Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (734) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11718192 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) (737) ... (16164) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:57pm On Mar 30, 2017
Flying Eagles Skipper Nwakali : Nigerians Want To See Me Play At Emirates Stadium

Nigeria U20s skipper Kelechi Nwakali is targeting a spot in Arsenal’s first team next season, and has revealed that Nigerian fans who support the Gunners want to see him play at the Emirates Stadium.

The ex-Golden Eaglets talent was snapped up by Arsenal last summer but will spend the whole of this season on loan at Dutch second-tier club MVV Maastricht after failing to secure a work permit.

Manager Arsene Wenger will make a decision on the future of Nwakali in the summer and whether or not he remains in London will be determined to a large extent by the finalization of his paperwork.

“I’m not the one who will decide what happens but all I can do is work hard and let the boss see that. If Arsenal decide that next season they want me to play in Arsenal, no problem, ” Nwakali told goal.com.

"If they decide they want me to come back to London, it’s still no problem. They have to make their choice and I will respect it.”

The attacking midfielder added : “I think Nigeria have the most Arsenal fans in the world because of Kanu.

“I know they [the fans] are expecting to see me play in Emirates Stadium and I promise them I will work hard to get fulfil their expectations.”

The ASJ Academy product has played 24 matches as a professional since his arrival in the Netherlands.

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22551

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:00pm On Mar 30, 2017
tbaba1234:
This!!

Please, Rohr should call Odey to camp and let him watch him closely. Odey must not make the squad but this can also help build him. He deserves this.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:07pm On Mar 30, 2017
Morning Editorial: Nigeria
Plot Route To Progression
Through England

Editorial | March 30, 2017 | 0 Comments
Follow @uMAXitFootball
When you think of the world’s most iconic
footballing nations, Brazil, the Netherlands,
Spain, Italy and France all spring to mind.
England and Argentina are never far from the
headlines, with the likes of Denmark and Greece
cementing themselves in history thanks to
unlikely European Championship triumphs. But
when it comes to Africa, there’s a growing
feeling that one country in particular are just
getting started.
That’s not to say success from the region is
something entirely new to us. Ivory Coast won
the 2015 African Cup of Nations and boasted a
squad full of players based in Europe’s top five
leagues. Algeria found themselves in the Round
of 16 for the first time at the 2014 World Cup,
after Ghana were extremely unlucky not to make
a historic semi-final in South Africa four years
prior. However, it’s Nigeria whose future
prospects look most exciting.
For all the exciting talent they have in Kelechi
Iheanacho, Wilfred Ndidi, Isaac Success and
Moses Simon, the Nigerian Football Federation
are determined to make the most of its English-
based players ahead of the 2018 World Cup and
the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations. They recruited
Arsenal’s Alex Iwobi in 2015 and now believe
that they have persuaded Chuba Akpom, his best
friend and former youth team-mate, to play for
them too.
Akpom will join Iwobi in a new generation of
English-born or English-raised Nigerian playes.
Ola Aina, the Chelsea right-back who has played
for England Under-20 level, was training in Barnet
too this week and is also set to represent his
parents’ country from this summer and beyond.
Eberechi Eze of Queens Park Rangers and Josh
Maja of Sunderland were in training too and have
not fully decided yet, but are both understood to
be leaning towards playing for Nigeria.
Fred Onyedinma of Millwall and Joe Aribo of
Charlton are also expected to declare for the
Super Eagles, while Ademola Lookman of
Everton, who played for England Under-20s on
Saturday, has not yet decided which country he
will represent at senior level. Becoming a more
attractive option for players was the aim for the
NFF, and with an exciting young core coming
through, this was what they needed to go on and
build the superstructure in years to come.http://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/morning-editorial-nigeria-plot-route-to-progression-through-england

