Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Why You Should Think Again Before Buying Land Around Dangote Refinery - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why You Should Think Again Before Buying Land Around Dangote Refinery (503 Views)

Land Investment In Lagos(estate Around Dangote Refinery)dry, Fenced with C OF O / 8 Factors To Consider Before Buying Land To Build Your Home / The 10 Commandments Of Buying Land In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why You Should Think Again Before Buying Land Around Dangote Refinery by CarroltonFarms: 6:23pm On Apr 08, 2016
I AM NOT SAYING "DON'T BUY" BUT THAT YOU SHOULD "THINK AGAIN" BEFORE BUYING!

Now that I've got that bit of disclaimer out of the way, here is why--Only in Naija you will see land owners and property developers advertise the proximity of their properties to a proposed petrochemical refinery (PCR), nowhere else in the world! Among the many and varied reasons an EIR (Environmental Impact Report) is required by the government before giving approval is the fact that refinery is a "smelly, polluted' place. But smelly is the least of your worries, if you happen to live next to one. The chemical emissions from refineries are numerous, and some have been linked to diseases as serious as leukemia and annoying ones as constant headache.

Our home is where we spend most of our times and most important of all, that's where you will raise your children! If you're thinking that's going to be an affluent neighborhood in the future, well you're very wrong. Globally, neighborhoods around refinery are not, and that's because of the pollution associated with refineries. So, while land maybe limited and they don't make them anymore, the value of land and neighborhood next to a refinery does not increase over time but actually decreases, and will also increase your likelihood of living with myriad of sickness.

Here are a few links, and I advise you to do your own research before investing in properties in that part of the town.

http://www.environmentalhealthnews.org/ehs/newscience/leukemia-higher-than-predicted-close-to-refinery

http://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/photos/the-7-worst-neighborhoods-near-refineries/oil-is-everywhere#top-desktop

http://www.alternet.org/story/156292/exposing_the_grave_dangers_of_life_in_an_oil_refinery_zone

PS: most of the stats I used in arriving at my conclusion are from the western hemisphere, so I made no provision for the "naija factor", which could either alleviate or exacerbate.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Electric Fence Wire Installer / Land For Sale In Lekki Phase1 / Tastefully 3bedroom Flat With 3bt/3t To Let @ Anthony 1yr.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.