Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:52 AM

Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg (17491 Views)

Nigeria’s Stocks Among World’s Best-performers In 4 Months – Bloomberg / Bitcoin Plunges As Investors Suffer Reality Check / As Investors, What We All Need Is Safety Of Our Money. Check This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by agrovick(m): 10:23am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

It would only work if

1.The owners are willing to sell. And something tells me most of them won't sell. Forex is HIGHLY valuable right now.

2.And anyway...20bn is not enough. We need more than that. Much more.
Quick question
In a situation where we are food self sufficient and we are able to produce all we consume (technology and the likes) with little or non available for export.
Will the current challenge still be ongoing?
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by truthspeaks: 10:23am On Mar 31, 2016
D same foreign companies u r begging to come n invest n establish so as to boom our foreign reserves. Who wld come n set up a biz n cnt repatriate profits. Hw many of such companies r owned by Nigerians. D govt toughens both monetary n fiscal policies yet still dreams of increasing our forex. Yes, Pdp created a problem dat shldnt hv existed but it behoves on buhari to know Hw 2 balance regulations in such a way that some r relaxed n some r toughened. Thr z no 1way to solving evrytin. Weda we like it or not, certain compromise will hv 2 be made cos we dnt hv d technology for long term production for now.
Quakertellicus1:
In other words....the companies want us to loosen forex restrictions.

The problem is...we cannot do that...unless we have enough forex coming in. And with our economy pegged to oil ,we cannot do that. Oilprcies are low.

If we did as the companies are suggesting...it would make things worse faster.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by nell4: 10:24am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Eventually we would have to become strong in manufacturing.....which would mean more forex, and crucially,producing goods whose prices we can control.

We can no longer rely on oil, or even agric.

doesn't work like that bro. it is not like Nigerian made goods have not been selling.. country needs to work hand in hand before it can really stand alone. even china still produces for America.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by nell4: 10:26am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Eventually we would have to become strong in manufacturing.....which would mean more forex, and crucially,producing goods whose prices we can control.

We can no longer rely on oil, or even agric.

doesn't work like that bro. it is not like Nigerian made goods have not been selling.. country needs to work hand in hand both locall and internationally. even china still produces for America.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by NavierStokes(m): 10:27am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

my bros in real sense we hv 47+billions of dollars in the system yet bubu is clueless on what to do.
if he save n shore up the reserve to 200billion dollars n at the end 80million nigerians die of starvation n hunger, will it be a credit, achievement or minus to his integrity?

The government is always being economical with the truth at the detriment of the gullible masses. The same way they never came out clean on the true amount of subsidy, chosing to not reveal the 52% amount deducted by the NNPC, same way to convince the populace that there is no money they willfully chose not to include the 20billion USE owned by Nigerians in their reserves figures.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by mildflame: 10:27am On Mar 31, 2016
One by one all u ECONOMIC VAMPIRE n PARASITE are being EXPOSED
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by mildflame: 10:33am On Mar 31, 2016
disloman:
Do you mind them.What I believe is book economics won't solve Nigeria economy woes.We need practical approaches.We gat to go back to the basics before trying all these world bank ideas.Our economy is different from those of developed country.

You r a TRUE son of ur FATHER

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:33am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

[s]
these foreign investors r scared because of the cbn n buhari monetary policies.
I wan ask u question, do nigerian abroad acess dolls n send it back home?
no nigerian will be in a foreign country, invest n at the end of the day he cant repatriate some funds back home.
ask urself if u were these guys I mean d foreign investors, will u still put more monies into the country when u know u wont be able to repatriate it back home?
dont forget most of these investors collaborate with people back home n banks to get funds. so if u cant send funds atleast to repay the loans u took from banks back home, how will u put in more funds to that market.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by 36STATES: 10:37am On Mar 31, 2016
The dullard has to look for SS/SE experts to man the critical sectors of the economy. The Tinubus and their hausa masters are not equal to the task.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by engrchykae(m): 10:37am On Mar 31, 2016
A very complicated situation indeed.
This is no fault of pmb and it would have been better if we had saved during the good days but politics of bitterness made some former governors who are part of this change project to clamor for the sharing of the money.
Karma is a bitch indeed.
From what i could understand,the companies are only interested in their own profits while not minding how Nigeria will fare as a nation and i believe pmb made the best decision for our national interest.
The eventual fall of the foreign investors would definitely translate into the eventual rise of indigenous businesses.trust me we are ready to take over eg Dangote,IVM and others coupled with the spirit of enterpreneurism among our youths currently.
Before u call me a wailler or zombie,my party is ANC,madeba mandela's party.
Multi nationals are tools of neo colonialism so pmb more grease to elbow.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 10:38am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

