mar 28, 2017
It's never by force Sir Southgate. NFF no force them..They will feel more proud to represent Nigeria.

English national team will always be an underachiever

TheSuperNerd:
Nigerian Players With Dual Nationality Aina, Akpom, Ejaria Will Not Be Forced To Represent England

England coach Gareth Southgate has insisted that he won’t force players who have dual nationality to represent the Three Lions, stating that they should be honoured to wear the England jersey without persuasion.

In the last few days, the Nigeria Football Federation have held talks with Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom, Chelsea defender Ola Aina, Sunderland’s Josh Maja and QPR starlet Eze over committing their international future to the Super Eagles, while the progress of Ovie Ejaria at Liverpool is being monitored.

And it appears the leadership of the Federation was successful in the approach, with Akpom, Aina and Eze training with the national team in London this week.

“In the end I have to focus on players who are desperate to play for England. I’m not aware those sorts of players are wanting to play for England or not really..., ” Southgate said.

“I didn’t get capped until I was 25 and I had no interest in playing for anyone else. I’m English and proud to be English and I think part of your identity as a national team has to be pride in the shirt.

“So for me the commitment has to come from the player.”
Everton’s Ross Barkley and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli were eligible to play for the Super Eagles before they became cap-tied to England.

**Igho Kingsley

Photo Credit : thenff.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22529
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:25pm On Mar 28, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Barca nko?
My brother u sabi how to make person smile o. Why not.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2017
Sometimes I wonder if we get points in life for just making criticisms.. lol
Let's look at the positives of the get-together friendly or whatever you want to call it. Burkina Faso friendly was cancelled.. and so be it

tbaba1234:

The stadium had already been booked, why not? It gave the coaches a chance to see new players. It does not make it an international friendly, it is still a training game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:39pm On Mar 28, 2017
It's very hard to please everyone. As for me, I hardly complain when things are going right. Criticisms should be meant to correct a flaw, not just for the sake of talking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:31pm On Mar 28, 2017
Elders in da house ,
plz does ROSS BARKLEY of EVERTON had Nigerian root
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:34pm On Mar 28, 2017
Orkpekyandega:
Juwon Oshaniwa Shows Off To Gernot Rohr In Eagles Training In London, Eyes Eagles Return

Out of favour Super Eagles defender Juwon Oshaniwa was among the players coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr handed a late call up to join his team in training.

The Super Eagles were scheduled to play Burkina Faso in a test game in London but the game was called off due to logistics bothering on the Burkinabes securing visas for the game.

A test game involving the players was organised by Rohr, with the players divided into Team A and Team B, and Oshaniwa played for Team B captained by Kenneth Omeruo.

Oshaniwa who was part of Nigeria’s squad to the last World Cup was on for the entire duration of the game and gave a good impression of himself, despite his lack of game time at Scottish side Hearts.

The 27 year old former Sharks of Porthacourt defender is eyeing the left back spot of the team, which Elderson Echiejile presently enjoys the favour of coach Rohr.

* Daniel Martins

owngoalnigeria.com/2017/03/28/juwon-oshaniwa-shows-off-to-gernot-rohr-in-eagles-training-in-london-eyes-eagles-return/

CC: TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 6:35pm On Mar 28, 2017
shouldnt rohr give a look into monteplier goal keeper jonathan ligali he has only bn capped @youth level by france
oliseh was once interested in d guy. It wouldnt b bad if we gv him a chance especially in this goal keeping crisis we are in.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:38pm On Mar 28, 2017
do4luv14:
Elders in da house ,

Yes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 6:46pm On Mar 28, 2017
tbaba1234:

Yes

plz shed enlighten me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Nigerian Players With Dual Nationality Aina, Akpom, Ejaria Will Not Be Forced To Represent England

England coach Gareth Southgate has insisted that he won’t force players who have dual nationality to represent the Three Lions, stating that they should be honoured to wear the England jersey without persuasion.

In the last few days, the Nigeria Football Federation have held talks with Arsenal striker Chuba Akpom, Chelsea defender Ola Aina, Sunderland’s Josh Maja and QPR starlet Eze over committing their international future to the Super Eagles, while the progress of Ovie Ejaria at Liverpool is being monitored.

And it appears the leadership of the Federation was successful in the approach, with Akpom, Aina and Eze training with the national team in London this week.

“In the end I have to focus on players who are desperate to play for England. I’m not aware those sorts of players are wanting to play for England or not really..., ” Southgate said.

“I didn’t get capped until I was 25 and I had no interest in playing for anyone else. I’m English and proud to be English and I think part of your identity as a national team has to be pride in the shirt.

“So for me the commitment has to come from the player.”
Everton’s Ross Barkley and Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Dele Alli were eligible to play for the Super Eagles before they became cap-tied to England.