Nigeria team now making waves (cool

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:42pm On Mar 30, 2017
tbaba1234:
3 Nigerians in England's under 20.
still not enough they wanna get them all for themselves... greedy country.
u see their problem... many of this guys they will likely frustrate them in the long run as 3 lions dream will never become a reality..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chimzyblack(m): 9:23pm On Mar 30, 2017
SUPER EAGLES COACH OWED THREE MONTHS SALARY
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr is being owed for three months according to a new report. Super Eagles Chief Coach Gernot Rohr is being owed three months salary by the Nigeria Football Federation. The NFF have not paid the Franco-German coach for the past three months, according to a report by SCORENigeria. “Rohr has not been paid for three months now. The NFF say they are broke,” SCORENigeria quoted a top official of the NFF. Rohr earns $47,000 a month, totaling $141,000 for the three months he has reportedly not been paid. The 63-year old signed to manage the Super Eagles in August 2016, signing an initial two-year deal to qualify Nigeria for next year’s World Cup, but his salaries have been shrouded in secrecy with speculations over who is bankrolling them and how much he is paid. And according to the report, the NFF’s indebtedness to the Franco-German coach comes at a time when the federation have received in excess of $700,000 from various sources. It is claimed that the NFF have received $500,000 from CAF for AFCON TV rights, $200,000 from FIFA, 145 million Naira from sponsors Guinness and 70 million Naira from govt allocation for February. This will not be the first time the Glass House are owing a Super Eagles coach as former coaches, Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia were owed at some point.........[url][/url] http://www.footballmole.com/2017/03/report-nff- owing-new-super-eagles-coach.html FOOTBALLMOLE.COM
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:28pm On Mar 30, 2017
chimzyblack:
SUPER EAGLES COACH OWED THREE MONTHS SALARY

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr is being owed for
three months according to a new report.
Super Eagles Chief Coach Gernot Rohr is being owed
three months salary by the Nigeria Football Federation.
The NFF have not paid the Franco-German coach for
the past three months, according to a report by
SCORENigeria.
“Rohr has not been paid for three months now. The
NFF say they are broke,” SCORENigeria quoted a top
official of the NFF.
Rohr earns $47,000 a month, totaling $141,000
for the three months he has reportedly not been paid.
The 63-year old signed to manage the Super Eagles in
August 2016, signing an initial two-year deal to
qualify Nigeria for next year’s World Cup, but his
salaries have been shrouded in secrecy with speculations
over who is bankrolling them and how much he is paid.
And according to the report, the NFF’s indebtedness to
the Franco-German coach comes at a time when the
federation have received in excess of $700,000 from
various sources.
It is claimed that the NFF have received $500,000
from CAF for AFCON TV rights, $200,000 from
FIFA, 145 million Naira from sponsors Guinness and
70 million Naira from govt allocation for February.
This will not be the first time the Glass House are
owing a Super Eagles coach as former coaches,
Stephen Keshi, Sunday Oliseh and Samson Siasia
were owed at some point.........[url][/url]
http://www.footballmole.com/2017/03/report-nff-
owing-new-super-eagles-coach.html
FOOTBALLMOLE.COM

Rohr has not complained about salary. This is an unnecessary distraction.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:37pm On Mar 30, 2017
tbaba1234:

Again, you are missing the point.

I want a quality league and right now, it simply is not there. That is why talented players fail to progress in quality.

Nigerians abroad are not more talented than Nigerians at home. They just have a better foundation and the opportunities to get better. The Nigerian League does not offer that opportunity. At least, not at the moment.

For every Etebo, there are tens of others who wasted away because the league did not give them the tools to reach that next level. We have seen so many one hit wonders.

Unless, we realize that the quality of the league is not up to scratch, then we will put goal records in proper perspectives.
Agreed the NPFL have its problems but it doesn't mean it cannot produce good players.
Did you say for every Etebo there are about 9 others who couldn't hit the heights?

I can as well say, for every Ross Barkely there's a Chucks Aneke. For every Delle Alli, there's a Dickson Etuhu. For every Alaba, there's an Owomoyela. For every Ebuehi, there's a Razak Omozusi.
Football is subjective to personal opinion and the lens you wish to view things from.

As much as not all promising players from home hit the heights, it must be said not all foreign born players hit the height as well. That is why it is a game. Nothing is predictable.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:42pm On Mar 30, 2017
2019 AFCON Qualifiers in focus
The 2019 AFCON Qualifiers

Group E
Nigeria, South Africa, Libya, Seychelles

South Africa seems to be the only country that could provide us with a hard nut to crack.

