Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,629 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:57 AM

See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe (1793 Views)

The Two Words That Caused Africa's Underdevelopment / Bronx NYC Fire ’caused By Child Playing’ / Ooni Ogunwusi And Wife At Lagos Airport On Their Way To The US, Caused A Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by nspodcast1: 7:19pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nigeria’s Anti-Gay Law is evidently, and clearly not about marriage, but about criminalizing human rights. This law has over the years since it was enacted, promoted violence, mob attacks, illegal arrest, extortion, and has even caused the death of many within the Nigerian LGBT community.

Olubiyi who is a Nigerian Health Rights Activist, in this article, clearly points out some of the major terrible setbacks that the community has suffered ever since Ex-Nigerian president, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, increased the heights of homophobia and discrimination against sexual minorities, by signing into the law, the Same-Sex Marriage Prohibition Act.

NEGLECT FOR TRUE JUSTICE

The authorities’ response to mob attacks and other forms of anti-gay violence has been limited. Officials rarely condemn the attacks. Police, even in the few instances in which they provide protection to victims, have not arrested anyone for participating in or inciting these attacks.

Nigeria lost its humanity long ago; our previous homophobic president nailed the coffin of humanity some years back. My heart bleeds for the departed ones who have lost their lives. It’s hard to be yourself in a country where 90% have black and black brain. This has been made evidently obvious by the lack of the government’s lack of interference in the case of Akinnifesi Olumide Olubunmi who was recently murdered in Ondo state for being gay.

DISCRIMINATION

Every human deserves the dignity and not to extend this would violate our humanity. Life is sacred and must be respected. Homosexuality is not the totality of some ones identity, it doesn’t make someone a bad person, and it is only one aspect of their humanness. Advanced societies can be measured by how they protect the weak and vulnerable, so as a moral community, we can therefore have issues with the act, while showing compassion to people with this orientation.

The Nigerian society generally regards homosexuality as the most unacceptable sexual orientation, which means that gay men, lesbians and bisexual people may be marginalized and discriminated against.

HOMELESSNESS

After being discovered later by homophobic family or guardian, many LGBT youth are thrown out of their home, mistreated or made the focus of their families dysfunction.

Homelessness is a critical issue for the lesbian, gay, bisexual community in Nigeria.

For far too long, too many of our young people have been kicked out of their homes by their families and guardians, forced to live on the streets, for simply being who they are.

This has been a national disgrace of epidemic proportions.

Indeed, Improved Sexual Health and Rights Advocacy Initiative (ISHRAI) teams report found that young LGBT people in Nigeria make up a disproportionate number of runaway and homeless youth.

SUBSTANCE ABUSE

There are many challenges unique to most at risk population. Although every LGBT person is subject to the psychological consequences of social stigma and discrimination, depression feeds into substance abuse, which in turn leads to high-risk sexual behavior.

Written by Oludipe Olubiyi

Follow here to read more post like this: http://www.nostringsng.com

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by MRBrownJ: 7:59pm On Mar 31, 2016
as much as this law may be discriminatory to gays and lesbians around the world, this is the Nigerian law and anyone hoping to break this law in Nigeria should get the hell out 1st.

as much as i have many gay/lesbian friends, nobody is above the law. that would be just as crazy as me being upset because drug dealers are killed in China etc, while this is their laws.

if you cant stand the heat, stay the hell out of the kitchen!
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by nspodcast1: 9:14pm On Mar 31, 2016
Please note that, homosexuality is a valid human sexual orientation, and harms no one. Homosexuals are humans, and they too also have rights that must be respected. These laws are discriminatory, and Nigeria is a secular society, an equal society, meaning that it belongs to everyone, and so everyone must be treated equally, and be allowed to EXPRESS their love to whom ever and however. Majority cannot decide for the minority, in every society their is always a minority, and its the duty of the majority to protect the minority. Thanks.
MRBrownJ:
as much as this law may be discriminatory to gays and lesbians around the world, this is the Nigerian law and anyone hoping to break this law in Nigeria should get the hell out 1st.

as much as i have many gay/lesbian friends, nobody is above the law. that would be just as crazy as me being upset because drug dealers are killed in China etc, while this is their laws.

if you cant stand the heat, stay the hell out of the kitchen!

1 Like

Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by MRBrownJ: 10:00pm On Mar 31, 2016
nspodcast1:
Please note that, homosexuality is a valid human sexual orientation, and harms no one. Homosexuals are humans, and they too also have rights that must be respected. These laws are discriminatory, and Nigeria is a secular society, an equal society, meaning that it belongs to everyone, and so everyone must be treated equally, and be allowed to EXPRESS their love to whom ever and however. Majority cannot decide for the minority, in every society their is always a minority, and its the duty of the majority to protect the minority. Thanks.

sadly, there are many acts that are valid, harm no one, yet are against the law in Nigeria (check abortion for instance)... and thats because Nigeria is a VERY religious country (whether Christian/muslim) and their holy book is strongly against homosexuality. who are we kidding? marriage is a big deal in Africa, and homosexuality goes against it. laws in every countries are made FOR the majority of its people, and if they are against a sexual orientation, then you best believe that there will be laws against (or in favour of) such act... hey, its ok for an adult to marry a child in Nigeria!

