Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,675 members, 7,820,374 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2349) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11701873 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2346) (2347) (2348) (2349) (2350) (2351) (2352) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:49pm On Dec 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

The year Mikel lost to Toure, Toure was not better than him.
Please let's not twist facts. Mikel had a better AFCON than Yaya but Yaya was clearly the better performer in the Epl. At the time, Yaya was top 5 world best midfielders.
He was the only African who made the FIFA best that year.

The argument was that the AFCON should be used to determine Africa's best in an AFCON year. But Aboutreka would have won 3 back to back Apty if winning the AFCON was the criteria.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by g0tze: 10:51pm On Dec 11, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Your plan to kill me with laugh will not work. Please, my darling mum is an Igbo woman. From Abia State. I have aunties, uncles and cousins who are Igbo. I go to my mother's side and I am welcomed as a son.

How the heck will I be tribalistic against the Igbos? Chill and sip some cold beer. Cheers.
You made me lose all the respect i had for you after reading your hate infested posts on the political section.
For your own good refrain from posting those things.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:51pm On Dec 11, 2017
g0tze:

You made me lose all the respect i had for you after reading your hate infested posts on the political section.
For your own good refrain from posting those things.

It has nothing to do with hate. I am not in any way tribal. I schooled in an FGC and slept in rooms for years with people of different tribes.

That is why I can rep Shehu Abdullahi, Yahaya, Samson Siasia, Iheanacho, Ndidi Alampasu etc. You are just being sentimental and do not want any view contrary to your opinion. That is not my fault. Most posts were excerpts, not my words. Very few words from me. So, I can not be tagged a hater to where I have roots from.

Gerrit?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 10:54pm On Dec 11, 2017
Uduokhai only have to say yes to Rorh and he is off to russia
Icon4s:

Funny but mostly accurate.

Firstly, I feel Echiejile stands more than 70% chance. His should be up to over 90%.

Secondly Ezenwa seems to be the surest goalie to make it to Russia. Though whether he will be first choice or not is another thing.He would be a ready back up for who ever becomes first choice. He has up to 70% chance.

John Ogu should be up to 90%.

You forgot Kenneth Omeruo

Uduokhai and Ola Aina cannot be on the same chance. Uduokhai should not be more than 30% for me.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:03pm On Dec 11, 2017
goldfish80:

Please let's not twist facts. Mikel had a better AFCON than Yaya but Yaya was clearly the better performer in the Epl. At the time, Yaya was top 5 world best midfielders.

The argument was that the AFCON should be used to determine Africa's best in an AFCON year. But Aboutreka would have won 3 back to back Apty if winning the AFCON was the criteria.

Mikel had just played an important role in Chelsea's Europa League triumph and won AFCON as Nigeria's best player.

Toure had a trophyless season with City and was bundled out by Mikel's Nigeria.

Toure won that trophy on past achievements not that season.

Ofcourse, you can say Toure is a better player but for that year, Mikel edged him.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:03pm On Dec 11, 2017
Mujtahida:

Direct your question to Rohr who has been consistently in calling for Enyeama. I am just a fan. My answer will not help you.
OK I've spoken with him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:05pm On Dec 11, 2017
Joebie:
Rohr already said it plainly, Mikel will remain captain. The conditions have been well spelled out as regards Enyeama’s return.
Let’s not make noise over a non-issue.

Hmm interesting
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:08pm On Dec 11, 2017
Joebie:
Rohr has been doing the needed talking with him. But he did not stop there. He also gave conditions meaning he wasn’t giving Enyeama a free pass.

Rohr can do without Enyeama, but Rohr has shown from his utterances that an in-form Enyeama is needed

Good. so since he's not in form let's f us on other goalkeepers and stop clamouring to "convince" him to return as if he's Buff on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Mikel had just played an important role in Chelsea's Europa League triumph and won AFCON as Nigeria's best player.

Toure had a trophyless season with City and was bundled out by Mikel's Nigeria.

Toure won that trophy on past achievements not that season.

Ofcourse, you can say Toure is a better player but for that year, Mikel edged him.

The truth is that these awards are popularity contests. The more marketable player will always win. That is why goal scorers have an edge with these individual awards.
Mikel may have won the the Europa and AFCON but he scored zero goals that season. If he wasn't in the shadows at Chelsea, he would have been more marketable and individual awards would have followed. The only individual award Mikel won in his career was at the youth level.

To buttress my point about that trophies alone isn't enough to make a player win awards, look at the case of Adebayo, who was trophyless for Arsenal and Togo the year he won the APTY. BUT he scored 33 goals for Arsenal that season. They didn't even come second,they came 4th in the league.

