Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,527 members, 7,837,013 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? (701 Views)

Nigerian Christians Protesting In Akure Against Killings In Benue And Others / Are Christians The Only People Who Will Go To Heaven? / 10 Ways Nigerian Christians Are Killing Christianity But Don’t Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by olufemimajek: 5:42am On Apr 03, 2016
Every morning I wake up, I’m hit with “Godly” messages on my phone and on my radio. Friends and family send messages of “Thanking God for today” and praying for today. At this point, I’m immune to all that. I respect people for their beliefs and all that. But I do get bothered by some of the blatant hypocrisy by so called christians especially when they don’t know they are being hypocrites. A survey was conducted not too long ago which asked the question, “Do You Consider Yourself Religious?” Interestingly enough, most African respondents answered “yes” with Ghana and Nigeria being in the high 90% with respondents in Europe and Asia being in the low numbers.

If a person does consider himself/herself religious, one would expect that country/community to have high morals and follow the laws as its said in the Bible right? Not so fast. A recent Transparency International survey reported that most of the countries which reported a high perception of corruption in their country were from Africa with South Africa, Ghana and Nigeria making headlines.

So the question is: If we are so religious as we claim, then why are we so corrupt compared to other countries where people don’t associate to be with any religion?

It’s funny to see public officials who swear on Bibles and Qu’rans to uphold the laws of the country and be of moral standing and then be involved in scandals involving bribing and cronyism

Pot calling the kettle black?

Even churches are not immune. Churches, where people go for all night services, prayer services, cross over nights and so on are the worst institutions where corruption and immorality breeds. There have been far too many stories of pastors sleeping with women from their congregation and charging “consulting fees” for members of the church. The people or sheep who attend these church services are not doing themselves any favors. They go to these churches, read the world of God and pray but still come out the same. It’s like going to the bathroom, being all dirty and still coming out dirty after their done bathing

I know people who post daily quotes from the Bible and get all preachy but in their personal lives, they don’t really practice what they preach. Why stand on moral high ground when you’re just like everybody else: Sinful and imperfect.

I can go on and on with this topic. But I think I’ll stop here.

Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by Karlovich: 6:03am On Apr 03, 2016
Religion is a huge scam
Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by coolebux(m): 6:22am On Apr 03, 2016
Hey!

Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by Oche211(m): 6:24am On Apr 03, 2016
Really?
Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by coolebux(m): 6:25am On Apr 03, 2016
That awkward moment when you intend to impress your likes but ended up fooling yourself

I only see a religious fanatic doing his stunt.
Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by cassidy1996(m): 7:10am On Apr 03, 2016
ok
Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by DopeBoiRapy(m): 7:16am On Apr 03, 2016
olufemimajek:
Every morning I wake up, I’m hit with “Godly” messages on my phone and on my radio. Friends and family send messages of “Thanking God for today” and praying for today. At this point, I’m immune to all that. I respect people for their beliefs and all that. But I do get bothered by some of the blatant hypocrisy by so called christians especially when they don’t know they are being hypocrites. A survey was conducted not too long ago which asked the question, “Do You Consider Yourself Religious?” Interestingly enough, most African respondents answered “yes” with Ghana and Nigeria being in the high 90% with respondents in Europe and Asia being in the low numbers.

If a person does consider himself/herself religious, one would expect that country/community to have high morals and follow the laws as its said in the Bible right? Not so fast. A recent Transparency International survey reported that most of the countries which reported a high perception of corruption in their country were from Africa with South Africa, Ghana and Nigeria making headlines.

So the question is: If we are so religious as we claim, then why are we so corrupt compared to other countries where people don’t associate to be with any religion?

It’s funny to see public officials who swear on Bibles and Qu’rans to uphold the laws of the country and be of moral standing and then be involved in scandals involving bribing and cronyism

Pot calling the kettle black?

Even churches are not immune. Churches, where people go for all night services, prayer services, cross over nights and so on are the worst institutions where corruption and immorality breeds. There have been far too many stories of pastors sleeping with women from their congregation and charging “consulting fees” for members of the church. The people or sheep who attend these church services are not doing themselves any favors. They go to these churches, read the world of God and pray but still come out the same. It’s like going to the bathroom, being all dirty and still coming out dirty after their done bathing

I know people who post daily quotes from the Bible and get all preachy but in their personal lives, they don’t really practice what they preach. Why stand on moral high ground when you’re just like everybody else: Sinful and imperfect.

I can go on and on with this topic. But I think I’ll stop here.

O.P i love this......this has been bothering me ever since i became a man. U r a man if insight,wisdom n conviction.unlike pple who r so gullible wen ever it concerns religion....i think religion especially in Nigeria is a huge scam too....
Re: Are Nigerian Christians The Biggest Frauds Ever? by Tallesty1(m): 8:04am On Apr 03, 2016
I think Nigeria is this corrupt(though it is not among the top 6 most corrupt countries on earth) because it is made up of three major ethnic groups (Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba) with different ideologies.

So it is like "get what you can while the union lasts", religion is just a scapegoat.

Power is what breeds corruption, not religion.

I think we will fare better when IPOB are given what they want, likewise IPOO and IPOA but then Nigeria will cease to exist.

(1) (Reply)

T.b. Joshua Speaks On Nationwide Food Scarcity / Hajj: Another Stampede In Mecca / The Secret Place.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.