Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4442) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11663727 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4439) (4440) (4441) (4442) (4443) (4444) (4445) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 9:09pm On Jul 22, 2018
Eastern european mafia groups control football in these countries
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:34pm On Jul 22, 2018
gamaliel9:
I read somewhere that Belarus,Albania,Bulgaria are cesspool for fixing matches[?]..you can sell a match and even bribe the investigators...nothing will happen...its a win win for everybody and our boys are going to such leagues...

Many Nigerian footballers are in football to escape poverty. That is why you see players going to obscure leagues and taking 10 years or more off their real age. Until we fix our league, our players will keep going to those leagues.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:42pm On Jul 22, 2018
tbaba1234:

Ogundare is close to 30 if not above 30.
Fact.

Oga you go finish us o. Abeg talk am small small mbok I take God beg you biko.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:54pm On Jul 22, 2018
ChrisKels:

Oh really? Alright no problems but I have been longing to ask;

How come u dont wanna discuss Ryan Sanusi's move to lowly Grenoble in the French second division after helping to relegate his former club, Rotterdam to Holland second division? Remember he is Moussa Dembele's cousin grin

Why should I discuss him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:05pm On Jul 22, 2018
forgiveness:

Why should I discuss him?
Because u have been clamoring for him to be invited.
Also because he is Moussa Dembele's cousin brother grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 10:59pm On Jul 22, 2018
AIG07:
Nigeria Players I'm looking forward to this coming season are
*Already capped*
Success
Iwobi
Henry
Musa
Ebuehi
Awaziem

*Not yet capped*
Noah
Lookman
Eze
Philip
Awoniyi
Sadiq
Orji

I'm expecting these guys to have an amazing season.
What about that boy in Villarreal ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:23pm On Jul 22, 2018
bros,howsure are you that we will get lookman.that bobo seem to be leaning towards playing for the 3 lions of england
gamaliel9:

Those "not yet capped" sweet die...especially Sadiq...he is coming closer to world wide television through Rangers...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:28pm On Jul 22, 2018
obinna nwaobodo is a special player whoi adored so much when he was in the local league. he has very high football iq but i got disappointed when he moved to hungary. i pray he leaves to a better league soon.one of the biggest problem our local breed footballers have is not having good agents who have connections with clubs in top europeans leagues where they can easily market these talents. obinna is too good to be in the hungarian league
goldfish80:

He's a special talent.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:31pm On Jul 22, 2018
and as both stared in the same league why is it that only one got noticed by better clubs from more decent leagues? brosif you like paint am say slavia prague is the best club in obscure leagues, your man olayinka goofed by joining them after having a good season in belgium last term cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
forgiveness:

Where did we get to know both players?

In the same Belgium pro League where they both contributed to over 20 goals.

It is not as if Onyekuru performed in LA liga while Olayinka performed in Cyprus. Abi wetin you take dey do your own rating?

Besides, Slavia Prague is the second most successful club in Czech. They won the league two seasons ago and played in the Uefa champions league group stage last season. This season they came second in the league making them to qualify for the Uefa champions league third round.

Czech's league is just one step below the Turkish league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by RexTramadol1: 11:32pm On Jul 22, 2018
I no com understand this thread oh....from 2016

Naija all the way!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:33pm On Jul 22, 2018
he has to perform well first in the laliga before he will be considered
Abusule007:

What about that boy in Villarreal ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:35pm On Jul 22, 2018
i tip noah sarenren bazee to do very well in bundesliga these coming season
gamaliel9:

Those "not yet capped" sweet die...especially Sadiq...he is coming closer to world wide television through Rangers...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:52pm On Jul 22, 2018
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino has included two players of Nigerian descent on his roster for the tour of the United States.

England U17 World Cup-winning defender Timothy Eyoma and defensive midfielder Luke Amos have been handed an opportunity to aim for a first-team spot in the new season, with both youngsters named in the traveling party.

England U21 star Josh Onomah was a notable omission, which more or less confirms that the attacking midfielder is set to be loaned out or sold before the close of the summer transfer window.

Amos making the squad list shouldn't raise any eyebrows as he trained with the first-teamers in the days leading up to their trip to America.