Lybia and Seychelles are not walkovers, but on paper should not worry us a bit. These two countries should be good testing grounds for Rohr led technical crew to try out a good number of green horns from the array of young stars outlined.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jerryclinton: 9:53pm On Mar 30, 2017
Most of the players and top scorers in our local leagues are just flashes in the pan and one season stars. Where is Godwin obaje this season? Where is mfon udoh who scored 23 goals in one season? Where is emem eduok? Where is Chisom chikatara today? What is he doing with wydad casablanca?? Where are all these players who were toping the goal chart in just one season and then faded away? I wouldn't want us to use just one season to rate Stephen Odey and start clamouring for his SE invitation. Lets watch him like 2 seasons and see how consistent he will be before we talk of inviting him to our senior national team. It shouldn't be an all comers affair. Etebo performed exceptionally at the all African games and we all saw and knew he merited SE invitation. Stephen odey has not even represented us in an age group tournament before, so why clamour for him to be in SE now?
TheGoodJoe:

Please, Rohr should call Odey to camp and let him watch him closely. Odey must not make the squad but this can also help build him. He deserves this.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 9:55pm On Mar 30, 2017
Players to camp in France ahead of 2019 AFCON qualifiers against South Africa in June

Steve Dede | 19:56 | 28.03.2017

Nigeria and South Africa are in Group E of the qualifiers for AFCON 2019 and will face each other in June.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria will camp in France ahead of their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against South Africa in June.

The Super Eagles will kick off their 2019 AFCON qualifiers against South Africa in June.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria just closed their camp for this international break (Twitter)

Ahead of the game, the Media Officer of the Super EaglesToyin Ibitoyehas revealed that the team will converge in France where they will camp before the qualifier.

"We will have another camp like this at the end of the season where all these players will meet again before the game against South Africa," Ibitoye told Complete Sports.

Nigeria and South Africa are in Group E of the qualifiers for AFCON 2019 and will face each other in June.

Both Nigeria and South Africa played in the same group for the qualifiers for AFCON 2015 and both also failed to qualify.

pulse.ng/sports/football/super-eagles-to-camp-in-france-ahead-of-south-africa-clash-id6442438.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kakamorufu(m): 9:59pm On Mar 30, 2017
I hope Libya and Seychelles have good pitches.
and I pray they don't go Rwanda and Liberia on us by forcing us to play on stony pitches

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:02pm On Mar 30, 2017
goldfish80:

I've tried answering this question but you keep repeating them over and over again.
For goodness sake, where do you think NPFL clubs sign players from? Do they import players from Mars? Is it not the same academies and youth clubs which supplies players to the various national cadet teams and European clubs that serves as conveyor belt to the NPFL clubs?

For starters, Abia warriors had an open screening before the start of this season and about 400 players from various academies spread out through the length and breath of the country showed up.
3sc did the same, players in their hundreds showed up.
Rangers couldn't even contain the crowd that showed up when they threw their camp open for screening into their feeder team.

European clubs are run by capitalists. They want to invest $1 and earn $1M. The reason these guys go for academy players from Africa, especially Nigeria is because they get away with paying these desperate youngsters stipends not salaries. These youngsters are payed between $500-800 a month. They cannot offer professional players such contracts. I know some NPFL player who came back and continued playing in the local league because they actually earn more playing at home.
If it were up to you, we shouldn't even think of having a league. We should wait for Nigerians in diaspora to produce babies who will come play for the super eagles because there is a dearth of talents who could be nurtured at home. That's a very shallow blue print to follow.
Even the much celebrated Etebor, was absued on this thread when Siasia played him ahead of some established stars against Egypt. Anyone in doubt should check the first 5 pages of this thread and see for themselves. Today the same rejected Etebo has become one of our better players in the Super Eagles. If Siasia didn't give him that chance, Rohr would roll into town and watch for Etebor to give him a good first impression. Hmm

Did Warri Wolves win the champions league? How mange Etebo could emerge from such a team that went on relegation?

The worst culprits for that business model are the Portuguese. They have hostels for thier African boys tied too stupendous buy out clauses.

Prior to the outlawed TPI you would also have a huge TPI against your name as well.

Then to add insult to Injury and petrol to fire you will barely get €1000 if you are lucky. These are teams in the Portuguese first division it's almost a kind of slavery.

I had some association with Sporting Braga in 2015 before thier Sporting Director Augustitno left. I met another Nigerian in thier camp maybe Chidi was his name. My eye open eeee no fit close, they thought because my player was black that we had just come off the boat and were desperate for a few thousand euro, what an insult.

