Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. (1149 Views)

Palm Oil Biz.. How I Lost My First Capital / FG Declares Emergency Over Fuel Scarcity / How I Lost Over #20000 Through My Misplaced ATM Card.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 5:22pm On Apr 06, 2016
Complains will never be effective as prayers will do for things to come back to how they are supposed to be in this great nation, Nigeria.
Several have been told or heard how people lost their jobs and how it's also difficult to get through the teething stage been an entrepreneur in Nigeria of today.

Am one of those that picked up business idea mid last year for several reasons, if not be able to employ many for now, but for my survival and to take care of the family. Running through the year as a starter has been 7 ups and 21 downs since we got started.
The challenges were numerous, they come and we overpower them by his grace. Finances, rent in Lagos, logistics, awareness and others are what we have been busy putting in place for about a year now.
working this out was not a child's play. as much as I like to share my few experience as an entrepreneur without blaming the government or her policies, it got to me painfully as I lost my first contract to fuel scarcity, (better put)as I was unable to get fuel at a fuel station between Tuesday evening till Wednesday noon.
I was supposed to be at Lekki by 9am today 6th of April to receive authorization letter to commence the job I should be doing first as an entrepreneur, which I need to be sighted with my men and equipment to commence immediately after receiving the letter.

after signing and agreeing on the terms at Ikeja at about 3pm yesterday, I noticed the fuel in the car will not take me out of mainland, even as I still need to do one or two running before setting out to Lekki the following day. I received info that they are selling fuel somewhere at Ikeja, I rushed there, the situation was uneasy, I from there drove to Ogba where I was hopeful till I saw the station closed for the day as they said the have sold all, even in the reserved tank. My car at the moment didn't have up to 2 liters in the tank. thinking of a way out, I saw a tank coming in to offload at about 9pm as my hope rose again.
To make it short, despite 2 trucks came to offload before I left the station this afternoon, my car didn't move an inch from where It was parked.
I left there few hours when I receive a message that our service will no longer be required as I couldn't make it up even with the added time given to me to be at lekki this morning.

am only thinking, was it all my fault?

Is there anything I could have done instead?

but, what do I need to learn from this for it not to happen again?

Oh! I forgot to say this that I eventually bought 5 liters for N2,500 to take me home.

#amhopeful as I believe prayer will do better than complaining.

#mybizmustsurvive
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by phemsie(m): 5:38pm On Apr 06, 2016
you could have opted for black market instead. it's readily available, though at a higher cost.

at least you know what is at stake.

you caused it all....

4 Likes

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by iykepromotions: 6:49pm On Apr 06, 2016
Don't worry, the offer is not just for you. assuming it's your's they will wait or give you more time. better offers ahead. #moveon
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 7:01pm On Apr 06, 2016
phemsie:
you could have opted for black market instead. it's readily available, though at a higher cost.

at least you know what is at stake.

you caused it all....

Getting 5ltrs /2k5h,how much am I going to buy 25ltrs.
Thanks anyway, cos I thought of buying black market to move myself anyway just to start d biz relationship... But it was not convenient for a deal without no upfront payment.....
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 7:03pm On Apr 06, 2016
iykepromotions:
Don't worry, the offer is not just for you. assuming it's your's they will wait or give you more time. better offers ahead. #moveon

Thanks and a big amen.
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by GenOrumov: 11:56pm On Apr 06, 2016
@ Phestosuah, as a businessman I understand how you feel and I am sure God will compensate you with a bigger contract than the one you lost.

But when next you find yourself in that situation, park your car somewhere safe, leave your boys behind and take public transport. Even though image (like riding a car) is important in business, in this period of fuel scarcity the company giving out the contract will surely understand your plight if you don't drive a car to their premises.

2 Likes

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by 9japrof(m): 6:12am On Apr 07, 2016
iykepromotions:

lame excuse for gullible lazy minds you can't think out of the box but claim to be religious.

I blame the OP, fuel scarcity ain't an excuse more especially comparing the years and effort he has put into making his business a reality.

buying black market was an option no matter the price, using public cab was another ( explaining to the client why you have to use a cab would be understandable) Buh you slept in the station wasting valuable time and energy and still were shameless to post it up here. Haba bros.

Next time seize your opportunity cos this is how life time opportunities are being missed.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 8:44pm On Apr 07, 2016
GenOrumov:
@ Phestosuah, as a businessman I understand how you feel and I am sure God will compensate you with a bigger contract than the one you lost.

But when next you find yourself in that situation, park your car somewhere safe, leave your boys behind and take public transport. Even though image (like riding a car) is important in business, in this period of fuel scarcity the company giving out the contract will surely understand your plight if you don't drive a car to their premises.