**Igho Kingsley

Photo Credit : thenff.com

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22529
this Mr southgate need to go lick stew somewhere... who is forcing them play for Nigeria... may be he never knew of agbonlahor and ameobi, even fashanu that waited for eternity
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:55pm On Mar 28, 2017
do4luv14:
Elders in da house ,
he qualified to play for Nigeria through his paternal grandfather... from awka ibom state
he had to change his last name...to his maternal name...reason because he wasn't too close to his father...that's probably made many never knew he had Nigerian roots...
he admitted he is qualified to play for Nigeria and the 3 lions when he was 19

will try post the link for you if I can

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:57pm On Mar 28, 2017
maidaboi:
komehn and forgiveness this one nkor?

Will you see anybody playing in league 1 or 2 possibly very rarely, 1 or 2 players from Championship being invited to the England camp. There is a reason for that Quality.

However, that not withstanding the politics of player recruitment does not always mean the best players progress.

Nigeria is not a kick and rush team, technique and skill are not something taught at most academies to the level we know.

So not all Nigerian origin players irrespective of club or league have the technical ability we expect. So not every player will fit the remit for Nigeria. I have said this before.

Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham. will probably have near thirty players of Nigerian origin in thier youth ranks 16 and upwards alone. Is that the first place to look not necessarily.

We need players who have played at least a season of competitive football from league 1 at least upwards consideration for League 2 if they are exceptional.

But to assess players of Nigerian origin in the UK is in itself a full time job. It is no exaggeration to say there are over 500 players of Nigerian origin in the league system from League 2 upwards. So to you avoid, "who no man" and agent manipulation you would need to set up a team to do the job properly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:31pm On Mar 28, 2017
Over to Agu. His job is also to make recommendations to Rohr, not just train keeprs invited.

Pretty bad stats maybe due to the only match he has played.
https://www.whoscored.com/Players/92514/Show/Jonathan-Ligali

pyrex23:
shouldnt rohr give a look into monteplier goal keeper jonathan ligali he has only bn capped @youth level by france
oliseh was once interested in d guy. It wouldnt b bad if we gv him a chance especially in this goal keeping crisis we are in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:32pm On Mar 28, 2017
I have mentioned this same lad on this thread a couple of times many pages ago.

Jonathan Kigali is Nigerian..... but was born in Benin republic. Not many know this.

pyrex23:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:34pm On Mar 28, 2017
Why u no go smile when Barca na ya club grin
Abeg commot for here joor..... grin

BascoVanVeli:

My brother u sabi how to make person smile o. Why not.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 7:37pm On Mar 28, 2017
do4luv14:
Elders in da house ,
yaasssss. his grandfather is a Nigerian who goes by the name Peter effanga

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:41pm On Mar 28, 2017
Nigeria follows Ghana in avoiding London for future friendly matches

Nigeria have joined Ghana in avoiding friendly internationals in London in future because of stringent visa requirements for the United Kingdom.

The Super Eagles will join the Black Stars in playing their subsequent friendlies in Schengen states which provides flexible ways in acquiring visas for sides playing friendlies in their countries.

The decision was reached by the Nigeria Football Federation after the country’s game against Burkina Faso scheduled for Monday in London was canceled because of delays in visas.

Nigeria are following the footsteps of Ghana who had previously used London as their base but visa delays and the expensive nature of hosting the matches in the English capital have resulted in the Black Stars opting for French cities.

Burkina Faso, the third-placed finisher at the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations, had been expected to provide stiff opposition for Gernot Rohr’s team as it builds towards FIFA 2018 World Cup qualifiers in August and September against Cameroon.

But seven Burkina Faso players failed to secure visas so Nigeria held a training game among its own squad at The Hive, home of English League Two club Barnet.

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr claims the Super Eagles will avoid future friendly internationals in London.

“Yes, yes, because it’s too complicated to get the visas, you know,” Rohr, 63, told Empowersmag.com when asked after the training game if Nigeria could stay away from friendlies in the U.K. in future.

“I think it’s better to stay in Schengen, in Europe than go to London where the people have problems. Even some players in our team couldn’t come, you know. They didn’t get the visa in time.”

Rohr pointed out the positive aspects of Nigeria’s short trip to London, though, noting that the training exercise had allowed him to make a fuller evaluation of his squad.

“We tried to find another team but it was too late,” the German said. “We had one very good game against a Senegal team [that was] so strong, so powerful, we learned a lot. Now we look forwards to our next games.

“The second game, between us, I could see everybody,” Rohr added. “Some players need to play because they don’t play all the time at their clubs. It was an opportunity for them.”

The strange situation allowed Rohr to see several of his star forwards at once, with Kelechi Iheanacho of Manchester City and Alex Iwobi of Arsenal lining up against Watford’s record signing Isaac Success, who made his debut against Senegal on Thursday.