[s]
these foreign investors r scared because of the cbn n buhari monetary policies.
I wan ask u question, do nigerian abroad acess dolls n send it back home?
no nigerian will be in a foreign country, invest n at the end of the day he cant repatriate some funds back home.
ask urself if u were these guys I mean d foreign investors, will u still put more monies into the country when u know u wont be able to repatriate it back home?
dont forget most of these investors collaborate with people back home n banks to get funds. so if u cant send funds atleast to repay the loans u took from banks back home, how will u put in more funds to that market.[/s]

First you don't know what you saying. So you think you know policies more than these fellows?
For a nation like nigeria, I think it's dying, purpose of coming to your country wasn't for money sake, but business sake, you don't have what they want or you want to witch hunt them, na run them go run na. We don't have energy, stable energy is a very big problem, the small one we have, cattle rearer day block am, yet his mismanagement of funds surpassed GEJ own. Extent he saves money to import grass for cattle... no be madness be that?

What a dying nation needs is stable energy and loosen up of policies not tighten it. The more things are made difficult, we not going anywhere.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by neocortex: 10:47am On Mar 31, 2016
SLIDEwaxie:
They kept going against Nigeria, and many are not seeing that this is all premeditated!!

Must we devalue our naira for you guys? Must we create an avenue where you invest and syphon back into your country? Because that is all you wanted!

To invest cheap and reap bountifully only for your to develop your land. You send returns and profits back to your parent company in your various countries and pay stipends as taxes here.

You disregard out citizens and strip is of our natural resources.

You take advantage of the greediness of the youths caused by laziness and use them against their own and yet with nothing to show to the host community.

Why do we have to devalue the naira with no source of supporting the economy with industrialization that may help to replenish the depleting reserve thru exportation?

You want us to use more money indirectly to buy products that you produce while you pay less to produce it!

It's that simple!

With this kind of thinking, one will think Buhari will shut all doors to foreign investors
but he isn't doing that , probably he is not as smart as you are.

I have never come across any investor(foreign or local) whose aim is not to make profit.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:48am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

willing to sell? how when they wont get d dollars either.
the new policy is even if u have 3dollars in ur account, u wont get the dollars at counter but naira equivalent, so the issue of willing or not is not in this context cos they dont hv any choice than to sell. 20billion dolls can build a functional refinery n with large refining capacity which at a long term will checkmate dangote's monopolistic refinery if it comes to light.
how much was nigerias foreign reserve in 1999? I heard 3billion dolls.
did the govt then achieve something? yes they did, mtn, econet, globacom came in. if buhari was in power then with this his archaic n ancient darkage policies, those guys wouldnt hv set their foot into nigeria not to talk of bringing monies to invest.
the joy of investment is putting money n be able to recoup ur profits.
imagine if betting companies restrict bettors from WITHDRAWING!

The entry of mobile networks and telephony into the Nigerian market had everything to do with policy changes and less to do with our foreign reserves.

As for the "joy of investment" you stated there, well, if allowing - using the example of a betting company as you posted above - the bettors unrestricted access to their money is counter productive to the people who have vested interests in the betting company, then there is a problem. If the betting company crashes, the bettors can simply move to a different betting company, leaving the stakeholders of the previous one in a quandary.

It's the same thing with the Nigerian system. If the Nigerian economy collapses and can no longer support any form of investment, portfolio investors will cut their losses and move out in search of greener pastures. Guess who can't cut losses and leave the country behind on a whim.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by neocortex: 10:52am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

Actually, they do.

The problem is if you devalue, you would spend more in naira for imported goods. Even for goods produced locally , you would spend more in naira because most of them depend on imported raw materials.This leads to price increases and inflation.

And it won't imporve our forex earnings....it would deplete them. Even if you bring in more foreign investors....they would set up manufacturing plants that rely on imported raw materials.....and that means more forex loss.

Eventually....you would have to take loans to keep things working...and we would be back to being a debt slave.

Yes...devaluation is going on....but the CBN is applying the brakes...while hoping the government gets alternative sources of forex.

You did not have this issue in the last govt because oil prices were high...meaning forex flowed into the country.Meaning...we had enough forex to import and do business. Not anymore.