At the world stage, I will remind you about Sneijder in 2010, when he won everything winnable in Europe, including the champions league and played upto the world cup finals with Netherlands but he still lost the diadem to Messi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:13pm On Dec 11, 2017
realpoacher:

Erm ...I take an exception to the bolded. Though I believe so much in Ezenwa. I don't even believe that he played badly against Algeria but his biggest undoing is his height. He is good enough but I don't trust that he can save for us a last minute penalty. He is not good on spot kicks, he has never caught anyone . Such a keeper to me is not excellent.

A well rounded keeper should be able to catch penalties too but for his height, it is a big disadvantage to him.

Based on this premise I will stand by Uzoho for now until a better option becomes available
What now? CHAN qualifiers, who saved the penalty at Sani Abacha Stadium? Jim Iyke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 11:19pm On Dec 11, 2017
enjoying your analysis guys. keep up the good work

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 11:25pm On Dec 11, 2017
goldfish80:

Lol.. I voted Salah. I'm neither sentimental Chelsea, Liverpool nor Arsenal Brit. I'm just an unbiased bystander who believes Mo deserved the crown. Better luck next time to Vic.
only in nigeria we have unbiased non sentimental people
if we swap there country moses would have won cause Egypt will support there own

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2017
maidaboi:
if we swap there country moses would have won cause Egypt will support there own
Bros abeg forget that sentimental talk. Jay Jay Okocha won this BBC award back to back ahead of Samuel Eto fils,but Eto usually won the Apty.
Let's not throw our toys from the pram because the voting didn't favour us.

By the way, who says Nigeria don't vote their own? Do you know how many awards Nigerian musicians have won due to the sheer voting power of Nigerians? Even in reality TV shows, Nigerians have dominated Africa with our numbers advantage.

Salah deserves this award, no matter how anybody feels about it. Mo will get my vote every day of the week.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:32pm On Dec 11, 2017
Fringe super Eagles forward and Leicester U23 star, Ahmed Musa put in a full shift today as his youth side came from behind to beat their Everton counterparts 2-1 in the premier League two which is equivalent of Spanish/German regional leagues as it is a developmental league unlike the championship, league 1&2.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 11:34pm On Dec 11, 2017
komekn:

You totally have no idea about what you are talking about.

You relying on rumour mongering and fake news.
OK
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:35pm On Dec 11, 2017
ChrisKels:
Fringe super Eagles forward and Leicester U23 star, Ahmed Musa put in a full shift today as his youth side came from behind to beat their Everton counterparts 2-1 in the premier League two which is equivalent of Spanish/German regional leagues as it is a developmental league unlike the championship, league 1&2.

Good for fitness but he needs something better... Lets see what January brings..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:43pm On Dec 11, 2017
One comment on Oliseh-Enyeama.

Big players have egos. Part of man management sometimes is managing those egos.

Ofcourse, Oliseh had the final decision to drop Enyeama as his captain but it should have been done in a better way. Enyeama should have been informed.

He however owes Enyeama no explanation for dropping him to the bench regardless of how long Enyeama has served.

Both parties had faults. I believe Rohr has done a better job so far of managing the egos on his team. The only player who has complained publicly so far is Igiebor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:57pm On Dec 11, 2017
Joel obi was a 75mins sub as his Torino side beat Lazio in Rome. Obi has a 6.0 rating

Lazio 1-3 Torino.

Kayode not in match day squad as his Liga side Girona secured a vital three points away from home.

Español 0-1 Girona

Awaziem conspicuously missing from the match day squad as his Nantes side succumbs to OGC Nice. He initially made the starting lineup but was later dropped after picking a late injury during warm-ups before match.

Nantes 1-2 Nice

Etebo was the worst outfield player for his side, with a rating 5.9, as they lost away from home at Guimares. He played as the second striker. His compatriot (alampasu) at the Portuguese team, once again didn't make the match day squad.

Guimares 1-0 feirense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:08am On Dec 12, 2017

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:33am On Dec 12, 2017
Whatever we say here is whatever.
Enyema is in Rohr’s plans as long as he meets the conditions.

MetalJigsaw:
Good. so since he's not in form let's f us on other goalkeepers and stop clamouring to "convince" him to return as if he's Buff on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:41am On Dec 12, 2017
Lol
Someone engaged me on this regard in the past I knew it would happen.