The 21-year-old, who has been on the books of Spurs for twelve years, will fancy his own chances of breaking into the first team in the forthcoming season following successful loan spells at Southend United and Stevenage.

Eyoma appeared for the London club in the U18 Premier League, Premier League 2, UEFA Youth League and FA Youth Cup last season.

Tottenham Hotspur will tackle Roma (July 26), Barcelona (July 29) and AC Milan (August 1) in International Champions Cup matches in the United States.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:53pm On Jul 22, 2018
Nigerian striker Fred Friday is poised to lead AZ Alkmaar's attack in the 2018-2019 campaign going by his imperious display in pre-season games.

The former Lillestrøm youngster netted the winner after 60 minutes in his side's 1-0 win over Zulte Waregem on Sunday afternoon, taking his tally in preparation games to six goals in seven matches.

Friday was loaned out to Sparta Rotterdam in the second half of last season and he didn't do badly at the relegated Eredivisie club, with 4 goals (3 assists) in 18 appearances.

''I have been scoring because I have been working hard in training and games, my target for the new season is to score more goals, '' said Fred Friday to allnigeriasoccer.com.

Asked about a possible departure from AZ amid speculation linking him with a move to NAC Breda, he replied : ''Nothing is concrete, I am going to stay in AZ.''

Meanwhile, Zulte Waregem coach Francky Dury did not run the rule over Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen as the trialist was not named in the 20-man squad for the friendly against AZ.

Osimhen, 19, is training with Zulte Waregem with a view to a transfer in the summer transfer window.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 11:54pm On Jul 22, 2018
Newly signed on Club Brugge forward Arnold Danjuma Groeneveld showed his worth in his first competitive game for the club as they claim a 2-1 win over Standard Liege in the Belgium Super Cup.

Born to a Nigerian father and a Dutch mother in Lagos, the 21 year old who joined the club from Dutch second division side NEC Nijmegen started and lasted the entire duration of the Super Cup game.

Owngoalnigeria.com got to know about his abilities when Liverpool forward Taiwo Awoniyi alerted us to his potentials while playing alongside him during his loan spell at Dutch side NEC Nijmegen.

Deployed as a right wing-back ‎, he provided the assist for the first goal scored by Hans Vanaken in the 39th minute in what was described by many as a near perfect performance for his new club.

Super Eagles of Nigeria midfielder Uche Agbo was also on for the entire duration of the game for Standard Liege as he club slump to defeat although he was rated among one of the best performers for his team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 1:07am On Jul 23, 2018
charlesemeka85:
joining zulte warregem will be a smart move for the lad for his development. the belgian league is a good platform for young stars to develop

Nothing is guaranteed.

Let's not jump the gun, he is on trial probably with other players competing with him. Let him first of all pass the trial and secure a professional contract.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:56am On Jul 23, 2018
It is so sad to see what is happening with Ozil.

The western world does not really accept immigrants or children of immigrants from other parts of the world. When you win , you are German. When you lose, you are Turkish.

With all the achievements for Germany, it is so sad that he is treated like that. All these German-Nigerians waiting for German call-up, I hope, they can see that they might never be fully accepted no matter how german, they are.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:17am On Jul 23, 2018
Ozil

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:59am On Jul 23, 2018
Nigerians in the EPL

Iheanacho
Iwobi
Balogun
Bright Enobakhare
*Musa
Moses
Ndidi
Success
*Ola Aina

Enobakhare is likely to get an invitation soon if he gets a decent run of games for wolves.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:18am On Jul 23, 2018
FC Porto move shows Kelechi Nwakali is not ready for Super Eagles

Solace Chukwu
Correspondent

The highly rated youngster is not yet close to taking the mantle of the national side, contrary to popular expectation

The day before, a mishmash of a Nigeria selection had drawn 2-2 with a largely reserve Atletico Madrid team. It was a curious game: low on quality, but decorated by some eye-catching goals, one of which flew in off the boot of youngster Kelechi Nwakali.

The question then with which Rohr was set upon centred on the exclusion, from his provisional World Cup squad, of the former Nigeria under-17 captain. If he was good enough to score a curler of such immaculate beauty, why was he not an option in a midfield that was struggling for creativity?
The reaction must have come as a bit of a surprise to the German coach. For one thing, and as he rightly pointed out, an end-of-season friendly against a side that had endured a gruelling run to the Europa League final, and therefore had understandably opted to give some of their kids and fringe players a run was hardly the proper measure for anyone's readiness for a World Cup.