This is meaningless in the current scheme of things, FG is to borrow billions of dollars to finance budget,
a government that is afraid of debt won't do such.
But I am not surprised by your response, since all you do is rationalise every government policy even
if it is incompatible with the stance of the FG itself.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by neocortex: 10:55am On Mar 31, 2016
ibedun:

You are highly ignorant! And I bet you have never left Nigeria (let alone Africa) in your life. There is international politics and economic structure. There is status quo. There is a reason some countries have nuclear and chemical biological weapons in their possession but yet do not want other countries to develop the same. There is a reason why some countries are almost permanently rich and others are permanently poor. Have you ever heard or read about the WTO? They have already designed the templates that will force Africa to remain dirt poor for the next 500 years. Portfolio investors are profit seekers not "investors".

Why does Buhari your god still run to the same people who want Nigeria to be poor ?
Conspiracy theorists are only good for one thing and that is entertainment.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Guyman02: 11:00am On Mar 31, 2016
This same Western media that criticized GEJ and supported PMB with propaganda before the elections is here again talking rubbish just because PMB refused to be a puppet as they had expected, this is the pressure we know he will undergo from the West for refusing to devalue the Naira so that there briefcase foreign investors can buy off our economy for cheap. Nonsense!
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by mazidavos(m): 11:00am On Mar 31, 2016
Inasmuch as I hate Buhari, I see this article as an unnecessary pressure by the US to pressure Nigeria into devaluating the Naira. The firmness with which Buhari has stood his ground against this pressure has always made me impressed...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by yaki84: 11:04am On Mar 31, 2016
gimakon:

First you don't know what you saying. So you think you know policies more than these fellows?
For a nation like nigeria, I think it's dying, purpose of coming to your country wasn't for money sake, but business sake, you don't have what they want or you want to witch hunt them, na run them go run na. We don't have energy, stable energy is a very big problem, the small one we have, cattle rearer day block am, yet his mismanagement of funds surpassed GEJ own. Extent he saves money to import grass for cattle... no be madness be that?

What a dying nation needs is stable energy and loosen up of policies not tighten it. The more things are made difficult, we not going anywhere.

bobo we r saying the same thing, atleast I had a credit in economics in my ssce but buhari had F9. so interms of policies am better off than buhari.

am a wailer and am against the tightening monetary policies of cbn n buhari.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by neocortex: 11:07am On Mar 31, 2016
wirinet:

Luring investors? You do not lure investors, they beg to come. Iran is not begging investors and yet many of them are lined up to invest in Iran after the sanctions has been lifted.

China did not need to lure US investors before they closed shop in the US and opened same in China. Once you put in place infrastructure and conducive corruption free business environment, foreign investors will troop in. It was corruption that drove the likes of virgin airlines, Vodafone, Siemens, etc, away.

The Nigerian business environments is too cumbersome and difficult for genuine foreign investor.

Iran had better tighten their forex or those investors will soon wreck Iran.
Investors are evil and must be chased out of Nigeria.
Sai Baba

What do you think ?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by princejenks(m): 11:10am On Mar 31, 2016
The only thing that seems to be working in this country is the presidential fleet which never lacks destinations to travel. This govt should start thinking of other ways to source dollars outside of the reserves without necessarily imposing restrictions on the dollar. It should start looking for ways to get some of the portfolio investors that left back into the country cos they constitute an alternative source of foreign exchange, another thing is to find a way of getting the people who have over 20billion dollars lying fallow in some domicillary accounts to borrow them some part of it to inject into the system

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Guyman02: 11:12am On Mar 31, 2016
Enough of the articles on the Port Folio and Briefcase western foreign investors. They repartriate profit back to their countries and adds little value to any country in Africa.
We dont have any need to devalue the Naira for them
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:13am On Mar 31, 2016
yaki84:

bobo we r saying the same thing, atleast I had a credit in economics in my ssce but buhari had F9. so interms of policies am better off than buhari.

am a wailer and am against the tightening monetary policies of cbn n buhari.

grin e be like say no be you I wan quote. No vex.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by seguno2: 11:19am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:
4.Finally...either way...we must improve forex intake...which for me means we become manufacturers of goods for export. That is the best route.

