Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,428 members, 7,822,982 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria (867 Views)

Half Unclad Women Celebrate Their Culture In Rivers State. Photos / Young Ladies Almost Got Unclad In The Name Of Culture In Rivers State / CULTURE :which Culture In Nigeria Has The Most Beautiful Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria by JimG(m): 7:34pm On Apr 04, 2016
Hi everyone,

I intend to hire a few people in Nigeria, but before that I'd just like to ask a few questions regarding the internet and work culture in your country. Do forgive me for any ignorance that I may show. I wasn't also sure of the appropriate sub-forum to post this in. For ease of reading I'll number my questions.

1. I've been doing some research on the internet connectivity and computer ownership rates of the country, and while I understand that it is getting increasingly connected, it is mostly so through mobile data (3g/4g). Does this mean that (generally) most Nigerians do not use laptops/PCs for their internet access? This is somewhat key to me; it is necessary for the employees to have internet access to a computer.

2. If most people do generally own computers, is it affordable to the average Nigerian? How many Naira does the average 2GB-20GB data plan cost? Doing some looking around has given me wildly different rates, so I am still unsure about this.

3. Since I am a foreigner and not resident in Nigeria, I will have to figure out a way to remunerate the people working with me. What is the most preferred way to do this? Paypal, or through some other broker/provider? I understand that the CBN doesn't want to trade the USD with the Naira at its real value, causing a black market to exist. I ask because I feel it's easier to pay in USD, and the employee can change it him/herself.

I am not a Nigerian, nor have I ever been to Nigeria (the most contact I have with Nigerians boil down to a few friends), so these forums are the only way I can ask questions.

Thank you in advance if you've looked through my post! And do forgive me if I have posted anything inappropriate.

PS. If it is appropriate, could I ask as to what the average Nigerian internet user constitutes a fair wage to be (whether it's in hour/day/week/month or naira/any other currency)? If it is not, please do ignore this question.
Re: Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria by JimG(m): 12:56am On Apr 06, 2016
Anybody?
Re: Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria by hungryboy(m): 10:04am On Apr 11, 2016
JimG:
Anybody?
internet connection here is mostly on mobile phones, and we do have a substantial computer literate population.
Re: Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria by hungryboy(m): 10:11am On Apr 11, 2016
Computers and Laptops are not cheap, so, the level of Laptop ownership is low,
A typical 20gb data plan won't cost you more than 20k naira, which is about $64 considering the present exchange rate,
And paying your workers through paypal will be a no, since the can't withdraw,
Through western union will be the best
Re: Internet And Work Culture In Nigeria by JimG(m): 12:34am On Apr 14, 2016
hungryboy:
Computers and Laptops are not cheap, so, the level of Laptop ownership is low,
A typical 20gb data plan won't cost you more than 20k naira, which is about $64 considering the present exchange rate,
And paying your workers through paypal will be a no, since the can't withdraw,
Through western union will be the best

Thanks for the advice hungryboy! While this may not be the greatest news at least i'm aware of the potential problems that might arise. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Are U Guys Noticing These White Girls Here? / I need to get this right / Yorubas Are Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.