Yeah, do appreciate ur view....
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by arisanate(m): 8:50am On Apr 08, 2016
GOD BLESS YOU . IF I KNOW YOU , I would give you a small stout grin.. most peole in the country now blames spirtual more than physical. You blame what you cannot see .. imagine option lined up for you ..bros that wrote this complain, the country dont owe you shit embarassed .. So blame yourself for loosing a deal, or are you telling me you got no friend that has a car if your priority is to go with car. but am not trying to make you angry.. cool what am trying to say, sit ur a$$ up and get your company started no matter what.... nothing will stop you if you you are unstoppable.. not even the president of Nigeria.. cheers
9japrof:

lame excuse for gullible lazy minds you can't think out of the box but claim to be religious.

I blame the OP, fuel scarcity ain't an excuse more especially comparing the years and effort he has put into making his business a reality.

buying black market was an option no matter the price, using public cab was another ( explaining to the client why you have to use a cab would be understandable) Buh you slept in the station wasting valuable time and energy and still were shameless to post it up here. Haba bros.

Next time seize your opportunity cos this is how life time opportunities are being missed.

1 Like

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by amdman: 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2016
It is Buhari's fault... It is the filling station's fault... It is the contract employer's fault... heck it is destiny's fault... It is everyone's fault, but not my fault that I could not find fuel or meet an appointment.

The above are reasons businesses fail in Nigeria. EXCUSES! This is however not acceptable in today's globalised economy.

If you want to grow your business, make a commitment to get the job done no matter the cost or challenges. Think fast... Innovate... or otherwise die.

1 Like

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 08, 2016
Phestosuah:
Complains will never be effective as prayers will do for things to come back to how they are supposed to be in this great nation, Nigeria.
Several have been told or heard how people lost their jobs and how it's also difficult to get through the teething stage been an entrepreneur in Nigeria of today.

Am one of those that picked up business idea mid last year for several reasons, if not be able to employ many for now, but for my survival and to take care of the family. Running through the year as a starter has been 7 ups and 21 downs since we got started.
The challenges were numerous, they come and we overpower them by his grace. Finances, rent in Lagos, logistics, awareness and others are what we have been busy putting in place for about a year now.
working this out was not a child's play. as much as I like to share my few experience as an entrepreneur without blaming the government or her policies, it got to me painfully as I lost my first contract to fuel scarcity, (better put)as I was unable to get fuel at a fuel station between Tuesday evening till Wednesday noon.
I was supposed to be at Lekki by 9am today 6th of April to receive authorization letter to commence the job I should be doing first as an entrepreneur, which I need to be sighted with my men and equipment to commence immediately after receiving the letter.

after signing and agreeing on the terms at Ikeja at about 3pm yesterday, I noticed the fuel in the car will not take me out of mainland, even as I still need to do one or two running before setting out to Lekki the following day. I received info that they are selling fuel somewhere at Ikeja, I rushed there, the situation was uneasy, I from there drove to Ogba where I was hopeful till I saw the station closed for the day as they said the have sold all, even in the reserved tank. My car at the moment didn't have up to 2 liters in the tank. thinking of a way out, I saw a tank coming in to offload at about 9pm as my hope rose again.
To make it short, despite 2 trucks came to offload before I left the station this afternoon, my car didn't move an inch from where It was parked.
I left there few hours when I receive a message that our service will no longer be required as I couldn't make it up even with the added time given to me to be at lekki this morning.

am only thinking, was it all my fault?

Is there anything I could have done instead?

but, what do I need to learn from this for it not to happen again?

Oh! I forgot to say this that I eventually bought 5 liters for N2,500 to take me home.

#amhopeful as I believe prayer will do better than complaining.

#mybizmustsurvive

u be learner or story teller ....he could park the car and enter bus or blow bike to lekki or buy black market ,abi na contract to supply akara ....if not how will the above option not come to mind from a Nigerian lagosian for that matter

1 Like

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 8:13pm On Apr 08, 2016
arisanate:
GOD BLESS YOU . IF I KNOW YOU , I would give you a small stout grin.. most peole in the country now blames spirtual more than physical. You blame what you cannot see .. imagine option lined up for you ..bros that wrote this complain, the country dont owe you shit embarassed .. So blame yourself for loosing a deal, or are you telling me you got no friend that has a car if your priority is to go with car. but am not trying to make you angry.. cool what am trying to say, sit ur a$$ up and get your company started no matter what.... nothing will stop you if you you are unstoppable.. not even the president of Nigeria.. cheers