Secondly, and perhaps more pertinently, there was nothing to suggest, from the season the 20-year-old had had at club level in the Netherlands, that he deserved a look-in at all.

Two months on, the 2015 Under-17 Golden Ball winner is set to begin another loan from parent club Arsenal, this time in the Portuguese second division with FC Porto's B team. Perhaps this shows that Rohr was right after all?
Nwakali is a player of whom a lot seems to be expected.

This weight of expectation hangs with even more urgency and heft due to the imminent winding-down of national team captain and talisman John Obi Mikel. For most, the same sauntering swagger and daring with which the Super Eagles captain emerged into the public eye is visible in Nwakali.
As such, this transfer window, perhaps more than any other, was a crucial juncture for the young midfielder.

The decision to join Porto and play for the reserve side, therefore, has led to a great deal of exasperation, especially with the inability of his representatives, Stellar Football Ltd., to get a better deal for a player of his talents.
However, what if the answer is a lot simpler, and the problem is not with his agents, but with the estimation of his abilities back home?
Perhaps the correct answer is the simplest one: Nwakali is just not as good as we like to believe he is.
Getting hung up on players based on performances at youth level and in one-off matches is nothing new. Mikel himself was a victim of this for so long with the national side, and should perhaps have served as a cautionary tale for how players can sometimes grow away from the blinding light of expectation.

Perhaps the player will impress so much in the second tier that Porto exercise their option to make the deal permanent, but, by Nwakali's own admission, he will need to develop a lot more in order to be the player he can become.
"My main goal is to develop and evolve as a player," he admitted in an interview with Porto's official website. “Improve my qualities and the other aspects that I know I need to correct to help me grow in the way I play."

In there lies the kernel of a truth that has escaped so many: there is a streak of showiness and superfluity to his play at times which, while he idolizes Porto legend Deco, is more reminiscent of the earlier play of France's Paul Pogba.
It might have thrilled the teeming crowd at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium, Uyo, but it was much less impressive for Eredivisie side VVV-Venlo, for whom Nwakali played less than 300 minutes across the first half of last season, before being sent to the second tier.

He had a much better time of it with MVV Maastricht, scoring four times and assisting once in the second half of the season. However, three of his four only came against the league's bottom five.

Still only 20, there is plenty of time for Nwakali to grow and force his way into the mainstream. There is some frustration that he is not quite the prodigy most expected, but that does not preclude him growing into a very good footballer.
Perhaps the lesson here is that we ought not to expect too much.

http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/porto-move-shows-kelechi-nwakali-is-not-ready-for-super/1xyc8gbzkmii18bsn67oxqcz8

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:23am On Jul 23, 2018
ChrisKels:

Because u have been clamoring for him to be invited.

Also because he is Moussa Dembele's cousin brother grin

Lol help me tell am oo,maybe he wan denie am now

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:27am On Jul 23, 2018
forgiveness:

Where did we get to know both players?

In the same Belgium pro League where they both contributed to over 20 goals.

It is not as if Onyekuru performed in LA liga while Olayinka performed in Cyprus. Abi wetin you take dey do your own rating?

Besides, Slavia Prague is the second most successful club in Czech. They won the league two seasons ago and played in the Uefa champions league group stage last season. This season they came second in the league making them to qualify for the Uefa champions league third round.

Czech's league is just one step below the Turkish league.

Czech league 1 step below turkey league?

Name one world class player that has played in the czech league? and i will give you 15 world class player who has played in the turkey league,and you are here saying its just 1 step below?

Clap for your self

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:07am On Jul 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

The western world does not really accept immigrants or children of immigrants from other parts of the world. When you win , you are German. When you lose, you are Turkish.

With all the achievements for Germany, it is so sad that he is treated like that. All these German-Nigerians waiting for German call-up, I hope, they can see that they might never be fully accepted no matter how german, they are.