Mujtahida:

But the award is supposed to be based on last season na. Was Salah in the EPL last season?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:13am On Dec 12, 2017
A question I have always asked.

elunico:

Putting pressure on the team bi ti bawo? I'm lost. Does the coaching crew come here to validate their decisions as regard the team? Or does everyone on this thread have direct link to the NFF and the coaches?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:20am On Dec 12, 2017
We will resist you. The context here is football if you want to engage him, keep to that political thread of yours.
We re not his parents. I don’t care what you do in your bedroom as long as u don’t bring it where I am.

g0tze:
Super eagles sports fans, i am here to report to the house the childish and irresponsible behaviour of one of your own TheGoodJoe or Cityjoe. I have been his fan on this thread till he dabbled into some threads in the political section. His posts portrayed him as a full blown tribalist.
Anybody that knows TheGoodJoe should warned him to refrain from posting tribal comments on the political thread otherwise this once peaceful thread will become a theatre of war.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:30am On Dec 12, 2017
Danielnino00:
NPFL invitational tournament...

Akwa Utd-1 vs MFM-1
Plateau utd-1 vs Enyimba-1

Both Akwa and Plateau scored via PK after going down..

I didn't watch the game,so I can't judge...but I hope this consistent last minute penalties being awarded in the league will stop soon...its embarrassing...
Since you didn't watch then no need to condemn the penalties given,very unfair.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:31am On Dec 12, 2017
A moniker told me It should be based on 16/17 season. But hey rules don’t apply when people vote. I think Moses was the better player in 16/17 season. In fact I voted for him for that reason. But hey Mo has been firing all cylinders even after the shortlist was announced. That will surely sway some voters. I think Salah is the better player for this calendar year.
And to your point we are actually the most biased and sentimental. I strongly feel Mo won beacaiae Egyptians (football fans or not) voted for him overwhelmingly. He is revered in that country.

maidaboi:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:35am On Dec 12, 2017
You have marked yourself
goldfish80:

Lol.. I voted Salah. I'm neither sentimental Chelsea, Liverpool nor Arsenal Brit. I'm just an unbiased bystander who believes Mo deserved the crown. Better luck next time to Vic.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:38am On Dec 12, 2017
g0tze:
Super eagles sports fans, i am here to report to the house the childish and irresponsible behaviour of one of your own TheGoodJoe or Cityjoe. I have been his fan on this thread till he dabbled into some threads in the political section. His posts portrayed him as a full blown tribalist.
Anybody that knows TheGoodJoe should warned him to refrain from posting tribal comments on the political thread otherwise this once peaceful thread will become a theatre of war.

Oga, keep your tribal arguments in the politics section.

'Theatre of war' indeed!!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:41am On Dec 12, 2017
Both, until we have a GREAT bench.
We are going against teams with great depth. We cannot afford to lose big teams because of our poor bench anymore. No stone should be left unturned.

Modified
Like I would always say, apples and oranges. Looking for reinforcement will not hinder your trying to get the best out of your players.

elunico:
I have a question to ask. Is this the time to go about "looking for the best?" or is this the time for us to "bring out the best in what we already have?"

Kratoss, Kog45, Safarigirl, Mujtahida, TheGoodJoe, Komekn, Jihady, Icon4s, Icon79, Soetanoreoluwa, elyte89, Goke7, Jobie, Forgiveness, Somehow, goldfish80, Tbaba1234 + others who's got a thing to say.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:46am On Dec 12, 2017
tbaba1234:

Is it?

You just said unequivocally that Salah is the best in Africa. Is that also subjective?

I join mouth to say yes he is the best in Africa for this year. Had a good nations cup, his team came second. Did well with Roma, since Aug has set the epl alight, helped the pharaohs to make the wc since 17 years ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:47am On Dec 12, 2017
Hehe.. made my comment before seeing yours

elunico:

I've been a follower of this thread for a while now, although started posting comments today.

Joe is a grown ass man, he can do whatever the hell he wants, any where he wants online, we're not his parents. Just so that when he comes into this thread he takes off whatever cloak he puts on in other threads, we're cool.

You coming to threaten the peace of this thread is as empty as the loudest drum, as you'd be ignored to the extent you'd doubt your existence, I trust the group of matured people here.

Whatever issues you have who Joe, work them outside of here. Entendido?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:52am On Dec 12, 2017
Good point. Same reason why Toure lost to Auba — like a twist of fate.

goldfish80:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:53am On Dec 12, 2017
Taliban:

I join mouth to say yes he is the best in Africa for this year. Had a good nations cup, his team came second. Did well with Roma, since Aug has set the epl alight, helped the pharaohs to make the wc since 17 years ago.

I agree.

My point was that similar arguments could have been made for Mikel in 2013.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2346) (2347) (2348) (2349) (2350) (2351) (2352) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.