Frustration can make one loose the reasoning skills at times.
And another thing was that, I got all my equipment to be used in my car.
I was not just going to negotiate....
The anxiety was too high bn my first, that I wanted to build reputable image.....getting there on point and maintaining the marketing standard.
In short, those options are not the best image for wat we are trying to paint the coy(like someone suggested I shld fly bike from Ikeja to lekki...haba!)
I will definitely step up my game next time, am assuring u.
Thanks for taking time to reply.
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 9:03pm On Apr 08, 2016
Alikote:
u be learner or story teller ....he could park the car and enter bus or blow bike to lekki or buy black market ,abi na contract to supply akara ....if not how will the above option not come to mind from a Nigerian lagosian for that matter

U see! at times, some principles are better not applied to some standard.
Imaging a country or a situation where I don't have to spend up to an hour to get a scarce commodity supposed to be made available by government or her regulations.
And pls, do u really mean to take bike from Ikeja to lekki?
Thanks for taking time to reply...
I promise u to step up my games in a decent manner...like subcontracting such to available coy... Or calling them to take off some % and allow me to commence the biz d following day.
These are my expectated feedback from my dear NL Society.....
Don't have to do it in hard way cos am in Lagos or i want to be successive with my first trial.

Lol @ supplying akara!!! Don't despise any biz at all bro.
Imaging when passion is mixed with packaging for akara biz in Lagos, am sure more than 100 homes in Maryland will want me to do morning delivery for dia breakfast with my akara warmly delivered... I don't need more than 10 bycircles and riders with two frying dish at d back of my rented apartment...calculate 100 house by 500naira akara for 10 days in a month...(itt may not be everyday delivery ).bro, that's abt 500k in a month.... Oya! Minus beans,oil, seasining , gas, 10k per rider for a month for morning and evening delivery..…..see Profit,
Am only saying akara biz deserve respect unlike the way bn refered to by u.

Cc: 9japrof
Cc: amdman
Cc: mode
Cc: lallasticlla
Cc: front page
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by amdman: 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2016
@Phestosuah

With this your akara analysis, you obviously have the Lagos hustling spirit in abundance grin cheesy

More power to your elbow.

1 Like

Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Nobody: 10:27pm On Apr 08, 2016
Phestosuah:

Imaging a country or a situation where I don't have to spend up to an hour to get a scarce commodity supposed to be made available by government or her regulations.
I promise u to step up my games in a decent manner...like subcontracting such to available coy... Or calling them to take off some % and allow me to commence the biz d following day.
Don't have to do it in hard way cos am in Lagos or i want to be successive with my first trial.

Imaging when passion is mixed with packaging for akara biz in Lagos, am sure more than 100 homes in Maryland will want me to do morning delivery for dia breakfast with my akara warmly delivered... I don't need more than 10 bycircles and riders with two frying dish at d back of my rented apartment...calculate 100 house by 500naira akara for 10 days in a month...(itt may not be everyday delivery ).bro, that's abt 500k in a month.... Oya! Minus beans,oil, seasining , gas, 10k per rider for a month for morning and evening delivery..…..see Profit,

i could even enter truck back to get to lekki if na serious contract.....it seem u dont understand that oppurtunity comes one
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by Phestosuah(m): 10:46pm On Apr 08, 2016
Alikote:
i could even enter truck back to get to lekki if na serious contract.....it seem u dont understand that oppurtunity comes one

It's not an opportunity, if it was, that means the management of d coy given out d job favoured me based on nepotism or some kind of under ground moves....
I bided for the job amidst other competitors, and dey agreed to give me trial based on my presentation and for d fact that am ready to come 5% low from d lowest quatation.
That doesn't sounds opportunity to me but sacrifice and marketing strategy.
The opportunity shld av be their acceptance when i was pleading for more time to move my equipment and men.
Am only saying this to say that there are some cases u don't need to show any weakness even if u are weak indeed.
I won't go to that place unprepared for. It's better they called it off than messing up the standard.
Re: Whose Fault As I Lost My First Contract To Fuel Scarcity. by 9japrof(m): 7:53am On Apr 10, 2016
Phestosuah:

you don't have to blame the young dude, some people are not just wired to struggle even tho they come from an impoverished home. Maybe I have to blame the churches who always preach and teach prosperity instead of salvation or would I blame religion who has taught their followers destiny, that what will be will be.

Mistakes are bound to happen, that's for sure Buh I want the OP to learn his lessons and never to repeat them.

One love

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Youths Sleep In Coffins For Money In Kenya (photo) / 2 Ways You Can Start Your Own Lucrative Real Estate Business With Little Capital / MITM Scam, Don't Fall Victim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.