Source: http://mobile.ghanasoccernet.com/nigeria-follows-ghana-in-avoiding-london-for-future-friendly-matches

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:45pm On Mar 28, 2017

Algeria ’ s Feghouli Admits Beating Nigeria To Russia 2018 Ticket Is “Difficult ”

By James Agberebi

Algeria and West Ham midfielder Sofiane Feghouli admits it will be difficult for the Desert Foxes to qualify for the 2018 FIFA World Cup ahead of Nigeria, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Algeria are currently bottom of African qualifying Group B on just one point, five points behind group leaders Nigeria.
Reigning African champions Cameroon are second on two points, while Zambia are third with just a point.

“I think the World Cup is the very best competition in terms of the feelings and emotions that it generates,” Feghouli told West Ham official website on Tuesday.

“If you haven't played in it, you can't know exactly what it means. I was lucky enough to play in it in 2014 and Algeria played very well. It was a dream come true for millions of Algerians and we made history by reaching the last 16 for the first time.

“We played a historic tie against Germany in which we were on the verge of knocking them out. I was very happy and proud to take part in that incredible adventure.

“I'd like to play in it again in 2018, although it will be very difficult to qualify.”

At the 2017 AFCON in Gabon, Algeria crashed out in the first round.

Source: http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/algerias-feghouli-admits-beating-nigeria-russia-2018-ticket-difficult/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Why u no go smile when Barca na ya club grin

Abeg commot for here joor..... grin

Lol why na? It is for the good of the nation be a patriot. But my brother it is serious o. I need a Nigerian in my club so bad its crazy, I can't keep on dwelling on the fact that Amunike played there, I need one of our guys in there. Ndidi's signing would be more of a long term project but I can totally see him replacing Sergio Busquets.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:49pm On Mar 28, 2017
Leicester City Rising Star Ndidi Wows Chelsea Loanee Omeruo In Eagles Camp

Chelsea loanee Kenneth Omeruo was impressed with Leicester City defensive midfielder Wilfred Ndidi during the Nigerian national team get-together in London.

The ex-Nigeria U20 defender has publicly admitted his admiration for Ndidi, but the fact is that he set tongues wagging over his performance against Senegal last Thursday, with the Nigerian Football Federation naming him Man of the Match.

Omeruo has advised his Super Eagles teammate not to rest on his laurels as he aims to become a better player.

“#nigeriasupereagles #london #omeruo keep doing great things my brother @ndidi25,” Omeruo posted on Instagram.

A product of Nath Boys, Ndidi has recorded seven appearances for the Super Eagles since debuting against Democratic Republic of Congo in October 2015.

The international friendly against the Teranga Lions was his 50th appearance of the season for club and country.

**Igho Kingsley

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22531

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:58pm On Mar 28, 2017
Icon4s:

CC: TheGoodJoe.

I told him about that earlier and i have not heard from him since. Maybe he broke his phone celebrating

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:18pm On Mar 28, 2017
Hmmmmm.... wow! Ndidi for Busquets.... ?

Well.... For The Super Eagles Sake I really hope Ndidi blossoms into a super world class midfield player akin to Busquets too.... but more than anything... I want him to Be Ndidi... to be his own person and forge his own identity.

I understand your desires shaa.... wink It's been a while A Nigerian dorned Barca's jersey in the main team.

But I also when A Nigerian will dorn Real madrid's Jersey and be a super regular there too. sad

Meanwhile.... I will mark your words.... Ndidi for Busquets... hmmm.... well... time will tell... but I have no doubts that Ndidi will become a super top class player in his role and more.

BascoVanVeli:

Lol why na? It is for the good of the nation be a patriot. But my brother it is serious o. I need a Nigerian in my club so bad its crazy, I can't keep on dwelling on the fact that Amunike played there, I need one of our guys in there. Ndidi's signing would be more of a long term project but I can totally see him replacing Sergio Busquets.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:19pm On Mar 28, 2017
Don't let TheGoodJoe throw you one of his legendary jabs ooooo..... grin

looollll.....

BascoVanVeli:

I told him about that earlier and i have not heard from him since. Maybe he broke his phone celebrating
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 9:04pm On Mar 28, 2017
pyrex23:

I doubt this Ligali boy has any Nigerian root.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 9:26pm On Mar 28, 2017
International Friendly:

Cameroon 1 - 2 Guinea

cc:Icon4s - True talk about match-day form being what matters

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 9:27pm On Mar 28, 2017
This goalkeeping issue is serious oo well i recommend some solutions.
Austin ejide should be called to the national team at least he's a better option to akpeyi.
This ligali boy should be invited since he plays at the top division in france let's see what he has to offer.
Dele alampasu should be tested in some friendly games to see if he's ready for the super eagles.
Emmanuel daniel should be invited.
All this keepers should be tested and drilled and the best should be chosen.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:40pm On Mar 28, 2017
Aina, Akpom, Oshaniwa and co

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:44pm On Mar 28, 2017
Arsenal Marc bola at the Super Eagles game

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:57pm On Mar 28, 2017
The players

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (723) (724) (725) (726) (727) (728) (729) ... (16166) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Suzzytee05(f) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.