I also know an English league club that is setting up an arrangement in Guinea Bissau with the same model in mind. As you probably know getting Portuguese citizenship coming from Guinea Bissau is well not complicated too put it lightly.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:03pm On Mar 30, 2017
Alex Iwobi labels Sanchez and Ozil ‘key players’

Nigerian attacker Alex Iwobi has labelled Arsenal teammates Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil as “key players” for the London club.

The two players could well be on their way out of the club, with their contract negotiations put on hold until the European summer.

With the future of manager Arsene Wenger also uncertain, the Gunners cannot afford to lose two senior players.

Iwobi has expressed his respect for the players in question and hopes that they will sign new deals with the London side.

"As you can see from stats, goals and chances they create they are key players in our team," he told the BBC.

"Everything offensively almost goes through them. Even though we have other players they are world-class players.

"For the club it'd be great for them to stay, but at the end of the day it's their decisions."

mtnfootball.com/mobi/news/698133/Alex-Iwobi-labels-Sanchez-and-Ozil-key-players

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:10pm On Mar 30, 2017
tbaba1234:

but wait oooo...why must NFF own every coach....even if the coach is to be paid five thousand naira..those greedy folks in the glass house will still own him..
I just don't understand... truly there is a limit rohr can be pushed to...the man may flare up..we are humans we all have elastic limit
why push a loyal person to the wall?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:15pm On Mar 30, 2017
jerryclinton:
Most of the players and top scorers in our local leagues are just flashes in the pan and one season stars. Where is Godwin obaje this season? Where is mfon udoh who scored 23 goals in one season? Where is emem eduok? Where is Chisom chikatara today? What is he doing with wydad casablanca?? Where are all these players who were toping the goal chart in just one season and then faded away? I wouldn't want us to use just one season to rate Stephen Odey and start clamouring for his SE invitation. Lets watch him like 2 seasons and see how consistent he will be before we talk of inviting him to our senior national team. It shouldn't be an all comers affair. Etebo performed exceptionally at the all African games and we all saw and knew he merited SE invitation. Stephen odey has not even represented us in an age group tournament before, so why clamour for him to be in SE now?

Odey is not just topping the chart but he is showing consistency. One of the reasons why we lose out on promising local talents is us leaving them in our local League to rot. By the time they leave, they might not have the fire in them.

Rohr is highly experienced and I believe he can tell a quality talent when he sees one. No one is asking for Rohr to start or play Odey yet but watch him closely. Drill him and run a rule if he is ready for the Super Eagles.

I also use this opportunity to still mention that we need to start using the international Windows to play friendly games with our young talents (both local and foreign). Team building should not only go on at the top.

If we had an U21 Friendly against one of the European, African or Asian U20 teams, we would have seen the likes of Onyekuru and Odey in the Nigerian Jersey. Maybe they make statements for their Super Eagles inclusion.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:17pm On Mar 30, 2017
Humility017:

but wait oooo...why must NFF own every coach....even if the coach is to be paid five thousand naira..those greedy folks in the glass house will still own him..
I just don't understand... truly there is a limit rohr can be pushed to...the man may flare up..we are humans we all have elastic limit
why push a loyal person to the wall?

That's the thing. Rohr is not working for Nff salary, he is pretty comfortable on his own/investments and can do without it. That is why we do not hear him talk about salaries. No one should be bringing it up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:17pm On Mar 30, 2017
komekn:

The worst culprits for that business model are the Portuguese. They have hostels for thier African boys tied too stupendous buy out clauses.

Prior to the outlawed TPI you would also have a huge TPI against your name as well.

Then to add insult to Injury and petrol to fire you will barely get €1000 if you are lucky. These are trams in the Portuguese first division it's almost a kind of slavery.

I had some association with Sporting Braga in 2015 before thier Sporting Director Augustitno left. I met another Nigerian in thier camp maybe Chidi was his name. My eye open eeee no fit close.
You're referring to Chidi Osuchukwu he's a left footed play maker.
I know the living conditions these players are subjected to is nothing to write home about.
I know about a player who doesn't earn up to £500 a month in Portugal. Most times these players forget about football and device other means of survival.