Practically, how do we become manufacturers of goods for export, from where we are now?
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by chinchum(m): 11:25am On Mar 31, 2016
LordVarys:

Let's compare with the Egyptians who recently devalued theirs.

http://m.mgafrica.com/article/2016-03-27-nigeria-vs-egypt-on-the-economy-who-is-smarter-seems-sisi-is-besting-buhari

If you read the article you posted, you will see that when the egyptian pounds was officially devalued, the rate for the egyptian pounds at the parallel market got worse. The moment Naira is officially devalued, it will begin to post worse performance at the parallel market than it is currently at.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by seguno2: 11:27am On Mar 31, 2016
wirinet:
Luring investors? You do not lure investors, they beg to come. Iran is not begging investors and yet many of them are lined up to invest in Iran after the sanctions has been lifted.

China did not need to lure US investors before they closed shop in the US and opened same in China. Once you put in place infrastructure and conducive corruption free business environment, foreign investors will troop in. It was corruption that drove the likes of virgin airlines, Vodafone, Siemens, etc, away.

The Nigerian business environments is too cumbersome and difficult for genuine foreign investor.

The investors are also lining up to pour money into Cuba.
Such investments create employment and the multiplier effect means that profit and capital repatriated freely still leaves plenty inside the national economy to grow especially if the people re-invest and plough back their own gains instead of just partying away.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Nobody: 11:30am On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

The problem is...we cannot do that...unless we have enough forex coming in. And with our economy pegged to oil ,we cannot do that. Oilprcies are low.

Buarri is destroying the Nigerian economy same way Sanusi destroyed the banking system..

There is always a suitable equilibrium in every circumstance but these hausa boys will never find it..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Ritchiee: 11:37am On Mar 31, 2016
wirinet:

Which investors are fleeing from Nigeria ? Which investors came to Nigeria in the first place? The only investors that comes to corruption infested country like Nigeria are the Chinese, the Indians, the Lebanese and lately, the south Africans, the western investors only engage in portfolio investment. Portfolio investors are like predators, they prey on weak economies. They do not create jobs or add value to the economy.

The same west that imposed SAP on us, which we are yet to recover from are still the same people telling us how to run our economy.

If we make the tough decisions now, we will
be one year ahead of 80 percent of the countries
in the race to economic growth. If we fail to
act, we will fall even further behind.
By going first, we can become first.
We have been doing things the western world's ways and we are still going down and down.
We must change and think and act according to what obtains here,let us use our God given talents for once
without listening to all these self acclaimed foreign economists who are misleading African countries so they can remain permanently poor and their first world countries remain perpetually rich.
Let us leave the comity of beggar and poor nations.
We have all the potentials to become great but we must remember that...
NO PAIN,NO GAIN.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Ritchiee: 11:43am On Mar 31, 2016
seguno2:

Practically, how do we become manufacturers of goods for export, from where we are now?
Bro,do you believe that necessity is the mother even father of invention?
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Olabestonic001(m): 11:58am On Mar 31, 2016
36STATES:
The dullard has to look for SS/SE experts to man the critical sectors of the economy. The Tinubus and their hausa masters are not equal to the task.

This one na real economics mumu!
Bringing your warped tribalism to economics is folly. Emefiele is from that extraction, remember.
The problem is that buying and selling is in no way economics.
Buying and selling is just a very minute fragment.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by eseoghene144: 12:13pm On Mar 31, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

EXACTLY
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by malton: 12:22pm On Mar 31, 2016
Almajiri1:

These only happen when a baboon Nepa certificate holder is given executive powers.
You keep shouting 'baboon nepa certificate holder' up and down with no respect whatsoever for a man old enough to be your father. It's wrong, misguided and ignorant of you.

In the end, it's yourself you're embarrassing.
Re: Nigeria's Promise Turns To Peril As Investors Flee-Bloomberg by Ugosample(m): 12:28pm On Mar 31, 2016
ibedun:

You are highly ignorant! And I bet you have never left Nigeria (let alone Africa) in your life. There is international politics and economic structure. There is status quo. There is a reason some countries have nuclear and chemical biological weapons in their possession but yet do not want other countries to develop the same. There is a reason why some countries are almost permanently rich and others are permanently poor. Have you ever heard or read about the WTO? They have already designed the templates that will force Africa to remain dirt poor for the next 500 years. Portfolio investors are profit seekers not "investors".

Lol
Really?
African people and leaders are not serious people, and always do blame game. That is why Africa remains poor. A continent filled with clannish uneducated and uninformed people.

I agree Africa has made progress BUT this is the sad truth.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Interest Rates On Fixed Time/tenure Deposits In Nigerian Banks / Meet The Young Entrepreneurs / How Make $200 On VISTALOG ( Is Vistalog Legit)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.