Oezil is a victim of the extreme far right politics of the west, who see Erdogan as the Sadam Husein of Turkey. It was ill adviced for Oezil to pose for a photo with him during election campaign, which looked like an endorsement for a tyrant.
The Turkish community in Germany is very strong and Oezil being a poster child of that community should have known better, especially when Turks in diaspora are allowed to vote. As a result, he has lost alot of endorsement, I hear about 8 of them have ditched him, apart from addidas and a couple of others.
Having said this, I think he got unfairly singled out for criticism for Germany's failure at the world cup,when the manager should have been held responsible.
Moreso, the stupid DFB chief who called him a goat bleeps is quite insane and should be jailed.
I wonder how Sane will be feeling now.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:16am On Jul 23, 2018
ChrisKels:

He has always fancied his chances with the Albanian national team. You know they have been courting him for a long time now?

Na em palaba bi dat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:23am On Jul 23, 2018
charlesemeka85:
i tip noah sarenren bazee to do very well in bundesliga these coming season

You got it..he is going to do well because he already has the tradition....yes if you noticed its very difficult for a Nigerian moving straight into team A of any German team. Akpoborire and Okocha..our most successful exports to Germany took time to blossom there...Ojigwe despite his talent languished for many years in Bundesliga B. Its like Bundesliga is too technical for our players unlike French,Italian,Spanish and English leagues
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 8:24am On Jul 23, 2018
AIG07:
Nigeria Players I'm looking forward to this coming season are
*Already capped*
Success
Iwobi
Henry
Musa
Ebuehi
Awaziem

*Not yet capped*
Noah
Lookman
Eze
Philip
Awoniyi
Sadiq
Orji

I'm expecting these guys to have an amazing season.

Onomah, Noah Okafor, Mandela Egbo, Shawn Adewoye, Keanan Bennett, Philip and Sheyi Ojo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:26am On Jul 23, 2018
goldfish80:

Oezil is a victim of the extreme far right politics of the west, who see Erdogan as the Sadam Husein of Turkey. It was ill adviced for Oezil to pose for a photo with him during election campaign, which looked like an endorsement for a tyrant.
The Turkish community in Germany is very strong and Oezil being a poster child of that community should have known better, especially when Turks in diaspora are allowed to vote. As a result, he has lost alot of endorsement, I hear about 8 of them have ditched him, apart from addidas and a couple of others.
Having said this, I think he got unfairly singled out for criticism for Germany's failure at the world cup,when the manager should have been held responsible.
Moreso, the stupid DFB chief who called him a goat bleeps is quite insane and should be jailed.

I doubt he was thinking about politics when he took the picture. They met at a charity event so a picture was inevitable. He is Turkish. If any other German player did it, it will be a non-issue. There have several pictures of Ozil and Erdogan over the years. Should he cover his face and walk away? I do not understand the outrage.

If hypothetically, a popular player of German-Nigerian roots met Buhari or Osinbajo in a public place, a picture will be inevitable. Whether you love or hate Buhari's politics. Infact, Politics will be the least of the concerns.

I was reading somewhere that he created the most chances per game in the WC during the group stages. He is not the only one at fault for their ouster.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:27am On Jul 23, 2018
goldfish80:

Germany for Germans.....no mix up...jews...turks..Nigerians...hahahahaha Hitler reloading...it is in the blood....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:28am On Jul 23, 2018
tbaba1234:

The same can be said about those on the French team as well. All they care about is your performance, nothig else. Do not be fooled by all the acceptance you see towards them for their world cup win. If you stepped in to France yourself, trust me , you'd think otherwise. French white folks are something else.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:31am On Jul 23, 2018
Bolowolowo:

The same can be said about those on the French team as well. All they care about is your performance, nothig else. Do not be fooled by all the acceptance you see towards them for their world cup win. If you stepped in to France yourself, trust me , you'd think otherwise. French white folks are something else.

Ofcourse, i know what goes on in France.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:38am On Jul 23, 2018
I hope Ola Aina works his ass off during the preseason tour with Chelsea. Our guys really need to step up their game and prove their worth. We can no longer tolerate mediocrity. This loan spell nonsense must end.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:49am On Jul 23, 2018
edi287:

I'm so upset man! Had high for him. I thought he'd move to say a bigger Belgian club, France or Germany. SMH..

Na em sabi. Wish em well in his endeavour.

We should focus on those who are serious.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4439) (4440) (4441) (4442) (4443) (4444) (4445) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheSuperNerd(m) and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.