Professional player cannot be subjected to stay in a hostel and pocket €500 per month. Most of these North African teams pay these players good salaries. Take for instance the case of Ogochukwu Obiakor when he signed for Etoile du Sahel in Tunisia from Gabros, he was given a flat, a car and was paid good allowance.

This is exactly the reason why professional players in Nigeria prefer to move to North Africa than Europe. Most people may not realise this but Julius Aghahowa was living a nightmare in Ukraine at the time.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:20pm On Mar 30, 2017
terzurum5:
Players to camp in France ahead of 2019 AFCON qualifiers against South Africa in June

The Super Eagles of Nigeria will camp in France ahead of their 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against South Africa in June.

The Super Eagles will kick off their 2019 AFCON qualifiers against South Africa in June.

The Super Eagles of Nigeria just closed their camp for this international break (Twitter)

Ahead of the game, the Media Officer of the Super EaglesToyin Ibitoyehas revealed that the team will converge in France where they will camp before the qualifier.

"We will have another camp like this at the end of the season where all these players will meet again before the game against South Africa," Ibitoye told Complete Sports.

Both Nigeria and South Africa played in the same group for the qualifiers for AFCON 2015 and both also failed to qualify.

pulse.ng/sports/football/super-eagles-to-camp-in-france-ahead-of-south-africa-clash-id6442438.html

Very interesting. It seems Rohr already had his plans to slowly build his team and create competition in every role. I hope our hardworking journalists keep us informed when the camping starts and details of players' performance in camp.

Tiri Gbosa for Rohr and props to the NFF.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:22pm On Mar 30, 2017
terzurum5:

Group E

South Africa seems to be the only country that could provide us with a hard nut to crack.

Lybia and Seychelles are not walkovers, but on paper should not worry us a bit. These two countries should be good testing grounds for Rohr led technical crew to try out a good number of green horns from the array of young stars outlined.

We should work hard to qualify early, so we can have dead rubber games to test promising players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 10:29pm On Mar 30, 2017
terzurum5:

Group E

. lol you are not serious ataw. Rohr should experiment with the two teams so we risk missing 2019 afcon abi play the best legs and beat them silly, u can try green horns during friendly... my eyes do not forbid seeing nigeria win 6-0
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:35pm On Mar 30, 2017
terzurum5:

IMO France is not safe. Senegal v Ivory Coast happened in France and we can't overlook the Paris attacks. We have a relationship with La Liga and I feel Spain would be a better option. We already saw how fast they got Ezekiel Bassey in their country, we should continue to build on that relationship instead of jumping into the unknown.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:38pm On Mar 30, 2017
komekn:

Then to add insult to Injury and petrol to fire you will barely get €1000 if you are lucky. These are teams in the Portuguese first division it's almost a kind of slavery.

I had some association with Sporting Braga in 2015 before thier Sporting Director Augustitno left. I met another Nigerian in thier camp maybe Chidi was his name. My eye open eeee no fit close, they thought because my player was black that we had just come off the boat and were desperate for a few thousand euro, what an insult.

I also know an English league club that is setting up an arrangement in Guinea Bissau with the same model in mind. As you probably know getting Portuguese citizenship coming from Guinea Bissau is well not complicated too put it lightly.

The bolded had me on the floor grin grin

I think Cape Verde is another country with such passport heaven to Portugal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:39pm On Mar 30, 2017
DrKlever:
. lol you are not serious ataw. Rohr should experiment with the two teams so we risk missing 2019 afcon abi play the best legs and beat them silly, u can try green horns during friendly... my eyes do not forbid seeing nigeria win 6-0

Who did we play in that wcq that we only beat 2-0? That thing pained me eh, 6-0 would be music to my ears. We need to gain that mentality of wanting to not only beat but crush our opponents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2017
Mikel Remains My Idol - Ndidi

[img]https://2.bp..com/-HhQ3YNo8YKE/WN1uNK4dbJI/AAAAAAAADfY/yVinBdbTexoGvGN4Rz83WsjpWu_OdOJSQCLcB/s1600/Ndidi-Nigeria.jpg[/img]

By Augustine Akhilomen

Super Eagles midfielder, Wilfred Ndidi says he a great admirer of John Obi Mikel.

Ndidi's impressive form for Leicester City since joining the team in the winter transfer, has seen him score one goal in eight games in all competitions.

The former Genk star insisted that Mikel has always been a player he idolises while he was growing up as a child.