such law actually protects gays and lesbians because if they didnt have to hide, they would be lynched on site, with such super religious/homophobic Nigerians.
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by nspodcast1: 10:34pm On Apr 02, 2016
This is exactly why there should be a clear distinction between the law and religion, the two can never mix. If it does, then there is bound to be disorder in the society. Take the issue of Boko Haram as a case study. Love cannot be hidden.
MRBrownJ:

sadly, there are many acts that are valid, harm no one, yet are against the law in Nigeria (check abortion for instance)... and thats because Nigeria is a VERY religious country (whether Christian/muslim) and their holy book is strongly against homosexuality. who are we kidding? marriage is a big deal in Africa, and homosexuality goes against it. laws in every countries are made FOR the majority of its people, and if they are against a sexual orientation, then you best believe that there will be laws against (or in favour of) such act... hey, its ok for an adult to marry a child in Nigeria!

such law actually protects gays and lesbians because if they didnt have to hide, they would be lynched on site, with such super religious/homophobic Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 02, 2016
MrBrownJ don't be stupid! undecided
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by Nobody: 10:45pm On Apr 02, 2016
nspodcast1:
This is exactly why there should be a clear distinction between the law and religion, the two can never mix. If it does, then there is bound to be disorder in the society. Take the issue of Boko Haram as a case study. Love cannot be hidden.
well said
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 03, 2016
Live and let live
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by MRBrownJ: 10:34pm On Apr 03, 2016
nspodcast1:

doesnt BH want to impose sharia law in Nigeria? actually, if i'd follow your way of thinking, we should let them do what they desire?! hell no! there NEEDS to be laws so that everyone doesnt just do what they bloody please, in the name of "liberty/respect for all".

if you have a problem with the law, then go in the street and campaign to have it changed, but until then, FOLLOW THE LAW.

as for the law and religion, sadly its too late to try to change that.... try going to any court to realise that!
Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by nspodcast1: 6:26am On Apr 04, 2016
You seem not to understand, I mean if two consenting adults fall in love with each other, and are engaged in an act of love with each other, and nothing is been forced on them. what is your problem with that? Imposing Sharia Law or any form of religious law is different, why? Because it will affect those who do not choose to partake in its practices.
MRBrownJ:

doesnt BH want to impose sharia law in Nigeria? actually, if i'd follow your way of thinking, we should let them do what they desire?! hell no! there NEEDS to be laws so that everyone doesnt just do what they bloody please, in the name of "liberty/respect for all".

if you have a problem with the law, then go in the street and campaign to have it changed, but until then, FOLLOW THE LAW.

as for the law and religion, sadly its too late to try to change that.... try going to any court to realise that!

2 Likes

Re: See What Nigeria’s Homophobia Has Caused – By Olubiyi Oludipe by MRBrownJ: 3:32pm On Apr 04, 2016
nspodcast1:
You seem not to understand, I mean if two consenting adults fall in love with each other, and are engaged in an act of love with each other, and nothing is been forced on them. what is your problem with that?

please, dont get me me wrong and stick to the issue, I (MBJ) have nothing against gays and lesbians, and if you had read carefully my 1st comment, you would have understood that clearly. what i am against is people who think they can break the law (just because that it is in their own interest to do so), and NOT get punished for it. here is a simple clue: what you desire is today AGAINST THE LAW in Nigeria, and you have only 3 ways out.... you can either A) protest to have the law changed, B) abide by the damn laws of Nigeria or C) relocate to a country where its ok to be a homosexual ... but until then, STAND BY THE LAW. trying to be gay/lesbians at all cost in a country like Nigeria, where such practice is looked down upon by the masses, will simply have you killed!

what you wrote is as stoopid as me being from Dubai and demanding to kiss in public, while the law AND the majority of the country is against such practice... get real!

Imposing Sharia Law or any form of religious law is different, why? Because it will affect those who do not choose to partake in its practices.

well, listening to your argument, then they have the RIGHT to do whatever they please, and therefore if thats what they want for their BH communities, they should be allowed to do so... regardless of the NIGERIAN LAW, right? isnt it the point you are trying to make? everybody doing what the hell they desire in Nigeria... regardless of the law.

as i said, this law actually protects gays and lesbians because you know damn well that you would be lynched AND killed, on the spot, if you try to openly be gay in the streets of Nigeria (lesbians might get a better chance). here you are wanting to FORCE people to accept/recognize your sexuality, when it is NOT socially/religiously right for the majority of Nigerians. you want to be able to walk around hand in hand, kiss etc and subsequently, offend the majority of Nigerians, while you know damn well how homophobic they are.... get real, Nigeria is NOT ready for openly gays and lesbians!

(1) (Reply)

20 Things I Hate About Lagos State. / SHOCKING PHOTO! See How King Mswati From Swaziland Select A V!rgin To Marry / America Soldier Traces His Root To Igbo Of Biafra, Says.. "I Am Very Happy T

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.