Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Whatsapp Launches ‘’end-to-end’’ User Encryption - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Whatsapp Launches ‘’end-to-end’’ User Encryption (1415 Views)

Whatsapp Launches New 'status' Feature For Sharing Videos And Photos / Whatsapp Launches “status” / Whatsapp Is Now Entirely End-to-end Encrypted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whatsapp Launches ‘’end-to-end’’ User Encryption by marksooyinmiebi(m): 9:10pm On Apr 05, 2016
Hello People.

I’d just updated my WhatsApp messenger which has been prompting for updates for over a week. Ayo was close by so I decided to use his Wi-Fi hotspot to have this updates… you all know that feeling when you’re using a free Wi-Fi.. For me it’s like sleeping early loll.
After the updates, I rushed to check my chats and as I was going through I came across a strange message that reads...

‘’Messages you send this chat and calls are now secured with end-to-end encryption. Tap for more info.’’

At first I was surprised but after I taped the message I got to discover that WhatsApp has launch an encryption that covers both calls and messages.
What this encryption simply means is that no one will see your messages or calls except the sender or the receiver… this puzzled me for a while.. And left me asking ‘’does it means they’ve been reading and listening to our calls? Maybe 

Well, here’s a cut from WhatsApp.com

“”Privacy and Security is in our DNA
From day one, we built WhatsApp to help you stay in touch with friends, share vital information during natural disasters, reconnect with separated families, or seek a better life. Some of your most personal moments are shared with WhatsApp, which is why we built end-to-end encryption into the latest versions of our app. When end-to-end encrypted, your messages, photos, videos, voice messages, documents, and calls are secured from falling into the wrong hands.

Security by Default
WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption is available when you and the people you message use the latest versions of our app. Many messaging apps only encrypt messages between you and them, but WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption ensures only you and the person you're communicating with can read what is sent, and nobody in between, not even WhatsApp. This is because your messages are secured with a lock, and only the recipient and you have the special key needed to unlock and read them. For added protection, every message you send has its own unique lock and key. All of this happens automatically: no need to turn on settings or set up special secret chats to secure your messages.

Speak Freely
WhatsApp Calling lets you talk to your friends and family, even if they're in another country. Just like your messages, WhatsApp calls are end-to-end encrypted so WhatsApp and third parties can't listen to them.

Messages that Stay with You
Your messages should be in your hands. That's why WhatsApp doesn't store your messages on our servers once we deliver them, and end-to-end encryption means that WhatsApp and third parties can't read them anyway.

See for Yourself
WhatsApp lets you check whether the calls you make and messages you send are end-to-end encrypted. Simply look for the indicator in contact info or group info.

Get the Details
Read an in-depth technical explanation of WhatsApp's end-to-end encryption, developed in collaboration with Open Whisper Systems.””

You’ve read it yourself...

To enable this encryption simply;

1. Update WhatsApp message from www.whatsapp.com
2. Make sure your contact has had their WhatsApp updated as well.
3. When the encryption message pops up tap it and HIT verify
4. A bar code will appear scan this send this bar code to your contact for them to verify.
5. Afterwards, the process it completely done.
Enjoy .

http://www.ogamark.com/2016/04/whatsapp-launches-end-to-end-user.html

(1) (Reply)

Google Launches Allo, A 'smarter' Messaging Platform; Duo, A Video Calling App / Ntel 4g Lte Coverage In Lekki Awoyaya / Vidmate App Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.