"I have always looked up to Mikel," Ndidi told Goal. "When he was at Chelsea, I was at Nath Boys [as a youth player] and I have always liked him as a player. I have always been crazy about Mikel. The way he plays is amazing.

"When me and my friends talk about players, we always want to talk about Mikel. He is so important for Nigerian football. I actually liked two players from outside of Nigeria [when I was younger]."

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/03/mikel-remains-my-idol-ndidi.html

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:49pm On Mar 30, 2017
tbaba1234:

That's the thing. Rohr is not working for Nff salary, he is pretty comfortable on his own/investments and can do without it. That is why we do not hear him talk about salaries. No one should be bringing it up.

We need to pay him asap, at this rate our stock is rising and it won't be long before investors come knocking. We need our house to be in order. No matter the circumstances, failure to pay salary still looks bad and damages our brand. I would advise the NFF to do whatever they can to pay him and they can start by telling NIKE we won't wear their logo for free.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:58pm On Mar 30, 2017
DrKlever:
Laugh wan kill me gringrin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:15pm On Mar 30, 2017
DrKlever:
Oga new players like Isaac Success, Kayode, Ola Aina and Bazee are likely to get good playing minutes during the qualifiers.

The Duo of Success and Kayode might likely play against South Africa judging from their performances against Senegal.

Ola and Bazee might get capped in subsequent matches too.

I don't mean all of them must start at once.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:20pm On Mar 30, 2017
DrKlever:

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:04am On Mar 31, 2017
Blinkered criticism of Wilfried Zaha shows startling insularity
Barney Ronay

Parallax error is the kind of thing one learns about in year five physics. It describes the way the same object can appear to have different qualities observed from different angles – like a measuring gauge, for example, or Arsenal’s talented teenage centre-forward Eddie Nketiah.

“Arsenal wonderkid Eddie Nketiah nets hat-trick for England Under‑18s,” was the headline in one English newspaper after Nketiah’s fine performance against Qatar on Tuesday night. “England-born Ghanaian Eddie Nketiah scores on England debut,” was an alternative view from Ghanaweb.com after Nketiah had scored on his debut against Saudi Arabia last week.

This is slightly more than a parallax error. It is Nketiah’s good fortune, and indeed a function of modern life, that he can inhabit all these identities at once: Arsenal wonderkid, England Under-18, England-born Ghanaian.

International football may soon demand he settles on a more exclusive classification although, if that time comes, Nketiah may just feel a little uncertain, perhaps even a bit more Ghanaian, after the bizarre furore this week over Wilfried Zaha’s decision to play for Ivory Coast.

These are of course complex issues. Only the most blinkered observer could fail to acknowledge the parallax error here; or insist that to feel doubts, to have divided loyalties, to turn away from dear old Albion represents a kind of failure, a deviation from the true, the pure, the best.

At which point enter Danny Mills, Gareth Southgate and quite a few other people with fixed and punitive opinions on Zaha’s identity as a footballer. Born in Abidjan, Zaha came with his eight siblings to live in Thornton Heath aged four. He has always been open about his interest in playing for the country of his birth. Five years ago he told Dominic Fifield of the Guardian: “It’s 50:50 because I was born in Ivory Coast but all I know is England. When the time comes, I’ll make a choice.”

The English Football Association made exceptional efforts to sway that decision. When Zaha was 19 the stand-in England manager Stuart Pearce made a much-trumpeted visit to Crystal Palace’s training ground to plead for his teenage loyalties. Zaha was swayed. Despite Didier Drogba’s best efforts he accepted a call-up to the senior team the same year – but only after senior FA figures had spent hours reassuring Zaha he would not be jeopardising his chance of representing Ivory Coast in the future. In the end Zaha played 21 minutes for England. His last cap came in 2014. Until recently his form did not demand much more. The former Palace owner Simon Jordan has suggested Zaha simply was not “organised” enough to make that step up. On the other hand a total of 53 England players have been picked since Zaha’s last cap. Rickie Lambert, Jonjo Shelvey and Calum Chambers got more of a run in the team.

And so here we are. As a 19-year-old, Zaha was persuaded to commit one way. It did not work out. As a 24-year-old it seems entirely correct, having been courted by the Ivorian FA for years, that he should now decide to play instead for the country of his birth. Last week he scored a brilliant goal against Russia and looked a happy footballer in the right place. Case closed, surely. Everyone wins. Another example of mixed but equally legitimate sporting identity resolved.

Except apparentlyApparently not. For Mills, who is from Norwich and who has never had to contend with any clash of nationalities, Zaha’s decision to choose his birth nation is to be condemned. It shows a lack of “fight”. Zaha is simply “taking the easy option”. It is hard to know where to start with this combination of parallax error and solipsism. Never mind that Ivory Coast is hardly an easy option, given the logistics and internal politics involved. Never mind this is a nation that has actually won an international trophy recently and fielded at least as many genuinely top-class players as England in the last few years. Not to speak of the private issues of family and heritage that, frankly, demand a little more respect.

There is simply a startling insularity here, not least in the assumption that playing for England is somehow more real, more authentic than playing for anyone else; that a passion for any other nation must be an inferior, B-list passion, a cop-out. The road from Laurie Cunningham to Raheem Sterling – via John Barnes, Ian Wright and Ron Noades – is a long one, and largely a happy story of integration and acceptance. But there is no doubt some element of tension exists here, which Zaha’s choice has gouged open.

Far more significant is Southgate’s response, which like that of Mills was honest but also judgmental. Southgate has said he also sees a lack of “inherent desire” in Zaha’s choice, an absence of “internal 100% passion”, citing Jermain Defoe as an example of a 100% passionate desire-filled Englishman.

This is, of course, a false comparison. Had Defoe chosen to play for St Lucia or Dominica, then this would not be evidence of lack of passion but simply a choice to be respected, as should the choice to play for England.

Similarly Southgate’s desire for only 100% committed Englishmen is a little bizarre in a nation where so many people are simply not 100% one thing or the other and where it is deeply crass to cast split loyalties as an issue of blame and unworthiness, an absence of guts and spleen and old English backbone. We are just a sideways leap here from forced anthem singing, thought crimes against the Queen, competitive flag-handling.

This comes at a time when mixed nationality England players are increasingly common. Zaha’s home patch, Croydon’s A23 corridor, is a place of huge ethnic diversity and also the most potent hotbed of domestic talent. Currently 14% of English footballers in the Premier League are from that square 10 miles.

Should the London-Croydon heartland declare national independence it could field a current XI of Jamal Blackman, Nathaniel Clyne, Joe Gomez, Chris Smalling, Ryan Bertrand, Jason Puncheon, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Ben Watson, Jordon Ibe, Victor Moses and Zaha. The majority of these qualify for at least two nations. Look one layer down and the England Under-21 team is stuffed with dual or triple footballing nationals. Against Lithuania last week the senior team had four on the pitch who might have opted to play for Jamaica.

This is simply England, like it or not. Just as the nation’s wealth was built on empire, so the rump of its football team is likely to come in the next few years from a hugely diverse young population. Throughout this, hopefully in the background, choices will have to be made, identities firmed up, some sporting loyalties expanded, others abandoned. The ability to understand rather than bully or cajole, or make absurd, badge-kissing value judgments is the only viable future here.

One thing is certain, though. In a week when the response to Zaha’s choice has been veiled anger, a suggestion of weakness and character-deficit in opting for anyone other than England, it will be a slightly unhappier, less certain process for the those to come.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/mar/29/wilfried-zaha-england-ivory-coast

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:37am On Mar 31, 2017
terzurum5:

Oga new players like Isaac Success, Kayode, Ola Aina and Bazee are likely to get good playing minutes during the qualifiers.

The Duo of Success and Kayode might likely play against South Africa judging from their performances against Senegal.

Ola and Bazee might get capped in subsequent matches too.

I don't mean all of them must start at once.

What position is Bazee possibly going to play in the Eagles.

If Rohr and the NFF get thier act together they can raise the profile of the Eagles particularly as we have started to be a lot more professional in our organisation.

If we can raise the level of organisational management most players will opt for Nigeria rather than the 3 Lions.

Have no doubt England is not France third generation Nigerian origin British citizens do not always see themselves as English. They also know from first hand experience that they are the second option and don't have the benefit of the doubt where football careers are concerned particularly in the English national team set up.

Irrespective of what some people may think in this forum. No matter how high you climb you will still face issues to do with race in England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lazyerudite: 3:40am On Mar 31, 2017
tbaba1234:

So we should wait till he complains of decide to quit, I think this is not fair if it is true. How can he be doing such a great job and not get paid and you just wave it aside like it is nothing while your senators are doing comical relief. To be honest I am shocked with this comment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:42am On Mar 31, 2017
Wilfried Zaha and Alex Iwobi deserve credit for turning down England careers — not condemnation

By choosing not to pursue an England career, players make themselves less marketable and therefore less rich. In what world does that represent the 'easy' way out?

Jack Pitt-Brooke @jackpittbrooke

What exactly is “easy” about the taking the option of playing for Cote d’Ivoire rather than England? That is what Wilfried Zaha was accused by Danny Mills of doing this week, but no description of the life of playing for a Premier League club but an African country could be further from the truth.

This international break, England played in Dortmund and then at Wembley. They trained at St George’s Park, in Hertfordshire and at Spurs’ base in Enfield. Everything was immaculately prepared for the players, as it always is.

Cote d’Ivoire meanwhile had to fly to Krasnodar to play a lucrative friendly against Russia before playing Senegal in France, a match that was abandoned due to crowd trouble. Having stayed in Europe this time, this counted as a less complex international break for Zaha than it might have been.

Of course there is no international football until the end of the season but in June, Cote d’Ivoire resume their qualification campaign for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations with a home game against Guinea, after their friendly against Holland in Rotterdam. England have their own away trips that week, but just to Glasgow and Paris.

The point of international football is not the money, especially for players on Premier League salaries. But the fact is that being an England international is a commercial dream. Marketers of football boots, fizzy drinks, video games or whatever else would always want to have an England international on their adverts. By choosing not to pursue an England career, you make yourself less marketable and less rich.

If Cote d’Ivoire do qualify for the next Africa Cup of Nations, as they surely will, then Zaha will spend a big chunk of the 2018-19 season playing for them in Cameroon. He will likely be joined there by plenty of other English-raised players who have chosen to chosen to represent their parents’ homeland.

The easier option would have been to ignore all of this hassle. Zaha could have spent his international breaks back here at home, resting and recuperating, training at Crystal Palace, focusing on his club form. That club form might help him into the England team, which would bring more glamour and money than representing his parents’ country.

This week The Independent reported that Chuba Akpom, Ola Aina, Fred Onyedinma, Ebere Eze, Josh Maja and Joe Aribo were all likely to represent Nigeria, rather than England, as senior internationals. The Nigerian Football Federation held a training camp in Barnet last week to persuade the English-based players to play for the Super Eagles, and it was successful in doing so.

By Mills’ logic, Aina and Akpom are taking the “easy option” by giving up on England. Akpom has played for England up to Under-21 level, Aina up to under-20s, but that part of their careers is over.

Alex Iwobi set the precedent, playing for England under-16s, under-17s and under-18s before declaring for Nigeria, where he was born. It took some adjusting at first, as Iwobi learned the ‘Broken English’ language, and he had to get used to getting mobbed at airports by fans asking for his boots. But now he is just over a year away for playing for his country at a World Cup, and has persuaded many of his closest friends to join him.

There will be inevitable criticism from people who do not realise that identity is complex. These young players have to make decisions that are not just professional and sporting but which get to the heart of who they are as people.

Gareth Southgate has usually found the right tone as England manager but he did not when he said that he wanted England players to be “desperate” to play for the national team, who did not need to have England sold to them. These are difficult decisions and if some players in these positions do need persuading – Ademola Lookman is currently deciding who he wants to represent as a senior international – then English football should be big enough to do that.

For anyone in football to demand that African immigrants and their children – or indeed immigrants from anywhere – must instantly and enthusiastically embrace the English national team is to fly far too close to the toxic ‘Tebbit Test’. That was simply a stick to beat the West Indian and Asian communities with and almost 30 years on we must make sure that we do not do the same.

Zaha, Iwobi, Aina and every other player in their position have to make the most of their careers as footballers, in a way that is rewarding and fulfilling, while staying true to how they see themselves as people. There is nothing easy about it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/wilfried-zaha-alex-iwobi-england-careers-danny-mills-comments-a7658881.html

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (731) (732) (733) (734) (735) (736) (737) ... (16164) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: comodo and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.